Visitor Reviews - Nantcol Waterfalls

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Wales > Gwynedd > Site Reviews

Nantcol Waterfalls
Cefn Uchaf
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL45 2PL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 01341 241 209

1m  1m  1m  5m  10m  5m  10m  5m   5m  5m  10m

Pitches: 23 Caravans: 62 Tents
Open: 1st March - 31st October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  129 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Annandtony 2 reviews from this member

Just got back from a 7 night stay at this site. We camped on an electric pitch near to the amenities.

We didn't find the showers (3 for ladies & 2 for men) or the number of toilets (6 for ladies) a problem and didn't mind paying the 50p for a shower. There was a separate wash room for males & females & the washing up sinks were also fine.

Our girls (9 & 10) said it is the best site they have been on as they played in the river on a rope swing & the rope swings in the large tree above the campsite for hours on end. They had their boat in the river as well but safe as not deep.

I got a bit worried as site was busy but pitches are large and well spaced - it didn't feel crowded. It can be quite noisy with children playing games & running round but to me this is camping and all was relatively silent after 11. 00pm.

We paid about 210 for a weeks stay which I think is reasonable for our main summer holiday and would definitely return to the delight of our girls.

Beaches are close by & little shop on site sells lovely ice cream, hot drinks, bread & milk.

The road to the site as previously mentioned is VERY tight and we prayed when we left with the trailer that we didn't meet a caravan but its worth it to stay there.

All in all a great site & a great holiday.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Tawnyo 3 reviews from this member

A large site which was very busy. The countryside and walks around the site are lovely, however if you're looking for a quiet site this isn't it! Having been to some really brilliant sites a couple of days beforehand (with free, clean roomy showers and limitless water, along with well stocked shops) we were disappointed with the amenities. There are only about 3 women's showers and two men's showers for the whole site- so queuing is common. Worse than that-the showers are timed (you get four minutes) and you have no control over the temperature of the water. The water was freezing cold for at least two minutes. There are not that many sinks either to do washing up in and again people were queuing.

The 'shop' is also the reception and you have to stand outside and ask what they've got and it isn't well stocked.

Children seemed to love the site - they were playing in the stream which runs through the site while their parents watched them on the bank.

The drive to the site is quite hairy because there is only room for one lane of traffic and it's quite steep to get to. So, all in all - nice surroundings but we were glad we were only staying one night!

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Gumstabber 2 reviews from this member

Wow what a beautiful place this is. Nestled in amongst the hills with a meandering stream, it could be a campsite out of Middle Earth! But.

-The access road to the campsite is a road from Middle Earth too, so narrow with treacherous rocks poking from the banks and the site itself is miles from anything too. Did I mention the road to the site?!

-The site is quite big, 80+ pitches, but I do think that 2 showers per gender and a similar number of toilets is too low. This was echoed by the fact that there were always queues for both facilities.

-You have to pay 50p for a 5 minute shower card! When you've already paid 22 a night this is just a joke. We weren't informed of this on checking in so I was particularly annoyed to discover my shower wouldn't work after queuing for 20mins!

-their water comes from a bore hole. On their information sheet it says it's good to drink, on the water points it says to boil it. So I guess that means there's no fresh water supply.

Would I return? No, never.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: XSASSx 15 reviews from this member

I've been to some cracking campsites over the last couple of years and dished out a lot of well deserved 9* and 10* reviews. On that basis, this place needs to be 11/10! I have literally never seen a campsite so beautiful.

Often with campsites in beautiful natural locations there's a trade off with rustic / basic facilities but the bathrooms here are well thought out (even down to the added privacy of toilets separated by solid wall rather than cubicles) and modern. The wifi was faultless which compensated for the diabolical phone reception.

The set up makes it easy to camp without electric (we do a mixture of both according to circumstances for each camp) as they offer a free ice pack freezing service and charge your gadgets in the reception kiosk. I would really recommend going non EHU as it means you get to pick your pitch, plus there's no chuckout time on departure day. We were lucky enough to claim a riverside spot so despite the impending 4 1/2 hour journey home we broke our tradition of leaving ASAP to have a day out on the way home, and stuck around until gone 3pm. It was lovely to be able to intersperse breaking camp with messing about in the river and on rope swings.

It's not the cheapest campsite we've stayed at but it has a fair pricing policy which means if like me on this occasion, you are the lone adult with kids, you don't pay over the top. The owners were really flexible when we needed to change our booking too (less people for less nights, all very last minute). I've never before chosen a site with separate fees for showers as the principle of it puts me off but it's really no hassle and even my 10 and 8 year olds were able to use the card system without me needing to show them how.

I was initially worried that the rural nature of the location would mean either we ran out of places to go for our days out or we burned masses of petrol in search of entertainment but neither happened. We had three great days out (four night stay) all within a 10 mile radius (Harlech, Shell Island and Barmouth) and cancelled our final day plans (Coed y Brenin Forest Park which is 19 miles away) in favour of staying on site. I'm really glad we ventured out but I suspect my kids would've been content staying on site full time.

We took plenty of food with us as none is for sale on site, so that we wouldn't have to add extra miles in search of shops and just did top up shops whenever we saw a Spar. Actually the Shell Island camp shop is very well stocked and not as extortionate as you'd expect for somewhere cut off from the mainland.

Both kids declared this their favourite campsite and their favourite camping trip and I agree. This is something that comes up in conversation a fair bit in our house and we've never been unanimous until now. They literally spent every day exploring the stream and river, dangling from rope swings and making friends, interspersed with scrambling up alongside waterfalls and chucking themselves down sand dunes.

I just want to end with a quote from my 8 year old daughter. When we arrived home, pulled into the driveway and got out the car she said with disappointment 'Oh! I miss the sound of the river when we get out of the car. '

Thank you Nantcol, you will be forever etched into our hearts.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Smegbear 3 reviews from this member

This was our second stay at this site and we LOVE IT! We did have rain most days and some strong winds but this doesn't detract from the lovely site and is all part of the fun. We stayed for 5 nights 2 of which we managed to have BBQ and campfires. The beauty of this site only changes with the weather but is never detracted from.

One of the best things about this site is they have used the land well and has a very good blend of natural camping with great facilities. This is not a manicured car park camping and caravan style site.

The location is outstanding up in the hills with amazing views and walks. This, as previously stated, does result is a single tarmac twisty road to the site but sensible driving means you will have no issues.

We camp with electric and these pitches are BIG. We have a 5 men tent with extension and this only took up about half of our pitch. The only slight negative on these pitches is they are the furthest away from the river. I am sure this is for electrical safety reasons but if there was any way for them put some pitches closer to the beautiful river with hook up it would be perfect.

The facilities are excellent and clean with toilets, shower rooms, wash rooms and laundry rooms along with sheltered washing up area. There is a 50p charge for 5 mins of showers which were lovely and hot and the charge for me is perfectly fine, especially when you take into account the very reasonable camping fees for such a great site. The only other facility charge is the washers/dryer should you wish to use them.

This site also allows camp fires which for me is a must when camping, there are plenty of rocks for you to make your own little 'fire pit' where suits on your pitch, I used the most recent one as to not scorch the grass further but the site have no issues should you wish to build it where suits.

If you visit here you must take in the walks around the site through the woodlands and along the river to the waterfall. There are also some non marked walks which are stunning.

The on site office/shop sells sweet treats and all the fire and BBQ consumables you need. During key holidays it is manned most of the day however in less busy periods there are set opening times. This for me is no issue at all and adds to the lovely atmosphere at the site as the owners and staff are simply lovely and always happy to help. There s even WIFI covering a lot of the site should you wish to buy a pass for use. For me I camp to get away from technology (apart from my fridge and radio) so did not use this.

For children this is a perfect natural playground with lots to explore and the river and Tarzan swings for old school fun.

There are a few pubs with Llanbedr and we only visited one. Food was fine and they allow dogs in the small bar area (not the main food area). There is also 2 shops selling essentials.

Harlech is a few miles up the road with its awesome castle and some lovely cafes and a few shops. A slightly longer drive and you can explore all Snowdonia has to offer which is a must.

So in sumarry. Amazing place, great price, clean, excellent facilities and well worth a visit!

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Campingirl78 1 review from this member

The road leading up to the camp-site is single track with only a few passing points, which can make for an interesting challenge when you meet someone, we managed fine.

On arrival we were signed in by Aled the owner who's warm welcome made up for the rainy day!

We were blown away at how pretty the views were and with the waterfall that the site is situated around.

We had an electric pitch and it was a good sized pitch, we were using our Coleman bi space 500 and there was room to spare, the pitches were taking the Montana 6P with the awnings and cars.

You are allowed to have a proper camp-fire and the guys bring out the logs each evening for you to purchase for a few pounds a bag which we thought was wonderful and had a fire each night.

The toilet and shower facilities are all relativity new and they are kept clean although there are only 3 showers in the ladies so its first come first served else you will have a bit of a wait. There is however a separate wash room with power points with 3 sinks next door, there is also a separate disabled toilet and shower. The showers work on a token basis a 50p token will last 5 mins, you have to buy these at the shop/reception.

The site has a laundry we had a look and it looks good but we didn't need to use it. There are also a good few washing up facilities which were kept in a good order.

The site also offers wifi charged at a reasonable rate.

The site has a beautiful walk up to the top of the waterfall and we would highly recommend that you do, its simply stunning, although its only for the fit and able.

There is no clubhouse or real playground for the kids, we made our own entertainment as that's what it is about. Our girls (13) really had fun with the rope swing that was there.

Barmouth is only a 10-15 min drive away and we went there a few times for fish and chips, there is an iceland and a co-op that we used.

We also went along to King Arthur's Labyrinth which was a lovely experience and there are a few nice shops there.

Previous     129 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Champion 3100 Watt Inverter Petrol Generator Win a Win a One Week Stay at Vauxhall Holiday Park!

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 13 18 October
Occupying eleven huge halls of the NEC, it is guaranteed to be an unmissable event. Win tickets!