Visitor Reviews - Barry Downs Holiday Park

Barry Downs Holiday Park
Barry
Carnoustie
Angus   (Browse area)
DD7 7SA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 07833 981989

1m  1m  1m  5m  1m  1m   5m

Pitches: Statics = 200 Touring = 65

Reviews:  9 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Templogin 3 reviews from this member

I had cycled down from Aberdeen in heavy rain for the best part of the day, stopping every hour for food and drink, and to wring the water out of my socks. The roads were flooded so I was worried about how the site would be fairing. This was my first experience of a campsite that I have had to pay for, so everything was going to be new to me.

The reception was unmanned, so I went to the house and was told to just pick a spot and set up my two man tent. There was hardly anyone else around, and absolutely no tents, and with the rain coming down full pelt I was very tempted to set up the tent in the shower block! I braved the elements though and got the tent up. It was hard work driving in the Alpkit tent pegs and I managed to damage two of them badly.

The shower/toilet block was very clean. Half of the cubicles had been locked for some reason, but with so few people around this wasn't a problem. There was plenty of hot water, but one of the two open toilet cubicles had no toilet paper.

I visited the popular bar for a swift cider. The locals looked a bit wary of the soggy beardy bloke who had appeared in theirs midsts, but I can't blame them for that.

There was nowhere to put my wet clothes to dry, so I changed into dry clothes to sleep in and wore the wet ones the next day, hoping that they would dry out on my body.

I packed up in the rain and went across to reception to pay my fees, expecting it to be £10-£12 maximum. I got quite a shock when I was told that it was £20. If all other campsites were the same as this it was going to be an expensive six-week camping holiday.

All in all a dismal stay, due to the weather, in a very tidy looking campsite.

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Buckland18 1 review from this member

We recently visited the park and it was really nice me and my husband really enjoyed it, the pub on the park was a nice place friendly staff and the residents of the park seemed friendly enough too.

The cafe was good as well recently been taken over and extended and real cheap! also I think the park might have undergone some work to the toilet/shower area because the flooding problem I read about in the other reviews seems to have been resolved.

Me or my husband fail to fault this park apart from the the noises of work being carried out but it was at the other side of the park and we could barley here it!

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Triciauk1970 2 reviews from this member

Just bought our first caravan so we thought we'd go not to far for first outing on arriving here it took us a little while to get into site as it was after 5pm and office was closed we had booked and informed them it would be evening arrival.

Eventually we were shown in and given pitch on first view the place is very tidy and the shower blocks were clean but as in other reviews the showers were very small and tight for showering and changing and were prone to flooding.

The cafe on site is very nice and well priced and the staff are very friendly they informed us that the site wasn't really for people with children as there are no activities or parks on site for the kids and also that the children may only go into the pub until 7pm which for us was not a worry.

We did enjoy the site but did have to travel out with for kid friendly stuff to do and also for dog friendly walks but on a whole the site was very nice, but I would say it is not really family orientated and verges more to the older clientèle

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Val0712 33 reviews from this member

On arrival the lady at reception wasn't very helpful, no change in till, told us we hadn't booked in which we did, were told to choose a pitch but the one's we did want for some reason we weren't allowed! Did not get shown where the toilets, waste disposal, water etc was. Very poor reception skills.

Toilets £5 deposit for each key. They were not as clean as they could've been. Bad drainage & no room in shower to get changed.

A bar is on site, with bingo & a man was singing who was good. The gym & hairdresser was next to the pub.

Small cafe on site we had the breakfast which was very good & very good priced.

The site is fine, there is a bus stop at the campsite entrance. Lots of beautiful holiday homes & everyone was very friendly.

Not sure if we will return to this site.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Elizabethkim 1 review from this member

On arrival staff were really helpful friendly were shown to our pitch and manoeuvred in with ease, and were surprised to find we were allocated with a separate parking bay which was really useful. Toilets are spotless and well maintained as they go in at early hours to clean twice a day. Cafe is really good and friendly also cheap. Breakfast at 2. 50 for 7 items plus coffee and toast really nice people. The club has a great entertainment every week , also bingo and always made us very welcome. All in all a great stay and beaches are immaculate

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Bearsden92 1 review from this member

The site is in a beautiful part of Scotland and the staff were helpful. However, our stay here was disappointing.

As other reviews have mentioned, the toilet block although new is very poorly designed. It is almost impossible to get changed in the cubicle and stay dry. There is inadequate drainage and the floor of the toilets was always flooded.

We also found several instances when there was no toilet roll - not a great feature when you are travelling with children! In addition, the toilet block had no ventilation - no extractor fan and no windows that could be opened, not pleasant!

There is a construction site immediately over the fence from the tent area which was very noisy at points during the day. One morning we were wakened at 7am by the sound of a JCB!

A plus point for the site was a small on-site cafe.

We will not be returning!

Previous     9 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Angus   -   Search for a site

Win a BUZZ RACK Buffalo 4 Bike Tilting Carrier Win a HandiMoova Off-road Foldable Hand Trolley

UKCS Meet Benington Chilli Festival, Hertfordshire 29 – 31st August
Celebrate all things chilli in the hidden gem of a garden at historic Benington Lordship.