Visitor Reviews - Camping Jeugdstadion

Tel: +32 057 21 72 82

5m  5m  5m 5m  10m   1m  1m

Pitches: 21 caravan / 50 tent
Open: 1 March To 12 November

Reviews:  41 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Guzzi crew 4 reviews from this member

I visit this site on a regular basis enroute to other parts and it suits me fine

Members should be made aware that the detail is in the name translated as youth stadium

It is similar to a French municipal set up to cater for Belgium youth, its also handy for others not so youthful like me

This is why the shower block is like a school changing room and the sports field and play park are where they are behind it

At any time expect a teacher to take the class to the park, or a troop of belgian scouts or youth group to arrive on the camping field as they explore the town

I agree this is not a traditional campsite, most campervans use it as a one night stopover and are lined up in le mans start fashion

The large tent/caravan part is not the best but the traditional tent field is fine because that is the sites origins hence no cars on the grass users were expected on foot bicycle or motorcycle hence the gap to get round the barrier, and costs a few euros

I agree the staff sometimes seem weary of campers expecting something different

Perhaps with time it will evolve but it is what it is a youth stadium run by the town

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Dubdogs 59 reviews from this member

Stayed here over two one night stays whilst touring the area.

It was busy on both occasions and had we not booked over the internet in advance, we wouldn’t have got a pitch. The self-check-in was easy to follow, I would have preferred to pay by cash, but this wasn’t an option.

The pitches were ok in size and based on grass growing through matting, which made it easy and fairly level. There weren’t enough facilities to cater for the number of campers and on both occasions I had to queue for the showers/toilets that were a bit dated/unkempt.

The location was good with a level 15 min walk to the Menin Gate and the centre of town. There was also a dog walk off through the back of the site. It’s not the quietest of sites, during our midweek stay there was a fair bit of industrial noise and at the weekend, there is a club/bar which had loud music until about midnight. We used the site on the second occasion to have the dog passports updated at the nearby English speaking vet; Dierenartsenpraktijk 'De Gouden Poort'; very reasonable 40 euros for the appointment that covered both our dogs.

Overall, if visiting the area again, I’d use the site as it was fairly priced and conveniently located.

Date of Visit: September 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Gingawarrior 55 reviews from this member

The site is tucked down a side road and is not particularly well sign posted, so keep your eyes peeled. You cannot enter the site until you have used the automatic check in procedure which is a novelty. I was fortunate that rather than having to get to grips with the system a kind fellow Brit camper who’d stayed before talked me through it.

Once you are in, the site is quite compact with pitches squeezed in left, right and centre, but different parts of the site are separated by mature trees and hedges so it doesn’t feel too over crowded. The pitches are level and are on a sort of plastic matting which allows the grass to grow through, meaning, despite being right in the middle a largish town the site feels quite rural.

The toilets are a slight let down, because while the rest of the site feels well maintained and modern the toilet block is rather dated and not really sufficiently large enough for the number of pitches. Showers however, were powerful and warm, but so was the only tap in the sinks which made brushing your teeth an experience.

My fellow travellers suffered mechanical issues with their van at the Channel Tunnel, so was going to be late, however, after just about speaking to a member of staff I was able to let them in late at night. Being alone however, wasn’t really a problem as the site was 90% full of British campers and everyone was very friendly.

The site is wonderfully located for Ypres, it’s a really pleasant 15-20 minute walk into the town, over the river and through pleasant streets and the town itself is really nice, very attractive, all the more so considering it has all been rebuilt in the past 100 years. The highlight is of course the Menin Gate, I was fortunate that unbeknownst to me I was there on the 70th anniversary of the liberation of Ypres in WW2, so there were extra ceremonies and many, many more people.

In conclusion I really liked this site despite its less than admirable toilets, grumpy staff and strange check-in and as I still feel that there is much more of Ypres and the surrounding area for me to see I will almost certainly stay again one day.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: LaurieW 2 reviews from this member

This was the second visit we have made to this site, the first being 2011. We advanced booked this visit in February 2014. The showers have been changed. They are now push-button operated(electric). The problem is that the button is outside the cubicle. I got a 50second 'squirt' from one button press, then I had to come out and press again. One of the gents showers, however gave a continuous 'Squirt' (broken?)

In the ladies showers, one of the buttons was mounted too high for my wife to reach. There is no temperature control.

The toilet block self-closing communal door bangs shut throughout the night.

We were allocated pitch A15. Three metres from this, through the hedge, was a creche or a kids activity centre where parents can leave the kids. We couldn't see anything but the racket started at 8. 00am 'til 6. 00pm. Depending who was on duty governed whether we were treated to tannoy announcements, referee whistles or music (sometimes all at once). Some keen kids started at 7. 30am. Our pitch was dark and in the shade 'til 1. 30pm, due to tall trees. We asked if we could move(we were there 4 days)on day 1. We were told by the woman in reception that this was not possible as all pitches were booked. We discovered this was not the case as there were pitches empty throughout our stay and some were only occupied for one night. Our electrical/water tap was overgrown with nettles and thistles.

However the site is very convenient for Ypres town and the Menin gate.

I would suggest that you should avoid pitches A14, A15, A16. Determine which pitch you are allocated BEFORE you pay. Take some secateurs to cut the nettles.

I don't think we will go again. The site is not as good as it was.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Ronni54 23 reviews from this member

We booked this site before travelling and were very glad we had as we arrived to find the site full, probably because of the WW1 centenary. Despite this, we never had to queue for showers and didn't find the push buttons a problem. We used the showers beneath the sports stadium and found them clean and well kept. The area around each pitch was certainly unmown and there were signs indicating that these were wildlife areas. We were on the 'touristic' pitches and found them an adequate size. The 8pm Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate was very moving and it was great to be able to walk into town. There is a supermarket within walking distance of the site so the lack of a site shop was no problem. Wifi is only available in the area around Reception but there are tables and benches here so not a problem (unless it is raining!) The site is only a short hop from Dunkirk so handy for a first night stopover - we stayed for a week and would use this site again. 2 adults and electric pitch was 15 Euros per night.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Elainemcd 7 reviews from this member

We pre booked and stayed here for 2 nights as we wanted to go see the Menin Gate Memorial and the Last Post. We stayed for 2 nights and we liked the closeness to the town (which is lovely).

We stayed on the touristic pitches which were bigger then the motorhome pitches and we weren't sure about the automated check in, but having had a good look at it found it to be safe and efficient.

The site itself was clean and tidy but the grass needed a cut.

The toilets under the sports stadium were clean, as were the showers but the fact that the push button was outside the actual shower cubicle (in the bit you get dry and dressed) was a bit of a nuisance, as the water didn't stay on for very long.

We would, however, stop here again

Previous     41 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Belgium   -   Search for a site

Win £200 of Cool Prizes from Outwell Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game & Country Fair 25/04 to 26/04
Masses of fun and displays at the The Norfolk Showground - day tickets or you can camp over for the weekend.