Visitor Reviews - Hafod Y Llan National Trust Site

Nantgwynant
Beddgelert
Caernarfon
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL55 4NQ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel:

1m  10m  5m  5m   10m  1m  5m

Open: 29th March To 3rd November

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes

Reviews:  24 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Llwyd 3 reviews from this member

A lovely small site with mountain views. The Watkins Snowdon path starts here ( one of the more difficult routes)We only walked an hour or so, beautiful views and waterfalls.

Two camp fields, one sheltered with trees, the other by the river. Well drained, flat, grassy but stony for pegs. Great fire pits, and wood that burns well! Sheep wonder into fields. Pitch size good, at 15 metres.

Facilities fair-good. No heating in shower/ toilet block. Drinking water has to be boiled. No staff in sight, follow instructions to pay, and put money in envelope. No mobile phone reception. Nearest shops Bedgelert.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Musikate 2 reviews from this member

We loved this campsite. The location is idylic and everything you could want in a back to basics site.

The fire pits scattered over the site are fantastic with log benches and recycled hub caps for the fire pit itself.

We loved the fact there was no shop or facilities other than toilets and showers.

The friendly warden was happy to give advice about routes up Snowdon and other nearby sites. All in all a gem of a site.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Martin131166 10 reviews from this member

3rd time on this site for me and my lads, aged 14 and 12, midges were bad this time, stayed for 3 nights and didn't see the warden once, saying that no problems at all on the site, very quiet, as mentioned it could do with a facility for freezing ice blocks.

No shops near enough to just nip to, the cafe at the entrance was nice but very expensive.

Still no mobile phone signal on site, but at least there's one in beddgelert now, used to have to go to llanberris

19. 50 for a night for 1adult, 2children and a campfire that is cheap compared to other sites in the area.

We will go back, again.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: TEFKAS 19 reviews from this member

Stayed here for Jubilee weekend. Went here as we did not have a booking. Booking in is simple: fill in the form and a tag, put the money in the envelope and post it in the box. Put the tag on a guy on your tent. Job done. Facilities are basic but clean. One shower each for M/F and 50p a go.

Usefully there is a drier in the booking in shelter - this is Snowdonia after all.

We came here for the walks. The scenery is dramatic and the surrounding area is full of interesting features. The kids loved playing in the stream - crystal clear and freezing water straight off Snowdon. Made me remember building dams when I was their age.

The upper lumpy field was full so we went in the lower field which had been occupied until recently by sheep - took us a while to clear a space. The ground is flat and firm without rocks. We were not bothered about a camp-fire so we didn't try to pitch near one. The facility to have one is great and there is a plentiful supply of dry wood. Presumably this is to stop people foraging and damaging the country side.

Cars are prohibited in the camping field, which is OK for me. You have to carry all your kit to your pitch. Glampers beware. However, since there is no EHU here, I suspect that this is off the Glamping radar.

We had an excellent first day / afternoon. A great walk and satisfying BBQ followed by a brief share of a camp fire and a chat with our neighbours and then an early night. We were woken up in the wee hours by heavy rain which persisted until we packed up the following day. At times the rain was horizontal which made the pack up interesting.

Rain is obvious hazard for a site in this region and allowances should be made accordingly.

The only negative was the midges. They were not in clouds like you get in Scotland. They were all low down and in the grass, and on my legs according to all the little red marks which itched for days. Don't forget your DEET!

Midges aside I would go back here.

Date of Visit: October 2011 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Campsiteranger 2 reviews from this member

I promised that I would leave word on here if I was not likely to be the Site Ranger for 2012. It seems that even after a record breaking season I am to be replaced by a new face. Perhaps in the interests of customer satisfaction I crossed swords too many times with the powers that be.

Now then to my review of Hafod y Llan Campsite.

Having been site warden/ ranger for the last 2 seasons I can honestly say that it is a superb campsite. If, as others have mentioned, you are after basic facilities, in beautiful surroundings next to a mountain stream and at the foot of Snowdon you couldn't find better.

I recommend that you do not go on a bank holiday weekend as the carpark soon fills up and this is what limits the site's capacity.

Be prepared with your midge repellent (Smidge can be bought from the cafe at the end of the road), and also bare in mind that you are visiting a working farm so dogs barking, a muddy drive and lots of sheep (and associated mess) are to be expected.

The campfires are a bonus, a great way to make new friends by sharing a glass of your fave tipple discussing your adventures of the day.

The farm staff are largely friendly and will happily talk about what the National Trust are working on with the farm.

Cafe Gwynant, turning right at the end of the drive do a belting breaky and normally close around 5. 00pm. For evening meals I recommend Lyns Cafe in Beddgelert, good food without getting ripped off.

All in all providing you do not expect an all singing all dancing site with knobs on you really will have a fantastic stay a Hafod y Llan Campsite, I just wish I was there to greet you. Ahh well maybe it is time to move on!

Kindest regards to all those campers I am proud to call friends. Your support over the past 2 seasons I have been ranger has meant the world to me and Ann and for that I sincerely thank you. Hopefully we will meet again. Some of these can be seen in the previous reviews for 2010 and 2011.

Ian & Ann x

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Shazgill 1 review from this member

Stayed twice this summer. Once with husband and kids. Enjoyed it so much returned 4 weeks later with friend, 5 kids and a dog.

Fantastic site if your looking for back to basics camping and knowing that you will get peace and quiet in the evenings round the campfire. Not for you if your looking for something going on at the site as no playgound, clubhouse etc. This is mainly a walkers kind of site. Ian and Ann look after the site and they are wonderful. Think that makes a difference as it makes everyone feel at home. They told us about the area and recommended walks etc. Only cold water for washing but lovely clean showers and loos. Don't forget your 50p's. The stream running next to the site is beautiful but beware. You will get bitten a bit. Can't wait to return next year, just hope to get a campfire as you can't book in advance.

Previous     24 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!