Visitor Reviews - Godrevy Park Caravan Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Site Reviews

Godrevy Park Caravan Club Site
Upton Towans
Hayle
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR27 5BL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m 1m  1m   10m  1m

Open: 20/03 To 02/11

Units accepted:   No Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes

This is a club member only site - you may be able to join on site - please check direct with the site

Reviews:  26 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: October 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Samlb3538 1 review from this member

We visited this campsite for the first time and was very impressed. The wardens were very welcoming and the toilet/showers are so clean and immaculate, the showers are spot on. The pitches are rather open, there aren't many shrubs etc between you and the next caravan and your not able to pre book a pitch, this is something you decide on when you get there which is fine for October, not sure how well it would work in peek times. But it's a well located caravan site, perfect for popping into St Ives for a stroll and an ice cream, we hope to visit again next year.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Frannyvan 8 reviews from this member

Just back from a very enjoyable week at Godrevy - didn't want to leave.

Couldn't have wished for better weather, so spent most of the week at the nearest beach - Gwithian. Brilliant beach for Body Boarding (a great lifeguarding service, so felt very safe to let our 10 year old to surf without us) and at low tide, lovely rock pools and beach 'paddling pools' - great for our 2 year old. We walked to the beach everyday (follow the road down - or get lost in the dunes the first day). Or if you take the car it's £5. 30 for the day. It is possible to drop off at the car park and then move the car up to one of the higher car parks that are free.

Wardens on site were very helpful and friendly and directed us to pitch 12 right next to the Play Park and even helped push us on. Play Park was nice and safe, plus set back from the site for our kids to play out all day or evening without disturbing anyone else.

Toilet blocks kept very clean, despite copious amounts of sand.

Nice idea to have a separate outdoor sink to clean the BBQs - wasn't too chuffed to see one man use that sink to rinse out gloves that he'd used to empty his chemical toilet with though!

My one gripe is that people are still arriving on site before 12, when there are signs stating that this is not allowed. No wonder they shut half of the gate! Annoying when you arrive on time to find people have arrived before you and got the best pitches.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dave Thorpe 7 reviews from this member

Just a quickie to update you on the site, it looks as though there is more room on the pitches - the pitch we were on last year has been merged with the one next door plus units do not seem pushed together. Also and this is important for dog owners going to the dog friendly beach -the steps to the beach have been damaged but are passable if you are sure footed and it has been dry - you are walking down bare soil basically for the last 4 metres with no handrail- also on the top section there has been a landslip but the steps are still there.

Regarding the steps to the dog friendly side of the beach which are virtually opposite the site as you cross the dunes, there is a good path down on the Hayle side of the RNLI/ Lifeguards hut - follow the path right on the edge of the cliffs for 8 minutes - look for a stream going down the beach, the way down is just past there and well trodden. Signs on the dog free beach steps inform dog walkers they have no access down them to reach the dog friendly side and there is a statutory £80 fine. It didn't stop some owners going on the beach and stopping there!

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Amandaindie 1 review from this member

We decided to go to Godrevy last year as we wanted a site in Cornwall and most places were either fully booked or extortionately priced. We booked the last spot at Godrevy and I'm so glad we did. It was a lovely site in a great location. The on site wardens were really helpful and friendly.

The reception area had a few essential items for sale but was limited, but it wasn't an issue as there was a lidl nearby and a good sized coop in Hayle. There is no clubhouse on site but they have a chip van come round once a week and there are a couple of pubs serving food close by. We usually either had a barbecue or put the slow cooker on.

We didn't find the site to be cramped at all, we actually thought it was pretty spacious and we liked being able to have the caravan sideways on.

The toilet block was always clean and the temperature of the showers was fab with them being adjustable. I usually find them too hot at most caravan sites especially when trying to shower my young children.

The playground was very good and my children adored it and would have happily spent more time playing there.

The walk to the beach took about 10 minutes through the dunes and then down almost 100 steps but we managed it even with 2 dogs and 4 year old and 2 year old children and plenty of equipment and body boards.

The location is ideally situated for going to many different towns such as St Ives, Padstow, Lands end etc.

We enjoyed it so much that we have booked to go back again this summer.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dave Thorpe 7 reviews from this member

Having read the reviews and noted there are none from this year I thought I would submit one, we are here until mid July. We were told to pitch up & tell the wardens which pitch - no wait for permission, however pitch choice was limited as we arrived on a Monday. Pitch size is an issue on some pitches - we are on 39, 38 next to us & convenient for loos etc is only suitable for short units with no awning as it borders the entrance onto the glade - however there is another entry/exit for units. The wardens do move markers & close pitches for maintenance. Rabbit poo isn't a problem despite the large numbers.

The toilets are adequate in my view as I haven't had to queue for a shower however Shirley has on most days & I spend longer in there. They are as clean as the other club sites we have been on and don't smell. I can't comment on the children's play area as we haven't looked at it but looks to have a wooden fort like structure like the one at Treamble.

It is a 10 minute walk to the dog friendly end of the beach (which has lifeguard coverage July/ August) over the dunes however there are 91 steps down to the beach if you are unsteady or infirm there is no easy or nearer alternative. The beach is superb, clean and has plenty of room for all. Belly boarding, surfing, kiteboarding paragliding all take place. I watched dolphins in the bay& we watched seals at Godrevy Point - drive to the furthest NT car park close to the farmhouse & walk uphill to the low wooden fence on the cliff edge - this is a haul out point for seals & their young. Take note of the notice to be quiet otherwise you won;t see them & be patient.

Mobile coverage on 3 is fine on site and on the beach. I always compare sites to Treamble Valley & this comes close, the beach I compare to Hoywell Bay which in my opinion is the best loses out on the walk in / out because of (a) the steps & (b ) dog owners not cleaning up on the major paths over the dunes.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Madam-mim 1 review from this member

Just returned from two weeks at this site. We booked late in the season so this was the only CC club site available but after booking I read the reviews and was put off and very apprehensive about our stay. However, the wardens that were there when we arrived were very friendly, welcoming and helpful. I cant remember their names but it was the chap with the big moustache and his wife! There was not a lot of pitches to choose from and some were mud/dead grass but that wasn't surprising as it was peak season and very few people lift ground sheets. We drove around once and could not find a pitch so the warden suggested we park up and helped us find one. He was really helpful, suggesting we pitched sideways on the pitch to give us maximum room for our awning and van, which worked very well. Moustache mans wife was also very friendly in reception so a big thumbs up for them. I did see another male warden as we were packing up who told us where to park once our awning was down as he was moving a pitch. He was not rude but was not over friendly either. I saw him again in reception with his wife and they seemed ok - not particularly chatty but not rude.

I do think the wardens have a hard job - the sign on the gate said no arrivals before 12 yet there was always a steady stream of early people. I can see this would annoy them - they have toilets to clean, grass to cut around recently vacated pitches etc so the 12 o clock rule is there for a reason. Also, there is not a huge arrivals area so if people arrive before 12 it could cause quite a problem with the people leaving before 12. The wait for the warden when sited but before unhooking is so the warden can check you are pitched right so that the distance for a fire barrier between caravans is adhered to. We arrived when it was quiet so did not have to wait but if they were busy I can see it could be a while before they get to you. On most CC sites the pitches are clearly defined so its not a problem. But at Godrevy, they do move the pitch markers about to try and preserve the grass as much as possible so that people are not pitching on mud baths! They also take pitches out of action if they are too bad.

Rabbit poo - with 3 kids I was dreading this but it was ok. There are rabbits around but where we were pitched(quite near reception) it was not too bad. I have a shoes off rule for awning and caravan and apart from a few lumps on the awning mat from time to time it wasn't too much of a problem although some shoes picked up more than others! But the pitches up by the play area and the play area itself was much more pooey and did put me off using the play area - this area is right by the sand dunes hence the increased rabbit population.

Toilet block - this was clean and ok. Not the standard of say Looe, but we spend a lot of time at Exeter racecourse CC site which has a very basic toilet block, so it was fine for us. Very clean as usual with a CC site. 6 showers which is not a lot for a big site but by going out of peak times I only had to queue twice.

Washing machines - not sure if it was just the one I used (top loader) but the clothes did not come out clean - just smelling fresher! Also, there is no indication of cycle length which means I missed being able to add fabric conditioner. The cycle is only about half an hour but a notice on the wall with approx length and when to add fabric conditioner would be useful. I did notice a front loading machine once I'd finished my washing which may have been better and it looked like you could add the fabric condition at the beginning.

Washing up area. This was very cramped - not just because it was just four sinks but also because the sinks were in two rows of two with a passage in the middle so you were back to back with the people using the other sinks - again we tried to go out of peak times or there would be a queue.

The site is well positioned. St Ives is lovely and we went on many evenings. There is a bus service if you don't fancy the walk down but its not that far just a bit steep in places. Wouldnt have walked it with a pram! The icecream place and amusements are very reasonable compared with places like Torquay. Penzance is not far either. We didn't use the Hayle beaches as we love Praa sands on the opposite coast. But from what we saw the one with the closest car park to the beach was Godrevy National Trust car park which would be free to National Trust members but wasn't huge so I think you would need to get there early to get a place if the weather was good. There is a path from site which you can walk down then across the road and across the dunes to the beach which was what most people did. Supermarkets - there is a Lidl down the road from the site and a shopping complex with m&s, next and boots. Boots is 24 hour - handy if you have kids! There is a tesco in St Ives and a big 24hr tesco in Redruth.

All in all we like the site and would definitely return.

Previous     26 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (West)   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCampsite.co.uk Advent Calendar