Visitor Reviews - Atlantic Camping

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (East) > Site Reviews

Atlantic Camping
Atlantic Farm (west Grove Farm)
Atlantic Highway
Bude
Cornwall (East)   (Browse area)
EX23 8LY   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m  1m  1m  5m  1m  1m  1m  1m   1m  1m  5m  1m  1m

Pitches: 26 with hook-up, 30+ without hook-up

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage  Glamping

This is a Camping and Caravanning Club Certificated Site, which accept five caravans or motorhomes and usually tents, space permitting.

Reviews:  14 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Reviewer: Davemw 18 reviews from this member

This has to be the worst campsite in Cornwall !

We were asked to phone when we were on site, we did just that someone said they would be with us in a few minutes to show us around ! To this day we are still waiting.

We did find our pitch, we had asked for a quit part of the site. We were right next to the road into the camping field ! No one came, so we rang again. This time no answer.

So we pitched our tent anyway.

On needing to fill the water bottle I was greeted by a very large pile of smelly rubbish about 5m away. And on one occasion even the dustbin men refused to take it !

Now on the web site the pictures and wording are, to my way of thinking, very misleading, There is Only one washing up sink ! That has Hot water, the other three are out doors in the open, and do Not have Hot water only cold.

We are a family of four two adults and two mid teen girls. We all had to have a Cold shower, as none of the showers had hot water to them when we used them, we even got back early one day to beet the rush, I had a cold shower that day.

The toilets were by no means good. Badly fitting doors, so you could see who and what anyone was doing through the gaps

You could not wash your hands in hot water afterwards, some only had a cold tap, as well as no hand towels.

We had a email a few days before to say we needed to take our own toilet paper.

One of the Toilets had a 12' square hole in the roof, All of which Had tin roofs the was second hand from the farm buildings I would think and fitted badly.

We left this campsite two days early as we were all Very fed up with it, NOT as web site, and cost us more than the other site we had come from.

Never again at this site.

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Frederico 33 reviews from this member

Stayed at this caravan site for one night. Good access from A39. Could not find a reception so I drove onto the pitch area. I spoke to a man working in toilets and he pointed me to a house where I met the owner who was pleasant and said set up anywhere. Large pitches on grass which was a bit long. The toilets, showers and dish washing sinks are in wooden sheds and are clean and adequate. There is a climbing slide for children. The site is handy for touring the area and with Bude close to it, good for shops.

Reviewer: Idf560 6 reviews from this member

The staff were only too happy to help. The price was unbelievably low and I can't help thinking that this may alter when the owners realise quite what a gem they have here.

A real joy one evening was being able to order chilli con carne and a jacket spud for just 3 and have it delivered to your pitch - this isn't a regular thing but I've no doubt that it could become so in the future.

Atlantic's location made it easy to get out and about, easy to walk into Bude via the industrial estate (as you leave the lane you have a choice of turning right and walking directly into Bude or continuing straight on and along the canal/river which eventually takes to to the beach).

We were located at the top end of the site which I later discovered wasn't intended to be put into use this year but the owners decision was swayed by the weather. I was also advised that he intends to put water, loos and showers at that end soon.

Go visit - remember you get what you pay for and this site was worth every penny.

Some visitors leave negative reviews of this site, I think they all fail to recognise that this is a growing site.

While we were there, additional lighting was installed in the facilities block and additional washing up facilities were in the process of being installed.

I also discovered a washing machine and tumble drier and although they appeared to be new they did not appear to be yet commissioned.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: SandraScot1 23 reviews from this member

Just returned from 2 nights here. Wonderful little site. If you want all the trimmings then this isn't for you. There are 4 basic toilets and a couple of showers all enclosed in little wooden huts so fairly basic - but very clean. 1 Washing up sink. No lights at night so bring a torch and obviously no laundry facilities for drying clothes/towels etc but at 15 per night over a bank holiday weekend with electric - I think that's good value. Some noise from the main road but you can live with that. No designated dog walk area but lots of walks out of the site. My only picky point is the lack of signage around when you arrive. You need to go to the main house (marked private) and the owners will sort you out.

You can walk to Bude via the industrial estate road - takes about 25 minutes all told. Leave the site, take a right back up to the Bude and Stratton Industrial park, into the park, take a right and find the little wooden fence lane on the left, follow it to the next road, then right then left and you're on the main road to Bude.

We will return here again as it's clean, cheap and handy for visiting our daughter and the grandchildren who all live nearby.

However no hard standing and on a slope so blocks needed and wouldn't use this site in wet weather as suspect it gets waterlogged and the toilets would flood. However for fairweather camping - an absolute little gem!

Date of Visit: September 2012 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Chris and Si 5 reviews from this member

We spent two nights here on our way down into Cornwall. We were in our old Volswagen Camper 'Vera'. It wasn't busy at all on our arrival as the children had returned to school. We drove into the farm yard not sure of how to 'book in'. We finally found a very accommodating young man who showed us where we could pitch. There are no hard-standings and the field is slightly sloping, so chocks/ramps are a necessity if you have a camper.

We then took a drive into Bude where we found some great shops - it has everything you need there! Everything looked clean, even the beach.

On our return to Atlantic we discovered Tess who is a lovely friendly farm dog who appears to enjoy company.

We explored the site and had a look at the Surf Pods with the sumptuous bathroom they have provided. We decided that it looked a little like a 'Telly Tubby' village! Kids would absolutely love it. There were also animals to look at - hens, bantams, geese, a turkey, and what we think were alpacas.

We found the American Diner but as it was late in the season it was closed. We also had a look in the shop which stocked the basics.

We were given a map to show the best way to walk into Bude (avoiding having to walk along the busy main road). You take a right out of the site, go through the Business Park and down into the town. This took us a good half hour to get right into the town, but it was all down-hill. It was taxi back up for about 6 if my memory serves me right (old age is creeping on).

The toilets were adequate and there was plenty of hot water in the showers and wash-up area. There were solar lights in the toilets which were OKish, but when you camp you should always have a decent torch. These facilities are made out of rough wood and blend in well with the rural feeling. If you want posh, heated facilities, then these will not be for you (not including the amazing bathroom for the Pods!) but as previously said, they do the job. Waste disposal and fresh water is also available.

The only criticism we have is that it would be easier for first time visitors if there were some clearer signs directing them to the reception area.

We will certainly return.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Warbuj 17 reviews from this member

We stayed at Atlantic for 6 nights, we would have done 8, but the weather forecast for the weekend was awful and so we decided to leave early.

We did have some heavy down pours, but the site dried and drained very quickly.

The site was easy to find, straight off the main A39 between the two turnings for Bude.

The entrance road is tarmacked, then you get to a left fork where you turn for the camping field. This is a gravel road, but well maintained.

When we arrived there was a rally in the upper half of the field which had churned up the entrance and the path up the filed. I drove straight on and parked at the bottom.

I left my wife and daughter with the trailer and car and went to find someone to see where I should pitch, there were a lot of people working on the farm side of things and I was soon with the owner. She came back with me and we had actually parked on our pitch (lucky eh!).

Each pitch had a railed fence along side it where we hung our wet suits and towels to dry which was the length of the pitch, which was a decent size.

The site was full, but it never seemed crowded. The farm and site guys worked tirelessly to keep the thoroughfare clear through the site by putting straw and later bark chippings down.

As we were the first pitch and at the bottom of the hill (The site is on a slight slope, but nothing to worry about). We only had a few seconds walk to the toilet and showers.

This is the only down side to the site. There are no lights in either except for one toilet and one shower have a solar light which is dull at night. They were cleaned regularly, but with the mud from the road and field this was a battle for the staff.

I also found that the showers were awkward when you wanted to put you clothing somewhere as they only had one peg and this was in the shower with you, some showers had a separating partition with the peg on the rear also the jet reached my shoes which were near the door.

The toilets had no mirror to shave inside, but there was one on the wall outside.

But like I said the toilets aside in this location it's a nice place.

The showers are free and there was always hot water. The showers stopped working once while I was in, I asked one of the guys on site who sorted it straight away, it was a stuck float in a water tank at the side of the shower sheds.

The staff work tirelessly, cleaning, cutting the grass etc.

We went in the dinner for a milk shake, nice for a treat, but a little pricey for every day.

The camping pods looked nice as well.

We walked into Bude which is around 20 to 30 minutes max (5min by car), once out of the site turn left then right and just follow the road. There is no path for around a mile and you need to take a torch.

We ate at a curry house facing the golf course which I can recommend and there are some nice cafe restaurants in Bude.

Budes good for surfing, we hired boards from the shop on the carpark at the beach, 5 for half a day.

There are life guards on so you can feel safer while out with the kids.

Lots to see and do around there, can cost a bit if the weather turns bad but that seems to be England.

Previous     14 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (East)   -   Search for a site

Win a Coleman Event Shelter from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Somerset Motorhome Show 12/09 to 14/09 Shepton Mallet
All the latest Motorhomes and a host of accessories. Win Tickets or buy Discounted Day Ticket Offer!