Visitor Reviews - Graig Wen

Graig Wen
Arthog
Dolgellau
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL39 1YP   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  10m  5m  5m  5m   1m  5m

Open: 1st March To 3rd January

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  47 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Andy Black Forest 1 review from this member

I only found out about Graig Wen through chance whilst deciding for somewhere to stay in the Barmouth region and somewhere ideal as a base camp for climbing Cadair Idris. I was impressed at the price for peak season camping and only google searched a couple of images before booking. Had no idea there was a campsite in that location on the Maddawch trail and although at first unsure about the walking distance ( myself and a friend came on train) from Barmouth I was amazed upon arrival at the layout of the site with it's stunning views and we immediately pitched in the lower fields. The second surprise was at how friendly and helpful the staff were (also helping us map out a route via ordinance survey to Cadair Idris) and the on site shop and facilities was fantastic - local organic farm produce is sold along with local alcoholic beverages, essentials and also a charming array of edibles ideal for camping - the sheer thoughtfulness of the stock alone was amazing!. They will also deliver selected supplies straight to your tent at an allotted time such as kindling for the firepits which are on every pitch - amazing! :) The yurts and cottages for rental looked great and we hope to hire one of these in the future. Will definitely be recommending to friends!

NOTE: The site is very eco friendly and on a more whimsical note has undoubtedly the best outdoor toilet in Snowdonia National Park!Behold the stunning views and majesty of TREEBOG!

Date of Visit: April 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Andy Smart 01 1 review from this member

Myself and my friend showed up unannounced but the manager Nick slotted us in no problem including the car being close at hand. He made our stay really really pleasant and was friendly and helpful. We noticed he was like that to everyone who was staying there. Definitely a people person. We forgot our mugs but there he was with two mugs brought to our tent just after we had pitched it.

The place is great, good facilities; WiFi; good showers, heated and clean toilets 24 hrs and food/beer you name it.

Great views and walks. You can make a camp fire just after the campsite gate in the woods where there are swings. I'll be booking the yurt next time though >> A must!

Would definitely go again. Cheers Nick!

Date of Visit: March 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Hawcara 38 reviews from this member

This site is easy to find, but difficult to access if coming from Barmouth direction.

We were welcomed by a lady who was extremely pleasant and later in our stay, sent a chap to recommend a walk. He was very friendly as well.

We had a choice of pitches at the front overlooking the estuary. For caravans/motorhomes all pitches seemed to be on stone and flat.

We did not find any problem with road noise, though our visit was early in the year.

We took bicycles and were able to access the old railway line alongside the estuary. It is a steep ride down the line and a long push back up.

You can easily cycle into Barmouth for a paper and supplies and also cycle to Dogellau the other way. If you like walking this track is still suitable for this.

Showers seemed a bit dated and were free.

If in the area we would go again, stars were clear at night and also hooting from owls

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: 51CR55 1 review from this member

When I first saw this camp site on line I was seduced by the whole thing.

All the details on their Web pages make you want to stay and it looks fantastic. Travelling a long way to get there, your expectations are high and the scenery along the way just add to the treat you are expecting when you arrive.

But I must say, and I am being truthful when I say this, that I was quite disappointed and I felt quite a big lump in my throat as we were shown to our pitch. From all the pictures, and information on the internet, you think you are going to get this wonderful pitch with a fantastic view, and a fire pit near by. Also very quiet and away from it all sort of dreamy place with tweety bird song.

Sorry to sound a bit disappointing, but our pitch was right next to the main road and the noise from that, went on to after midnight and started again around 6:00 a. M. With a flow of traffic every few minutes, so no tweeting bird song! The caravan/camper van pitch area was surrounded by tall fir trees to three sides so there was no view at all, it felt very enclosed and very close to the other vans. If you wanted a view on the two pitches that had it, there was extra to pay and I would imagine that they were taken up quite quickly, as they were full when we got there. There was no camp fire pit that I could see for the camper van/caravaners area or a sign for one. I wanted bird song, camp fires and wonderful views and had come a long way to get them.

There is no mention on the web site that you cannot go down to the camping fields to pitch up a caravan/camper van or the reasons why. ( steep narrow path, bumpy, uneven ground)I think that to avoid disappointment to other caravan/camper vaners, this should be mentioned also that your pitch will be near to the main road.

On the plus side, the pitches are level. There are 2 very good clean new showers with nice hot water, also a small honesty shop next to the showers so if you needed something, it was very handy and very thoughtful of the owners to have this, as it was a drive to the nearest shop. There were 3 wooden seats (Sign posted 'for everyone')that you could sit on to look out at the view, but you had to almost intrude onto the 2 pitches that paid their premium price. They have eco waste bins and points for water and black/grey waste also EHU points and a few toilets.

Walking down the track through the fields was very nice and there you could feel the piece and quiet and hear the bird song. It was lovely, but very steep to walk back up. The cycle track was accessed through the camping fields and this was very nice with fantastic views and you can cycle for miles on it. The whole area is beautiful and worth visiting. But I am not sure if I would go back again to this camp site on a Caravan/Camper van pitch.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: MrsGuy3 3 reviews from this member

What an absolute gem! I found this campsite by pure chance and was well rewarded. We we're able to book at short notice (on the day of arrival). The manager and owners were really lovely. Nothing was too much trouble.

The views from the campsite are stunning across the estuary to Barmouth.

We were pitched on the hard standing electric hook-up pitches, there is also a tent field, B&B, (The Slate Shed) self catering cottages and Yurts

The toilet blocks are clean but basic, there are also 2 brand new showers in a separate block. The site has an honesty shop with foods such as milk, pasta & coffee machine as well as local produce; eggs and bacon.

The site is within easy access to the Mawddach cycle trail which leads to Barmouth or Dolgellau.

We fell in love with the site and the area and will definitely be returning.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Dharmadoo 2 reviews from this member

We spent a lovely weekend here while hiking Cadair Idris. There seemed to be plenty of other things to do in the area but we only had one day and two nights. If we had longer we would have walked along the disused railway line that was below the site or gone to Barmouth for a few hours.

The site was easy to find and directly off the road. In fact the caravan pitches (7 in total I think) all backed onto the road much to my disappointment upon arrival, but the road was luckily not busy. Although the site was clean and well maintained our first impression was not that great as the caravan pitches were so small and close to each other, there was no privacy or personal space at all unless you are lucky enough to get one of the two view pitches. And even then you have everyone else walking past you to sit on the benches and admire the view right outside your caravan. But oh what view, it is awesome. We were one of those people who sat on the benches and watched the swallows sopping overhead and admired the estuary below.

There were two toilets and to showers and both were clean every time I used them. Showers were unisex which was a bit weird but the water was hot and free so I can't complain at all. I imagine in the height of summer this would be quite an issue as there was a sizable field below for tent camping and everyone had to use the same two showers and toilets. There was also a small washing-up area and by the showers there was an area to hang wet clothing to dry. There was a small honesty store too where you could stock up on essentials that you may have forgotten. Nearest town is only a 10 min drive away so it;s not to far to go if you need anything. I can't comment on the town as we didn't go there. There is a really cute campfire area just beyond the caravan pitches which is lit at night by fairy lights strung in the trees. And just beyond that there is a rope swing set up. Down below on the tent field the lambs were all playing together in-between the tents. I think kids and families would really like this site. There is something very magical about it.

We didn't have much interaction with the staff as we simply arrived and set up our caravan. The staff were not overly friendly and welcoming but they were not rude either. A comment was made to us that we drove past reception rather than stopping first, but we explained that this was because we would have blocked the entrance if we had done so and we merely wanted move out of the way.

Would we caravan here again? To be honest no ! But that is just because it is not a great caravan site. Caravans seem to be an after thought here and a way to make some extra cash by cramming in a few pitches. I would use the self catering rooms if I was looking for that kind of accommodation in the area or if I was a young, fit (lots of steep hiking to make it to and fro the tent site) tent camper I would stay here. I have stayed at worse and I have stayed at better but the views here were amazing and so peaceful and relaxing.

Previous     47 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a KAMEI Husky L Roof Box Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally and Camping Weekend 4th to 5th July
HURRY Advanced booking now open - 3 nights camping in any unit, and admission to rally all weekend