Visitor Reviews - Duloch Hamlet Gimme Shelter Camping

Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring <5 miles
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <1 mile

Reviews:  29 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Heath63 13 reviews from this member

This time last year, I left a review. Not a lot to add. It's a great little campsite, if you like back to basics and enjoy a campfire, this is the site for you. Basics mean no running water except for a tap at the gate entrance, the toilet is the dunny. Yvonne and Chris are lovely people, very friendly.

Not far is a retail outlets for any shopping.

On this trip we took the boat ride on the Forth, we all enjoyed it. The commentary was great and got to see seals sunbathing. On board there are toilets and bar, which serves beverages: tea, coffee, alcohol and snacks. Hawes Inn is highly recommended found opposite the landing stage, all this is found in South Queensferry, which is a lovely historical town.

I just can't believe that there is only one review since my last one.

I have given the site a high rating, . However if you like running water, flushing toilets and EHU and heated facilities then this site is not for you.

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Taz07 1 review from this member

Myself and my four girls had a ball back to basics which was an experienced in itself when it comes to 4 kids that are not used to not having wifi. But they did well and mucked in and we got tent up and all sorted while I got the fire going to get there tea on the go. We all had toasted marshmallows and girls sang songs in the rain loved every minute and will definitely be back again just a pitty I had to get back early on leaving as I would of still been there. Loved every minute and will definitely be back. Love wilson clan xx

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Heath63 13 reviews from this member

What a gem of a site, just North of Edinburgh. Family run, site, the owners are a lovely, friendly couple. A very qirky, rustic; everything is hand built, made from recycled wood.

Pitches are are scattered around, individually named, they give you a sense of privacy, fires are allowed each pitch has a fire pit, bench/tables. Pitches are either in the woods or on open ground which are surrounded by brambles/BlackBerry bushes. Cars are parked in the lane, with a short walk to the pitches. Drinking water standpipe is by the entrance. Toilets are composted.

For those who want, flushing toilets, running hot water, showers and underfloor heating. This site won't be for you.

For those who enjoy back to basics and no EHU, then you will like it.

There are a few chainstores for provisions not too far away.

A leisure center provides showers for a fee.

Definitely go back.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sglgiles 1 review from this member

I took it in to my head to go camping on my own for 2 days in some of the worst rain and winds we have had all summer.

My family fully expected me to be swept away, and I was, by the friendliness and amazing facilities of this site.

The little groves that the individual lots are in mean that the wind was mostly dissipated by the trees, and also leave a girl feeling like she really is the only person on site (when I know I wasn't). The individual fire pits and wooden furniture are also a lovely touch.

When I read there would be sawdust toilets I was expecting something like from Guide Camp of old, a trench. What it actually means is beautifully constructed wooden huts using old furniture and fittings to give a lovely retro feel. They are pleasant to use, and if used properly do not smell.

The owners are very lovely and where quite concerned about me on my own in the weather, but the peacefulness of the surroundings meant I slept like a baby. The nearby motorway is not intrusive, though I was a little disturbed by the air traffic waiting to land in Edinburgh. I could also hear some train noise but since I used to live practically on top of the train station in Inverkiething this was quite relaxing for me.

I can not wait to hurry back!

Date of Visit: December 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bangell1959 3 reviews from this member

Spent 1 night at this fantastic site in between Xmas and New Year. After a very easy e-mail exchange

To book a pitch, Chris met me at the gate and showed me a few of the woodland pitches that I had asked for. After selecting a great pitch I was shown where the water, toilets and wood store were. Spent a great night by a nice warm fire looking at a clear star filled sky. Brilliant site, friendly owners and I will def' use again. Highly recommend it if a no frills camping experience is what you like.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: D8ncer 4 reviews from this member

Had a one night stay at this site on a Saturday night. The owner was great, meeting us at the gate and showing us to our pitch.

Site has lots of pitches for different sized tents and all have an area for having a campfire. Although there are many pitches with some fairly close to each other, due to the trees and bushes you feel like you are the only ones there.

When you are staying, it feels like you are wild camping without the wild, and makes for a magical experience. Although it was raining and drizzly we still had our campfire and sat out until late at night enjoying the piece and quiet.

Toilets and facilities are basic, but still clean and looked after. They will be nothing like most are used to but have a natural charm that we loved.

Due to its location, don't get any of the dreaded midges as well. Great site to allow visiting Dunfermline with all its historical sites such as King Robert the Bruce's burial site inside Dunfermline Abbey. Also the Andrew Carnegie birthplace museum. Lots of History around Dunfermline that most don't realise with it also having been up to the 17th century the capital of Scotland before Edinburgh.

Half an hour over the forth bridge and you are in Edinburgh or great one night stopover if you are heading north on a longer trip around Scotland.

We actually come from Dunfermline and had never visited the site. Such a mistake and will be back as soon as we can.

Previous     29 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Fife   -   Search for a site

Win an Outwell Barbecue Package worth 249 Win a Clarke IG2000B 1.8kW Suitcase Generator worth 299

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally 7th to 7th July, Derbyshire