Visitor Reviews - Kilvrecht Caravan And Camp Site

Kilvrecht Caravan And Camp Site
Kinloch
Rannoch
Perthshire   (Browse area)
PH17 2QJ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  1m  1m  1m

Open: Easter To October

Reviews:  21 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kaydeescoolcamping 3 reviews from this member

We've been twice to this site, once last summer and easter there. The first time we came I was dreading taking my husband and son because of the lack of facilities. This year my son works in computing and rather than moaning about not getting on his, enjoyed the freedom of not being able to get on it. We're so un-organised we decide the night before we're going so this suits us as you just turn up and don't have to book. At £8 per tent per night it's fantastic value if lots of you share a tent. I'd imagine midges would be a real problem but we were lucky and didn't see any. I really don't think I'd change anything about this site, I love it's simplicity, for me it has just enough creature comforts, running water, decent toilets, the only thing maybe would be hot water at the dishwashing area as trying to get grease off pans with cold was a challenge, we fixed that by taking a few kettles of boiling water but that meant one of us had to trail up and down to the tent to bring them. We will be back

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Happysunshine1912 3 reviews from this member

We camped at this site for a couple of nights at the start of September. You turn up and pitch where ever you want and the warden comes round in the evening to collect the money.

As the site is away from the main road and slightly out of the way it tends to be quieter than others in the area. There are no real facilities for children so if you're looking for entertainment you wont find it here. There is a good mixture of caravans/motorhomes and tents with plenty of room to pitch so no need to feel like you were too close to your neighbour.

There are midge machines but to be honest they didn't seem to be that effective. The site is well kept and has fairly basic but clean facilities. There are male and female toilet blocks(unlit)and wash rooms with cold water but no shower.

We loved this site, it is surrounded by woodland walks(great for the dog) and beautiful scenery.

Reviewer: Westcoaster 4 reviews from this member

I camped at this site in July. There's no need to book; you just turn up and the warden collects the fee in the evening or morning. For me, my tent and car it was a mere £8 - excellent! For backpackers it's a even cheaper at £5! It's a nice, well kept and spacious site and not too busy as Kilvrecht is a bit out of the way for most. There are plenty water points and disposal facilities. There are well marked forestry commission walks around the area and you're only about 1. 5 miles down a forestry track from Loch Rannoch or about 3 from Kinloch Rannoch where there is a great wee café and very well stocked shop with lots of camping necessities (including midge repellent which you WILL need!) On my visit there was a mix of caravans and family tents- and my tiny wee tent. (Solo campers like myself are seemingly quite common, so the warden told me). The warden said they don't allow large/rowdy groups as it's a 'quiet family site' which was fine with me! There were no children's' 'play' facilities, but most families I saw were making their own fun, playing football etc. With loads of room to tear about in. It's a great location for outdoorsy families or serious walkers (near Schiehallion for one). The toilet blocks are clean but unlit (bring a torch for night), and there's only cold water and no showers, but you can have a full wash in a cubicle which locks - it's really fine! It's a lovely quiet spot where you can fall asleep listening to the wind swishing in the pine trees. No fires are allowed as it's in the middle of the forestry, but there are handy benches with metal 'trays' at one end for stoves and BBQs and I noticed a few people with 'fire baskets'. DO bring midgie repellent though - there are 'midge eaters' on site, but honestly, there were hoards of the wee brutes everywhere, especially at the edges of the site under the trees and they drove me demented in the evening and morning. Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and plan to visit again.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Lumatrix 5 reviews from this member

This is a lovely area of Scotland with difficult access roads that make it a bit remote and usually very peaceful. We visited for the first time on a very hot weekend 75-80 Degrees of heat and the forest walks are sublime. The leaves of the many aspen trees on the site abound and shimmer in a spell binding way in a slight breeze. Many other reviewers have mentioned the facilities - or mainly the lack of them but the two basic necessities are well catered for. There are plentiful supplies of fresh water taps and a clean and easy to use chemical toilet disposal. These are the only two requirements that we have of a site and the price - now £8 for all seasons and all camping rigs - though backpackers are cheaper yet.

Highly recommended the wardens care for their forest AND their customers is exemplary. We will be back and thanks to the pleasant welcome and peaceful stay.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cannygoabike 1 review from this member

This is a basic campsite, almost wild camping. That's not a criticism because it's what we wanted and exactly as advertised. The site is essentially a level, well kept field with a 'forestry road' type of track for vehicles.

Just pitch up (no booking) and the warden will come round in the evening and take payment in cash.

The toilet block is basic but functional and very clean. There are no showers or hot water. The block had been upgraded since our last visit to include cubicles where you can have what I would call a 'proper wash' behind the privacy of a locked door. It may sound a bit spartan but it really is fine. Again, I have to say that it is advertised accordingly.

The village of Kinloch Rannoch is only 3 miles (ish)away and has a shop and off licence where you can get most of the essentials. Thgere are a couple of hotels where you can have a meal. There is no filling station - there used to be but it's closed. The nearest fuel is the town of Pitlochry which is about 16 miles away.

The surrounding area is great for walking. The local mountain called Schihallion is a great day out and there are also many more sedate walks marked out by the camp site.

I like this place and return annually. I suspect because it is so basic that it does not attract the party animal, so I am confident that I can completely relax in an place shared by like minded people. I am not against the louder, party type environment but this place is not one of them.

If this is your cup of tea then I highly recommend it.

Date of Visit: September 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Theborderterriers 1 review from this member

We spent 2 nights on the site in glorious, if extremely cold weather. As it says in the description this is a no frills site, however as such it excels. The toilet and washing area was always spotless and supplied with toilet paper and paper towels.

The site covers a large area and is broken up with small clumps of trees/bushes which serve to give a degree of privacy. There are picnic tables dotted about the site and these have a metal plate attached to allow disposable BBQs to be used, a very nice touch.

The warden was very diligent and always had time for a chat and willing to take time to give information when asked.

There are many lovely walks which can be accessed from the site, these vary from quite short to long.

We were only in the local shop once but it appears to be well stocked.

I can imagine the site would suffer badly from midges during the summer months, however we did not encounter any on our stay. We are already planning another visit to the site for next year.

Previous     21 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Perthshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers