Visitor Reviews - Coed Helen Holiday Park

Coed Helen
Menai Strait
Caernarfon
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL54 5RS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m   5m  1m  1m  5m  5m  1m   5m  5m  5m

Open: Mid March Until 31st October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  14 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin your choice of a £200 Walkers Camping Kit and Tent or £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Massa 11 reviews from this member

Although this site is only a 45 mins drive from home we come here a couple of times every year as it is convenient to the town and ideal for a short break if you don't feel like driving very far. the site is well maintained but the toilet block could do with updating. one thing that scares me is the siting of a convector heater right below the hand drier in the gents toilets so I take a towel with me to dry my hands. All in all a nice site which I would recommend.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: George-Mildred 3 reviews from this member

We have returned from a long bank holiday weekend at Coed Helen. We chose this site as friends have a static on site. I believe that since other reviews from last year, the site has been taken over by a new company. Tents/tourers are apparently not allowed access to the pool now - only static guests, which seems a little unfair considering the PPN. There is a field at the end for ball games etc. Away from your unit, which we liked. That said it was quiet both day and night (no road noise at night) a great location for walking into town of an evening, as long as you are back before 11pm when the foot bridge by the castle closes, then it is a long walk or a taxi ride back. In all fairness the only negative is the shower block still needs a revamp, it was clean and tidy though. Pot washing was outside round the back of shower block, but partly undercover. Didn't use the restaurant, but used by the locals so presume must be good, checked menu it seemed reasonably priced. Would we go back - yes due to its location for town/mountains.

Date of Visit: September 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Belle 18 reviews from this member

This was our second visit this year the first being April, how it had changed the warden was not the same person as our first visit he was so helpful and never left the site always busy keeping it neat and tidy. We saw the new warden maybe once or twice there was nobody there to direct us to our pitch so we just chose our own, you have to walk through the statistics to get to reception and leave £5 deposit for the toilets key which are in need of a revamp the showers are small and the water runs cold in the middle of a shower the rail for the shower curtain was rusty

There is a nice walk into Caernarfon just 5 minutes down the hill I doubt very much we will return

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Trewsie 2 reviews from this member

Just returned from a six night stay with my family, in a tenting and touring caravan group. The site had a large static contingent, an American style diner restaurant, a child's play area and an outdoor heated pool. This is a large site, predominated by statics and with one field for campers, tourers and seasonal. My sister chose this site for the child friendly facilities. The campsite has a very relaxed feel: not much direction when pitching up so we were able to pitch as a family group. Lovely walk into Caernarfon and beautiful mountain range views.

The shower and toilet block for camping and touring was not as I would've liked it; the showers were very oddly constructed raised boxes, stud walls and, as a result, rather small for ladies topping 5' and not brilliantly clean, I'm afraid. They seemed in need of a redesign and a freshen up: tiled, with a drain and a shower squeegee, not a mop and bucket!

It was rather noisy at night, as mentioned by a previous reviewer. We had a nice enough week but if I'm honest, it wasn't my kind of site (I prefer smaller, no statics etc) but would definitely appeal to families.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Smoggydunc 7 reviews from this member

There is no doubt this site is beautifully kept- grass is cut every day, litter picked up, toilets clean, showers hot and the pool fantastic- the warden simply never stops working. Anyone with young children wanting to use the site as a base to explore the countryside and local attractions will love this site- rather expensive at £27 a night for a very basic tent but I suppose if you want the niceties of camping you have to accept that you need to pay for them. The location is perfect- lovely walks to Caernafron and along the Menai Strait and also lovely sunsets. Tesco Extra is just down the road for any essentials and also Paddy’s Bar and the shop are a nice addition - the pool is also superb. However in my humble opinion there is a downside, if you just want to just sit and relax and unwind near your tent you will struggle to come to terms with the noise. There is simply too much going on especially with so many caravans and tents in one small field. It maybe just my age but I just wanted to relax and enjoy the scenery but I soon realised that could never happen. Dont get me wrong it is a lovely site but simply not for me. So to conclude if you want a site with everything you need and beautifully kept and to use as a base for exploring North Wales then this is definitely the site for you- however if you want to sit and relax, sun bathe, enjoy the scenery, sit outside your tent having a BBQ after 10. 00pm and sleep past 7am then this site is definitely not for you.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Suzi1971 10 reviews from this member

Come back early from our booked stay on the site for a few reasons.

Firstly the location is great to access Carnarfon which is why I chose it so that is a positive. However our impressions of the site itself are not so good. On arrival we went to the touring field as directed on our instructions but no one their to greet/welcome us. Eventually someone called down from one of the big statics to say warden was out for the day and just pitch anywhere. So we selected a pitch which was level and since we weren't using the awning, we pitched centrally in between the white posts. No other pitch markers. Then went to use the toilets to find them locked (only the ladies - the men's were unlocked). So went to the main reception for statics to be told it was £5 deposit for one key to toilets/showers and that warden had all our paperwork but he was out for day and just pitch anywhere. We had walk into town and then kids wanted to try the heated pool. It was, they said, nice and warm but small. The warden returned but didn't come over to introduce himself at any point. The next day my husband said to to him did we need anything from him and he said no if we had a key that was all. He did tell us to take down our airer as the site rules said we couldn't have it and site was going to be busy later. The airer was well within our pitch and other units had them up or lines tied to trees or massive awnings! Later that day the site got very busy with lots of arrivals for a charity fun day happening over the weekend which I was unaware of at the time of booking. The play field had been cordoned off to be used as a car park. Two tents pitched either side of us with their guide ropes into our pitch and we felt extremely hemmed in and uncomfortable. There was no way we could have comfortably sat outside our Motorhome. The wifi was not working - a fault that the lady at reception hadn't any idea when would be repaired. There were tractors coming and going all the time with the site feeling like a building site. Strimmers being used constantly and power tools on the static homes. The main reception building was being repaired or altered. The toilet and shower facilities are tired although generally clean. The dish washing is round the back and just two sinks with nowhere to put food waste.

With so many more arrivals so close to us I just didn't feel happy continuing our stay and although the warden did say as we were leaving, that we could move to a different pitch, we'd already decided that this was not going to be a peaceful relaxing end to our tour of Wales. It was the most expensive of our three sites at £27 a night for family of four and was not, in my opinion, worth it. Location is good but that's about it.

Previous     14 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win a KAMEI Husky L Roof Box worth £225! Win a Coolbox Cool ‘n’ Store Package worth over £235!

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 1 - 2 July