Visitor Reviews - Hafod Y Llan National Trust Site

Nantgwynant
Beddgelert
Caernarfon
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL55 4NQ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel:

1m  10m  5m  5m   10m  1m  5m

Open: 29th March To 3rd November

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Broic 12 reviews from this member

Reluctant to leave a review as I think this place is a well kept secret!

Located near Bedgellert (10min drive) and at the foot of the Watkins Path up Snowdon. The campsite itself is a short drive from the main road (ideal as you cant hear any cars). The campsite itself is a slight incline, located beside a river. It is a bit bumpy, but there are a few flatter spaces available.

Plenty of fire pits with logs as seats surrounding them. The wood is available on the campsite and it £7 per night (a little bit expensive but does include the fire pit).

It is a basic campsite with only toilets and showers (x2 women, x1 men). Although there is no warden on the site, the toilets are spotless clean! There is a tumble dryer and small area with maps of the local area etc.

We met the warden a couple of times over the week. She is so friendly and approachable, and made sure everyone was enjoying their stay. It is apparent that this is a national trust site rather than a private site - nobody chasing you for money as soon as you arrive! Its an honesty policy, pay in the envelopes provided. £7 per person per night - bargain!

Dogs are supposed to be kept on leads but unfortunately most people do not abide by this! Sheep wander around the site in the mornings, so be careful of some droppings!

Probably the best campsite we have visited!

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lagorio 2 reviews from this member

I decided to stay at this campsite based on the reviews I'd read and an average rating of 9 out of 10 and all I can say is - those who have given such high ratings must not have stayed in any other campsite before.

I feel I'm being generous giving it 5 out of 10.

There is not a single square metre of flat ground to pitch your tent and the grass was at least 7 inches long. The ground was stony and I had difficulty getting my tent pegs all the way in.

The site was near a river which was nice but we were absolutely plagued by midges which were absolutely unbearable. While I acknowledge this is no fault of the campsite operators, I would seriously advise that if you really want to visit - do so outside of midge season if midges are drawn to you like they are to me.

The water had to be boiled before you could drink it. I didn't know there were still places like that other than third world countries.

Before pitching the tent we paid using the honesty box, and subsequently decided that we would like our money back for one day but there was no one in the office or house nor a contact number to call so we ended up having to leave a days worth of money behind.

The reason I have at least awarded some stars is because the setting was very picturesque and the area was tranquil and unspoilt. The remote location almost guarantees peace and quiet. Conversely there were no nearby shops or a local pub.

The price at £7 per person is very reasonable. The toilets were basic but they were clean and tidy which is always a big plus.

I would not visit again as this campsite is severely lacking when compared to almost every other campsite I've stayed in in the Peak District, Lake District, Cairngorms etc.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Odin883 5 reviews from this member

Turned up here one evening after reading some positive reviews and wanting to use it as a base for walking.

Payment is an 'honesty box' system so we left our money and carried our gear over the field. First problem was there was almost no flat areas, everything was sloped, some areas more so than others. This is ok for some but I prefer somewhere level. There is no fresh drinking water - everything has to be boiled first. I have never stayed anywhere in the UK that didn't have fresh water freely available. The ground was unbelievably stony, I couldn't get a single peg more than 5cm into the ground.

Didn't use the toilets / showers so can't comment.

Having pitched the tents we were beset with midges. This is clearly no fault of the site but it was too much for us and we left after 20 minutes and camped elsewhere.

Because of the 'honesty box' we couldn't get our money back, there was no one in the office and no number to call. Returned the next day and still couldn't find anyone.

On the plus side, the area is lovely, very peaceful and tranquil and the views are great. I'm no 'glamper' but in my view this is only a small step above wild camping and I wouldn't return.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Avidpsyche 5 reviews from this member

First and foremost, this is one beautiful site. Back to basics, just the toilets and showers, but the view is spellbinding. The site is flanked by a babbling river which was just perfect for the few hot days we were there. Numerous fire pits dotted around the place with logs in place for seats so pretty much well catered for. Firewood is £7 a night and you can take as much as you want. This campsite also joins the Watkins Trail. A great trek to follow but a hard slog as it's one of the harder routes but spectacular all the same. As I said it's a basic site, I loved the place but just a couple of gripes. First the showers aren't that effective. You get 5 minutes for 50p. Once you pop the coin it takes a lot of fiddling with the temp dial to get the right hot/cold mix. GO PREPARED with plenty of coins. Second, we went for the easter weekend, from Wednesday to Easter Sunday, and it was heaving. As a National trust site it's a popular location for families and especially school trips. So if you're looking for the quiet, serene place don't go on school half terms. Still a wonderful place. Would definitely stay again.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Llwyd 3 reviews from this member

A lovely small site with mountain views. The Watkins Snowdon path starts here ( one of the more difficult routes)We only walked an hour or so, beautiful views and waterfalls.

Two camp fields, one sheltered with trees, the other by the river. Well drained, flat, grassy but stony for pegs. Great fire pits, and wood that burns well! Sheep wonder into fields. Pitch size good, at 15 metres.

Facilities fair-good. No heating in shower/ toilet block. Drinking water has to be boiled. No staff in sight, follow instructions to pay, and put money in envelope. No mobile phone reception. Nearest shops Bedgelert.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Musikate 2 reviews from this member

We loved this campsite. The location is idylic and everything you could want in a back to basics site.

The fire pits scattered over the site are fantastic with log benches and recycled hub caps for the fire pit itself.

We loved the fact there was no shop or facilities other than toilets and showers.

The friendly warden was happy to give advice about routes up Snowdon and other nearby sites. All in all a gem of a site.

Previous     28 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers