Visitor Reviews - Cae Du Campsite

Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <1 mile   Golf   Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <10 miles
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <1 mile

Reviews:  181 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19

Write your own Review to win a £150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: BigErnie 21 reviews from this member

We stopped here for three nights as it was our first visit to the area, when we arrived the wardens were really friendly, there had obviously been a lot of rain so they were concerned about flooding on some areas of the site, we were also worried about getting stuck so they were happy to let us have a look around the pitches before we committed to staying.

We pitched on a hard standing area close to the open facilities block, it was a little bit challenging levelling up but we got there in the end. They have great facilities on this site; shop, hot showers, laundry facilities, pot wash area and a communal undercover seating area ‘Bothy’ which you would probably use if staying in a tent. The site is large with different areas to choose from, grassed or hard standing pitches, pitches near the river, under the trees or out in the open all of which are serviced by two facilities blocks.

The tariff was £20 per night for two plus the van which was reasonable for the area, but then we found out that there is a huge list of additional charges; £2 per dog per night, £10 refundable deposit for the barrier, charges for paying by card, charges for Wi-Fi, charges for the laundry facilities, charges for charging devices… charges, charges, charges… I can only put this down to the location and it being only one of two sites with such great access to Beddgelert and the surrounding area, but with two dogs on board it did bump the cost up for us and has impacted my overall rating for this site.

The area is beautiful and obviously great for walking. The site is close to the village which has a number of pubs (at least one of which is dog friendly), cafés, the Tourist Information centre and of course the Welsh Highland Railway which is also dog friendly.

This is a really popular area and we would definitely come back but might look around at other sites first.

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Dubdogs 114 reviews from this member

Stopped for three nights whilst doing walking in the area. It's a great location and base for walks and also handy as Beddgelert has a station for the Highland Railway, which is also useful for incorporating in to walks.

Prior to and during our stay there was some very heavy rain and as the site was fairly empty, we were able to park on the hard-standing pitches although we didn't need EHU. This was good for us as the grass was quite spongy given the amount of rain.

The reception stocked some basic supplies, but as the village shop wasn't particularly well stocked, it would be best to arrive with what food you need for your stay. The facilities were kept clean and we did make use of the washing machines and tumble dryers, which worked well and were fairly priced.

It's not the cheapest site for a pitch and they did seem to charge for any add-on you can think of, my main gripe being the £2 per night per dog; they only use a bowl of water between them a day! For that reason, I probably wouldn't use this site again and will try one of the others in the area.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Elizabethlb 3 reviews from this member

Cae Du is a stunning campsite, you are set well back from the main road, there is a river running through it so if camping in a tent you can camp next too the river and there are a few pitches for campervans/caravans next to the river also withoit hook up, you can choose where you want to pitch up, and there are lots of areas to choose from all separated by hedges etc

All the way around you are stunning mountains (some with their their peaks as high as the clouds)!

Plenty of washing up sinks and toilets in each block, there are three showers in the central block, there was even a children's toilet in both the men and women's toilets which as great for our 4 year old!

I would stay here again, I have my eye on a pitch next to the river, however I have seen a couple of other campsites I would like to stay at in great locations so it may not be immediately.

My only two negatives are that the showers were set a little too hot for my liking, and I was annoyed that after paying more than any other campsite charge, the hot water is switched off completely at 10-10. 20pm so on a cold evening before bed I had to wash my hands in cold water which I didn't appreciate with my rhaunauds/bad circulation in my hands. I certainly wouldn't go in the winter knowing there is no hot water just before bed to wash hands and face as I really need it to keep blood flow in my hands.

The staff were friendly and we had no problems however I was nervous after previous reviews read on trip advisor etc about run ins with the owners.

I am perfectly happy that gates are locked at 10pm I actually wouldn't let any children's sleep in an awning or tent away from me unless that was the case, however our 4 year old was asleep in our camper pop top.

The walk into Beddgelert is lovely, I love Beddgelert and I even bought the book Gelert for my daughter from the little shop in the village.

The pitches are generous and with it being such a large site there's no need to pitch in a full field, I can't imagine this campsite ever being completely full at one time as its soo wide spread with many sections.

Overall I would recommend this campsite.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Padmanchester 3 reviews from this member

Well kept site. Easy walk to bedgellert for food and a drink. Midge repellent available on site. Site very quiet at night. Weather not great but site seems open enough to make most of sun morning and evening. Site facilities good and communal room gave us somewhere to shelter for breakfast.

Date of Visit: June 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Tazsmum 25 reviews from this member

A big site, but not regimented! We were given advise on areas to pitch, and all areas were different but loosely marked, we then told reception staff where we had settled. Reception open very long hours so someone on hand until 10pm. Good new facilities block, with campers' kitchen and 'bothy' for wet weather eating/relaxation. 15 minutes footpath walk to Beddgelert for basic shopping, eating, Welsh Highland Railway and many walks.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: PaulineW 10 reviews from this member

This was our 2nd visit to Cae Du, having stayed there in August last year. The site is spacious and well laid out with grass and hard standing pitches, electric hook up is available too. There's no phone signal and TV is a bit hit and miss but we didn't mind. Its far enough from the main road so it's nice and quiet. We were able to choose our own pitch, settled on one, then found a better one so we moved, which wasn't a problem. The shower block, toilets & washing areas are all clean and well kept. I paid 20p to use a hair drier and it was plenty of time to dry my medium length hair, so well worth it. If you need to move about at night you'll need torches as there is no lighting, which in my opinion is a plus. On our first night there was torrential rain and winds and next morning a few tents had to move pitches but it soon dried out after the sun came out.

The walk into Beddgelert is lovely too, along the river and across the bridge into the village. If you continue to walk along the river you go along the 'Fishermans path' which is a lovely paved pathway ideal for walking. The opposite direction out of the site takes you to the Sygun copper mine which is a good place to visit and from there you can also walk to Llyn Dinas, all without going near a main road.

The railway line in Beddgelert runs from Porthmadog to Caernarfon and is definitely worth it, the views over Snowdonia are spectacular!

We'll definitely be back again next year!

Date of Visit: March 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Trewsie 2 reviews from this member

Absolutely loved this stunningly located, beautiful campsite. Easy access, with plenty of space to pitch up, love very walks and a dog walk area. New wardens were lovely and so helpful. Shower block was really clean. No signal or wifi which suited me. Small shop with staples and cute trinkets. Will definitely return.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Wessies 1 review from this member

We (my husband and I) stayed at this site on the last May bank holiday. The site is set back off from the road, so there is very little road noise. It is approximately ten minutes walk to the main town of Beddgelert where you will find a few pubs and restaurants. Lots to do and see around the area. Campsite is very well set out with enough room on the pitch for a caravan and a car. There is a man there on the weekend that cooks pizza on site, a well stocked shop at reception. Do not forget the bug spray as the bugs are out in full force. Well worth a visit, will definitely return. Do not understand the negitive reviews, go and check it out for yourselves.

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Trevor + Jo 73 reviews from this member

This was my second visit to Cae Du Campsite. Usual warm welcome on arrival and freedom to pitch as space allowed in any of the electric free fields. I chose a beautiful grassy spot by the river, mountain views all around and soon felt at home. There was plenty of space this time of year. The locals did let on that the midges are a pain in the summer, not just around the campsite but in Beddgelert too. There is a shop and reception at the entrance and a security pass operated gate. The new toilet block is now finished and is kept clean and tidy.

Beddgelert is a 10 minute walk away with a selection of pubs, gift shops, art galleries and even a steam railway station. My favourite was the Tanronnen Inn. The beer was good and locals friendly! What more do you want. There is a Tesco store at Portmadog (20 minutes drive) and check out the Purple Moose Brewery and shop.

The main reason for visiting was access to the mountains. Moel Hebog, Cnicht and Snowdon can all be climbed by walking from the site. Fantastic, and even snow was added during my stay.

A well equipped site, close to pubs, close to mountains, close to perfect. Will definitely return again.

Date of Visit: March 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Freecamper 6 reviews from this member

This site is very good large pitches nice walks all staff were ok you can walk into the village were there is some nice shops and pubs. The only things is very dark at night no lights and the site know how the charge and all the extras add up and a rip off price on bank holidays by putting £10 a night on the price and if you tow a car with your motorhome you get charged for that to but a caravan and car and a tent and car are the same price as a motorhome and no car rip off site I will not be going back

Previous     181 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write your own Review to win a £150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Colibri Lux Sleeping Bag and Sim Bundle worth over £270 Win East Anglian Game & Country Fair Camping Weekend Tickets!

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game and Country Fair 28 to 29 April
Thetford. Weekend Camping available. Plus win tickets in our competition ...more