Visitor Reviews - The Three Magpies Public House

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Wiltshire > Site Reviews

The Three Magpies Public House
Sells Green
Seend
Melksham
Wiltshire   (Browse area)
SN12 6RN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Open:

Reviews:  40 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Dazed21 8 reviews from this member

I really liked this site, the facilities are basic and I agree with a previous reviewer that the owners could make changes and charge more. However, I like the fact that they don't have a lot of rules, it does state that it is a laid back site, my group consisted of 1 motorhome, 1 camper van & 1 tent, 6 adults & 3 dogs! We have all facilities on board & you can use the pub toilets too. Location is great, 2 minute walk to the Kennet & Avon canal, the pub serves good food, the bar is dog friendly, the staff are really friendly & the pub also has a good atmosphere. Definitely will return to this site. I have stayed at the CC&C next door which is pristine but the cost of Three Magpies is the deal sealer for us.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Guider 2 reviews from this member

The site is quite basic. The field is reasonably flat with slight undulations. You are given no information regarding defining your pitch, where the water points are, or what the Ehu power output is ie 13 amp. So you have to work this out for yourself.

Regarding water there are 2 points, 1 in the field and 1 beside the toilet block. Toilets. There is 1 mens 1 women and 1 disabled; so not a lot if there are 15 tents/caravans. Grey water gets dumped in the hedge. The shower block is basic needs a radical update and more added. The good points are. It is cheap quiet and good for dog walking. The pub is good and does good food and reasonably priced. Tv reception very good. Site rules -never found out what /if there were any.

The site has so much potential and they could on completion increase their prices as the next door Caravan camping site is twice as much and twice as busy. I left a day early due to all the above and I wouldn't use the site again. Cheap and quiet is the best I could say.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bob61 20 reviews from this member

I was a little hesitant about booking this site after reading previous reviews that the ground can be boggy and that the facilities leave a lot to be desired. I need not have worried. For a small pub site this ranks pretty high in my estimations.

Yes, the facilities were basic. They are housed in a portacabin and in the gents there is only one loo, one very small sink, 3 urinals and two showers and I would imagine if they get busy with tents (rather than wheeled units which have their own facilities) there could well be a queue. However, they were spotlessly clean and heated. Unfortunately there was no soap in the dispenser and no hand dryers but most people use their own anyway. At least there was plenty of toilet paper and hot water (be it a little slow coming out of the water heater spout).

The camping field itself was better than many far more expensive sites I have had to endure in the past. The grass was plush but well mown and the entire campsite was clearly well maintained. No sign of any waterlogging. There is a children's play area within the pub garden.

The only negatives I could find was the noise from the main road, which tended to fade into the background, and an abundance of noisy crows that woke me at 5. 00am and then moved on when they were sure I was fully awake!

The tariff is per pitch rather than per person and I paid 10 a night with EHU and that was with a 6 man tent. I believe they charge very slightly more for caravans and motorhomes but still very reasonable.

The pub itself was pleasant enough although it does get busy at meal times. Prices were pretty reasonable. There is a bus stop right outside with a regular bus service to interesting local places. The Kennet and Avon Canal is just two or 3 minutes walk down the road with walks in either direction.

This is a site I would certainly use again and the area is well worth visiting.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Crlyn216 2 reviews from this member

We stayed here 4nights with are folding caravan, found site to be clean quiet left to ourselfs. Facilities were clean and good, no local shops in walking distance. Pup and staff was nice food a little pricey other wise good. 2mim walk to canal lovely walk both ways one to town. Site had no wifi pain would go again

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: HT James 4 reviews from this member

This is a great site! Big flat pitches most with hook ups and it's dog friendly. The pub is great, good beer and good food.

OK, so the facilities could be better, they are a little small, tatty and jaded and although adequate when we there whilst it was quiet they would soon be totally inadequate as the site filled up. A quid a shower seems a bit expensive but when you consider how low the site charges are it may be excusable.

My biggest gripe is nothing to do with the site but with the loose drain cover in the road outside which sounds like the forges of Hell whenever a truck drives over it. Which is often.

Would I use it again? Oh yes, without a doubt.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jimjam11 2 reviews from this member

After reading other reviews it was with some trepidation that we set off in our caravan for the Three Magpies. When we arrived there was a rally in the adjacent field and we were in the touring side. We were very pleased with the pitch we were given and loved the close proximity to the Avon & Kennet canal and the inn where we had an acceptable meal. The site was clean and well cared for and yes the toilet block was outdated but was cleaned every morning and there was a mop and bucket for interim clean up if required. No there is not a shop on site but I certainly would not expect one with this type of site, shopping can be done in either Melksham or Devizes both relatively close and Bath a little further away. I would also agree with a previous reviewer who mentioned the manhole cover making such an awful clang and as this is my only gripe - yes, I would go back again!

Previous     40 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Wiltshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Vehicle and Personal GPS Tracker from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 14/10 to 19/10 NEC Birmingham
Back at the NEC Birmingham this autumn - we have 20 pairs of tickets up for grabs