Visitor Reviews - The Three Magpies Public House

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Wiltshire > Site Reviews

The Three Magpies Public House
Sells Green
Seend
Melksham
Wiltshire   (Browse area)
SN12 6RN   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m

Open:

Reviews:  50 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: CyberCynth 1 review from this member

Handy site for exploring the Kennet and Avon canal and the many other delights Wiltshire has to offer. Lovely to be able to fall into a dog-friendly bar at the end of a long day walking, for a good meal. Not a huge choice for veggies on the menu though. Facilities disappointing. Shower very poor, especially when you've had to pay 1 for it! Poor water pressure and I couldn't see how to turn down the temperature once I'd taken off my specs! No hot water in the dish-washing area, nor could I see a light; not helpful when I want to do a pile of washing up late evening. Pitches nearly all grass, not very well drained and I had to get some friends to push my caravan off the flooded pitch after a night of rain, on the morning I left.

As a senior citizen it would be cheaper for me to stay on the C&CC site next door in mid or low season, and enjoy better facilities with the comfort of knowing there's a security barrier in place.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Eaglesman 1 review from this member

Enjoyed our short stay at the 3 Magpies but felt a few small things would have made it so much better. I bought a shower token for a 1 and when I used it, the shower only worked for about 20 secs, just as I had started to soap up. Now, I did move the temp from medium to high but didn't expect this as I was told it would last for about 6 Mins. There is no hot water at the washing up station, which I haven't experienced elsewhere. Bad if you have fried food utensils to wash. There doesn't seem to be a grey waste deposit and it is inconvenient to lift a heavy wastemaster into the black waste deposit. Finally, the men's toilet was without a toilet roll for nearly a day. They should always leave a spare as at many other sites. I feel it wouldn't take too much to rectify these smal problems and make for a great retreat.

Date of Visit: February 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: RAYMONDO 831 1 review from this member

Upon a late (8:30pm) arrival. First impression was good. It immediately got better, met with hostess of pub and immediately shown where to park. Complete with 240v hookups. A drink and an evening meal for two. Early exit from site after a shower 1extra. Dated but adequate shower/ toilet facilities. Picnic area would be fabulous in spring and summer times. A very short walk to the picturesque canal with great walks. Staying on an extra day absolutely a great place to be or find yourself. We will return. Thank you.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kay381 2 reviews from this member

Wanted to see the Kennet and Avon canal and visit Devizes. 15 per night for our caravan, awning, electric hook up, 2 children and a dog. Good basic site, clean toilet/shower block (heated), 1 a shower. Nice pub, friendly staff and 2 minute walk to the canal. Some road noise but didn't bother us.

Half the price of camping and caravan site next door.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: GeoffreyI 17 reviews from this member

This was our second visit to the three Magpies we were last there 4 years ago. I was surprised to see the same shower/toilet block there. I thought at the time they were temporary and by now permanent structures would have been installed. These showers/toilets let the site down. One cubicle in the ladies and one in the gents were inadequate for the number of people on the site. And they also charge a 1 for a shower. Also I find it pretty poor that having used the toilet you do not have facilities for drying your hands other than using toilet paper, surely an electric hand dryer could be provided for hygiene purposes. The only other unsatisfactory issue was the fact that they will place tents and caravans next to each other, where electric hook up cannot be used because a tent is on that plot. Personally I think tents and caravans should be separated as it could also be a hazard, this could easily be achieved on this site as it has two separate fields. The positive side of the site is easy access off the main road, a very nice Country Pub serving meals with a good supply of real ale. Also the canal walks are within a stone throw away where you could walk to the The Barge country Pub where they also serve excellent food and have a lovely beer garden where you can watch the canal boats pass by. You could also walk in the other direction to Devizes.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Madmike55 1 review from this member

Didn't feel very welcome when I arrived and was taken to my pitch.

Was reprimanded for driving on the grass but wasn't told I was supposed to park on the hardstanding and carry all the equipment across.

Ground quite uneven.

Toilets very basic, there was no soap in either the gents or disabled toilet. No hot water in washing up area (only one sink).

A shame as this used to be a really nice campsite where I have had great times in the past but I won't be going back in a hurry again.

Previous     50 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Wiltshire   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more