Visitor Reviews - Craken House Caravan Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Craken House Caravan Site
Middleham Road
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
DL8 5HF   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01969 623192

1m  1m  1m 5m  5m   5m  1m  1m

Open: April To October

Reviews:  107 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Johng4rcg 2 reviews from this member

Went to Craken House Caravan Site for the first time for a long weekend and I must say that it is one of the friendliest sites I have been to for a long time, the owner Richard can not do enough for you, he greeted us as we arrived with a big smile, asked us to just pull onto the top field and then to walk with him so he could show us our pitch and all the facilities one by one, all of which were excellent

The pitch we had in the top field was only for couples, the lower field was for tents and caravans with families which mad it lovely and quiet for us, we had 3 days there and we will definitely be returning in the new year

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: HighSlayer 2 reviews from this member

I couldn't not leave a review after visiting this amazing site.

I found the details here on UKCampsite as the nearby site I was considering just looked so commercial and I fancied a quiet getaway.

I phoned to check they could accommodate my tent and spoke to Richard. Such a nice guy and so easy to get on with that I made up my mind there and then.

Originally booked for 4 nights but ended up staying an extra 2 nights as we loved it so much.

It's a small site, just 25 pitches. There is a 'private paddock' subject to availability which is beautiful and allows just 1 unit and exclusive use. There are 2 further areas - 1 is for couples only with no children allowed and the other is a family area. I was a little surprised as to which was which as for me I'd have had them the other way around. We were given a choice of pitches by Richard and as it was quiet and out of season we chose one in the family area with morning sun and gorgeous views across Wensleydale. There is also a large dog-walking area.

Richard insists on giving everyone a full guided tour of the site and facilities which also gives a great opportunity to get to know each other. Genuinely, nothing is too much trouble for him and he takes amazing care of the site.

Grass is regularly cut and removed (and 'donated' to the cows and sheep on the farm!).

Facilities are few but immaculate and extremely well presented. There is a beautiful utility hut with several sinks for washing up, bowls, drainers etc. Richard even leaves a kettle in there so you can make a cuppa whilst doing the washing up! There is a small communal fridge/freezer for use by campers and a washer/dryer available for a small charge (2 per wash or dry). Everything is spotless, homely and lovely.

There are only 2 toilets for men and 2 for women. Each of the mens is in a separate luxury type shed/cabin and has a proper toilet, sink, soap, toilet roll and paper hand towel. Again, immaculate!

Just 1 shower for men and 1 for ladies too. Again, they are immaculately clean and spacious with a wet area, shower and dry area. Plenty of room.

Richard is aware that the number of facilities is at a stretch and I would imagine at peak times there can be waits. Have to say I didn't have to wait for the loo at all and only once waited for a shower, but it was quiet.

Although only a mile from Leyburn town there is no phone signal and no wifi on site, which for me was a blessing. However Leyburn has free wi-fi throughout the town

What's really hard to put into words is just how peaceful, stress-free and relaxing the site is. Richard is always on hand but never intrusive, other campers all seem to be friendly, helpful and respectful (at least whilst we were there) and although on the weekend there were some children there making the usual kiddy noises they were polite and friendly. There is plenty of space for the kids to run around and let loose but no actual play area - again this is not a site for those who want everything laid on.

The family field is on a slight slope but is pretty flat - no bumps or lumps. We pitched the tent to give us the best view but found this made the slope seem worse so next time would perhaps pitch it the same way the caravans are pitched. The other field looks pretty much flat. Pitches are of an extremely generous size - the biggest I've ever seen and there is electric hookup included in the price. No extra charge for a porch/awning/Pup either as long as you stay within your pitch. That is a properly fair way to do things, not the money-grabbing methods some sites use. I have a Kalahari Elite 8 tent with porch which probably runs about 11-12 metres with guy ropes and we had plenty of room for that and to park the car, with the next pitch still some way off.

The site is set amongst a working farm. When you drive into the site you drive (slowly please!) along a road through a field of sheep with some cows too. The toilet/utility room is opposite a field of cows. They are very friendly and you may get to stroke one! This does mean there are occasional Moos and Baaahs but they are not intrusive and fortunately both the cows and sheep have early bedtimes!

Being in North Yorkshire there is also the occasional fly by of military jets. It's not regular or even often so they arent intrusive but instead get everyone looking up with Ooohs and Aaahs (not Moos and Baaahs). A pleasant and occasional distraction. The family field also has views of the most amazing sunsets!

There is no shop/bar/entertainment etc - just peace and quiet. However Leyburn has pretty much everything (unless you want fish and chips on a Sunday!) you could need and is only a short walk or shorter drive away. There are no bans on BBQs or open fires though if you have anything which is likely to burn the grass then just let Richard know as he will happily bring over a paving slab for you to use. As I mentioned, nothing seems to much trouble for Richard - him and his tractor will even help tow you on/off if you need the help.

Apart from the number of facilities there is just nothing to fault on this site. In fact the site is so popular with returning visitors that there is often a long lead times for booking. I can understand that because I will be going again myself - as often as I can!

Oh, and it's only a 10 minute walk to the Little Chocolate Shop where they make amazing chocolates on site!

Genuinely - this is a really really great site!

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Oriacally 1 review from this member

Visited this great little site twice in a fortnight! The owner is very attentive and helpful! The site itself in my opinion is quirky (in a lovely way) Facilities are immaculate. Views to die for!. It, s a pleasure to wake up and look out of the window! The site itself is sooo quiet at night, (I think even the birds whisper!)All in all it, s a credit to the owner and his family for all the hard work they put in. Thanks for a lovely stay. Trevor/Alison

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: FunkyDiver 1 review from this member

Although I don't have a reference point in my scoring for Craken House other than the time we've had this week, I will endeavour to justify the scoring I have given.

The site location is easy to access for most vehicles, there were plenty of caravans and campers on site when we were there. We were in a tent though, so not a primary concern.

The site itself is laid out in such a way that there are two main pitch areas, the upper field seemed to be for couples (which was definitely quieter!) with the family units being located in the same lower area, which was great for our 4 children as friends were made quickly and all the kids were able to do what kids do best with enough freedom to let them get on with it. Although there isn't a formal play ground, there were enough natural features for all manner of exploring and enjoyment. The layout of the park meant it was easy to set boundaries, with the adjoining fields housing cows, sheep and horses. Make no mistake, you are truly visiting a lovely scenic countryside location with wonderful views south towards Middleham. Catterick Garrison is located North East of the site, with RAF Leeming South East. What this meant was that you could hear the live firing excercises on an evening, but it was an interesting noise, not a disrupting one. There were a couple of occasions of military aircraft flaying past the southern side of the site, again, not an intrusion and was a welcome sight. Seeing a C130 cruise past just a couple of hundred meters above the ground had everyone looking, out of wonderment. Do not get me wrong, neither of these elements were unwelcome intrusions, and were a positive impact to the break and provided both learning and talking points with our children.

Facilities on the site were spotless. And I mean SPOTLESS. The toilets were proper toilet rooms, with air fresheners, proper flushing loos and enough room to be able to swing a cat if you took one. Showering on a morning was a welcome treat for me, with hot water and enough room to get undressed and dried off again. Apparently, new for this year was the utility room, with 3 washing up sinks, access to power with USB sockets to charge power banks. Access to both a fridge freezer and washer dryer, the dryer came in handy when our tent decided that one of our pillows was looking a bit parched and towels hadn't dried in the evening drizzle. There are two sets of refuse/recycling facilities along with 2 fresh water taps suitable for drinking water. There is also a centrally located toilet disposal point (although we didn't have any use for it).

Richard was a very attentive host, and never too busy for a chat, but at the same time very accommodating.

All in all, if every future camping adventure was supported with the facilities of this site, I can't see how we would go wrong. We are already looking at going back again next year, this time though for longer!

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bobnjean 5 reviews from this member

Arrived late on site but owner had left detailed instructions for us, as promised.

Access to the site is easy enough. A couple of sharp turns in the farm yard, through a narrow stone walled track onto the site itself looks very difficult as you approach, but there's plenty of space to swing wide, so it's not as bad as it looks!

We were located on the lower field, which is small and beautifully kept. We met the owner next day, who was friendly and helpful (He even lent us a local walking guide for the week ). Quiet and relaxed, spacious pitches and a lovely view from our particular pitch.

Toilets and free showers are very clean, with plenty of hot water in the showers when we used them.

Its a mile walk into Leyburn with a steep climb for part of the way, whichever way you go. Leyburn is small but pleasant and has a selection of pubs, cafes, a chip shop and a couple of restaurants.

Friendly owner, good location and reasonable rates. Would definitely recommend it.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Paul15 9 reviews from this member

Well what can I say, arrived monday 13th june here for 3 nights, this is a return visit to this site. Welcomed by richards father, same pitch as last time remembered us as a twin wheel rig. The field is like a bowling green, slightly sloping, great views, facilities are great cant fault the place. Nice walk into leyburn, all this for 20 quid a night.

Previous     107 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Win a pair of OLPRO Hush Sleeping Bags worth 48.00 Win a HandiMoova Off-road Foldable Hand Trolley!

UKCS Meet Beat at Tencreek 60s Weekend, Cornwall - 14th to 16th October
A Sounds of the Swinging Sixties long weekend concert with camping on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016