Visitor Reviews - Vanner Caravan Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Wales > Gwynedd > Site Reviews

Vanner Caravan Site
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL40 2HE   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  10m  1m  1m   5m

Open: Easter To October

Reviews:  12 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Andrew L 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here for 1 night only but could have stayed longer, fantastic location, out of the way and very peaceful with riverside walks on the site, friendly welcome and toilet blocks were very nice and clean, good prices too and no silly 1 charge for our dog either, will certainly stay here again, highly recommended

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Shuftie 1 review from this member

Spent 5 nights here early April 2015. Very good facilities and friendly owners. Very good toilet block. Was worried that the showers might not be warm enough but they were excellent. Washing up facilities excellent and are covered and even have a view! Wonderful environment for children: trees to climb, streams to paddle in, fields to play footy in, 12th century Cistercian monastery to scramble over. What more could one ask for? Only minor reservation is the size of the toilet block, its very good but on the small size. Maybe best for quieter times?? It is good though.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Alexandjoneale 4 reviews from this member

We enjoyed our 10 night stay here. The location is fantastic, easy drive to Fairbourne and Barmouth for seaside, short drive to Coed y Brenin (Hubby biked there and back). The shower block was a lovely building but had no soap the whole time we were there and was a bit grubby, though I've seen much worse.

Owners lovely and friendly. There are only a very few touring caravan pitches, most are seasonal pitches by the look of it, and its worth noting that the tourer pitches are lined up adjacent to the road into the site & Abbey - this was fine for us with older children, but I think anyone with younger children wouldn't find it suitable as cars drive down there at considerable speed. My daughter did ride her bike a bit out the front but I was having kittens at the speed of the cars coming (frequently) so had to stop her. We were out and about most of the time so its didn't bother us, but worth knowing. The tent area on the other hand was gorgeous, spacious and fenced in.

Iin the area, I would recommend Barmouth for traditional British seaside holiday stuff - donkey rides, little funfair, shops, chippys. There are banks and a post office, and loads of places to eat. Knickerbockers Ice Cream Parlour on the Quay is awesome! Parking on the promenade is 3. 50 all day, its massive but at peak tiimes it does fill up by late morning.

Fairbourne Beach is lovely and at times deserted. Fairbourne village is tiny, has a little shop, post office, Butchers and Chippy (Sue's Plaice) which does the most amazing chips, all cooked to order - the wait is worth it. There is a Beach Car Park, we also drove one evening right up the road to the end of the miniture railway track where there are a few parking spaces and you can walk up over the dunes to the beach - gorgeous. The Fairbourne miniature railway is really cute, running from Fairbourne up to the sea, where you can if you want to get a little ferry accross the estuary to Barmouth, which makes for a fab little day out. The train was 9 per adult 1 per child, the ferry we didn't do this time but I think was around 3 per person return.

Coed y Brenin is amazing mountain bike riding, nice cafe in the visitor centre and small ish play area, plus walking/running trails, bike hire if you need it, they also do geocaching.

The precipice walk is nearby and fairly easy going for fantastic views. Cader Idris for the more adventurous is about 4 hours round trip walk, steep and stony but well worth it for the views.

Pony Trekking Centre in Arthog (on the way to Fairbourne) is great, the 2 hour Novice Beach ride takes you right onto the sand and is excellent, suitable for complete beginners too.

The Mawddach Trail runs from Dollgellau to Barmouth, you can walk or bike, and the route crosses the Barmouth Bridge, a great experience. Its 10 miles each way.

We ate one night at the Cross Foxes, lovely food and friendly atmosphere but does get busy (we got the last avaiable table at 6pm) so book ahead.

We loved this area and will definitely be back to this campsite, for its good value, friendliness and excellent loaction.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fernman 17 reviews from this member

I last used this camp site 16 years ago, when I could find little good to say about it. Now it is vastly improved.

The field for tents was previously mostly shaded by tall Leylandii trees that blocked out any sunshine. The trees have long since been felled, leaving it nice and open. There is a warning notice, however, that the field can flood in wet weather, so I pitched up by the entrance gate, a precaution that happily proved unnecessary. The site is far enough away from main roads for there to be no traffic noise, and as mine was the only tent there midweek in the middle of May, it was extremely peaceful.

An excellent new toilet block has replaced the dated and inadequate one that was there before. Washing-up sinks are under the canopy at the front, unisex showers down the middle and doors to the ladies and gents on either side. Perhaps it could get a bit crowded at peak times, though. To the left of the block is a fenced bin area.

Sixteen years ago the camping fees seemed to me a bit high for the time, but now they are quite reasonable by today's rates. Also it is now free to look around the remains of the old Cistercian abbey, unlike my last time.

Did I mention that the site owner and his wife are friendly?

Dolgellau is only 2 miles away, for an important tourist spot it is a strange place as it seems deserted in the evenings, though I did find a couple of pubs serving food and a chippy.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: NannaB 26 reviews from this member

Only booked day before we came so thought we were lucky to get a pitch. We booked 7 nights and our last one is tomorrow. I'm sitting outside our van in lovely warm sunshine just listening to the birds. This is mainly a seasonal site as there were 15 seasonal vans and two touring pitches plus a field for tents though I suppose caravans could go in there too. There is also a static site. We were two away from the toilets, showers and washing up area and absolutely spotless. They must have a fairy come in the night to do them as we never saw them being cleaned. We paid 15. 00 a night. We had rain the second day and as I am disabled it was not the weather for us to go out. Only got two stations on the TV BBC1 and 2. Others told us you need a satellite dish if you want TV. This disappeared altogether after three days though the farmer told me on the phone TV was good.

Barmouth is a lovely seaside town and if you have kids then there is a great sandy beach there and some amusements. Went to Rosie's Cafe where I had a lasagne which was really nice. Going to The Mermaid fish n chip shop tonight as we have been told they are good. Harleck was a dump. Couldn't get up to the castle as road to it was closed or like a zillions steps which I can't do. Drove around too many places to mention but wherever you go the scenery is stunning. Went across country to Snowdon which is a most beautiful drive and you can stop in a lay by to go and paddle in the streams. We got a good day for this and could see the top of Snowdon. We didn't go up by train as we wanted to go by steam which was 35 each - diesel was 27 each so as we only have our pension, the price was too steep for us. Car park across the road was 7. We said we hadn't got a train ticket but you had to pay even before you found out you could get one, so we just drove off again.

Cheapest diesel we found was actually in Dolgellau. Turn left outside the camp, take second turning left into Dolgellau then first left. The garage is along this road. Price was 1. 36. 9 litre whereas others in the area were 1. 38. 9 and above. For those of you who have a Blue Badge, parking, apart from Llanberis for Snowdon, was free.

All in all we have had a lovely time here though the weather hasn't always been, though not bad for Wales.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jdncoke7 1 review from this member

This camp site is in a perfect location for lots of outdoor activities eg: walks, cycle rides or mountain walks and beaches. (we did so much when we stayed there).

The site is in a lovely peaceful location, with beautiful views and a river running to one side on the farm(which there is a walk up along side it through the farm's fields).

It has a lovely shower block, 4 showers including a shower for the disabled (showers are lovely and hot with enough power). A nice amount of toilets and wash basins with mirror's. (my only thing was there was no soap to wash your hands with or any bins). There are two washing up sinks.

The owners of the farm are very helpful and very kind. The cost was very reasonable (For myself and my other half, a big tent(6 man)and electric hook up it cost 15 per night. (there are only a few electric hooks up so they say its best to book them before turning up).

we would definitely go back and take the kids too next time! we had such a lovely peaceful week away. (child friendliness I did not mark as I did not take them, but I would be more than happy taking the kids there and them feeling safe. The camping fields have fencing around them and its not to far to walk to the loo in the night).

I didn't mark it 10 out of 10 as everything always has room for improvements, but its got to be one of my favourite places so far to stay.

Previous     12 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Buzz Rack Scorpion 2 Bike Carrier Win a CUBO Breeze Inflatable Campervan Awning!

UKCS Meet Camperex 2016 - Liverpool Exhibition Centre 8 - 10th January
Brand new leisure show for touring caravans, motorhomes, campers and park homes. Win tickets!

Coming Soon!