Visitor Reviews - Llanystumdwy Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Tyddyn Siane
Llanystumdwy
Criccieth
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL52 0LS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Open: 01 Apr 2014 - 03 Nov 2014

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  16 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Olliesmum 2 reviews from this member

Arriving on Saturday at midday the staff member appeared quickly after I rang the bell to enquire if there was room for our small motorhome. Advised me there was grass only and I had better not get stuck because he could not pull me out! He then offered to let me park on the roadway, which I did and was able to level up the vehicle without any trouble.

The site was clean and neatly mown, the facilities block was clean with loads of hot water, there was a dog walking area which was no more than a square of grass but unlike others I did walk my dog around the site without receiving the wrath of the warden. The stay was adequate but I would not go back. I am used to receiving a welcome more in line with the CCC 'The Friendly Club' strapline of we are here to help.

I will not talk down the slopes, the road noise or distance to the village! Come on folks, nothing can be done about any of that and a google earth search beforehand can tell you all you need to know, even down to the place being next to the Lleyn peninsular main road.

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jaybeeretired 2 reviews from this member

A convenient site for exploring the area. Very few pitches that arent sloping in at least one direction. There are logs and bricks etc lying around to aid levelling but Id say be prepared with your own familiar equipment for the job. We were greeted on arrival and helped to choose a site best suited to us and our tourer. The facilities are spotlessly clean and during our stay the water available in the block was super HOT. Hair dryer p. A. Y. G. Available, as is wifi. Very quiet site people wise -seems to be older couples and no families. No playground, but a separate field for kicking a football around or picnicing -(but no dogs allowed on it). A small area is available for dog walking and pooing, but although it may look it, it isnt fenced securely, so I personally wouldn't let my dog off its lead.

One of the two roads the site is between was very noisy all day, but less so at night.

The site even without levelling problems is not very disabled friendly in terms of water and chemical disposal. The fresh water tap area by us had a raised concrete plinth all round, so you had to pull your full water container up and over it rather than there being a gap. The chemical waste was basically a small toilet compartment size building with a hole in the middle of the floor and a grill over it to place your container on. The problem? To reach it you had to hoist your full and heavy Thetford cassette up an 8 inch+ high step! Too hard for one oldie and not really enough space for two people to share the task.

Wardens super friendly and helpful, generally well kept attractive site with grass kept very short. The village by road, is a fair walk, not just a few minutes. Buses appear to pass the site regularly, but I understand they don't accept bus passes from outside the area.

The 'shop' is situated within the small site office, and has very limited stock.

This may not be general, but on our pitch, we found that for communications, our Orange phone had only one bar of reception, and our 02 one flitted about between 2 and full. A problem I suspect will be common on many sites in the area.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Peterspal 1 review from this member

I stayed at this site earlier in the year. It was my third visit and I occupied a grass pitch with no EHU.

The site is not perfect, it is mostly sloping and there is some road noise but nevertheless it is one of my favourite C&CC sites. I have been lucky on all my visits in that I have been given a more or less flat pitch in a small area which is also sheltered and convenient for the ablutions block. Having said that, all my visits have been outside peak times.

The ablutions block is up to the usual C&CC high standard.

The welcome I received was excellent and I found the staff very friendly throughout my stay.

I can't comment on child friendliness but I did notice that the site has a large separate playing field although this is also on a slope.

The site is a few minutes walk from the pleasant village of LLanystumdwy which has a pub, a cafe by the river and the Lloyd George museum. I did not try the cafe or museum but did visit the pub. I found this to be an excellent village pub. At the time of my most recent visit it was selling three different real ales (all from Welsh breweries) and a variety of ciders. It also does what looked to be appetising meals but I did not try one.

As a previous reviewer has commented, the pub staff and locals speak mainly in Welsh when talking amongst themselves. I do not see anything strange in this, after all if I go to France I expect the locals to speak mainly in French. I also found that the Welsh speakers were only too happy to have a friendly conversation in English with myself and other English people when the occasion arose, so I would not suggest that anyone is put off by this.

I am looking forward to visiting this site again.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dopey Tart 4 reviews from this member

I've read reviews about road noise and slopes and thought perhaps people were over elaborating - wrong! Despite the friendly welcome everything negative that's been said about this site is true.

We were on a horrible slope near to the main road, to be honest I was glad to get home which is a shame because it is such a lovely area. Not one of CCC better sites in my opinion.

Criccieth is a lovely little town with a castle and we found The Lion Hotel the best place to eat out.

After a visit to the local pub near the site I was put off by the staff speaking in their native tongues and considering I'm from Wales originally I still find this practice rude.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Graciee 1 review from this member

There's some really good points to this campsite; very well kept, spotless toilet & shower block, the receptionist was very friendly and welcoming. I was a bit worried about the slope, but it was fine in the tent area (I have a bell tent and has no problems pitching).

There's a cycle track offroad for most of the way to Abererch which was really handy.

It is right next to an A road, which is noisy during the day, but quietens down at night.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Midwaymark 4 reviews from this member

Made the mistake of going over a Bank Holiday weekend and despite arriving midweek, the site was very busy, the facilities were up to the usual C&CC standard and just able to cope.

The position of the site is between 2 roads, 1 a bypass of the village and is very busy and noisy.

The worst thing about this site is the fact that is on a fairly steep slope and even with ramps and blocks of wood we couldn't get level the wardens helpful comment of 'You can't expect to get it perfect' was a touch too near the mark as we were on a distinct incline, caravans legs are precariously perched on cut logs to achieve levelness.

I think the wardens did the best they could with what they were given but as a club site, a bit of a let down. Site made up for by the glorious scenery,

Bus stops at the gate for you and is quite regular. The pub in the village is about 15 minutes pleasant walk away and is OK, Will continue to visit North Wales but not at this site.

Previous     16 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!