Visitor Reviews - Craken House Caravan Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Craken House Caravan Site
Middleham Road
Leyburn
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
DL8 5HF   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01969 623192

1m  1m  1m 5m  5m   5m  1m  1m

Open: April To October

Reviews:  110 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win 100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Tdawn 1 review from this member

Just come back from a weekend visit after seeing all the other reviews felt this was the relaxing weekend we were in much need of and we were not disappointed we didn't want to come home. Richard and Lynn could not have been more welcoming guiding us to our pitch and the views were stunning, Richard took us on the figure of 8 tour of the site and the facilities one part just for families the other for adults without children, the pitches were massive and the grass mowed regularly and the facilities were spotless. There is two toilets and one shower for ladies and the same for men but I never had to wait, the water was a lovely hot temperature even at night. There is a cabin with washer dryer fridge/freezer kettle leaflets for use if needed and also in the ladies a hairdryer.

Nothing is too much for Richard and so friendly and pleasent always happy to chat and make you feel at home. All in all this site is just perfect, a little bit of heaven

Date of Visit: March 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Summersmum 20 reviews from this member

Lovely welcome from Richard despite the recent weather meaning his camping field was sodden. He had opened the campsite early for a few bookings but unfortunately it had rained solidly the day before. He pointed out what he thought was the best spot but we sank overnight - not a problem though as Richard kindly towed us out with his tractor. Facilities are clean and offer one shower and two toilets for each sex. No heating so was a bit chilly when showering. Push button on shower also water could have been a bit hotter but no major issue (apparently last year people said it was too hot!). Lovely views across to Middleham and walkable into Leyburn. Large field to walk dog in too. Great little site which I'm sure we will return to.

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jondy376 40 reviews from this member

We stayed at Craken house twice in 2016. Both times everything was perfect, Richard was really friendly and helpful. The view across the valley towards Middleham is stunning. Plenty of great walks. A good walk is to catch the train to Redmire and walk back across the fields and along the Shawl with a tea room around half way

Date of Visit: October 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Johng4rcg 2 reviews from this member

Went to Craken House Caravan Site for the first time for a long weekend and I must say that it is one of the friendliest sites I have been to for a long time, the owner Richard can not do enough for you, he greeted us as we arrived with a big smile, asked us to just pull onto the top field and then to walk with him so he could show us our pitch and all the facilities one by one, all of which were excellent

The pitch we had in the top field was only for couples, the lower field was for tents and caravans with families which mad it lovely and quiet for us, we had 3 days there and we will definitely be returning in the new year

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: HighSlayer 3 reviews from this member

I couldn't not leave a review after visiting this amazing site.

I found the details here on UKCampsite as the nearby site I was considering just looked so commercial and I fancied a quiet getaway.

I phoned to check they could accommodate my tent and spoke to Richard. Such a nice guy and so easy to get on with that I made up my mind there and then.

Originally booked for 4 nights but ended up staying an extra 2 nights as we loved it so much.

It's a small site, just 25 pitches. There is a 'private paddock' subject to availability which is beautiful and allows just 1 unit and exclusive use. There are 2 further areas - 1 is for couples only with no children allowed and the other is a family area. I was a little surprised as to which was which as for me I'd have had them the other way around. We were given a choice of pitches by Richard and as it was quiet and out of season we chose one in the family area with morning sun and gorgeous views across Wensleydale. There is also a large dog-walking area.

Richard insists on giving everyone a full guided tour of the site and facilities which also gives a great opportunity to get to know each other. Genuinely, nothing is too much trouble for him and he takes amazing care of the site.

Grass is regularly cut and removed (and 'donated' to the cows and sheep on the farm!).

Facilities are few but immaculate and extremely well presented. There is a beautiful utility hut with several sinks for washing up, bowls, drainers etc. Richard even leaves a kettle in there so you can make a cuppa whilst doing the washing up! There is a small communal fridge/freezer for use by campers and a washer/dryer available for a small charge (2 per wash or dry). Everything is spotless, homely and lovely.

There are only 2 toilets for men and 2 for women. Each of the mens is in a separate luxury type shed/cabin and has a proper toilet, sink, soap, toilet roll and paper hand towel. Again, immaculate!

Just 1 shower for men and 1 for ladies too. Again, they are immaculately clean and spacious with a wet area, shower and dry area. Plenty of room.

Richard is aware that the number of facilities is at a stretch and I would imagine at peak times there can be waits. Have to say I didn't have to wait for the loo at all and only once waited for a shower, but it was quiet.

Although only a mile from Leyburn town there is no phone signal and no wifi on site, which for me was a blessing. However Leyburn has free wi-fi throughout the town

What's really hard to put into words is just how peaceful, stress-free and relaxing the site is. Richard is always on hand but never intrusive, other campers all seem to be friendly, helpful and respectful (at least whilst we were there) and although on the weekend there were some children there making the usual kiddy noises they were polite and friendly. There is plenty of space for the kids to run around and let loose but no actual play area - again this is not a site for those who want everything laid on.

The family field is on a slight slope but is pretty flat - no bumps or lumps. We pitched the tent to give us the best view but found this made the slope seem worse so next time would perhaps pitch it the same way the caravans are pitched. The other field looks pretty much flat. Pitches are of an extremely generous size - the biggest I've ever seen and there is electric hookup included in the price. No extra charge for a porch/awning/Pup either as long as you stay within your pitch. That is a properly fair way to do things, not the money-grabbing methods some sites use. I have a Kalahari Elite 8 tent with porch which probably runs about 11-12 metres with guy ropes and we had plenty of room for that and to park the car, with the next pitch still some way off.

The site is set amongst a working farm. When you drive into the site you drive (slowly please!) along a road through a field of sheep with some cows too. The toilet/utility room is opposite a field of cows. They are very friendly and you may get to stroke one! This does mean there are occasional Moos and Baaahs but they are not intrusive and fortunately both the cows and sheep have early bedtimes!

Being in North Yorkshire there is also the occasional fly by of military jets. It's not regular or even often so they arent intrusive but instead get everyone looking up with Ooohs and Aaahs (not Moos and Baaahs). A pleasant and occasional distraction. The family field also has views of the most amazing sunsets!

There is no shop/bar/entertainment etc - just peace and quiet. However Leyburn has pretty much everything (unless you want fish and chips on a Sunday!) you could need and is only a short walk or shorter drive away. There are no bans on BBQs or open fires though if you have anything which is likely to burn the grass then just let Richard know as he will happily bring over a paving slab for you to use. As I mentioned, nothing seems to much trouble for Richard - him and his tractor will even help tow you on/off if you need the help.

Apart from the number of facilities there is just nothing to fault on this site. In fact the site is so popular with returning visitors that there is often a long lead times for booking. I can understand that because I will be going again myself - as often as I can!

Oh, and it's only a 10 minute walk to the Little Chocolate Shop where they make amazing chocolates on site!

Genuinely - this is a really really great site!

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Oriacally 1 review from this member

Visited this great little site twice in a fortnight! The owner is very attentive and helpful! The site itself in my opinion is quirky (in a lovely way) Facilities are immaculate. Views to die for!. It, s a pleasure to wake up and look out of the window! The site itself is sooo quiet at night, (I think even the birds whisper!)All in all it, s a credit to the owner and his family for all the hard work they put in. Thanks for a lovely stay. Trevor/Alison

Previous     110 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Win an Outwell sleeping package worth over 272 Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to 175!

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game & Country Fair - 22nd to 23rd April
Something for the whole family to enjoy at the show, including your dog ...more