Visitor Reviews - Godrevy Caravan Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Site Reviews

Godrevy Caravan Club Site
Upton Towans
Hayle
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR27 5BL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m 1m  1m   10m  1m

Open: 28/03/2014 To 03/11/2014

Units accepted:   No Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes

This is a club member only site - you may be able to join on site - please check direct with the site

Reviews:  22 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dave Thorpe 6 reviews from this member

Having read the reviews and noted there are none from this year I thought I would submit one, we are here until mid July. We were told to pitch up & tell the wardens which pitch - no wait for permission, however pitch choice was limited as we arrived on a Monday. Pitch size is an issue on some pitches - we are on 39, 38 next to us & convenient for loos etc is only suitable for short units with no awning as it borders the entrance onto the glade - however there is another entry/exit for units. The wardens do move markers & close pitches for maintenance. Rabbit poo isn't a problem despite the large numbers.

The toilets are adequate in my view as I haven't had to queue for a shower however Shirley has on most days & I spend longer in there. They are as clean as the other club sites we have been on and don't smell. I can't comment on the children's play area as we haven't looked at it but looks to have a wooden fort like structure like the one at Treamble.

It is a 10 minute walk to the dog friendly end of the beach (which has lifeguard coverage July/ August) over the dunes however there are 91 steps down to the beach if you are unsteady or infirm there is no easy or nearer alternative. The beach is superb, clean and has plenty of room for all. Belly boarding, surfing, kiteboarding paragliding all take place. I watched dolphins in the bay& we watched seals at Godrevy Point - drive to the furthest NT car park close to the farmhouse & walk uphill to the low wooden fence on the cliff edge - this is a haul out point for seals & their young. Take note of the notice to be quiet otherwise you won;t see them & be patient.

Mobile coverage on 3 is fine on site and on the beach. I always compare sites to Treamble Valley & this comes close, the beach I compare to Hoywell Bay which in my opinion is the best loses out on the walk in / out because of (a) the steps & (b ) dog owners not cleaning up on the major paths over the dunes.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Madam-mim 1 review from this member

Just returned from two weeks at this site. We booked late in the season so this was the only CC club site available but after booking I read the reviews and was put off and very apprehensive about our stay. However, the wardens that were there when we arrived were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. I cant remember their names but it was the chap with the big moustache and his wife! There was not a lot of pitches to choose from and some were mud/dead grass but that wasn't surprising as it was peak season and very few people lift ground sheets. We drove around once and could not find a pitch so the warden suggested we park up and helped us find one. He was really helpful, suggesting we pitched sideways on the pitch to give us maximum room for our awning and van, which worked very well. Moustache mans wife was also very friendly in reception so a big thumbs up for them. I did see another male warden as we were packing up who told us where to park once our awning was down as he was moving a pitch. He was not rude but was not over friendly either. I saw him again in reception with his wife and they seemed ok - not particularly chatty but not rude.

I do think the wardens have a hard job - the sign on the gate said no arrivals before 12 yet there was always a steady stream of early people. I can see this would annoy them - they have toilets to clean, grass to cut around recently vacated pitches etc so the 12 o clock rule is there for a reason. Also, there is not a huge arrivals area so if people arrive before 12 it could cause quite a problem with the people leaving before 12. The wait for the warden when sited but before unhooking is so the warden can check you are pitched right so that the distance for a fire barrier between caravans is adhered to. We arrived when it was quiet so did not have to wait but if they were busy I can see it could be a while before they get to you. On most CC sites the pitches are clearly defined so its not a problem. But at Godrevy, they do move the pitch markers about to try and preserve the grass as much as possible so that people are not pitching on mud baths! They also take pitches out of action if they are too bad.

Rabbit poo - with 3 kids I was dreading this but it was ok. There are rabbits around but where we were pitched(quite near reception) it was not too bad. I have a shoes off rule for awning and caravan and apart from a few lumps on the awning mat from time to time it wasn't too much of a problem although some shoes picked up more than others! But the pitches up by the play area and the play area itself was much more pooey and did put me off using the play area - this area is right by the sand dunes hence the increased rabbit population.

Toilet block - this was clean and ok. Not the standard of say Looe, but we spend a lot of time at Exeter racecourse CC site which has a very basic toilet block, so it was fine for us. Very clean as usual with a CC site. 6 showers which is not a lot for a big site but by going out of peak times I only had to queue twice.

Washing machines - not sure if it was just the one I used (top loader) but the clothes did not come out clean - just smelling fresher! Also, there is no indication of cycle length which means I missed being able to add fabric conditioner. The cycle is only about half an hour but a notice on the wall with approx length and when to add fabric conditioner would be useful. I did notice a front loading machine once I'd finished my washing which may have been better and it looked like you could add the fabric condition at the beginning.

Washing up area. This was very cramped - not just because it was just four sinks but also because the sinks were in two rows of two with a passage in the middle so you were back to back with the people using the other sinks - again we tried to go out of peak times or there would be a queue.

The site is well positioned. St Ives is lovely and we went on many evenings. There is a bus service if you don't fancy the walk down but its not that far just a bit steep in places. Wouldnt have walked it with a pram! The icecream place and amusements are very reasonable compared with places like Torquay. Penzance is not far either. We didn't use the Hayle beaches as we love Praa sands on the opposite coast. But from what we saw the one with the closest car park to the beach was Godrevy National Trust car park which would be free to National Trust members but wasn't huge so I think you would need to get there early to get a place if the weather was good. There is a path from site which you can walk down then across the road and across the dunes to the beach which was what most people did. Supermarkets - there is a Lidl down the road from the site and a shopping complex with m&s, next and boots. Boots is 24 hour - handy if you have kids! There is a tesco in St Ives and a big 24hr tesco in Redruth.

All in all we like the site and would definitely return.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Summertime64 3 reviews from this member

This has to be the most unwelcoming site I have ever stayed on. The wardens were rude, offensive and patronising. The site is in a beautiful location and this is obviously why people keep visiting. On arrival instead of the wardens saying hello, how are you? The first words uttered were stay with your car, as though you are being stopped by the police.

They then proceeded to make us feel as embarrassed and apologetic as possible for arriving 20 minutes early after a 7 hours drive. The pitches are ok during the day when everyone is out but when people return in the evenings there is a complete jumble of cars parked all over the place which makes pitches feel very crammed. On walking into reception with my dog, (dogs allowed) instead of hello the woman raised her hands and said 'dog out' as though I was doing something illegal. We were made to wait 40 minutes for a warden to come and inspect how we are lined up on the pitch. The toilets were very shabby and smelt quite badly.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Itsyum 25 reviews from this member

We've just returned from a great 5 night stay at Godrevy Park !

Having said great I mean the location, weather and holiday we made of it was great as this site has some serious issues which I really hope the Caravan Club Management will address (just read the comments book on-site please ! )

Issues in 4 words 'Wardens' The site wardens were very abrupt and unapproachable (however the assistant wardens we met a few days into our holiday were so so nice and understanding). Firstly we were made to queue until 12 noon although there were lots of free pitches available and the 4th outfit in the queue was blocking the narrow approach road, the lady in front of me was told she should have pitched up in a layby as they were only on site for one night ! And we were not to put our stabilisers down until the warden had checked we had parked in the right place (great after an 8 hr drive)

The toilet blocks are totally inadequate, 4 loo's 6 showers for 119 pitches resulted in long queues during the 'morning peak' and they were in a very shabby condition and very smelly (really not up to caravan club standards)

'Rabbits' there are hundreds and hundreds of rabbits running wild on this site (which in itself is not a problem) - however the mess they leave is a BIG problem ! Rabbit poo is everywhere and treads into your van, car, awning, big problem !

'Pitches' the site is very tightly packed far too many pitches for the area (we have been advised the caravan club use a 6 metre apart policy) we had about 1 metre on either site and actually had to 'top & tail' park with our neighbours as there wasn't enough room for both cars side by side !

On a positive note this site is in a cracking location, just a short walk across the sand dunes from the beach (via 50 steps) and very handy for Hayle, St Ives, Penzance, Portreath etc. And you've gotta try 'Philps pasty shop in Hayle - bliss'

Locally there's a pub about a mile from the site in Gwithian and an Aldi, Co-op, Macdonalds, Next & M&S etc in Hayle oh and a 2 hourly bus service stops outside the site (Newquay to St Ives)

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Barney23 3 reviews from this member

We stayed at this site early June. The site was busy but not full but you could tell if it had been, it would of been unbearable.

The site is very small and feel the Club have crammed in too many pitches ('s) money is more important than people's holiday enjoyment and safety.

This site needs to have a personality makeover as we found the Wardens quite military and regimental.

This site will not be on our wish list. Great Location but that's not everything!

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Chelsea girl 54 reviews from this member

I know hate is a strong word but we hated this site. Probably the worst CC site we have stayed on.

We arrived the 2nd week of June on a Tuesday, so was expecting it to be quite quiet. Arrived and the site was heaving ~ the choices of pitches left to choose from left a lot to be desired. They have to be the smallest pitches I have come across in 7 years of touring the UK. We drove around the site about 5 times trying to find something suitable for us and in the end plumped for pitch number 1 next to reception. Bearing in mind we have a motorhome and we did not put up our awning there was very little room to the side of the pitch to do so anyway. If you were in a caravan with awning your guy lines on your awning would definitely have been touching next door's car.

I agree with reviews of late that they are packing them in here, some of the pitches were unbelievable! I can't remember what numbers they were but in a grassy area opposite the toilet block they have pitches facing each other and we both remarked if all pitches in this area were occupied you would have a hard job getting a vehicle through the middle.

If you like to tether your dogs on your pitch next to your unit you will have a hard job here as once you have your caravan, awning & car on a pitch there's no room for anything else. Far too close to one's neighbours and all very regimented.

The only plus side are the toilets & showers are spotless as usual & the chip van (very nice chips) called on the Tuesday night.

For those with a dog & mobility problems may struggle as if you cannot manage the up and down sand dunes across the road (hard work!) you only have the small 'back path' at the back of the site to walk your dog in the vicinity of the site.

Rabbits - hundreds of them! We could not believe our eyes how many there were - so if you have a dog that hates rabbits don't come here!

To sum up - awful, I felt that we had wasted our holiday time at this site, we left after one night & we could not wait to leave. In fact this site has made me question if I even like CC sites at all. You can get better and cheaper in Cornwall (which we did). I cannot even imagine what this site is like in the school holidays.

Avoid if you like decent size pitches and uncramped camping!

Previous     22 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (West)   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!