Visitor Reviews - Thirlestane Castle Park

Thirlestane Castle Park
Thirlestane Castle
Lauder
Berwickshire   (Browse area)
TD2 6RU   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m 1m   1m

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  16 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100!
Win 100Submit a review of this site for your chance to win 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Date of Visit: April 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jackadoo 6 reviews from this member

Time for an update. It's only fair that I do so.

I stand by a pretty scathing review back in August 2013 and didn't go back to the site until August 2015. The welcome was frigid to say the least as 'they' knew what I'd written.

However, I returned for my first trip of the season for the Easter weekend. What an absolute pleasure. The new site managers are what this place sorely needed. They are up to speed with social media, take an interest in the local community and in the few weeks Scott and Lesley have been on site, have increased visitor numbers significantly. It really is such a massive difference and I'd recommend anyone going to stay there. Sure, there's a few upgrades needed, but personally I'm not really too bothered. Increased visitor number will mean this happens quicker. Congratulations folks!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: NelehJ 2 reviews from this member

We have just spent 9 days here, 2 adults and a 6yr old. Upon arrival we were greeted by lovely wardens who were very helpful.

We were shown to a pitch but when we asked to move to a different spot (nearer to toilet block) we were happily accommodated.

It is half statics and half tourers with room for a few tents. It is an extremely quiet site which we loved the peach and quiet. Alot of the vans are seasonal and so during the week even quieter.

The facilities are clean and tidy with plenty of free hot water.

I was dubious about booking here after reading other reviews but I am glad we ignored them. You can walk into Lauder in 10mins and there are basic shops.

If we were in the area again I would not hesitate to stay here again. Very peaceful and relaxing break.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: JMGMB1 1 review from this member

Stayed for the first time at Thirlestane Castle for a few days as we were attending an event near Lauder. A very quiet camp site within walking distance to Lauder, which was partly why we booked this site. We were greeted on arrival, and after a long discussion we were shown to our pitch. We did get the feeling we had been put as far away as possible as we had a van, which had they been aware of prior to booking, I don't think we would have been accommodated.

Clean and tidy site, toilet block also clean, although a bit dated, very small shower area, no power points for hairdryer. Its also a long way to empty grey water. I know this is not a big issue however am just comparing this with other sites visited.

In summary a well located basic site great for touring, within walking distance to Lauder, people in Lauder were all very friendly and helpful. If visiting the area again, sadly this would not be my first choice.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: RobertGilchrist 3 reviews from this member

Read some reviews before I came here, some people were moaning for absolutely no reason what so ever, the shower block was cold moan moan, the gates are locked at 11pm moan moan, and my feet got wet from the grass moan moan, oh and the best one the warden was talking to loud??? I suggest these moaners book in to a 5 star hotel and sell there caravans. We were greeted with a happy smile and got our van sited where we wanted and help to level our van with the warden fetching us planks of wood to help level us up, we asked about tv were told signal not very good, so I suggested I'd use my satellite and was told which direction to point it. Had it picking up great signal in seconds, the site is lovely, the town is lovely and the food in the pub was lovely, the warden was a very helpful man and nothing was a problem. So Moaners, YOUR AT A CAMP SITE IN A CARAVAN! Great site I will be back. Oh I forgot me and my wife are very fussy people.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: DeniseMike 1 review from this member

Spent a lovely, peaceful weekend over Easter. Couldn't get a satellite signal on the first pitch we were on but we mentioned this to the warden and we were swiftly moved to another pitch where the signal was fine. The warden couldn't do enough to accommodate us and was very warm and friendly. The pitches are a good size and relatively flat. The views of the surrounding countryside are lovely. The site gates are locked from 11pm which makes you feel very safe.

Toilets and showers were spotlessly clean but maybe a bit chilly.

Lauder itself is lovely with good pubs and chip shop.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Kgm64 3 reviews from this member

My wife and I have just spent a long weekend in the Scottish Borders and on this visit tried Thirlstane Castle Caravan Park. We were welcomed by the wardens with the list of rules as mentioned by others and directed to our pitch with a final reminder that the toilets and showers were closed 1100 to 1200 and Oh!, by the way, there was only 10 amps of power from the electric hook ups (which means we could not have our Heating on at the same time as the water heater and had to switch heating off to use a toaster or hairdryer). I know some might say it's not a major issue, but, it is a pain when all you want to is relax and enjoy your trip, and, it is still early Spring so not that warm at night.

There was no Wi-Fi (we were told by the warden to buy a dongle or go into Lauder and sit outside the Leisure centre), no TV coverage where we were sited (we were told by Warden to get satellite), we had a mile to take our waste water and the toilet/shower block was freezing (although clean enough). The most bizarre rule was the gates were locked at 11pm and would not be re-opened until 0730 in the morning, so if you were visiting or at an event and couldn't get back by then you had no way of getting back in and there was nowhere to leave your vehicle. (we heard in Lauder that that is the most common complaint from visitors).

It is such a shame that the male warden runs the place more like a Stalag than a welcoming 21st century site in a beautiful area. We visit the Borders several times a year for Melrose 7s, Common Ridings, walking, visiting family & friends etc. And am very disappointed we have to rule this site out because of these matters, matters that could easily be put right by the owners rather than employing someone such as this man (who could do with learning something about the area).

Don't be put off visiting this most beautiful part of Scotland, just don't stay at Stalag Thirlstane. Lauder is a welcoming Border town with good pubs, restaurants, chippy/pizza take away, garage/shop, a Baker and Butcher etc. Lauder is also not too far from other Border towns and only 40 mins from Edinburgh.

Management response: We read with huge disappointment that your visit to our Caravan Park was a poor experience so much so that it prompted this post. Anyone trying to enjoy their leisure time, after all many of us get precious little, would have found what you describe very trying.

We are only glad that you concluded by saying the Scottish Borders and town of Lauder are magnificent and everyone in our opinion should come here at least once! Regarding the specifics of your visit its always a challenge to give the right response we certainly don't want to pay lip service nor is there any point being defensive. We have opted to be honest. We have already addressed the short falls of our team, we are dealing with the water/heat issue and the gates are now open for access. Our plans for upgrade include better electric supply and Wifi is being considered. We have resisted providing 21st Century technology and encourage all visitors to hop off the roundabout and soak in the best of our walks, picnic spots, wonderful towns and villages and events. Nonetheless we hear you!

We cannot undo what has happened but we can ensure it doesn't happen again and would ask anyone considering coming to stay and seeing you report to give us the benefit of the doubt and if necessary give us a call so that we can allay any concerns. With regard to your own experience we would like to make amends and ask what can we do to at least make you feel we don't take anyone for granted and that you and indeed all our visitors are so important. We have a number of ideas; a picnic in the Castle grounds, a personal tour of the Castle, tickets to a Vintage Car rally??? Please give our office a call and make yourself known.

With best wishes

The Team at Thirlestane Castle Caravan Park

Previous     16 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100!
Sponsored by the Caravan ClubSubmit a review to UKCampsite.co.uk of any caravan park or campsite for your chance to win your choice of 100 of Caravan Club vouchers or 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of this month's sponsor, The Caravan Club. Join The Club from just 48 per year to enjoy access to over 2,700 sites, exclusive member benefits and site special offers.

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Berwickshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Week Camping Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Parks! Win a pair of Outwell Chairs and Table

UKCS Meet UK Summer Motorhome & Caravan Show 4-5th June
The summer spectacular takes place at the Kent Event Centre. Buy discounted weekend tickets, or enter our competition to win some!

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2016