Visitor Reviews - Muirkirk Caravan Site

Muirkirk Caravan Site
Furnace Road
Muirkirk
Ayrshire   (Browse area)
KA18 3QQ   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m 10m  5m  1m   10m  10m  1m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Statics on Sale

Reviews:  10 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Caledonian1 2 reviews from this member

Visited the site on a very wet weekend in a vw campervan.

Made to feel most welcome on the pitch by other site users stopping for a chat.

Social club on site was great as well and also very reasonable prices. I walked into the club on a dreech Friday night and the patrons instantly introduced themselves the conversations were enjoyable. I spent part of Saturday afternoon playing pool with my daughters in the Bar and we really enjoyed it. On the Saturday evening there was good entertainment in the large lounge/function room and I was delighted when myself and family were very lucky on the evening raffle.

Bingo was also played on the evening.

As my family members are over 18 years old and having visited sites all around the country for more than 30 years I feel the site is perhaps more suited for family's with older children. I hope I am not being to unfair as the other people in my group of vw enthusiasts had young children with them and they seemed to be having a whale of a time in each others company. Having said that The Site owner and her staff I am sure would do their utmost to make any familys with younger children feel included.

Toilet block was very clean and functional.

One point of improvement I would like to mention. Could do with a light at the dish wash up area. (I suppose I could just wash the dishes during day). To be fair I did not mention this to the owner and if I did I am sure it would be actioned. I will mention at my next visit.

Great hill walks in surrounding areas. River Ayr very near. (Unsure if fishing Permit required). 10 minute walk to centre of town. 3 local pubs Chip shop in town and doubles as chinese carry out. Salt and Pepper chips very tasty +recommended.

Also in town. Co-op general store (with off licence) Butchers (Great burgers)General Store + newsagent etc.

The site was generally very good and ideal for my needs however every camper has different needs and if you do visit the site I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did.

Looking forward to a return visit.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Manta400 2 reviews from this member

First impressions were not good, decided to just book 1 night. A lot of seasonal vans at this site. The site had a travellers feel with gas bottles stood around mossy vans. At 5 o clock several commercial Balfor Beaty vans returned to the site visitor car parking area, didn't feel like a holiday should. However I have been to a lot of sites this year and have noticed a feel of being less friendly as each year passes. The people on this site were very friendly and helpful, which proved myself wrong with my first impressions. The lads working didn't bother me when I thought about the economic climate and people have to do what needs to be done to live, including the owner making a living also. The area is full of interesting mining history and the birthplace of 'tar macadam'. There are plenty of walks from the site, and it is a peaceful place to stay. I stayed another night. I will come back to this site again.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Alan + Sally 5 reviews from this member

This is a nice site but spoilt by a few points which I will cover below.

A) As we entered the site the first thing we were greeted with by the site entrance was an extremely large rubbish skip that was full and remained so for the duration of our stay (5 days!).

B) the elsan toilet disposal point was the second thing we saw, directly in front of you as you drive in. It is basically a household toilet bowl but with no cistern so you could not flush any waste away. There was a tap with a short hose left lying on the floor (amongst dirt and mud)so you could rinse your van toilet out. The disposal point was enclosed, for want of a better word, by a slatted fence that had seen better days.

C) The toilet shower/toilet block was somewhat dated and although we did see a cleaner most mornings mopping the floor the smell of bleach made your eyes water. It appeared that the pallet style blocks adjacent to the shower trays didn't look as if they had been moved in months judging by the amount of debris clearly visible underneath them.

Overall we thought that at £17 p/night this site was over priced and fell well short of the standards of numerous sites we have stayed on throughout the UK.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Ashleyh 6 reviews from this member

We used the site as a stop off on our journey to the highlands from the south. My wife selected it from internet reviews, particularly from this site. I checked it out using Google maps a few days before we went - it didn't fill me with confidence - the town itself looked very tired, as did the site.

On arrival however we were very warmly welcomed (once a small child explained how to open the security gate - we didn't figure it out!) by the owner.

The site has a pleasant enough layout with a few statics and lots of hardstandings and grass pitches with EHU. The toilet block was clean and the water hot. There is an on site bar which was reasonably priced, but no food.

We ventured into Muirkirk which has a co-op and a couple of pubs, neither of which seemed to do food (although it was a Sunday night) The owners are obviously trying hard with the site which does have potential and come the end, suited our 1 night stay perfectly.

A very peaceful site which I am sure would be far busier in another location.

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Iandj 4 reviews from this member

We visited on the weekend of the Kaimes sprint, A very friendly little site, our two children aged 4 were made most welcome. The toilets and showers very clean with coded entry. The little clubhouse is warm and inviting and our young children were provided with games to entertain them. The prices were very reasonable. The site has clearly had a lot of work put in recently. The wooded area of the camp site has significant storm damage work on cutting down damaged trees is progressing, I think this site will develop and grow, There are several very nice walks on the doorstep a great relaxing park a wee cracker.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bcam 13 reviews from this member

Very nice little site on the outskirts of Muirkirk, well set out with ample space between pitches we were on a converted static pitch which was absolutely fine.

The toilets are very clean with good showers.

The only thing was I couldn't find the grey waste disposal area so had to pick the waste water carrier up and empty it down the chemical disposal point but I'm sure it must be there!

There is a very nice wee club on site with a pool table and dartboard and a large function hall.

The owners are very pleasant and are in the process of renovating the park so hopefully all goes well for them.

Overall a very nice welcoming site that is well worth a visit.

Previous     10 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Ayrshire   -   Search for a site

Win a Nemesis Ultra Wheel Clamp! from Towsure.com Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers