Visitor Reviews - Stonehaugh Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > Northumberland > Site Reviews

Stonehaugh Campsite
The Old Farmhouse
Stonehaugh
Hexham
Northumberland   (Browse area)
NE48 3BU   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

10m  1m  10m 10m   10m

Open: March To September

Reviews:  9 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Reviewer: Tony hardy 1 review from this member

Just come back and me and my son loved it. We went for two nights and done a lot of walking. My son loved climbing up and down the hill's. He loved the park nearby. The toilets were very clean. Wish I took cream cos when I got back home I was coved in bite marks on my legs. Only downside was the pub wasn't open, would have been nice to have something nice and warm to eat but that's my fault for not bringing anything warm. There are lots of place's to have your picnics on the walks. The staff were nice, they set you up and leave you to get on with what you want to do. We are definitely going back again.

Reviewer: DreamCatcher8 2 reviews from this member

GOOD POINT'S :- clean on site, grass well-maintained, bin point's around for your rubbish, price to stay is not to bad either.

BAD POINT'S :- solar panelled shower block which I found the water to be either far to cold or far to hot ( not suuitable for children in my eye's as me and my 4yr old son got burnt in the shower though this) I know they also have a bath room, but I also found that room to be cold and took a long time to fill up, I also thought at time's the ladies shower's were not cleaned properly on the bottom's and last but not least I got the impression (for all it states dog friendly) that the warden's (more so the man owner) arent too keen on dog's.

VILLAGE :- found the local villager's at the saloon social club (which is just a 2min walk from the campsite which do a lovely breakfast on a Sat-Sun morning, ) more friendly and warm welcoming then the owner's of the campsite it's self.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sjpkgp 4 reviews from this member

We visited the last night of the season. Campsite very quiet and field very wet after recent weather. Camping field was tidy, flat, with litter bins and benches. Price was 8pppn with 2 deposit for key. Showers and toilets were clean.

Campsite is quite remote (no pubs or shops in small village) and near some lovely scenery, near a river so imagine that summer might see some midges, but none on our trip. Probably not the campsite for families wanting lots of entertainment or local facilities/eating places, but great for walkers/ cyclists /outdoorsy sorts or people who want to get away from it all. It rained through the night and we got the car off the now very wet field but it was a bit touch and go. Owners helpful and friendly and told us about the village social club (which is open Thu-Sun from 7. 30).

Social club was good - a newly built building at the top of the campsite track, we went in about 10pm, and there were about 8 or so local people in, all who were very friendly and we chatted with most of them. Great chap behind the bar, who showed us some walks and talked to us about the area. Had table football and pool table and a bar (a few draft beers and well stocked fridge - reasonable prices - also a good range of snacks and sweets). Social club also does breakfast for 5 on Sat am from 9am, which looked like a monster plenty of everything type, plus bacon butties etc. For 2. BBQ allowed but on concrete slab (got one from site).

In summary, quiet remote site for self sufficient campers/walkers/cyclists with added benefit of nice village social club to get a post-walk drink.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cheesepiglet 1 review from this member

Excellent, secluded and quiet campsite. We were worried about midges but we camped by the gorge and only had one bite over 4 days. We didn't even use spray (as lost it on walk!).

Excellent showers, toilets and washing-up area.

No kids either, yippeee!

Very friendly staff.

There were some nice looking shops and pubs in the nearest village but we didn't venture into any of them as we love camp cooking.

The surrounding area is really very beautiful.

I'd recommend this campsite for anyone who wants to completely get away from it and rest in peace and nature. I don't have kids so no idea about how child-friendly it is but I was pleased there wasn't any - sorry parents, just being honest!

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Colin7500 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a long weekend with my wife and two children (5 and 8). Site owners were friendly and polite. They offered advice on best locations to pitch and pointed out the off-site social club and playground. Then we were pretty much left to our own devices.

The site was well maintained and the scenery was great. Only draw back was the solar powered hot water in the shower block. At best all we had was warm water for showering and washing dishes. There is no lighting on the site however this is a good thing if you enjoy a bit of star gazing. We did not have any problems with midges.

The club is a 5 minute walk and was built about 2 years ago. It is in pristine condition with a pool table and children's play room. It opens Thursday to Sunday from 7:30pm but also opens for breakfast at weekends. Their prices are very reasonable (including the limited food menu) and the staff are very friendly.

Just along from the club is the playground where adults and kids alike spent many an hour on the zip wire.

A great little site in a great location.

Date of Visit: July 2009 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Buddy1984 1 review from this member

Stayed here for 2 nights, was 5pppn which I thought was expensive for there only being toilets and showers on site (although oua did get half price child and the dog went free). Also a 2 deposit for toilet key was required.

GOOD POINTS: Campsite was beautiful, grass was kept short, toilets were spotless, owners left you to get on with it.

BAD POINTS no lighting on Site apart from in toilet/shower block which was on a timer switch so when you went to toilet the lights would go off leaving you in dark. Midgies were really bad 1st night when damp but 2nd night was dry and they stayed away. Site location was in the sticks, nearest cafe/shop was 6 miles and nearest supermarket was about 16 miles away.

ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY: The site uses a Wind Turbine to generate power for lighting toilet/shower block and water pumps. Also uses solar panels to warm the water for using in showers and washing up area (which got too hot after a full day of sunshine so you couldn't stand under shower) Other downside was the windturbine when windy would make a whipping sound which was annoying.

Previous     9 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Northumberland   -   Search for a site

Win a Wisport SilverFox 30L Rucksack Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 14/08 to 17/08 East Yorkshire
An affordable, fantastic weekend away listening to some great live Top tribute bands. Claim discounted entry!!