Visitor Reviews - Rydal Hall Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Rydal Hall Campsite
Ambleside
Ambleside
Cumbria   (Browse area)
LA22 9LX   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 015394 32050

5m  5m  5m 5m  5m   10m  1m

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  29 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Taxis Kendal 23 reviews from this member

Fantastic campsite all round. Superb views, with an amazing warm and clean toilet and shower block. Very quiet site, with little hillocks separating small groups of tents when busy. No road noise at all. We were the only campers on the huge field on our Monday night in October. £18.50 for two adults, small tent and our car. Note you do need to carry from the car a short way to your pitch. The Fairfield Horseshoe is ideally attacked from this site, with more beautiful walking on your doorstep.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Privatehudson 18 reviews from this member

This is a very nice and well organised site, which is ideally located mid way between Ambleside and Grasmere. It is also right at the foot of the Fairfield Horseshoe, so ideal for walking. There's also a pub just down the road

The toilet and shower block is fantastic, always clean and has several plug sockets, which are especially useful for backpackers like myself. There is a cafe on site and the whole setting is very attractive, with a waterfall, gardens and main hall nearby. I enjoyed my stay and would definitely return again

Reviewer: Debsdenton 1 review from this member

We have stayed at this site several times now and I think it is my favourite. We love the fact that there are several smaller areas rather than one huge field, the pub nearby is great, as is the tea shop.

You can easily walk into Ambleside, and (longer walk but very nice) Grasmere as well, and it is in a great position for hillwalking.

The facilities are lovely, although I would agree with the review which complained about the cleaning. I think it is over the top and not very customer-friendly to completely shut the facilities for cleaning at key times.

The only other thing I would watch for is that they can sometimes 'cram' you in at peak times which is the downside of their unique pitches. Still, we will be returning!

Reviewer: Pitchers 1 review from this member

Brilliant campsite. We stayed here for just over a week with 2 children aged 5 and 7. We were allocated a great pitch not too far from the toilet block. Clean facilities and adequate number of showers - which are free so no rummaging for change. Some pitches were quite far from the toilet block and some were up high which may not suit those with young children. We would actually request one of the higher up pitches next time for the view. Yes, you do have to park and then carry your stuff but that means a car free area to play in and great views. Waterfalls on site were a real bonus along with the streams, the peace gardens and the formal Hall gardens too. 25 minute walk to Ambleside along a good footpath. After a meal and some wine we did get taxi back which was only £5. Good pub nearby with Acoustic night where they made us welcome and gave the children shakers to join in. Only bad point was that the freezer couldn't cope and didn't actually freeze our icepacks. This was not really a problem just an observation. We will definitely return.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jbb1003 2 reviews from this member

Had a very pleasant stay at the end of August. Some rain, but the site is generally hilly, and therefore drains very well. I don't think I saw any puddles anywhere apart from the potholes on the driveway. I really like the layout of the campsite - small groups of tents separated by patches of rough ground really improve the view. In general it's a quiet campsite. There was a group one night, and I was woken up by their instructors yapping away at about midnight - however they quietened down instantly when I stuck my head out of the tent.

The wash block is excellent, warm, and in response to another review, did have soap. The showers are a little on the hot side though, which was a problem for my three year old, so I washed her in the sink instead!

There are regular and frequent buses to Ambleside/Grasmere at the foot of the hill, excellent access to the fell up Nab Scar, and it's a flat easy walk of about a mile and a half into Ambleside.

Food at Potted Out in Grasmere was excellent, but don't go there for friendly service! Neighbours said the cream teas at Cote How are expensive but very good. The Badger in Rydal does ok food, but in my opinion is trying to be a gastropub when it isn't really there. Good for emergencies when you're too knackered to cook.

Sheep are both a pro (if your eldest likes them) and a con (if their bleating wakes your youngest up for the first night or two). Chickens are just a pain really, I could do without them, but I suppose they add character.

Adventure playground is a bit run-down. Freezer was broken for the last couple of days, so no freezing icepacks, but the Tesco in Ambleside had ice.

We were on Vodafone, and got intermittent network connection - generally just enough to get the weather forecast, but you wouldn't want to rely on it.

The major bug bear for me was the toilet cleaning. The toilet block is completely closed from 6am-7am (and this realistically meant 7. 15). At that time in the morning the backup loo (at the cafe) isn't open, so it gets a bit problematic when your 3-year old needs a poo at 7am - and I got up at 6. 30 one morning to go for a run, and it was 7. 20 before I could get going. I can't see why they can't have the ladies open while the mens are cleaned, and then vice versa.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cate19 7 reviews from this member

Just returned from a wet weekend at Rydal Hall. Lovely campsite set in the grounds of Rydal Hall. Great facilities with large showers with plenty of space & hot water.

No danger of getting wet clothes as loads of space to put stuff. Great views of the fells from our pitch. Adventure playground for children set away from the tents in the trees.

The only downside to this site is that you have to park the car in a car park & carry all your stuff up the hill to your tent. This is the only negative though.

There is a tea room on site which does good soup & cakes etc. Site within walking distance of Ambleside & Grasmere.

Previous     29 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cumbria   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

1984 Visitors online !