Visitor Reviews - Camping Bel Ombrage

Camping Bel Ombrage
Bel Ombrage
St Cybranet
Aquitaine   (Browse area)
24250   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: +33 (0)553 283 414

5m  5m  5m 5m   5m  5m

Open: 1 June To 5 September

Reviews:  13 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Pc230 1 review from this member

Travelled from Loire valley to this gem of a site

Terrific site stayed 14 nights only paid for 10 (special offer) asked if we wanted a pitch by the river, absolutely fantastic I was with other brits but not isolated, site amenities 5star toilets/showers cleaned all the time local baker visited every morning, pools great, could do with a bar/restaurant on site' local area outstanding,

Hope to return when we retire to stay a month or more

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Cassied 3 reviews from this member

A gem of a site very quiet first week in July, became busy on the second week. Well placed for local trips and attractions. There was a local fete held at St Cybranet on the first weekend of July, all sorts happening including live rock bands for 3 nights, easily heard from campsite into the small hours. There is an almost flat cycle route to Dagalan around 8km but even the main roads in the area were cycle friendly. Campsite owners efficient and hard working. Excellent pool with a plunge pool for non swimmers. Toilets modern and kept clean. Pitch shaded by the river.

Attractive peaceful site in beautiful surroundings and is perfect if you prefer minimal fuss and create your own entertainment.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Carmiechops 6 reviews from this member

We spent 7 days on this site this August. Our pitch was lovely, very private, spacious and shady. There were bins, both recycling and rubbish, and a tap very close to the tent. The toilet block, although being heavily used, was cleaned thoroughly twice a day.

The pools were great, very clean and refreshing. It was difficult to get our daughter to leave! There were two table tennis tables indoors near the pool.

For us this was a busy, quite noisy site. Obviously it was August and high season so if you come here then expect lots of teenage singing in the evening, babies crying etc.

The river on the campsite was a shallow uninviting prospect at this point in the summer.

The owner was pleasant but on arriving information about the site and facilities was limited. We were merely directed to our pitch. On the plus side she put our ice packs in the freezer whenever asked.

The nearby pizza place provided lovely take-away pizzas, we didn't eat in.

We would not return to the Dordogne in high season as we were astounded as to how busy it was. I don't expect to sit in traffic jams in rural France and this was the first time. Although Sarlat was delightful it too was just heaving with traffic and people (especially English people!).

The same can be said of the Dordogne river. We had a lovely canoe trip down it (from Castelnaud), but it was like a motorway for canoes - too busy!

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jacfrosty 1 review from this member

Lovely site, we had pitch 16, right on the river which was heaven for our labrador 'teen'. The weather wasn't as it should be at that time of year and we slightly missed an on-site restaurant/bar because of this, but as we booked the site because they didn't have these facilities so I have no right to complain! Lots of Dutch around when we were there most of whom are a total joy. Honestly, if you want to get your children away from all the gizmos of the more sophisticated sites, bring them here. Endless fun by all the Dutch dads and kids building dams etc. I quite longed for my children to be young again. And anyway. Nothing stopped THIS old granny playing in the water!

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Savanne1 23 reviews from this member

We spent 10 nights on pitch 163 which was a very good size, very quiet with a lovely outlook over a wild meadow. We found the site easy to find and its really well located for all the Dordogne attractions. As mentioned in another review there are three entrances to the site and which you go down to get to your pitch depends where you are located. We had booked through the caravan club, check in was quick and easy. Our pitch location was shown to us on a map and we easily found it. Access to the pitches is good and there was even a huge american rv there during our stay. The pitches on the whole were flat (some nearer the pool were more sloping)

We would have appreciated an information sheet but luckily as I'd read the reviews on here I knew about the bread van etc.

The site borders the River Ceou and has several small streams running through it and our pitch backed onto one of these. Most pitches are in the shade of large well established trees and intially this disappointed me but when the temp reached 40c I was very pleased with the shade.

We used the large central toilet block which we always found very clean. You need to take your own loo roll although there is soap from dispensers. The showers and dish washing sinks in the central bit looked new, the showers were always powerful and the cubicles were roomy. We did find the water pressure poor for the washing up sinks and some days the water was only lukewarm. Washing machine tokens could be bought from reception for 2 euros but you need your own washing powder. The bins were well placed throughout the site, with separate ones for general waste, bottles and a third for plastics/cardboards etc. These were emptied reguarly throughout the day.

The pools were very clean and refreshing. They stayed open til it got dark which was great when we returned from hot days out in the car! They arent supervised and men arent restricted to lycra swimwear. There were plenty of sunloungers but no parasols which in the very hot weather would have been much appreciated. There is a terrace with chairs that had shade so I would quite often sit up there whilst our daughter used the pool.

We didn't think much of the bread van that beeped his horn each morning anytime between 8. 30 and 9am. The van was from Cenac which has two bread shops and we would highly recommend the other one which is on the left as you drive through the village towards Shopi. The organic supermarket in St Cybranet also sold very nice seeded bread but didn't open til 9. 30am I think.

We ate at the pizza place next to the site on our last night and like the previous reviewer would NOT recommend it. We felt a bit of an unpleasant atmosphere form the minute we arrived. The woman who took our order I think was in charge and was sullen and very disinterested. We asked for water as well as wine but had no glasses or cutlery. We asked for this but were ignored so we took it from another table, the ladt in charge then scowled at us! Our meals all came out separately, I was almost finished my pizza before another meal appeared. The food was nothing special and the pizza bases weren't freshly made. We did notice the french got much better service.

I highly recommend the market in Sarlat on a Saturday, we got there by 9. 30am and managed to park easily. We went to Domme market on Thursay but other than the nice views I wouldn't recommend that market. Cenac (5 mins drive) also had a good market on a Tuesday. We used Shopi in Cenac and E Lclerc in Sarlat for our food shopping, the fuel being cheapest at Lclerc.

We did a canoe trip through a firm at Castelnaud, plenty of free parking and they took us up stream to Vitrac and we then made our own way back down the river to Castelnaud in our own time. I would highly recommend this, it was a great way to spend an afternoon. Our daughter also really enjoyed the tree canopy/climbing adventure park which can be found outside Beynac signposted off the main road. The zip wires cross the Dordogne and she loved it. Get there early (before 10. 30am) as after this it got very busy.

To sum up Bel Ombrage really is a lovely site, its so laid back, peaceful and unspoilt and would recommend it to anyone looking for a quiet site with easy access to all the Dordogne has to offer.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: LucyLou17 1 review from this member

Cannot recommend this site enough, we loved it and will definitely be returning. The owners were very friendly, helpful and more than accommodating. We left early as the weather was due to change for the worse, we packed up and didn't leave until 16. 30 we expected to pay for the booked duration but they didn't charge us, they only gave us a bill for up to the previous night, which was really kind as we were there until way past check out and fully expected to pay for the time booked.

The pitches here are large, we have a large dome tent with 3 bedroom pods and we parked the car and had a gazebo up (at no extra charge) so ample room.

The amenities blocks were clean and we never had to wait for any facilities. The shower pressures were really good which was great as usually it can be a long job to wash my long hair (all you ladies will know this is an important feature)! Some showers have the hand held showers rather than the fixed ones, which makes washing smaller children a lot easier and I also noticed that the central toilet block also had a cubicle with a baby bath which was a proper set in work top style (almost like an oversized basin). There were several washing machines and a tumble dryer available at a charge with tokens purchased via reception. Some of the pitches (mine included) had washing lines already strung from the trees the depth of the pitch which was really handy.

The three pools were great and a real hit with the children, aged 12 & 6. There is a baby/toddler pool, a medium pool which was about 1. 5 metres deep and a very large pool which was shallower at either end and at its deepest in the middle. They were pretty crowded until tea time but it was peak season and the site is very large but if you like calm then time your swim early evening when everyone is having dinner and you can get the pool to yourself! They were kept spotlessly clean and were well maintained with benches and sun beds around the perimeter. Pools are located behind the reception and games room and to the side is a small playground with slide and swings (shaded). There is also a large field for playing ball games to the far side of the site.

There is a little river running through the site and this is a refreshing alternative to the pool and leads to hours of fun for the children with lots to explore and in the shade.

The site is peaceful and quiet at night with a friendly family atmosphere. It is located in a country road with no road noise.

We noticed good reviews for the pizza restaurant located next door to the site and decided to go there and eat in for my daughters birthday and sadly we were really disappointed. We could not fault the food although is was nothing special it was nice but the service was terrible. We were in a group of 6 people! The 2 children received their food and it was dumped in front of them. Then when they had finished and trust me they are slow, we received 2 adult meals they finished eating and still 2 meals were missing. Pizza's were being brought out and served to other tables arriving after us and were surrounded by English and Dutch who were being ignored and it started to seem as if a pattern to the service was emerging. I speak french so decided I should try and speak to someone, I eventually caught the attention of one of the waitresses, she didn't seem surprised but was really apologetic and embarrassed. She went and spoke with the lady that took our order (The Manageress) and then came back and said 5 more minutes. At the time we got our final pizza's we had been in the restaurant almost 2 hours and we didn't have any starters. We didn't bother with dessert as the children were falling asleep and I had to go to the bar to get attention in order to pay the bill. I complained as it ruined my little girls birthday dinner and was faced with a verbal attack from the manager who just said it was my problem, and that is how she does it, and her locals come first and tourists come and go and will be served in good time. If I didn't like to wait then tough. The nice waitress was so upset and apologetic she said I wish I could do something but it was out of her hands and she had to do what she is told. Clearly the woman who owns this restaurant is a bully and does not value the tourists that support her living, strongly do NOT recommend!

At Castlenaud just a few minutes down the road there is a bakers, a small shop, canoe hire and a pizzeria (although did not get to try this one, I would give it a go rather than use the one by site).

Highly recommend hiring a canoe, absolutely beautiful scenery, from Castlenaud 8 Euros each for 6km, half price for kids and 2 Euros for a plastic barrel to put you picnic and belongings in. Not sure what the next pricing scale was but think it was 12 Euros for roughly 3 hours! but you can select the distance to suit you best. However, you don't need to get wet, I went fully clothed and other than the odd splash from the children's ores, I stayed dry. They however went suited and booted for swimming, which they loved! Lots of places along the river banks where you can just pull up your canoe and have your picnic and a swim and then continue on your way when you are ready. We also rented from Vitrac which was more expensive but excellent service, very friendly they spoke good English, I also preferred the canoes here and the return buses were very regular!

At the site the bread man comes every morning at 08. 30, on Wednesday evenings a stall is set up with local wine and foie gras, and some afternoons a local comes around with a fruit cart.

Sarlat has a wonderful market every Saturday and there is a small one in Castlenaud during the week but I can't remember which day!

Overall, fantastic site in wonderful area and setting, but would avoid pizzeria next door!

Previous     13 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Aquitaine   -   Search for a site

Win a Coleman Event Shelter from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!