Visitor Reviews - Kinnego Marina Caravan & Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Northern Ireland > N Ireland > Site Reviews

Kinnego Marina Caravan & Camping Park
Oxford Island
Lurgan
Co Armagh
N Ireland   (Browse area)
BT66 6NJ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 028 3832 7573

1m  5m  1m   1m  1m  1m  5m

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  11 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a £300 Prize Package including £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: NIAndy 1 review from this member

Just home from Kinnego Marina and thought I'd put up a first review. Have to say, bar the flies we have enjoyed every moment of it.

As a parent of someone that has a physical disability I have to say that it is fully accessible. Disabled facilities are accessible via Radar key.

Check in is at 13:00 and check out is at 12:00. Gates to the site close at 21:00 but you are given a key in return for a £10 deposit. This also has the key to the shower block.

There is two areas for tents, one with electric hook up and one without. The site with electric would comfortably take 4 large tents, the other will take 6-8.

Play park is also accessible and not that far from the tent pitches. We were able to call our two from the tent to return.

There is a forest walk nearby and of course the marina itself if you are into any watersports( although I think you need to register these with the office).

There is wifi but it is only good around the reception block for phones and tablets (but hey, your camping, who needs wifi??! )

As mentioned in some other reviews I have read, there is a Chinese, Friar Tucks, and off license 10 minutes drive away. As is the town of Lurgan.

There is a cafe on site which opens 09:30-17:00 and you get a one off discount voucher for 10%.

Outside the reception block are picnic tables that will take disposable BBQs there is also a large fire pit that I suppose you could lite if feeling adventurous. There are also Glamping pods if you wanted to be a little more up-market.

As mentioned, bar the flies, it's a clean site.

Dogs are welcomed also. Just keep them on a lead.

So mostly positive.

However negatives would be the flies! (getting a theme here). The amenity block could do with some updating I suppose but for the price of £16 a night you can't expect the Hilton. It is based on price per adult, not the size of the tent. I would advise that you get there as close to check in so that you get a good choice.

Staff are really friendly and helpful. In fact we found that the nearby town of Lurgan was friendly also.

Date of Visit: May 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: TravellinPam 7 reviews from this member

A well run site now with friendly staff and 24 hour security. There are approximately 12 hardstanding grass covered pitches for motorhomes and caravans with EHU and water, 2 areas for tents and what looks like an overspill area of hardstanding only, for more motorhomes or caravans. I wouldn't have liked to have been in this latter part as it looks like just a bit of the car park. The site is owned by the local council and there are plans to expand as it is becoming very popular. There are three camping pods. Access is very easy less than 5 minutes from the M1 motorway and good wide entrance. In the past reviewers mentioned problems with noise, but now there is a warden who stays until 9 o'clock, and then a security firm take over and patrol the area until 8 the following morning. It was very quiet when we stayed with the exception of a birthday party that was going on in one of the Pods. The music wasn't terribly loud though and stopped about 11. I think the security man 'had a word'. The external gate is locked at 9 stopping access to the whole of Kinnego and you have a key for this. There are also internal height limit gates at the entrance to the camping and marina which you are not given a key for so I don't know why they bother giving you a key for the external gate, you could only get out if you had a car and tent say or if you left your caravan behind. For emergencies (in a motorhome!) you are given the security mans number.

Being right on the shores of lough neagh there are lots of walks leaving right from the site. There is a boat slipway (£5 per launch and retrieve) for boats and if you bring your boat you get to put it in the marina on site for free during your stay in the campsite. There are seasonal boat trips to Coney Island, and there is also fishing, a good children's play/fun area, and a kids sailing scheme operates at times during the summer. They also run Bushcraft days, archery etc. At times. Within the complex there is a cafe, and we were given a discount voucher for it although we didn't try it. You are given a key for the toilets, showers and washing up areas. There is a laundry room with machines and tumble driers. The older facilities building could do with a bit of a refurb and I believe this is on the cards soon. The site is dog friendly with lots of places to walk. Some areas are lead only. Ours get a run in a big wildflower meadow with beehives in which is usually empty and only a minutes walk from the site. Quite a lot of people come here just for the day to picnic or launch boats, walk dogs or use the play park so on a sunny weekend it can seem a bit busy and kids can cycle through the camping area if they want. It was never a favourite site of ours due to the lack of control and security but I think that has now been addressed. The council and staff seem keen to make the camping park a nice place to come and stay and I think they are succeeding.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Maggie17 1 review from this member

First time camping and we chose here.

When we checked in the boy wasn't very helpful. Just pointed to an area and said over there. Gave me the keys and didn't tell me what they where for. Fortunately another employee took me over and explained where I was going to find that I was actually EUH and the younger boy had told me the wrong place!

So we pitched up and had lovely scenery views of the lough and park-areas looked clean and tidy. Tent area wasn't very busy and all was well. Until nightfall and the wardens had gone home.

First its worth noting that they have huge floodlights that point out onto the tent areas. Not good when trying to get your kids to sleep let alone yourself. Also because of this you will be attacked by all the flys on the way to the shower rooms.

They also let tents of young people stay. This isnt a problem in my eyes until the drinking starts and the music?, singing?, and loud shouting voices start. This in turn leads to them using the bathroom continuously through the night banging the doors each time. Which is very loud in the middle of the night!

There's a cafe on site which you get a 10% discount voucher for your stay. Food was good and well priced. There's a petrol station, chinese takeaway, winemark and a fryers tuck a 5 minute drive away.

All in all it was nice to stay and I wouldn't cross it off my list but don't think I could stay more then three nights and maybe not at a weekend.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Feezee 6 reviews from this member

We stayed here for 3 nights with an 8 year old boy, whilst visiting relatives. For this length of time it was perfect.

The signs for the Marina are not very obvious and could easily be missed from the main road.

The pitches are laid out at an angle, and there is uneven ground in between, which makes reversing into your pitch a little difficult. Fortunately there were friendly campers who helped us. Once on the pitch, they are flat and easy to put up awnings etc.

The site is clean and tidy. The site is council run, next to the marina. So there are 'public' toilets and 'campers toilets' that are locked. The public toilets were clean during our stay. The campers toilets/showers are clean and tidy, if a little worn. Unfortunately, after dark there are large security lights attached to the toilet block walls that have thousands of insects/midges around them, so you are likely to be bitten. During the day, you can see the lights and nearby walls covered with dead insects. Not great.

As a council site, it is regularly maintained. A water tap near our pitch broke while we were there and it was fixed within a day.

The little marina shop is useful for sweets, and the café is fine. There's a little boat trip but no other water sports available unless you have a boat moored there already.

The play park is a good size (the local playgroup came to use it regularly while we were there).

The marina area is great for kids to cycle around, and is reasonably secure.

There are some good cycle paths and walks around the lake, and there are a couple of water related businesses near the lake (I bought a wetsuit at one at a reasonable price).

If you like lots to do, you will need to go further afield (Oxford Island, Craigavon water sports lake).

For a few days stay we thought it was fine, and if we take our caravan that way again to visit relatives, then we would use it again.

Date of Visit: October 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Lady Darcy 3 reviews from this member

Just home from another great weekend at Kinnego Marina. This is a little gem of a site there are 10 pitches all with hook up and very well kept. Facilities they are very clean and warm. There is also a cafe on the site which is so handy and there food is good

I have been to this site a few times this year and am never disappointed, there are lovely walks all around you and if you enjoy wildlife there is plenty to be seen, as I found out when I left my dogs food in the awning lol.

There is a cycle trail and the Discovery centre and gift shop, there is also has a lovely cafe at the discovery centre which I think is good value for money. And have been told there are water sports to do there are plenty off shops in the towns near by. And must not forget the staff who are very friendly and helpful

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Eddtheduck 4 reviews from this member

We visited here with the 2 kids and it was excellent. Its only a small site with 10 caravan pitches with electric hookup. The site is laid out in a circle with grass banks between pitches. Only issue I could see was that not all pitches were suitable for an awning, so if you want to use an awning arrive early to get the best pitches. Toilets and showers were spotless and the staff very pleasant. There is a Cafe on site with excellent food. Boat trips, canoe hire etc and loads of walks are all available on site. There is a large shopping area close by consisting of petrol station, spar, 4 restaurants, fishing tackle shop, off licence etc for all your supplies. Will be back.

Previous     11 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in N Ireland   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth £49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018
Advanced booking discount plus we have 15 pairs of tickets to give away ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

24 Daily Prizes worth up to £120 and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth £500!
Open Today's Window