Visitor Reviews - St Johns Camping And Caravan Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Devon (South) > Site Reviews

St Johns Camping And Caravan Park
St Johns Road
Exmouth
Devon (South)   (Browse area)
EX8 5EG   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  5m  5m  5m   5m

Open: March To December

Reviews:  24 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lmrt 11 reviews from this member

All rather average really!

We only spent two nights here but I came away a bit underwhelmed. I shall explain:

The owners were friendly, but didn't go out of their way to help or explain the site and lacked enthusiasm.

The price was reasonable, but there are no frills to pay for.

The main block in the field is old, but was clean. The block at the top was similar, old but clean. (Hot water to wash your dishes was good).

The site was one big open field, but much of it was far too sloping to use so we ended up stuck in the middle and there was no choice in that, but is was looked after and kept tidy.

There was a children's play area, but there was very little in it.

The situation was convenient for the area though.

We had some noisy neighbours which didn't help but the info you get given was no noise after 11pm which I think is too late.

We like a simple site with no frills so in that sense it was what we were after, so was it a bad site? No. But was it a good site. Not particularly.

I wouldn't put others off from going because it was okay, but would I go back? Maybe. I suppose, but I would look for somewhere else first probably.

Date of Visit: October 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Finadindin 3 reviews from this member

Hard standing. Pretty poor

Customer service. Appalling

Facilities. Outdated

We spent last night at this site. We had a family gathering to go to in Exmouth, and this was a stop over on our way to our main holiday.

We arrived and were keen to get pitched up and go. There was one to talk to one arrivals just a piece of paper left with our name on and pitch number.

With the jobs we do we always have to holiday late in the year so being experienced at this, and knowing the weather had been pretty miserable in the lead up, when we booked, we asked for a hard standing pitch.

What are joke, the hard standing are hard to spot and are very narrow, so literally just enough room for the caravan. The pitch was surrounded with mud and had obviously been made worse by previous units having to cut the corner of the pitch to enter and exit the it, as the hard standings were so narrow, there was no way round this.

Once parked I was trying to get to the door of the caravan and slipped on the mud and went completely over into all the mud which. Was difficult to get up from.

I was smartly dressed ready for this event, so obviously upset. People from the next pitch came out to check I was ok. My husband rushed to try and get the caravan sorted.

Once the legs were down and hubby had connected water and the hook up, I hid in the back of the van, nursing a very sore shoulder, back and hand trying to get to grips with what to do to go to this event, with no spare smart clothes.

In the meantime, the lady from the site, walked over and asked my husband if we had pitched ok, understandable my husband was worried about me and upset as to what had happened, he explained I had fallen and said it was not really a proper hard standing pitch, and she said but they had had torrential rain so what could she do. He said he was expecting a pitch that he could park the van on and usually park the car next to or at least be able to walk around the van on the hardstanding. She then went on to complain that he had parked on the grass, even though only one tyre was on the edge of the grass, as our estate car was to long to fit. She never once checked if I was ok.

The site itself, probably is ok in the summer, but the toilet block need updating and a very good clean. The floors had been mopped, but you could see the mark across the skirting boards where the mop went along, and it was black with dirt above that line. 20'years ago we probably would have thought this was a good site, but we expect more these day.

The road next to us was quite busy with cars up and down in the night and cars seems to be coming and going regularly onto the site during the night. I heard them as I was uable to sleep from being sore from the fall earlier. I don't know if this was to do with the caravans pitched down the bottom of the site that looked like they were perminatley lived in.

Our family event was lovely, just a shame I was in jeans in all the photos.

I am of the opinion this site is not suitable for winter use. Yes there has been bad weather and we know the site is not responsible for this, had the hard standings been even a couple of feed wider and with less grass growing through, then with the good pathways, it would be passable.

We know it's possible to have a great site under those conditions as we are now on one, with no hard standings and it's cheaper.

We have been told that's it's all to do with the type of grass that is used.

It was 14 for the night which certainly isn't expensive but we have been to many sites in winter months that can cope with the bad weather, that are much better value.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Davevince 1 review from this member

After 10 nights in the New Forest, st John's was a halfway stop off on the way home to Cornwall in order to break up the journey for my children, , as other reviews have stated, the toilet/showers need updating but come on people! This is a lovely little site, quiet, pretty and certainly not littered in dog poo as stated before! We are all campers/caravanners and we should get behind and support these small independent sites, , , use them, we found a little gem here! Our children and us loved our 3 night stay

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Sueedavies 1 review from this member

Stayed for 2 nights in July. Very quiet site and good area. Unfortunately toilet blocks let the site down. Very poor toilet block in field that needs desperate updating/new block. Other block near farmhouse very old but cleaner but in dire need of updating. Will not be returning.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Graham01 1 review from this member

Was there 16th/18th October. The site was good, well mowed. The disabled toilets / showers were good and clean. Elsan was clean and very accessible. I was there with two other couples and we all very much enjoyed the site. Also good food in Exmouth at the Merchant pub

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Booboosue 2 reviews from this member

I read the reviews for this site after booking and thought oh dear.

Well we have just come back from a weekend at the site and I must say we had a fabulous time here.

It is a well kept nice quiet site and the owners are welcoming.

The toilet block is kept nice and clean.

The bus stop about a 10 min walk to take you into the town and the buses are every half hour, but for 4 you can get a taxi into town.

I will be recommending this site to all our camping friends and will be booking again and again for a relaxing break

Previous     24 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Devon (South)   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans plus 1000s of accessories ...more