Visitor Reviews - Wye Valley Youth Hostel Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > Central > Herefordshire > Site Reviews

Wye Valley Youth Hostel Campsite
Welsh Bicknor
Nr Goodrich
Ross On Wye
Herefordshire   (Browse area)
HR9 6JJ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m  5m   5m  5m

Pitches: Up to 30 people

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a £300 Prize Package including £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Blisters 4 reviews from this member

This is indeed a beautifully-situated campsite on the banks of the River Wye. It is in the grounds of the Welsh Bicknor YHA so one has the advantage of being able to use the facilities of the hostel such as the toilets, showers, self-catering kitchen and small dining area. You can also have a cooked breakfast in the hostel and they will provide a packed lunch, too. In theory one should also be able to use the two lounges but there was a huge family party in when we stayed in September so they did rather take these over.

That’s the good news. The bad news is that the campsite is actually 300 yards down a hill away from a hostel so it’s a long trek up to the facilities. Fortunately they also provide two portaloos at the campsite – not ideal but better than nothing.

There is also a nice open fire area with low-level benches and fencing around. Sensible to stop people lighting their own fires but also an encouragement to large, noisy drinking parties. This happened to our group returned one evening to find one such group enjoying bountiful bottles of alcohol and playing loud music. They would no doubt have been there till the small hours but there is a notice saying that noise must stop at 11. 00 and giving a number to call in the case of unsociable behaviour; We gave up at midnight, called the number and spoke to the duty warden who duly came down and thankfully disbanded the party. In fact the hostel staff were very helpful and pleasant throughout our stay.

Canoeists use the hostel as a stopping off point but canoe hire companies will not deliver canoes to Welsh Bicknor because access with a trailer by road is impossible. In fact the only way to get a canoe to the camping ground by motor is to put a canoe on your car roof. This is because of the challenging access to the hostel and camp site.

Welsh Bicknor YHA (Wye Valley)is at the bottom of a very steep escarpment and the only access is by a half-mile long and very rough narrow drive which has a hazardous stone wall on the uphill side and steep, tree-lined drop the other. Furthermore it has a hairpin bend two-thirds of the way down which you cannot do in one turn – it means backing up in a two point turn to get down to the hostel so there’s no hope of taking a caravan down to the campsite, nor a big campervan.

I was going back to the campsite in the dark one night and had the misfortune to meet two taxis coming uphill. They were about fifty yards up from the hairpin bend. I stopped and walked down to speak to the first driver, a women, and asked if they could back down. She absolutely refused saying “There are two of us and there’s a hairpin bend. We can’t go back down”. I said “But I think there is a bridleway off the hairpin you could back into” but the answer was still no. So I gave in and said I’d back up as long as they didn’t follow me closely as people often do when you have to reverse, which is incredibly pressurising. She agreed so, reluctantly, I went back to my car and started to reverse with my passenger keeping a watch on the stone wall six inches away while I kept an eye on the drop six inches away on the other side. Such fun! Fortunately, a party of people walked by on their way up and a very nice lady volunteered to guide me back since I only had a rather ineffective reversing light to illuminate the ascent in the pitch darkness. We managed about 100 yards of stop-start when the woman taxi driver appeared 50 yards away, looked at us and then walked away again. We assumed that she was fed up with waiting and was coming to check how we were doing.

Anyway, there was a lot more painfully-slow uphill reversing until we got to the only house on the route, which had a narrow lay-by just beyond it.

Then the second taxi appeared driven by a man who stopped and said “Didn’t my colleague tell you that we had backed down to the hairpin?” “No” I replied “She didn’t come anywhere near us or wave us forward. Just looked at us and walked away. So we assumed she’d only come up to check on our progress. Anyway, he phoned his colleague and repeated what I had said. She drove by a couple of minutes later without stopping or acknowledgement - presumably not happy that she had been delayed. Well, with a little more common sense, that could have been avoided!

My advice to anyone coming up or down the drive to the hostel or campsite would be to send a scout ahead to make sure the route is clear otherwise you may also end up with a horrendous experience like mine. Good luck.

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Herefordshire   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth £49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet NEC Motorhome and Caravan Show 17th to 22nd October
See all the new-for 2018 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans – plus 1000s of accessories ...more