Visitor Reviews - Castel Domaine Des Ormes

Castel Domaine Des Ormes
Epiniac
Dol De Bretagne
Brittany   (Browse area)
35120   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0033 02 99 73 53 00

5m

Open: 13/04/ To 22/09

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  11 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Ljhomer 3 reviews from this member

We love this campsite. It is very big and having stayed there 3 times, with a planned short visit on the way home this year, I don't think we've actually managed to get round it all.

We book Castels premium pitches and these are within a walled garden type area and you feel like you're on a much smaller site. Pitches are big here with IM07 the biggest which I've managed to book again. Staff are all really friendly and very helpful. Night security even offering on one occasion to help us get pitched quickly as they knew the was a hail storm coming.

It's a great site for visiting Mont St. Michel, Dinan, and a whole bunch of other local towns.

If this campsite were further south so that the weather would be a little more guaranteed we would return year on year, but for 2014 we are venturing down to the Vendee and just staying at Des Ormes for the last 2 days before catching the ferry from St. Malo which is only 20 minutes away making it good for a last couple of days chill before home without a huge drive.

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Hutchuk 3 reviews from this member

I won't ramble on - I'll give it to you brief.

This campsite is large and has everything for a family. It is not for adults seeking a quiet time.

Our two girls - 11 & 14 - and Dad, thought it was absolutely fantastic. The pools are amongst the best you will find on a campsite. Mum thought it too noisy and too busy.

The staff speak such good English that you would think you are in England - in fact I would say 80% of all the guests are English - which really annoys the 10% French (the other 10% made up of mainly Dutch) My wife likes to go to France to be French ( she isn't French by the way, but from Yorkshire) so it didn't please her either.

The shop has little choice so it is best to drive in to Dol (5 miles away) for provisions.

The fast food restaurant is very poor and a waste of money - plus the food is dreadful. The other restaurants are fine, but you would find much better in Dol.

A great campsite to use as a gateway in to France, or a short stop over to & from the ferry.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Maryc58 2 reviews from this member

This was our third campsite in France on this trip and if I am honest my least favourite of the three. When we arrived we found a car parked on our pitch! After a quick look around we decided to go on the empty pitch next door, my OH unhitched and I went back to the reception to let them know - girl was nice but said that particular pitch was booked out and sent me to an adjacent field.

This was a bit of a pest but we just hitched up again and moved, however, I noticed the first pitch was not used during the five nights we were there and the car remained parked on the original pitch on and off throughout our stay.

The site itself was large and we enjoyed archery, pitch and putt and horse riding. The pitch and putt was 21 euros for myself and my son which I thought was steep for half an hour!

We also had balls from the driving range literally whizzing by our ears! We ate at the restaurant on the site, it was good but very busy. The site was fine but not really for us, I would not be rushing back.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: SpampMan 21 reviews from this member

Having previously stayed here in a tent, we thought we would try it again in a mobile home. The reception area is as I remembered it, welcoming staff - that's the Les Ormes staff - the mobile home company's staff were nowhere to be seen.

We were last here in 2004. Since then the site has grown dramatically. Many more touring pitches have been given over to mobile homes and it looks like there is an entire new field of mobiles too. There is a new indoor pool & slide heated to tropical temperatures and a wave-pool alongside it. This was pretty good, but even at Spring Bank holiday it was quite busy - it will be packed in the Summer hols. And there's the rub - the site can now accommodate more people, but the facilities, though good, I think will not - there is the same bar, shop, take-away and restaurants as before.

Nearest supermarket is still the SuperU at Dol-de-Bretagne, which is way cheaper than the site shop. Also good fuel prices.

Conclusion: it remains a very good site but I think it will be too crowded in the summer. Visit again? perhaps - depends on time of year.

Date of Visit: August 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Mike bond 11 reviews from this member

We have just returned from this site having spent two weeks there. On the whole I would say that it was a good holiday, mainly because I have a 14 year old daughter and 12 year old son who enjoyed the facilities - there is plenty to do on site.

It is a very busy site and it is huge. The touring pitches were a good size and well drained and situated on the outer edge of the site. There are some pitches that overlook a lovely lake which was popular for coarse fishing.
We were near the toilets / showers, which were typical of the continent, adequate and clean. Did not queue for showers as most people were in statics with their own facilies. Water could have been hotter.

They recycle bottles on the site and the bins are by the toilets. If you like a lie in ask for a pitch away from here. Firstly because there are a lot of empty wine bottles on this site and the bins are emptied regulary - and early. Secondly, it amazing how many early-rising campers enjoy smashing bottles into the bins at 6am.

The general noise levels varied. The first week was very quiet. There is a bar and entertainment on the site. It seemed to calm down at about 11pm. The second week there were a few idiots making a bit of noise but I have experienced worse. There were large groups of kids, some well below the legal age who were drinking but we never saw any trouble.

There is no doubt that this site is geared for the British. Just about all of the staff spoke English. The site is about 30 minutes drive from St Malo ferry terminal. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised that the site appeared to be enhabited by 75% Brits with a few French and Dutch but this took the edge off it for me. It did have the slight feel of a Haven site at times.

However, the facilites are second to none. There is a driving range and golf course, adventure training type course and the pools were great. Horse riding, archery were also available as well as artificial football pitches The shop was quite good and not a rip off. The staff in reception were very helpful.

There surrounding area is lovely, very rural. Dol De Bretagne is a nice town with a great market on Saturdays. Some nice bars / restaurants and a very good Super you supermarket (with petrol station). It is less than 10 mins drive from the site. We ate in very simple place a couple of times, think it was called Bar Boris in the main street (there is a parrot just inside the door). The welcome was genuinely warm (No English spoken) and the best moules & frites around.

St Malo, Dinard and Dinan are well worth a visit. If you like shellfish you have to go to Cancale. There you can see the oyster beds but don't do what we did and stop in the first restaurant we came across. Go to the where the oyster beds are sited and get them twice the size and half the price.

We also visited Bayeaux (2 hours - probably 30 mins less if you turn your satnav off) and saw the tapestry which was impressive. The American WW2 cemetry overlooking 'Omaha beach' is a very moving sight and the visitors centre is excellent, informative and sensitively presented -definitely worth a visit.

Rennes is the nearest city - about 45 mins south with a big shopping centre on the outskirts which I can't remember the name off.

This is definitely not a site if you want a quiet time. If it were not for my kids who moan for England given the slightest opportunity, I would not go again. But it is not the rowdiest site I have ever been on despite its size and the drunken teenagers, so I would do it again without too many concerns if the kids wanted to go back.

Date of Visit: June 2008 Unit:  Static
Reviewer: FATBIRDSCANTFLY 3 reviews from this member

The best campsite in the world! Very family friendly making it easy for children and adults to make friends. Fishing is excellent with massive carp. The games room is jam packed of lots of different things.
Bike hire, pedalo hire and high wires were reasonably priced. Lots of different places to visit like Dinard and Cancale with a good local market of saturday's in Dol. Close to both Dinard airport and st.Malo making it easily accessible. Super you in both Dol and combourg are good places to get your shopping from.
Brilliant place to visit with large plots. Visited 4 times now and will definitely be visiting again next year! 5* site LOVE IT!

Previous     11 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Brittany   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers