Visitor Reviews - Salisbury Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Wiltshire > Site Reviews

Salisbury Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Hudsons Field
Castle Road
Salisbury
Wiltshire   (Browse area)
SP1 3SA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01722 320713

1m

Open: 26 Mar 2015 - 02 Nov 2015

Reviews:  67 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Phoebesgran 2 reviews from this member

This was my second visit to the site. I was there last year for my first solo camping trip and went back this year with my daughter and 8 year old granddaughter.

On both visits the site was fairly busy but not full and didn't feel at all crowded.

I chose to have the same pitch on both occasions. It's at the top of the hill on the left hand side where the hedge and adjacent rugby club building give a bit of shelter. There is a little noise from the club but nothing that has caused me a problem (and I'm the sort who moans about noise!). The views from this pitch are lovely and it's not too far from the shower block.

On the most recent visit we experienced an incredibly wet day, a months rain fell on that single day, but the pitch drained well and I was amazed at how dry the groundsheets were when we packed up the following day.

The wardens at this site are friendly and helpful. They seem very committed to helping visitors feel comfortable. On the occasion when I was there alone the warden called by every evening to check that I was ok, which I really appreciated.

Previous reviews have covered the location so I won't go into detail but I really like being able to walk into the city and the easy access to routes around the area. It can take a while to get across the city by car, as the traffic is busy, but no worse than most towns.

The shower/ toilet facilities on site are spotlessly clean and plentiful. The reception / shop is clean and organised and stocks essentials.

In addition to the fish and chip van a pizza stall now visits, I think that was on Thursday, and there also seemed to be a breakfast van. I didn't look to see what they were offering but could smell bacon and see people drinking coffee.

On one evening we visited Stonehenge. It's only half an hour drive and I can recommend going late afternoon. We had tickets for 5. 30 pm when it was fairly quiet but fully open. On our only full day at the site the weather was so awful we had to abandon the plan to go to the New Forest and find something to do indoors. We drove to Dorchester, about an hours drive, and bought a combined ticket to the Tutenkhamun Exhibition, the Teddy Bear Museum, The Dinosaur Museum and the Terracotta Warriors exhibition. They were all quite small places so it was possible to see them all in an afternoon but very well presented. We had lunch in Wetherspoons which was excellent value.

A lovely site in a fabulous area. I can't wait to go back.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Eatcustard 1 review from this member

Cont complain at all, the wardens are very friendly the fellow campers were also friendly.

The 2 toilet blocks are clean

Great for dog walks

Easy access to the city (20 min walk) or a short drive to the coast if needed.

The only moan if any is the slope is bigger then expected, but a decent ramp and chock will sort that out.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Acornis 14 reviews from this member

A regular stop off site for us when we trip down to Devon or Cornwall. Just a couple of nights this time. Its still a well run clean and tidy site, with good facilities. All new staff this time by the look of things. A walk into Salisbury via the river walk, first time for as long as I can remember the Cathedral was scaffold free. Complete with the obligatory visit to Heale house gardens and nursery.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Trubytribute 11 reviews from this member

This campsite was chosen because of its proximity to little villages where my husband's ancestors had come from and it was an ideal base, not only for that but Stonehenge and so many other places.

It was on the edge of playing fields and I wondered about noise from this but there was none. The staff were very friendly but oh so busy when we arrived and for the length of our stay. They said a lot of people use it as a stop over for ferries.

The views of old Sarum were just as in the books, amazing and as I gazed at it I wondered about the people who had lived there. It is owned by English Heritage and is an easy off road walk from the campsite and even if you only walk on the surrounding embankment the views back over Salisbury are lovely and the Cathedral stands out really well from there.

The field and surrounding area is great for dog walking and children could play safely there too.

We went to the village of Kilmington to find the church where so many Laphams were born and seems to be a hot spot and then to the Deverills. I guess the distance between can only be about 5 miles or so but the difference in the landscape was amazing. The road from Mere (along the B3095) to the Deverills was a steep climb and the most amazing views towards the Salisbury area. We were at quite a height. Mere itself was a lovely little place and as we actually went wrong on our way back from the Deverills and ended up going along the B3089 to Wilton. What a great mistake. Lovely little villages and scenery. I would recommend going off the main roads as this is lovely country.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Timetravellers 4 reviews from this member

This is a lovely, open site with great views across the countryside. It is a grassy, well-kept site and is easy to access. There is no shelter and it was quite breezy while we were there but this aspect is what gives you the views. Nice sunsets too! As the details say, it is sloping but the pitches nearer the top of the site are almost level and we were easily able to level our 'van on pitch 38. The site is divided into two and the lower site does slope away a lot so at busy times it may be hard to avoid a sloping pitch. The facilities were modern and spotless. One morning I did find the shower very hot and only just bearable, there is no control over the temperature which is a shame but is often the case. The staff are all friendly and when we needed a bit of extra help we were given time and expertise for which we were most grateful. Other people staying on the site were friendly too. The fish and chip van opens on Wednesday and Friday evenings, we bought chips to go with our steak! There are a few provisions available in the reception shop but a good Co-op is only 10 minutes walk away along the main road. The walk into Salisbury is easy enough, although to get to the cathedral took us around 40 minutes. The Salisbury sausage shop is a must, 60 varieties! including some 'non-pork' based varieties. They also sell pork steaks (delicious) and chicken breasts in various marinades. Waitrose is en route too and is an obvious boon though you have to carry everything back of course! There is also a Harvester pub within 10 minutes walk. We would certainly return to this site if we wanted to stay in this area again.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Little Bella 6 reviews from this member

Lovely, friendly site. The wardens were cheerful and helpful. The other campers were all very cheery and sociable. Toilet block very clean. Showers were the push type and there were vanity units and toilets.

There is a playing field just outside the entrance for dog walking. It really is perfect for walking into Salisbury. It's a traffic free cycle/walking path all the way into Salisbury. I reckon it took us 30-40 minutes. Salisbury itself is lovely and the cathedral is stunning. Guess what you are allowed to take well behaved dogs into the cathedral!

Turn left out of the campsite and a ten minute walk brings you to the Old Sarum, which was the original site of Salisbury. Then William the Conquerer built a castle on the site. The views are lovely and you can take dogs in. (Unlike Stonehenge!).

We were in a motor home so it was perfect for getting about without a car.

Will definitely return.

Previous     67 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Wiltshire   -   Search for a site

Win a bundle of VARTA camping essentials worth over £100! Win a Festival Starter Pack, worth over £100!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 20th – 23rd August
The world’s biggest tribute band music festival in East Yorkshire - PLUS exclusive 10% discount on tickets!