Visitor Reviews - Brownmuir Caravan Park

Brownmuir Caravan Park
Fordoun
Laurencekirk
Aberdeenshire   (Browse area)
AB30 1SJ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01561 320786

1m  1m  1m  10m  1m  1m  1m   10m  10m  10m

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  7 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Ehr100 3 reviews from this member

Sadly we did experience personal problems with the owners.

During our overnight stay the toilet block was accessed by a key. This we had no problem with. What we did find was the toilets were a little unclean, as there are no brushes to wipe the pan with after use. The wardens have admitted that the toilets are cleaned twice a day-unfortunately from our stay from 1. 30pm until 9am the next morning-the male toilets had not been cleaned, and the toilets were very uninviting.

At 25. 00 per night per unit, I would have expected a lot more facilities on site. Ideal for just a overnight stop-over.

Although the above did spoil our visit, the site was ok.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jan + Nige 2 reviews from this member

The site is excellent, well drained and with good facilities. It was kept clean and tidy, and had everything a family of 4 needed for a good holiday. While we were there, we had some trouble with our car.

We fetched basic supplies from the local shop in Auchenblae, about 30 mins walk. The shop sold fresh bread, milk, eggs, bacon, ham etc. As well as newspapers and local produce.

The site owners could not have been more helpful. Apart from freezing our ice packs and checking the facilities at least twice a day, they also ensured that the site was quiet at night. They even ran my husband into Laurencekirk to fetch the car when it was fixed.

We will be going back. This is a stunning part of the world. Coastal towns and villages are rugged but beautiful, and the hills nearby are spectacular. We had an amazing day climbing Clachnaben, a local mountain. (well, nearly a mountain) Local supermarkets included Tesco and Morrisons in Banchory, both with petrol.

The only downside to this site is that the tent area is next to the popular play area. Great if you have small kids, a bit noisy otherwise.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kevinmacdonald 3 reviews from this member

When I rate things, they're given a perfect score and points removed for the bad things.

OK, when you find this place, either tag in it your GPS or phone, or don't leave! must've got lost twice a day in the 3 days we were there. More to do with me than the site I think. No shop on the site, but located further down the road. A bit of a pain if your rough and want a bacon roll

On first appearance the site is very well maintained, save for a few pot holes and a faulty fence.

Toilet block is dated but clean. As previously reviewed, 20p for a shower, but nowhere to get change! Washer and drier located in the potwash area, 2. 50 a turn. They are large so I dare say you'd get a lot in there. A few books also in the potwash, I'm guessing you can borrow them, so long as you don't steal them.

Dogs are accepted under reasonable control. We kept ours on the leash in the dog walking area, but noticed other residents didn't bother so we let ours play amongst themselves. I'm very strict when it comes to dog poop, mine know the rules, poop first, play later. This means they are not allowed to run around until they've moved their bowels, this means I can always clean up after them. As we were leaving, the owners came over and asked me to 'clean up your dog sh*t before you go' I found this a little hostile and went with her to investigate. She had found a turd that did not belong to me, I know my dogs poop, I've been picking it up for years. However, I had bags and alcohol gel in my pocket so I cleaned it up to be nice, told her it wasn't one of mine, and she argued the point with me, saying that dogs should be under control. I politely explained that It wasn't mine, and nobody else clipped their dogs so its almost impossible to say who is belongs to. There are no rules about dogs anywhere on the site (other than 'No dogs in the playpark') but I was made to feel like a 2nd rate citizen.

Will I return? No, not if my life depended on it. Park was quiet, apart from rush hour, but there are several other parks in the area that offer better services. From the top of my head, Johnshaven, about 8-10 miles away. Campsite is right on the waterfront, and the people are lovely and much more relaxed.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hev24 8 reviews from this member

Lovely, quiet site with level pitches. We didn't need EHU so pitched near the toilets looking on to the playpark.

The site is mainly for statics with a small touring area but is laid out in such a way that you don't feel over looked or squeezed in.

The toilet block is old but was kept very clean and showers were 20p for 6 mins. Small laundry room with washers and sink and a dedicated drying area for tourers. The water points were dotted around the park.

The playpark was good especially as we could keep an eye on our youngest while she still managed to get the freedom to run about.

There is no shop on site but there are local shops a few minutes drive away or bigger supermarkets in Stonehaven and beyond.

We felt this site was very good value for money at only 13 per night for a family of 4 and will definitely use it again when visiting the area.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Chelltiger 9 reviews from this member

We booked this site for 10 nights but only stayed 9. The early leave was not due to the campsite though, but weather, insects and OH being stubborn.

The facilities are basic but clean. Only 1 shower and was 20p a shot but worth it as they had good hot water with a good blast of water pressure. Downside to that is making sure we had a collection of 20ps.

Washing machine was pretty good but the drier was crap and was out of order a couple of days later. We had chosen this site as it had a launderette so we didn't take too many clothes as we'd wash them but just could not get them dry as weather didn't allow them to dry on line. Had no idea where there was another laundrette locally to us, so we started to whiff a bit.

There isn't much to do in the immediate local area for us, (though for others who like walking and nature there maybe) but we were closeish to family and this trip was about visiting them. Had we not had family in the area we wouldn't have enjoyed the trip half as much.

The playground was pretty good. It did attract the children some were unkind and exclusive to ours (as expected due to their autism) but others were just marvellous and made my children's holiday special. 2 young girls really left a mark as they played with my daughter and accepted her for who she is and they let her ride their bikes and she has finally learnt how to ride a bike on her own at age 11, so very pleased about that.

It did rain (expected) which left the ground sodden and covered in pools of water. (not expected)

Unfortunately this seemed to effect our footprint badly and at the end of our time there it stank awful and didn't protect the tent as much as we thought it would not sure if it was the footprint or the site though or even both.

It was good value but if the drier had been working then it would have been better.

The wardens were nice and we didn't see much of them, except when they emptied the bins in the washing area. Hadn't been told where the bins were on arrival and only found the bin in the wash room and was then told about the recycling so recycled from that day forth though no plastic recycling yet.

Was a very quiet site and not heaving with people. Didn't find the nearest shop as imagined this was in the village, but found a good shop (a coop sort of shop) in next village which sold most of what we needed (including for special diets)and it was 4 miles away

There weren't many pubs or restaurants and certainly no fast food places, so got to cook and eat at the campsite.

I don't think we would return to this site for a long stay but head further north and travel to visit the relatives, giving us more things to do when not visiting family. We may have a night on our way up further north though.

Date of Visit: August 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Deeko.d 5 reviews from this member

Great site. We loved the quietness of the site, combined with Aberdeen / Dundee both within an hours drive, and Stonehaven only 20mins away with a heated outdoor swimming pool (they pump in water from the sea, clean it, heat it). The swimming pool in Stonehaven is great, as long as the weather is kind. They have chutes, loungers and a cafe so you coul spend most of the day there.
The toilets in the site were basic and needed upgrading, but they were spotless. Cheap shopping can be found at somerfields or co-op at Stonehaven, but no shop on site.
Great play area for the kids in the middle of the site tents without hook ups pitch right next to it, tents with hook ups pitch with the tourers. Both tent areas flat. We pitched next to the toilet block so we could sit at the tent and watch the kids play in the play area - perfect! Only 30 for family of four for two nights with EHU - an absolute bargain.
Would highly recommend and will be back again very often. Site staff very friendly and came over to see we got pitched OK.

Previous     7 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Aberdeenshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!