Visitor Reviews - Duloch Hamlet Fife Near Edinburgh ( Gimme Shelter )

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Scotland > Fife > Site Reviews

Duloch Hamlet Fife Near Edinburgh ( Gimme Shelter )
2 Dales Farm Cottage
Inverkeithing
Dunfermline
Fife   (Browse area)
KY11 7HR   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 07957 264 805

1m  1m  1m  5m  10m  5m  5m  5m   5m  10m  1m

Pitches: 15 on each of 2 levels

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Glamping

Reviews:  26 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sglgiles 1 review from this member

I took it in to my head to go camping on my own for 2 days in some of the worst rain and winds we have had all summer.

My family fully expected me to be swept away, and I was, by the friendliness and amazing facilities of this site.

The little groves that the individual lots are in mean that the wind was mostly dissipated by the trees, and also leave a girl feeling like she really is the only person on site (when I know I wasn't). The individual fire pits and wooden furniture are also a lovely touch.

When I read there would be sawdust toilets I was expecting something like from Guide Camp of old, a trench. What it actually means is beautifully constructed wooden huts using old furniture and fittings to give a lovely retro feel. They are pleasant to use, and if used properly do not smell.

The owners are very lovely and where quite concerned about me on my own in the weather, but the peacefulness of the surroundings meant I slept like a baby. The nearby motorway is not intrusive, though I was a little disturbed by the air traffic waiting to land in Edinburgh. I could also hear some train noise but since I used to live practically on top of the train station in Inverkiething this was quite relaxing for me.

I can not wait to hurry back!

Date of Visit: December 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bangell1959 1 review from this member

Spent 1 night at this fantastic site in between Xmas and New Year. After a very easy e-mail exchange

To book a pitch, Chris met me at the gate and showed me a few of the woodland pitches that I had asked for. After selecting a great pitch I was shown where the water, toilets and wood store were. Spent a great night by a nice warm fire looking at a clear star filled sky. Brilliant site, friendly owners and I will def' use again. Highly recommend it if a no frills camping experience is what you like.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: D8ncer 4 reviews from this member

Had a one night stay at this site on a Saturday night. The owner was great, meeting us at the gate and showing us to our pitch.

Site has lots of pitches for different sized tents and all have an area for having a campfire. Although there are many pitches with some fairly close to each other, due to the trees and bushes you feel like you are the only ones there.

When you are staying, it feels like you are wild camping without the wild, and makes for a magical experience. Although it was raining and drizzly we still had our campfire and sat out until late at night enjoying the piece and quiet.

Toilets and facilities are basic, but still clean and looked after. They will be nothing like most are used to but have a natural charm that we loved.

Due to its location, don't get any of the dreaded midges as well. Great site to allow visiting Dunfermline with all its historical sites such as King Robert the Bruce's burial site inside Dunfermline Abbey. Also the Andrew Carnegie birthplace museum. Lots of History around Dunfermline that most don't realise with it also having been up to the 17th century the capital of Scotland before Edinburgh.

Half an hour over the forth bridge and you are in Edinburgh or great one night stopover if you are heading north on a longer trip around Scotland.

We actually come from Dunfermline and had never visited the site. Such a mistake and will be back as soon as we can.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fraserrankin 1 review from this member

Have just returned from first camping trip with 2 four year olds.

What a gem of a campsite and it's everything the boys expected and more. The owners were so nice and welcoming.

I'm not a fan of organised camping, so this was the perfect venue as it still has the natural and rustic feel with the security of a site.

We shall return

Fraser R

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Armchaircamper 21 reviews from this member

Just an additional piece of information which might be useful to anyone going to this campsite. The shower facilities which are available at the nearby Duloch Leisure Centre now cost £2. 70, considerably up on last year's prices. For that you get hot water and the use of a hairdryer but take your own towel and toiletries. I can only speak for the ladies' facilities but there is a communal changing room and three powerful showers in spacious individual cubicles.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Krazykamper 37 reviews from this member

Well. I can only echo what others have already mentioned. This truly is a quirky rustic site. Will I be back? Try and stop me!

When you first arrive, don't be put off by the big locked gate. If no one is around, there is a mobile number to call and someone will come and let you in.

Upon arrival, I was warmly greeted by the owners. What a lovely friendly couple. I was shown to my pitch 'strawberry field'. This pitch was near the top of the site and the motorway traffic could be heard slightly but this did not spoil my time here. There are four little pitches just off strawberry field which came in handy as I was meeting up with other UKCS members.

The toilets are not too bad once you get the hang of it. I particularly loved the reading material on the walls of the 'dunnie'! Antibacterial hand wash and proper towels were provided which was a nice touch. There are no showers on site but when your sitting chilling out round a campfire all day there seems little need for them. There are showers at a nearby leisure centre if required.

You can buy a big trug bucket of firewood for five pounds. This includes some kindling and paper. Very useful to get the fire initially up and running! The owners also operate an honesty box so there is firewood available whenever you need it.

If you are very lucky, you may spot a badger! There is a badger hide for visitors to use. The best time to spot them is just before dusk!

I just love this site. Each pitch is so very different. Most pitches come with handmade table and benches. The owner made a lovely new bench for my pitch while I was there. I'm sure I will be back soon sitting round that fire listening to Mr Owl hooting away!

Previous     26 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Fife   -   Search for a site

Win a bundle of VARTA camping essentials worth over £100! Win a Festival Starter Pack, worth over £100!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 20th – 23rd August
The world’s biggest tribute band music festival in East Yorkshire - PLUS exclusive 10% discount on tickets!