Visitor Reviews - Elaghvale Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Northern Ireland > N Ireland > Site Reviews

Elaghvale Camping Park
49 Upper Galliagh Road
Londonderry
N Ireland   (Browse area)
BT48 8LW   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  5m  1m  10m  10m  5m  10m  5m   5m  1m  5m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes Caravan Storage Storage

Reviews:  15 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Date of Visit: June 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Loyalcamper 1 review from this member

Stayed at this camp site for two nights. The road up to it was small and hard to get passed parked cars etc. Owners were kind people, only seen one of them. The campsite itself isn't finish at all, needs tidying up, concrete instead of rough stone, very windy spot needs some wind block!, grass cut. Toilets locks were broke. No toilet rolls. Only one shower, birds nesting inside. Not much to do on campsite. The price of staying at campsite is way too much, unless it was finished. I would only give 10 pound a night for staying at it.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Mbzrad101 1 review from this member

A delightful spot with great views. As others have pointed out the facilities are a little agricultural and the site is still 'work in progress'

That said we were warmly welcomed and would definitely use it again as they seem determined to create something special.

Reasonably priced to reflect the situation.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Fitzpatrick 1 review from this member

I used the campsite last weekend with my Girl Guide unit for a weekend camp.

The location of the site is great as there is no other campsite site around Derry that these youth groups can use.

Paul and is family were so helpful, making sure we were set up ok. The facilities were good, only issue being that there is only 1 female toilet so was a bit of a queue when 15 of us on camp together. I know there is plans for a shower/toilet block and this will be a great extra to the site.

There was plenty of space if the kids to run around and enjoy.

I will be back to use the site and will recommend them to other guide groups

Date of Visit: May 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Damselfly 2 reviews from this member

For the sake of all those expecting an idyllic site I will give our experiences. The site is reached by a narrow twisting road up a hill a short distance outside Derry - probably ok with a smaller motorhome but more difficult with a towed van, especially bigger outfit (this can also be an issue leaving the site, steeply uphill at a bend in the road). On arriving at the site you see first a motley collection of buildings and equipment.

The site does not yet have a proper surface, not even gravel, just a thick layer of roughly broken up tarmac with heaps of the same stuff marring the view of the valley beyond.

I have marked site down for child friendliness as unless the child is one who likes to play on a toy digger in heaps of broken up asphalt, there is little here for them.

Facilities - very good campers' kitchen with free use of washing machine and hot water. Information available on local area. Comfortable seating area.

Others complained re low electricity rating of hook ups but we had no problem using microwave / kettle / hair dryer though as usual we only had one on at a time. Wash blocks have one shower and one toilet situated in same cubicle in each of the male and female washrooms, so you would want to have your own facilities if a few units were staying. Over the holiday weekend that we stayed the washrooms did not appear to have been cleaned at all from our arrival till we left 3 days later. Standard of plumbing in the washrooms was incredibly poor 'home job'.

Small area of lawned grass on site suitable for tents - if you don't mind very limited facilities. Larger rough grass area but grass a bit too long even for football,

Owners whom we met once were very friendly.

Our overall opinion was that this was a site started with great intentions and ideas but nowhere near finished and still requiring work essential for a proper site. Yes it is expensive to set up such a venture, but the site was being extended while the first part was still in a very unfinished state. Disappointing that facilities were not properly maintained over a holiday weekend.

Date of Visit: April 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jimo 1 review from this member

Just back from a three day stay at Elaghvale camp site where Paul Fidelma and kids were friendly and helpful. Shower and toilet facilities spotless as was kitchen area. Scenery brilliant and a relaxed camp site. Definitely will be back. This family are working very hard to create the perfect camp site and I would say there well on their way to doing that. Would definitely recommend there for a stay.

Date of Visit: March 2011 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Jjlj95 18 reviews from this member

I spent a really happy fortnight here. I crossed from Stranraer to Belfast and it was an easy journey on good roads from the ferry port, so the 75 mile trip took just under 2 1/4 hours.

The directions given on the site information are spot on, the site being 1 mile from the turn off at the final roundabout, just keep on that country road until you've climbed the hill, it's levelled off and you see a large bungalow on your left. I was initially concerned that I might not recognise the Foyle Bridge or realise I had crossed it - not possible !

Paul and family are absolutely lovely, and so friendly, welcoming, reassuring and helpful and they have amazing plans for the site, including environmentally important ones.

During my stay I was glad to use the washing up and laundry facilities and to pick up information from the flyers in the utility room, and whilst the wifi was not strong enough for streaming tele programmes ( my tele and digi box only picked up radio programmes - but I didn't bother more than a cursory try as the caravan radio picked up crystal clear reception ) it was plenty strong enough to pick up e mails and look on websites, so was a very welcome bonus that you pay dearly for on UK sites.

The shower and loo were housed in a room together, I was the only female staying at the time, so was spoilt, but when the site is busier it might be prudent to have your own loo set up in case someone is having a shower so access to the loo wouldn't be possible. There is to be a larger toilet/shower block built, but I don't know the time scale.

The hard standing is great and I was able to set up facing wonderful views of Derry and Donegal and enjoyed on several occasions, sitting at my caravan table watching a pair of Golden Eagles circling in the sky, fabulous !

The Millennium Forum Theatre is only 5.3 miles away and a 15/20 minute, very straight forward drive. Plenty of food shopping available close by too. Be sure to turn mobile phone roaming off, or it'll slip into 'Meteor' as a service provider and therefore, International charges. When I switched my roaming off, my T Mobile and Giffgaff signals were full strength, but both had switched to Meteor before I'd done so, a 7 lesson I learnt the hard way my first day in Derry !

I would be back to this site in the blink of an eyelid, and lovely though it already is, once all the plans come to fruition it will be fantastic.

Previous     15 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in N Ireland   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!