Visitor Reviews - Castel Domaine Des Ormes

Castel Domaine Des Ormes
Epiniac
Dol De Bretagne
Brittany   (Browse area)
35120   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 0033 02 99 73 53 00

5m

Open: 13/04/ To 22/09

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  10 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Hutchuk 3 reviews from this member

I won't ramble on - I'll give it to you brief.

This campsite is large and has everything for a family. It is not for adults seeking a quiet time.

Our two girls - 11 & 14 - and Dad, thought it was absolutely fantastic. The pools are amongst the best you will find on a campsite. Mum thought it too noisy and too busy.

The staff speak such good English that you would think you are in England - in fact I would say 80% of all the guests are English - which really annoys the 10% French (the other 10% made up of mainly Dutch) My wife likes to go to France to be French ( she isn't French by the way, but from Yorkshire) so it didn't please her either.

The shop has little choice so it is best to drive in to Dol (5 miles away) for provisions.

The fast food restaurant is very poor and a waste of money - plus the food is dreadful. The other restaurants are fine, but you would find much better in Dol.

A great campsite to use as a gateway in to France, or a short stop over to & from the ferry.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Maryc58 2 reviews from this member

This was our third campsite in France on this trip and if I am honest my least favourite of the three. When we arrived we found a car parked on our pitch! After a quick look around we decided to go on the empty pitch next door, my OH unhitched and I went back to the reception to let them know - girl was nice but said that particular pitch was booked out and sent me to an adjacent field.

This was a bit of a pest but we just hitched up again and moved, however, I noticed the first pitch was not used during the five nights we were there and the car remained parked on the original pitch on and off throughout our stay.

The site itself was large and we enjoyed archery, pitch and putt and horse riding. The pitch and putt was 21 euros for myself and my son which I thought was steep for half an hour!

We also had balls from the driving range literally whizzing by our ears! We ate at the restaurant on the site, it was good but very busy. The site was fine but not really for us, I would not be rushing back.

Date of Visit: May 2009 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: SpampMan 19 reviews from this member

Having previously stayed here in a tent, we thought we would try it again in a mobile home. The reception area is as I remembered it, welcoming staff - that's the Les Ormes staff - the mobile home company's staff were nowhere to be seen.

We were last here in 2004. Since then the site has grown dramatically. Many more touring pitches have been given over to mobile homes and it looks like there is an entire new field of mobiles too. There is a new indoor pool & slide heated to tropical temperatures and a wave-pool alongside it. This was pretty good, but even at Spring Bank holiday it was quite busy - it will be packed in the Summer hols. And there's the rub - the site can now accommodate more people, but the facilities, though good, I think will not - there is the same bar, shop, take-away and restaurants as before.

Nearest supermarket is still the SuperU at Dol-de-Bretagne, which is way cheaper than the site shop. Also good fuel prices.

Conclusion: it remains a very good site but I think it will be too crowded in the summer. Visit again? perhaps - depends on time of year.

Date of Visit: August 2008 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Mike bond 9 reviews from this member

We have just returned from this site having spent two weeks there. On the whole I would say that it was a good holiday, mainly because I have a 14 year old daughter and 12 year old son who enjoyed the facilities - there is plenty to do on site.

It is a very busy site and it is huge. The touring pitches were a good size and well drained and situated on the outer edge of the site. There are some pitches that overlook a lovely lake which was popular for coarse fishing.
We were near the toilets / showers, which were typical of the continent, adequate and clean. Did not queue for showers as most people were in statics with their own facilies. Water could have been hotter.

They recycle bottles on the site and the bins are by the toilets. If you like a lie in ask for a pitch away from here. Firstly because there are a lot of empty wine bottles on this site and the bins are emptied regulary - and early. Secondly, it amazing how many early-rising campers enjoy smashing bottles into the bins at 6am.

The general noise levels varied. The first week was very quiet. There is a bar and entertainment on the site. It seemed to calm down at about 11pm. The second week there were a few idiots making a bit of noise but I have experienced worse. There were large groups of kids, some well below the legal age who were drinking but we never saw any trouble.

There is no doubt that this site is geared for the British. Just about all of the staff spoke English. The site is about 30 minutes drive from St Malo ferry terminal. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so surprised that the site appeared to be enhabited by 75% Brits with a few French and Dutch but this took the edge off it for me. It did have the slight feel of a Haven site at times.

However, the facilites are second to none. There is a driving range and golf course, adventure training type course and the pools were great. Horse riding, archery were also available as well as artificial football pitches The shop was quite good and not a rip off. The staff in reception were very helpful.

There surrounding area is lovely, very rural. Dol De Bretagne is a nice town with a great market on Saturdays. Some nice bars / restaurants and a very good Super you supermarket (with petrol station). It is less than 10 mins drive from the site. We ate in very simple place a couple of times, think it was called Bar Boris in the main street (there is a parrot just inside the door). The welcome was genuinely warm (No English spoken) and the best moules & frites around.

St Malo, Dinard and Dinan are well worth a visit. If you like shellfish you have to go to Cancale. There you can see the oyster beds but don't do what we did and stop in the first restaurant we came across. Go to the where the oyster beds are sited and get them twice the size and half the price.

We also visited Bayeaux (2 hours - probably 30 mins less if you turn your satnav off) and saw the tapestry which was impressive. The American WW2 cemetry overlooking 'Omaha beach' is a very moving sight and the visitors centre is excellent, informative and sensitively presented -definitely worth a visit.

Rennes is the nearest city - about 45 mins south with a big shopping centre on the outskirts which I can't remember the name off.

This is definitely not a site if you want a quiet time. If it were not for my kids who moan for England given the slightest opportunity, I would not go again. But it is not the rowdiest site I have ever been on despite its size and the drunken teenagers, so I would do it again without too many concerns if the kids wanted to go back.

Date of Visit: June 2008 Unit:  Static
Reviewer: FATBIRDSCANTFLY 3 reviews from this member

The best campsite in the world! Very family friendly making it easy for children and adults to make friends. Fishing is excellent with massive carp. The games room is jam packed of lots of different things.
Bike hire, pedalo hire and high wires were reasonably priced. Lots of different places to visit like Dinard and Cancale with a good local market of saturday's in Dol. Close to both Dinard airport and st.Malo making it easily accessible. Super you in both Dol and combourg are good places to get your shopping from.
Brilliant place to visit with large plots. Visited 4 times now and will definitely be visiting again next year! 5* site LOVE IT!

Date of Visit: July 2007 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Pixie_Hez 24 reviews from this member

This site was our worst nightmare! We chose the site for a few days break on our way home from further south in France for two reasons. Firstly it was a member of the 'Les Castels' chain of sites which we use regularly and which are usually extremely good. Secondly, the site is situated very near to Mont St Michel which my OH has wanted to visit for ages. We did not really read much about the site before we booked which was probably daft of us but we have learned our lesson.

The site itself is huge with over 800 pitches. If each pitch has your average 2.4 children this makes a grand total of 1920 kids running around the place (mostly unsupervised as far as we could see) Large groups of teenagers congregated together in various areas and made a lot of noise. They were clearly having a good time but I wished they could do it a wee bit more quietly. I am far from a spoil sport and normally don't mind a bit of noise, especially when the kids are having a good time but this was really excessive. The on site disco went on until 3am every morning and although you could not hear the music as the disco was well soundproofed, you could certainly hear the loud (drunk) people heading back to their caravans at 3am. We were woken every morning at 3am by people coming out of the disco.

The site had a lot of activities available. The pools were large and very good with a range of different pools some covered and some not, some for straight swimming and some with slides etc for having fun on. There were canoes and pedalos for hire along with pony trekking, tennis, golf, cricket and a large all weather sports pitch which the boys used mainly for soccer. There was also a high wire advanture course up in the tree tops for kids and adults. However, we felt that the activities were very expensive and if you stayed here for a few weeks with a couple of kids you could spend a LOT of money on activities.

There was a good range of restaurants and bars ranging from a fast food snack bar to a fancy restaurant.

The pitches themselves were not the largest but they were adequately sized. The site seemed well drained because it rained a lot while we were there but the pitch, although wet, never became boggy. The toilet facilities were adequate but the showers seemed to run out of hot water quite quickly in the mornings and I ended up having a rather cool shower!

The shop was very well stocked and seemed reasonably priced.

Everyone on site seemed to speak English. Actually English was the language of choice on site and even in the bars and restaurants no one ever addressed you in French, it was English the whole way. This took away the feel of being in a foreign country and actually, it would be possible to stay here for a fortnights holiday and never realise you were in France which detracts from the fun of camping in France in my opinion.

If you are after a very lively camp site with loads of facilities and entertainment and lots of children and teenagers to be company for your own then this site would be perfect for you. However, if like us you prefer a real taste of France and value your peace and quiet then like us, you will find this site your worst nightmare!

Previous     10 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Brittany   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!