Visitor Reviews - Bwlchgwyn Farm Equestrian Centre & Holiday Cottages

Fairbourne
Barmouth
Dolgellau
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL39 1BX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m  1m   10m  5m

Open: Easter / October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  24 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Summer2006 2 reviews from this member

We spotted this campsite across the bay. A great drive round 70p across the toll bridge. When we arrived we were warmly greeted. We picked a great pitch over looking the estuary. We had wonderful weather very quiet when we stayed. Very clean site shower block was new with more than enough showers. Each shower had a sink and toilet and a chair and spotless and free we stayed for only one night wish we found it sooner and will be returning as soon as we can thanks for a great time

Reviewer: BASE849 1 review from this member

Toilets & showers adequate, just.

View amazing.

Quiet, family dominated site.

Steep slopes for kids (& some parents) to tumble down.

Owners friendly & relaxed.

Lovely beach & miniature railway nearby to keep my toddler happy.

Only negative experience unrelated to the campsite- we indulged in a curry from the local town & it was by far the most expensive we have eaten, but at the same time the shabbiest ever, including ones we've eaten in the poorest slums in the far east. Appalling quality meat, badly cooked & microwaved rice- minging:-(

But the campsite was quality:-)

Really liked the place.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Pete j 1 review from this member

The touring pitches on this site are at the top of a steep incline that includes an hairpin bend so if you have a large caravan you'll need a 4x4. Not to worry though as the kind owners towed our caravan from the 'Pony Trecking carpark' by the road for us and also brought van back down. Just ring and ask if you think you'll need help. It is worth the effort to visit this site for the view alone, It must be one of the best in the UK. Facilities are basic but clean. The Elsan point is two levels down from the touring pitches by the lower set of showers, whilst the distance isn't much you do have to climb back up the hill. I wouldn't recommend this site for anyone with mobility problems due to the inclines involved even getting to the showers.

Barmouth is a steady 40 minute walk over the railway bridge ( which is now free) and Fairbourne is around 20 minutes. Once you get down the hill from the site the rest of these walks are level.

We will definitely be visiting this site again.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Shanefidel 3 reviews from this member

This was my first camping trip ! I had 3 days mountain biking in an area I had never ridden. I wanted a basic site that was handy for the area I wanted to ride.

This site was perfect for my needs. The owners were very helpful on arrival and showed me where to pitch(right by the toilets and showers).

The toilets were clean and the showers piping hot.

Considering it did not stop raining the whole time, and I was sure at times my little tent was going to be blown away with the winds, the site drained really well and was far less muddy than I expected considering the awful weather.

All in all this was a very good first experience of life under canvas and if you just need a base to explore the area this site would be a very good choice.

My wife and little boy came to pick me up and decided to stay the night (which was really nice as she swore she would never sleep in a tent !)

My little boy who is 3 loved the experience.

On the down side as a family, longer than a night or two may be too much with just the basic amenities, but as I say one your own this site is perfect.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Towzer 9 reviews from this member

We spent the bank holiday weekend here with very mixed weather. 2 tents, 4 adults, 5 kids and a dog.

Firstly the positives, the views are superb! all the tent pitches are on levelled plateaus up the side of the hill so everyone has amazing views out to Barmouth, lovely during the day and looking out over the twinkling lights on an evening - beautiful. Also, the area is very very pretty the drive to Barmouth and out that way is beautiful.

We went to some lovely waterfalls and the beach one day and had a fantastic time. The campsite owners are often to be seen driving round the site and are friendly and helpful showing you where to pitch and offering advice on where to go. The pitches are a good size, but due to the layout of the them it wasn't as child friendly as some sites as it didn't really promote them running around and playing or riding bikes or scooters, some may see this as a positive of course!

Negatives are that the facilities are very basic. In the camping field there is one portable loo which towards the middle of the bank holiday weekend stank (only when inside it). On the edge of the camping area there is a toilet block which is a green portable cabin. In the ladies there are 2 toilets and 1 shower. Looking at the size of the gents I would imagine much the same plus some urinals. There are also 2 small hand sinks and no mirror. They are, however, clean enough and the showers are free and warm.

On the bank holiday we did find ourselves having to queue for showers. There is also another toilet block down the hill by the static caravans (very spacious static area compared to those that are normally crammed in by the way), my other half said that these were fine, though we were told the showers were 1, but I do not know that first hand from my party.

The only other negative was that on the Friday night it did rain very heavily and when we woke up in the morning and put away our blow up mattress water had leaked through the base of the tent and through the rugs down underneath it. This has never happened before and didn't happen any other night on our stay, but I do think that as the site is built on a hill with the plateaued pitches the rain must run down and then sit on the pitches. However, the rain was very hard so it may just have been unfortunate but as we have never had this problem before and have camped in the rain more times than I care to mention thought it worthy of note. Our friends did not have the same issue though on the pitch/plateau next to us.

All in all we had a great break and I would stay there again, though with young kids would possibly look for somewhere flatter with something for them to do.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: AnnMal 2 reviews from this member

The drive up to the top part of this site is v steep and owners with large/heavy caravans may find it difficult with 180 degree turn to negotiate. Also the drive needs some repair to the broken surface and deep potholes.

The toilets leave a lot to be desired, the lower ones were broken and very dirty. The top ones not very clean and the shower curtain is too short to hang in the tray and the water spills on to the floor (which does need to be cleaned). I would have been happy to mop up but no cleaning equipment is provided.

There is loads to do in the area, either on foot, bike, train and the views from the site are to die for but I think the charges are too high for the quality of the facilities provided and you are paying for the view.

Would be such a beautiful site with a little bit of TLC. Would not return in its present condition

Previous     24 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Coleman Event Shelter from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!