Visitor Reviews - Low Fell Gate Caravan Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Low Fell Gate Caravan Park
Cartmel Road
Grange Over Sands
Cumbria   (Browse area)
LA11 7EG   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m 1m  10m  1m   1m

Open: 1st March To 10th January

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Wolffamily 1 review from this member

We are a family of four (with two girls age 10 and 12) and have been to Low Fell Gate several times over the last few years. At first we came as occasional short break campers in a tent and with each visit our fondness for the site, its owners and, of course, the fabulous location, grew to the point that we have now invested in a caravan, which we've placed on site for the 2013 season.

Low Fell Gate has all the key amenities you need, whether you are a hard core tent dweller or prefer the comfort of a caravan or a camper-van. There is also a beautiful static area including one that's available to rent.

The friendly owners keep the site well maintained and have clearly been working hard to improve it since they took it over. New for 2013 are the lovingly refurbished toilet and shower facilities for the ladies on the camp field. Based on feedback from regulars the owners have upgraded the decor and shower room and also added a spacious new wet room, which is perfect for sorting out your little ones at the same time as yourself! The facilities are clean and well supplied with hand-wash, and shower-gel provided for those who forget to bring their own and a good supply of spare loo roles always to hand so no one is ever caught short! I am sure the gents will be next on the list for improvement, though based on my own experience they tend to be a little less bothered about such things compared to us ladies!

The camp field itself has plenty of space for the kids to safely run around and is also surrounded by woods to explore. The beautiful surroundings with a spectacular view over the bay are also perfect for the adults to relax in at the end of the Lakeland day. It's the shear simplicity of the site that is Low Fell Gate's main charm in my view. If you need shops, pubs and eateries Grange itself is well equipped and only a short walk away. I for one like it like that and will certainly be bringing my family here for some while to come.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: JandB 3 reviews from this member

We booked 2 nights here on our way home from the lake district. The site is largely statics but there is a field set aside for touring caravans, motor-homes and tents. Its a steeply sloping field with good views especially from the top and the sites main advantage to us was its proximity to the town of Grange over Sands which could be reached by foot in 15 minutes.

Our Motor-home slithered and slid as we tried unsuccessfully to get up the sloping field so we settled on a hook up at the bottom of it instead on some hard standing.

The toilets and showers were a disappointment. One horrible shower for men and another for the ladies. Both were frankly awful. Worn out dirty and overdue for replacement. The toilets were not much better. High cisterns with pull chains and broken door locks on the cubicles. There was no way we would use the showers and only used the toilets with great care.

Overall the site is wonderfully placed for views and access to Grange over sands. The steeply sloping field gave us problems but the ground was wet so was excusable. What in our opinion was inexcusable was the state of the showers and toilets and because of that we would not return or recommend this site.

In the end we decided that we would return home early and only stayed for one night here.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hezbert 3 reviews from this member

This was a large site with a lot of static holiday homes set in a lovely site overlooking Morecambe Bay. My husband and I were camping along with our dog and we paid 7.50 per night.

We were shown to a large field where there were already a few caravans and tents already in place and directed to where we should pitch our tent. Electric hook up was available at 2 per night. There were no playground facilities for children that I could see. The field is on quite a slope, however we were lucky to get a pitch at the top of the field and so had a lovely view of the Bay.

It rained heavily during our two night stay and quite a few vehicles, especially those towing caravans struggled to get up the hill on the sodden grass.

The owner advised that the site may become noisy over the weekend as it was the annual Cartmel races on the Saturday. Well, she wasn't wrong. Friday and Saturday night there were groups of campers partying until around 2am each morning.

The site facilities were basic really, the toilet block/dishwashing sinks/rubbish & recycling were all positioned at the bottom of the hill. Amazingly there was only one shower in both the female and male toilet so queues were inevitable! overall the toilet blocks were not as clean as they could have been.

The village of Grange over Sands was lovely, there is a short walkway through the woods from the site that takes you into the village or a walk at the end of the campsite road leads you to the promenade which will also take you to the village or along to the railway station.

We didn't receive any information on this from the campsite, just found by exploring ourselves. There is a good quality bakery and butchers shop in the village and we also visited a lovely tearoom (Hazelmere Bakery & Cafe. Would recommend a visit here if in the area.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here but feel the toilet facilities need some urgent attention.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Chapar 9 reviews from this member

This was our second campsite on our 2 week holiday in Cumbria and we stayed for several nights. Unfortunately this included the bank holiday weekend and as stated in a previous review people were partying until the early hours on Friday and Saturday nights so for us sleep was in short supply over the weekend. Whilst I accept it is difficult to patrol the site regularly in late evening/night time if there is a no noise after 11pm type rule it would be a good idea to display this and any other rules on the notice boards in the toilets. The campers who would like to be able to get some sleep would then feel able to ask the noisy ones to keep it down perhaps?

If I had realised this was a site where group bookings were accepted and late night noise permitted I would not have booked. I counted 6 groups on the Saturday night. I can't remember how many were there on Friday.

A shame really because the views across Morecambe bay are stunning and this is the sites best feature. The location close to Grange over Sands was also very good. Yes the site is on a slope but this was manageable where we were pitched near the top.

The facilities were a mixed bag: the 1 shower in the ladies (not enough when the site is busy) was a great design but it was only one. The cleaning wasn't done daily as far as I could tell because there were marks on the sinks that were there for a few days. There were 5 toilets so these were not a problem nor was the supply of toilet paper.

The washing up sinks are exposed to the elements and the water for washing up was luke warm. Not much fun to wash up in the rain. These could do with being more enclosed. Also there were only 2/3 sinks so queues were inevitable at busy times.

We did chat to one of the folk working there who said the site is really only busy at the bank holiday weekends and the rest of the time it is really quiet.

My recommendation is if you are a family who likes a quiet site after 11pm then avoid this at bank holidays. If you are a group then you will be able to enjoy yourselves!

Will we be back - well it's not at the top of my list for a return visit and we definitely won't go again over a bank holiday weekend!

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Colclark 1 review from this member

The site is located in stunning surroundings, with beautiful views across the bay. That was until a tent, a trailer tent and a motor home with awning were planted right in front of our caravan.

We are fairly new to caravanning/camping, but I'm sure I read somewhere that there is supposed to be a minimum distance between pitches. The tent directly in front of our caravan was no more than 2 meters from us, and the ones either side of them were about the same distance. When we were leaving, the guy with the motor home had to detach his awning so that we could get our car and caravan out.

Looking up at the rest of the site, it appeared this was the norm, pack them in and collect the cash. The pitch itself was on quite a steep bank and no matter how many chocks/bricks/timber we placed under the wheels, it was impossible to get our caravan level. The toilets, though basic, were functional. The toilet door locks appear to have been removed from the local field gates and there was just a single shower in each toilet block which caused people to queue. Which might explain the copious amount of hair in the plug hole. Prior to leaving, I visited the toilet before our long journey home, only to find the door to the gents toilet block was leaning against the wall. Two men were stood doing what men do at the urinals, on full view to women and children.

There is also Wi-Fi available, but at 5. 00 per day, I thought was a little expensive, but like I said, I'm fairly new to this so that might be the going rate.

All in all, for 15 per night, I suppose the site was ok, but had I known what I know now I would have paid extra and gone to another to have a little privacy, and peace of mind regarding the fire concern.

I don't think I'll revisit the site again and if I was asked to recommend it, again, I doubt I would.

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Britard 1 review from this member

This was the only site which could actually take us over the bank holiday weekend, unknown to me it was a Cartmel Race weekend which was why everywhere was full, we were a last minute booking though !

After reading the reviews on here regarding the site, facilities etc we weren't sure what to expect but we were really pleasantly surprised.

On arrival we did meet the owner, she was a lovely lady and most helpful but at the same time (as we found out over the weekend) she doesn't stand any messing/bad behaviour etc, on the Saturday night some youths did cause some trouble and the following morning she did tell them to pack up and leave

The previous reviews regarding the field sloping are correct but as we arrived pretty early on the Friday morning (only the 2nd booking to arrive!) we could pick our pitch anywhere in the non electric side so having taken notice of comments regarding the top of the field being level we headed up into the top left corner.

We were so glad we decided to go to the top because we had uninterrupted views of Morecambe Bay which was lovely. The site was pretty quiet until the middle of the afternoon when more prople started to arrive.

We found everyone seemed to be able to choose their own pitch until the site started to get on the full side and then campers were shown where to pitch their tents. I think the site could be a little more organised, maybe numbering the pitches which would show people where they should be pitched because of fire etc and we did find that once the perimeter of the field was full people were pitching in front of those tents around the perimeter possibly spoiling some campers views.

My friend has her own tent and has an 8 yr old little boy who likes friends to play with and he was really pleased because there is a season tourer on the site with 2 little boys who are a similar age to him so he was well sorted.

There were plenty of children on the site over the weekend but the facilities are limited for children. Apart from the woods or playing around the tents (which isnt really ideal) there isn't a lot for them to do or anywhere for them to congregate.

We did find the children congregated around the toilet block in the evenings which I can imagine would upset some people, we did ask them why and they told us it was because they had no where else to go. I really think the site would benefit from investing some money into somethng for the children, maybe an adventure playground in the woods, a football pitch maybe or even a games room.

The toilet block was clean and light, plenty of spare toilet rolls so no excuse for running out, a small table with plenty of leaflets full of things to do and places to go, about 6 toilet cubicles but there is still only 1 shower cubicle. The mirror over the basins isn't ideally placed, I'm only short and have a back problem so cannot really stand for very long so I would have had difficulty if I had washed my hair and needed to use the mirror, a lower mirror and a stool would be ideal, I did notice however that the toilets are not really disabled friendly.

I believe the owners haven't owned the site very long so maybe there could be plans to improve some of the amenities.

There is no shop on site but Grange is only a few minutes in a car and the Co-Op is at the north end of town and is open until 10pm so is very handy for those forgotten little items. There are posters in the reception windows regarding things to do in Grange, Crazy Golf etc, Emergency Dr, Vet all of which is very helpful.

There is all the shops you want in Grange and I believe also has a laundrette and as there isn't a washer etc on site it could prove very useful. Hazelmeres bakery is a wonderful shop and I agree with the previous review, I could certainly take 1 of every cake home they look that lovely!

Camp fires are no longer allowed and dogs have to be kept on a lead but at the end of the road there is a sign for the Promenade and I believe there is a perfect area down that road where you can let your dogs off for a good run, we didn't venture that far because of the weather but certainly next time and if the weather permits.

There is a walk around the woods which takes you around both some static caravans and seasonal tourer's which you can see those areas are being re-vamped.

We had a great weekend and the site was a lot much nicer than expected and we are certainly going back again, in fact I'm hoping to go back in a couple of weeks for a few quiet days away.

Would I recommend the site? Yes, as long as you don't want fancy and all mod cons but then again for the price of 12.50 non electric and 15 electric hook up I think its well priced and with that view. Well. What can I say apart from 'I'll be back' !

Previous     28 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Coleman Event Shelter from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!