Visitor Reviews - Hafod Y Llan National Trust Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Wales > Gwynedd > Site Reviews

Hafod Y Llan National Trust Site
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL55 4NQ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  10m  5m  5m   10m  1m  5m

Open: 3rd April 2015

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes

Reviews:  30 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gemando 1 review from this member

We stayed here over the bank holiday weekend. Really lovely little campsite, relatively quiet despite the bank holiday.

Easy access up Snowdon on the Watkin Path which starts near the campsite.

Hot showers (free, although don't forget to press the button for hot water!)

Fire pits with log/wood seating (7 per night/fire for the wood, fires allowed after 6pm)

Quiet. As there's only a small car park and two smallish fields it didn't get too busy. After the bank holiday there was only us and one other group staying.

Cheap! Definitely good value for money as although it's relatively basic nothing more is really needed on the site and the prices of the other campsites in the area are a lot higher.

No set arrival/departures times.

Have to boil water before drinking it (for a minute according to google). I'd recommend taking a few large bottles of drinking water.

Not really a major thing but I couldn't see any recycling bins (unless I just missed them).

Midges! There were quite a lot. The smoke from the fire pit helped, as did a lot of midge spray (avon skin so soft) and tucking trousers into socks etc. I suspect midges would be an issue whichever campsite you stay at however. This one has a stream running next to the field which might be part of the problem but we found they were worst in the morning if it rained overnight.

Only cold water from the bathroom and washing up taps.

Only 2 showers and 2 toilets but I never had an issue with waiting for either.

No on site shop selling milk etc. Nearest village is 4 miles away.

Really the only main downside was the midges but I doubt that's an issue unique to Hafod y llan!

Payment is via envelopes in a post box so make sure you have the correct amount.

The majority of the site is sloping.

Only saw the (lovely!) warden once when she came to say hello. Toilets etc were kept very clean so no complaints there. I'm not sure how much the warden was around on site but it was never an issue, just something to bear in mind if you prefer a site staff presence.

Nearest village is Beddgelert (4 miles west of the site) which has a few souvenir and craft shops, at least 3 pubs, cafes, a small national trust shop and a post office/convenience store selling a good range of food which isn't unreasonably priced. There are footpaths running along the valley so you could walk to it. We walked along the road and it took us a bit over an hour at a reasonable pace. There's buses running from Beddgelert to the campsite (and presumably in the other direction) but there aren't loads especially on a sunday. Cost 2. 30 each if I remember correctly from Beddgelert to the campsite.

Sygun copper mine is on the way to Beddgelert which has a self guided audio tour.

There's a cafe and post box on the main road near the entrance to the campsite. We didn't go in the cafe so don't know what it was like.

About 20 minutes away is the village of Betws-y-coed which has a number of shops selling walking and camping gear etc, e. G. Cotswolds, trespass.

A number of attractions are in Llanberis, which is the town from which the train goes up Snowdon on the opposite side to the campsite. There's a miniature railway, the national slate mining museum, electric mountain (worth a visit to see where our power comes from when we all turn the kettle on at the same time but you need to book tours in advance; we went in about 10am and the next available tour was at 1pm) etc. There's a couple of car parks as you drive in with all day parking for 5 or 7.

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: SuzanneA 1 review from this member

A stunning campsite in a great location at the foot of Snowdon and with direct access to the Watkin path. Very clean toilets and showers, although only 2 for each gender could be an issue at busier times. Pitches wellspaced and with fire pits and plenty of wood at 7 per night. The warden calls in daily to collect fees, which you post in the honesty box, to clean and check all is well. Beautiful river and waterfalls, but you will need anti-midge spray!

The only disadvantage to this site is the unexpected arrival of large D of E groups - most were fine, but we had one night with some inconsiderate gold award teams (which means they are left to themselves with no teachers/leaders) who set themselves up almost on top of us and left litter all over the place for the lovely warden to pick up. We moved our tent and did then get a half-hearted apology from the teacher that called in to see they had all arrived - I would not have given them their award for such rudeness!

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Broic 16 reviews from this member

Reluctant to leave a review as I think this place is a well kept secret!

Located near Bedgellert (10min drive) and at the foot of the Watkins Path up Snowdon. The campsite itself is a short drive from the main road (ideal as you cant hear any cars). The campsite itself is a slight incline, located beside a river. It is a bit bumpy, but there are a few flatter spaces available.

Plenty of fire pits with logs as seats surrounding them. The wood is available on the campsite and it 7 per night (a little bit expensive but does include the fire pit).

It is a basic campsite with only toilets and showers (x2 women, x1 men). Although there is no warden on the site, the toilets are spotless clean! There is a tumble dryer and small area with maps of the local area etc.

We met the warden a couple of times over the week. She is so friendly and approachable, and made sure everyone was enjoying their stay. It is apparent that this is a national trust site rather than a private site - nobody chasing you for money as soon as you arrive! Its an honesty policy, pay in the envelopes provided. 7 per person per night - bargain!

Dogs are supposed to be kept on leads but unfortunately most people do not abide by this! Sheep wander around the site in the mornings, so be careful of some droppings!

Probably the best campsite we have visited!

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Lagorio 2 reviews from this member

I decided to stay at this campsite based on the reviews I'd read and an average rating of 9 out of 10 and all I can say is - those who have given such high ratings must not have stayed in any other campsite before.

I feel I'm being generous giving it 5 out of 10.

There is not a single square metre of flat ground to pitch your tent and the grass was at least 7 inches long. The ground was stony and I had difficulty getting my tent pegs all the way in.

The site was near a river which was nice but we were absolutely plagued by midges which were absolutely unbearable. While I acknowledge this is no fault of the campsite operators, I would seriously advise that if you really want to visit - do so outside of midge season if midges are drawn to you like they are to me.

The water had to be boiled before you could drink it. I didn't know there were still places like that other than third world countries.

Before pitching the tent we paid using the honesty box, and subsequently decided that we would like our money back for one day but there was no one in the office or house nor a contact number to call so we ended up having to leave a days worth of money behind.

The reason I have at least awarded some stars is because the setting was very picturesque and the area was tranquil and unspoilt. The remote location almost guarantees peace and quiet. Conversely there were no nearby shops or a local pub.

The price at 7 per person is very reasonable. The toilets were basic but they were clean and tidy which is always a big plus.

I would not visit again as this campsite is severely lacking when compared to almost every other campsite I've stayed in in the Peak District, Lake District, Cairngorms etc.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Odin883 5 reviews from this member

Turned up here one evening after reading some positive reviews and wanting to use it as a base for walking.

Payment is an 'honesty box' system so we left our money and carried our gear over the field. First problem was there was almost no flat areas, everything was sloped, some areas more so than others. This is ok for some but I prefer somewhere level. There is no fresh drinking water - everything has to be boiled first. I have never stayed anywhere in the UK that didn't have fresh water freely available. The ground was unbelievably stony, I couldn't get a single peg more than 5cm into the ground.

Didn't use the toilets / showers so can't comment.

Having pitched the tents we were beset with midges. This is clearly no fault of the site but it was too much for us and we left after 20 minutes and camped elsewhere.

Because of the 'honesty box' we couldn't get our money back, there was no one in the office and no number to call. Returned the next day and still couldn't find anyone.

On the plus side, the area is lovely, very peaceful and tranquil and the views are great. I'm no 'glamper' but in my view this is only a small step above wild camping and I wouldn't return.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Avidpsyche 5 reviews from this member

First and foremost, this is one beautiful site. Back to basics, just the toilets and showers, but the view is spellbinding. The site is flanked by a babbling river which was just perfect for the few hot days we were there. Numerous fire pits dotted around the place with logs in place for seats so pretty much well catered for. Firewood is 7 a night and you can take as much as you want. This campsite also joins the Watkins Trail. A great trek to follow but a hard slog as it's one of the harder routes but spectacular all the same. As I said it's a basic site, I loved the place but just a couple of gripes. First the showers aren't that effective. You get 5 minutes for 50p. Once you pop the coin it takes a lot of fiddling with the temp dial to get the right hot/cold mix. GO PREPARED with plenty of coins. Second, we went for the easter weekend, from Wednesday to Easter Sunday, and it was heaving. As a National trust site it's a popular location for families and especially school trips. So if you're looking for the quiet, serene place don't go on school half terms. Still a wonderful place. Would definitely stay again.

Previous     30 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win 100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win 100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win 100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a Champion 3100 Watt Inverter Petrol Generator Win a Win a One Week Stay at Vauxhall Holiday Park!

UKCS Meet Motorhome & Caravan Show 13 18 October
Occupying eleven huge halls of the NEC, it is guaranteed to be an unmissable event. Win tickets!