Visitor Reviews - Foxholes Castle Camping

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Shropshire > Site Reviews

Foxholes Castle Camping
Foxholes
Montgomery Road
Bishops Castle
Shropshire   (Browse area)
SY9 5HA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel:

1m  1m  1m 1m  5m   1m  5m  1m

Pitches: please go to booking form on website

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  87 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
100 for your reviewEvery month someone who has left a review of any caravan park or campsite will win 100 of Amazon vouchers So, if you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win!

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: She25 7 reviews from this member

My second time visiting this lovely place. Choice of at least three fields to camp in, with the best sunset in the top field (turn left round the house when you get there). From here there are panoramic views of the long mynd too. However we spent the first couple of nights in the lower field and enjoyed it as hardly anybody was in that one.

Facilities are good - space in showers to hang things, plenty of loos. I didn't find a plug for my hairdryer but who needs that when camping anyway.

The 'common room' with plenty of space to freeze ice packs and dry towels is very welcoming if you need to escape the weather at any point.

Bishops Castle is a lovely little village. 10 mins walk (take a torch) we ate at the Castle Hotel (lovely food, if service left a bit to be desired) and the Boars Head with fantastic home made Carribbean curry. Plenty of local food shops and a good live music venue at the Vaults.

I'd certainly come here again.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Benmark10 9 reviews from this member

As a motorcycle tourer who appreciates peace and quiet, but at the same time being able to easily get to a pub, Foxholes really had everything I look for in a campsite!

The site is vast, with a number of fields to pitch in. It may have been midweek, but halfway through the school holidays I was surprised how few people appeared to be camped there. Probably because it was so easy to spread out. I find it hard to believe it ever 'feels' busy here.

At night there is no road noise, and barely any light pollution, yet the site is a mere 10-15 minute walk from Bishop's Castle town which has a surprising array of excellent pubs (including a live music venue - 'Vaults at the Rose and Crown') and a couple of places to eat, as well as a shop that opens until 10pm. The town itself is lovely to walk around - very picture postcard.

Toilets and Showers are in excellent condition and kept very clean. I never had to wait for a shower. There is also a small room with a sofa and a table where you could go and play board games if the weather got a bit grotty and you're in a small tent.

A big plus is the fact that they allow campfires, and wood is just 3 a bag!

In terms of location, it's actually good for exploring Snowdonia national park by motorbike or car (or possibly bicycle), and apparently there are some excellent walks starting near the campsite too.

All this for 8 a night (per adult). I'd certainly visit again.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Barnyb2012 6 reviews from this member

This is my second stay at Foxholes, but the first for the Real Ale Trail I was advised by my friend to book up early, it was a good job I did book because there was a 'Fully Booked' sign under the entrance sign. This is a very popular come Trail weekend.

I had to pitch up in the large slopping field which is a straight drive from reception, and due to it raining and the slope I had a little difficulty in getting my motorhome off the grass and onto the small gravel drive that runs part way through the field.

The others in the party were in tents and they stayed on the large tenting field behind the owners home this afforded them a fab view of the Shropshire Hills.

As most have said the site is clean, well maintained and has all I needed for a weekends trip.

The cost at the time of this review was 8. 00 per adult and 4. 00 for children and 1. 00 for well behaved dogs.

However during the Real Ale Trail weekend the hire of a fire drum and the purchase of wood is not allowed, I presume for safety reasons.

I will return to Foxholes with my partner and Labrador to take a closer look at the walking trails and quaint shops Bishops Castle has to offer.

Make a booking and try this off grid site with it's easy access to town and some wonderful views.

Date of Visit: July 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Coffeegirl_forever 5 reviews from this member

Again, I had an outstanding (to use teacher-speak) weekend with my colleagues. Bishops Castle Ale Trail is a social event for ale fans who don't mind enduring the dodgy weather.

Once on site the owners were as friendly as ever, even recognising me from last November! This shows true consideration and how welcoming they are.

We camped in the smallest area opposite the house which was a bit like camping in your neighbour's garden! There were plenty of other fields for caravans, camper vans and tents but we were allowed to use this section.

All facilities are close together with easy access. Including showers, toilets, washing up sinks, a small indoor area with a fridge and sofa.

Everyone treats the place with respect because it's so special. There are areas for wildlife, for example where we camped was a wild rabbit, nesting sparrows, a robin, black beetle and a moth. This site cares about the countryside and should probably considered an eco-friendly holiday venue.

Nearby is Bishops Castle accessed by a path through a beautiful barley field. This did become slippy in the torrential rain but in flip flops I didn't fall over once. In the town are charity shops, vintage and antique shops, cafes, a bank, a variety of others including food specialists, a bank and a Co-op. Of course there are several pubs that take part in the ale festival.

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Bogey567 5 reviews from this member

I was a little apprehensive about going to this site, because of firstly not having a electric hook up and it looked sort of quirky. But upon arrival we were deemed not to be too big and had the choice of ALL the fields. I have a Auto trail Tribute 670, based upon a Fiat Ducato van. After driving into each field we decided upon the tent field, because it allows camper vans and it had the best views. We had a great two nights. There is a path into Bishops Castle, which is not too onerous after visiting the Three Tuns and the Ganges Indian Restaurant!. But most of all we had uninterrupted and glorious views of the Shropshire hills from our pitch in the field. We were probably lucky to get into this field, but I have to say it was absolutely perfect for us. If we had to park up with some of the other vans we would have been bitterly disappointed. As it turns out we loved the place. Can I go in the tent field again please?? Is there any chance of electricity??

Date of Visit: May 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kezzy01 1 review from this member

What an absolutely wonderful little gem. We've booked to return in July 2016 for our wedding anniversary. We can't wait!

I have been a tent camper since a little girl (yes, before good ole electric hookup and toilet blocks) I have visited many camp sites. I viewed this many times but never booked, why why why? its outstanding. 5 fields to choose from, pitch where you like and the views, WOW WOW WOW! It can get very windy in the top tent field though. We saw the lady owner everyday walking her dog and she was very friendly. We hired a fire fit and Kindling/log bags are also for sale.

The facilities are eco friendly and recycling is a must!

The little pretty walk about 8 minutes through the field is lovely into the village and guess what we found there?? two micro pubs selling their own real ales. The Six Bells do Dark Angel dark ale, try it at your peril, its very strong but very moreish. There was the Three Tuns and The Castle Hotel at the top of the village serve great food and the views are amazing. They also sell the local real ales. There is also a chippie, CO-OP and takeaways.

We also took our 15 year old doggie and chose this site as the walk to the village was OAP doggie friendly and he managed the walk with ease.

As I did not have children with with me I could not rate the child friendliness, but I observed a lot of children thoroughly enjoying themselves. Playing good ole basic games of rounders, cricket, football, frisby, riding bikes and congregating around the rope swing. Just enjoying being kids. I wish I had brought my daughter here as a young girl, she was also raised with the spirit of camping.

Previous     87 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Shropshire   -   Search for a site

Win an Abberley 2 Lightweight Touring Tent Win a Best of British Holiday worth up to 175!

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough - 22nd to 23rd April