Visitor Reviews - Castel Le Chateau De Chanteloup

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > Europe > France > Loire Valley > Site Reviews

Castel Le Chateau De Chanteloup
Chanteloup
Sille Le Philippe
Loire Valley   (Browse area)
72460   See Map
Tel: 0033 02 43 27 51 07
    Visit their website

Open: 01/06 To 01/09

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool On Site
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport

Reviews:  52 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Write your own Review to win a £150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Dlittle 7 reviews from this member

An excellent stay at this site. The facilities were very good and always clean and accessible, plenty of hot water, showers had good water pressure etc.

Staff friendly, formal and very helpful. Piches, large and well maintained. No camp shop but fresh bread available everyday.

Bar, restaurant and an excellent take away service. We would certainly recommend this site.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Martin1010 13 reviews from this member

Stayed for a weekend in the way back from the south.

Lovely and well laid out site. Essentially 4 different fields with visitors tending to be grouped for those just staying overnight and those longer. Beautiful and well maintained facilities. The pool area particularly with chairs and umbrellas of an exceptional standard I haven't seen before. It reminded me why I loved Castel sites so much.

The restaurant was excellent and we had a really enjoyable and beautifully cooked meal. Was busy so booking essential in school holidays.

Had a visit into Le Mans. Well worth it. We had lunch overlooking the main square where the civil registry office was where clearly everyone has to be married prior to the civil ceremony. A conveyor belt every 15 mins but fab to watch with some really colourful dresses and cars.

What was brilliant and doesn't matter to many is that there was a good percentage of British visitors which having teenage kids was great. This was after 2 1/2 weeks further south on a lovely site but hardly any British kids for ours to befriend and have fun with. Within hours our kids had disappeared and were having fun as were we with our very friendly neighbours.

I would most definitely return for longer

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Julian Dearson 57 reviews from this member

I am starting to realise I am a creature of habit as this is now the third review of Chantaloup and I am visiting again in July.

This trip was one 'with the boys' as we were attending the Le Mans 24 hour in early June. Whilst I only spent a couple of nights (due to the RV breaking down on the way there and also we spent Friday and Saturday in the RV at the track) at the site, my friends spent 5 nights in the accommodation; which from what I saw was excellent.

The weather had been absolutely awful leading up to the race and indeed Thursday night the heavens opened. Still on site, the drainage at the top of the Verge field worked well and it was pretty firm. Fortunately we did not knacker Dominique's beautifully manicured gardens when arriving or leaving.

Chantaloup is a wonderful site and I am looking forward to returning with my family at the end of July.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: HertsCamper 10 reviews from this member

Our return plans for May half term were disrupted due to the flooding around Orleans, so we ended up at this campsite due to its availability for an overnight stop. It was a more expensive campsite than we are used to (45 Euros for 2 adults, 2 children and a tent) but I would say it was value for money.

The site is easy to find in a village to the north east of Le Mans and is convenient for the A28 motorway. I gather that the local village has a supermarket, but we didnít leave the site during our stay so canít confirm.

Set in the large grounds of a Chateau, with original buildings used for the washrooms etc, it was a very pleasant experience. They key requirement we had was a restaurant on site, and the one here is very good with a choice of pizza or traditional French cuisine. It was also a very good price. There is a bar and also a large TV screen outside by the reception area which was showing the French Open tennis, with plenty of outdoor seating around.

The staff were very helpful, showing us to our pitch, explaining where all the facilities were, arranging the all important morning bread delivery and all spoke good English if required. All the facilities were modern, nicely decorated and really clean. There was always toilet paper in the cubicles and always soap in the dispenser. The shower was really good!

A walk around the grounds revealed a lovely looking pool, a play ground for the under 8ís with ďvillageĒ of playhouses, a trampoline, an outdoor gym area, volleyball and basket ball courts, loads of ping pong tables and lots of areas with tables and chairs. The only thing missing in my opinion was catering for children over 8 years old. Much as my children (over 8) loved the campsite for the time we were there, I think they would get bored on a longer stay.

We were given an individual pitch for our tent, which was a fairly flat pitch. It was surrounded by low hedges which gave a good balance between privacy and being too boxed in. We didnít have electricity so I canít comment on that. There was large open area on the opposite side of the chateau on which all the motorhomes and caravans were pitched. The chateau with reception, bar, restaurant and washrooms were all in the centre of the pitches, so no pitches were located very far from the facilities.

I wouldnít hesitate to stop here overnight again or possibly for a few days. I have had my eyes opened to the quality of a 5 star site and I was very impressed.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Julian Dearson 57 reviews from this member

Our second year at this magical site just north of Le Mans. Myself, partner, daughter and niece spent 7 nights here is July. Our niece flew into Tours and we collected her very easily (it is about an hour to drive it from Chanteloup).

As you arrive, the warmth, charm and magic of Chanteloup takes hold. Set in grounds of an early 18th Century Chateau, the site makes the very most of its opportunities. On the main fields there are no marked pitches and you are asked to have your rig parked facing into the middle of the field, instantly you feel part of the community. Facilities are in the converted farm buildings and are to a good standard; there are plenty of toilets and showers and the water is always warm and plentiful.

The swimming pool is adequate whilst not being fantastic but the setting is superb.

The chateau is an integral part of the site and houses the bar and games room; the terrace and garden of the chateau are used to sit and drink and watch the time drift by slowly.

Chanteloup is run by Dominique Souffrant and his Dream team and they contribute hugely to the feeling of the site. We were lucky enough to be present at the 200th anniversary of the chateau this year and it was clear how important the place is to Dominique.

We have met numerous people who return year in year out, from all parts of Europe including some who have been going for over 30 years - every year! We are already planning our trip next year.

Chanteloup is about 15 minutes drive from Le Mans and further afield you have the Loir and the Sarthe valleys. I visited the race track of the 24hours race (I attend every year but it was nice to be able to see things I have never seen after 20 years of attending as a spectator!) and standing atop the podium was pretty special for me! We hired a car whilst in France and the one day the weather was poor we went for a drive and ended up around La Fleche which is very pretty - even in the drizzle. Le Mans itself is a very historical city and the Plantagenet quarter is worth a visit.

We all love this site and will be returning every year we can.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Defender 6 reviews from this member

Difficult to offer anything other than an overall impression of this site as we only used it for one night as a stop-over en-route to the Vendee.

Lovely location just NE of Le Mans and around a 30mins drive to the famous motor-racing circuit. We arrived on site and followed the signs to reception whereupon, after booking-in, we had to execute a three-point turn (whilst minding the grass!) and head back towards the entrance to the Chateau, where the short-stays and overnighters appear to be located.

The pitch was not a pitch as such, more a case of park up in the outer loop of a partially wooded area and hook up to one of the numerous electric points. The ground was reasonable level and flat but due to the canopy of the trees, extremely shaded and therefore damp underfoot.

We were due to leave early the next morning so it was a 'basic' set-up: unhitch, legs down and hook-up connected.

We walked back into what you would justifiably call the site proper. The location and setting are sublime. The site staff were all friendly and helpful and on the evening of our arrival there was a social BBQ organised with the staff cooking the food and patrons sitting at long tables.

We ate at the restaurant where the food was excellent and although the prices appeared a little steep (we have not holidayed overseas before) we soon realised that these prices were comparable with what we would be paying throughout the rest of our holiday. From memory, I think it was around 13E for a chickenburger and chips.

There was a very small shop on site, from which we had no cause to purchase anything.

There appeared to be a friendly, convivial atmosphere on the site, with the majority of guests appearing to be either British or Dutch?

The site has a swimming pool, large fishing lake (yes- lake!) woodland walks leading to some unexpected and delightful finds ( a small rotunda building complete with its own suntrap lawn) and adjacent to the overnight stays, a large football area.

I'm not sure if we would return to this site - not because of the site itself, just that I'm not sure that we would spend time exploring this region of France - but time will tell! Were we too, this site would be high on our list of 'must stay at' locations.

Previous     52 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review to win a £150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Loire Valley   -   Search for a site

Win an Outwell Barbecue Package worth £249 Win a Clarke IG2000B 1.8kW Suitcase Generator worth £299

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally 7th to 7th July, Derbyshire