Visitor Reviews - Stonehaugh Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > Northumberland > Site Reviews

Stonehaugh Campsite
The Old Farmhouse
Stonehaugh
Hexham
Northumberland   (Browse area)
NE48 3BU   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

10m  1m  10m 10m   10m

Open: March To September

Reviews:  11 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Reviewer: Rayking 1 review from this member

Excellent location for a quiet, away from the hustle and bustle break.

Lots to do in the area, very close to Hadrian's wall and the Pennine way. Good walking and cycling area, there are lots of forest tracks to cycle on.

The shower block is very good. The water, heated by solar power, is at just the right temperature and there was lots of it.

We used an electric hook up, power supplied by a wind generator, this was very efficient and worked 100%

Stonehaugh social club is a good place to relax and is very friendly. There is a pool table, darts and bar billiards. Drinks are reasonably priced.

Bellingham is a good place to buy provisions it has a very good butcher, green grocer and bakers.

This is a campsite we will return to in the future.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Loli0503 1 review from this member

We booked Stonehaugh last minute, booking was easy rang at first then completed booking form online and was confirmed via email.

We arrived and paid cash as no card facilities along with a £2 deposit for the shower room key.

Nearest shop is not as described it is 6 miles away but its 5. 5 miles back along road before 6 mile journey to Wark, and 9 miles to Bellingham, on website states supermarkets in Bellingham. There is one a CO-OP, along with bakers, post office fruit shop and butchers they offer a bbq pack for 1 or 2 people at £4 or £8 there is also a couple banks and a cafe.

Petrol was very expensive in Bellingham at £1. 47 per litre.

Campsite was very peaceful with only a few others camping.

Water was not very hot on our first day, the lights are on a timer switch and whilst having a shower they went out which I found quite scary.

Sink are inside shower block to wash dishes.

I have very long hair and because weather was not great would have liked an electrical socket to dry my hair, there was 2 in shower block but covered stating not in use.

Warksburn picnic area was lovely and many places to walk the dog.

Kielder 9 miles drive from Bellingham.

We left a day early only due to the fact that it was our first camping trip since my partners health scare. It was too much for him and the owner kindly refunded us which I thought was a lovely gesture.

There is a clubhouse in Stonehaugh village 5 minutes walk from the site, lovely interior they offer meals and breakfast on a Sunday only open from Thursday at 7. 30pm.

Reviewer: Tony hardy 1 review from this member

Just come back and me and my son loved it. We went for two nights and done a lot of walking. My son loved climbing up and down the hill's. He loved the park nearby. The toilets were very clean. Wish I took cream cos when I got back home I was coved in bite marks on my legs. Only downside was the pub wasn't open, would have been nice to have something nice and warm to eat but that's my fault for not bringing anything warm. There are lots of place's to have your picnics on the walks. The staff were nice, they set you up and leave you to get on with what you want to do. We are definitely going back again.

Reviewer: DreamCatcher8 2 reviews from this member

GOOD POINT'S :- clean on site, grass well-maintained, bin point's around for your rubbish, price to stay is not to bad either.

BAD POINT'S :- solar panelled shower block which I found the water to be either far to cold or far to hot ( not suuitable for children in my eye's as me and my 4yr old son got burnt in the shower though this) I know they also have a bath room, but I also found that room to be cold and took a long time to fill up, I also thought at time's the ladies shower's were not cleaned properly on the bottom's and last but not least I got the impression (for all it states dog friendly) that the warden's (more so the man owner) arent too keen on dog's.

VILLAGE :- found the local villager's at the saloon social club (which is just a 2min walk from the campsite which do a lovely breakfast on a Sat-Sun morning, ) more friendly and warm welcoming then the owner's of the campsite it's self.

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sjpkgp 4 reviews from this member

We visited the last night of the season. Campsite very quiet and field very wet after recent weather. Camping field was tidy, flat, with litter bins and benches. Price was £8pppn with £2 deposit for key. Showers and toilets were clean.

Campsite is quite remote (no pubs or shops in small village) and near some lovely scenery, near a river so imagine that summer might see some midges, but none on our trip. Probably not the campsite for families wanting lots of entertainment or local facilities/eating places, but great for walkers/ cyclists /outdoorsy sorts or people who want to get away from it all. It rained through the night and we got the car off the now very wet field but it was a bit touch and go. Owners helpful and friendly and told us about the village social club (which is open Thu-Sun from 7. 30).

Social club was good - a newly built building at the top of the campsite track, we went in about 10pm, and there were about 8 or so local people in, all who were very friendly and we chatted with most of them. Great chap behind the bar, who showed us some walks and talked to us about the area. Had table football and pool table and a bar (a few draft beers and well stocked fridge - reasonable prices - also a good range of snacks and sweets). Social club also does breakfast for £5 on Sat am from 9am, which looked like a monster plenty of everything type, plus bacon butties etc. For £2. BBQ allowed but on concrete slab (got one from site).

In summary, quiet remote site for self sufficient campers/walkers/cyclists with added benefit of nice village social club to get a post-walk drink.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Cheesepiglet 1 review from this member

Excellent, secluded and quiet campsite. We were worried about midges but we camped by the gorge and only had one bite over 4 days. We didn't even use spray (as lost it on walk!).

Excellent showers, toilets and washing-up area.

No kids either, yippeee!

Very friendly staff.

There were some nice looking shops and pubs in the nearest village but we didn't venture into any of them as we love camp cooking.

The surrounding area is really very beautiful.

I'd recommend this campsite for anyone who wants to completely get away from it and rest in peace and nature. I don't have kids so no idea about how child-friendly it is but I was pleased there wasn't any - sorry parents, just being honest!

Previous     11 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Northumberland   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCampsite.co.uk Advent Calendar