Visitor Reviews - Portnadoran Caravan Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Scotland > Inverness-Shire > Site Reviews

Portnadoran Caravan Site
Arisaig
Highlands
Inverness-Shire   (Browse area)
PH39 4NT   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

1m  1m 1m  1m   1m

Open: April To October

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire

Reviews:  25 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Largemac 3 reviews from this member

A bit disappointed with this site which was recommended by my uncle. Loos a bit basic and not always as clean as the we would like.

Lovely views from the site but missus was a bit intimidated with the owners dogs.

The regulars were not overly welcome either to be honest.

The area itself is quite spectacular, wonderful beaches and the sunsets are to die for.

Arisaig is a bit special but if you are going to visit I would suggest the campsite up the road which is top spec and not much more per night.

Mallaig is a wonderful place to stock up on the essentials with a well stocked Co-op and Spar. Ferries to the islands are regular from Mallaig too.

Reviewer: J and I Morrison 1 review from this member

I would like to point out that the only thing that put me off booking Portnadoran were the reviews of rubbish toilets & showers! FEAR NOT. They are clean and I would rather pay 20p for 2 mins of 'hot' water than have cold for free. Please don't be put off by these reviews. I have had many free cold showers but not here.

We arrived in the sunshine and were offered a great pitch overlooking the beach. Perfect, our dog had the best time and ran on the beach - often accompanied by the owners puppy who escaped from under the hedge (She was delicious)and my only complaint is that we picked the wrong week as the scottish children had all gone back to school and my son only had us and the dog to play with - AND the wall to wall sunshine I had ordered disappeared after the Sunday. However it is a beautiful location and we will be going back next year (maybe in a caravan) which the owners do hire incidentally.

It was great to watch my husband relive his childhood years spending time on the same beach he played on as a lad.

We ventured into Mallaig, the Co-op is well stocked. The best fish and chips were up the hill towards the Spar, and a trip to Fort William on the train cost 14. 20 for adults and kids go free on a day return. Loads to do - even in the rain. GO GO GO!

Date of Visit: July 2013 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Gallachers 4 reviews from this member

Just back from a few days break at Portnadoran, as usual we had a great time. The owners are welcoming and friendly. The site is well laid out and pitches are spacious. Showers etc spotless. Nothing was negative. There are regular people who return year after year and it's easy to see why. Right on the beach with splendid views. We brought our children here for holidays and are now bringing their children !

Reviewer: Katbonn 2 reviews from this member

Stayed at this site for a few days. Location was beautiful. We visited quite a few places on our visit in area, including taking a ferry to the isle of Skye. Watched the boats come and go whilst eating fish and chips. And even took the Jacobite steam train used on same line as the harry potter films.

It was pouring with rain on our first visit to campsite. By luck the male owner was just returning to reception as we arrived. We had a very friendly welcoming by him and he showed us where we could pitch up. However the campsite was very cramped with caravans and only a few other tents. On our 3rd day on return from a day out to mallig we were greeted to a massive caravan right next to our tent and were forced to park car in a different area as the caravan owner had parked in our spot.

The facilities were acceptable but very basic. Unfortunately it was far to windy to even attempt to use burner to cook but there was no shelter/area in facilities to cook in. However there was a microwave which we used and we managed to use our BBQ for 1 day from good weather. I found the campsites website description very different from visit. The freezer was full of large items in plastic bags. Despite being told it was for icepacks. There was very hot water in toilets but in kitchen to have hot water charges you money as do the showers.

There is a strict but friendly policy of dogs must remain on leads. But every dog but one was off the lead including the owners! Our BBQ nearly got knocked over twice from balls being thrown for a nearby campers dog. And the owners dog was free to roam which I saw quite a few times going right up to people and growling and barking including us. And on 3 occasions I saw the dog wee up 2 peoples cars and up a tent. Which I found disgraceful.

The campsite was generally clean despite looking run down. However on a visit to the toilets we were greeted by the female owner of the campsite. We gave a very friendly greeting. And asked a polite friendly question about the weather for the week. In response we got a very snotty response and a couple minutes later were told off for drying our hands on the dryer! Despite the dryer being very old and slow. I walked out annoyed and with wet hands. Most of the people camped on the site were very friendly and chatty.

Overall would I recommend this campsite? No. However I would recommend the view of the beaches. There's about 5 other campsites along the same road with the same views that are a lot bigger and a lot better and a couple of them you can even camp as close as you wish to the beach.

Date of Visit: May 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mling1970 1 review from this member

Just returned from our second visit to the site (previous one in June 2012). I can't add anything to all the positive comments of other reviews, I would agree wholeheartedly. I felt it worth mentioning, however, that a new electrical hook-up system is in place, and that the toilets and showers were all in good, clean, working order (the new walk-in showers opening the day we arrived in June 2012).

Showers are charged at 20p per 2 minutes and the hot water for washing up is 10p for a sinkful. Whilst at first baulking at these charges, this metering system means that there is always hot water when you want it. And the prices are still the same as 2012.

The owners are very friendly and helpful.

Date of Visit: August 2012 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Daygirl 2 reviews from this member

First time in Portnadoran and will definitely be returning. I've been to a few sites in Arisaig and I must say this is the best.

Beautiful views looking out to sea from the site, within easy walking distance to beach. Managed to get an amazing sunset whilst barbecuing on the beach. Beautiful white sands and clear blue sea.

Excellent price for a large tent and hook up at just 16 per night. Nice flat ground and very easy to pitch the tent (no need for a mallet for pegs). Owners very friendly and arranged an extension for our hookup. Very friendly site with a lot of regular seasonal pitchers and regular visitors. Very relaxed and chilled out place I've ever been too.

Toilet block basic but clean and more than adequate, there are two showers, one in the toilet block and one in the building opposite but I would recommend waiting on the walk in shower in the opposite building (best ever shower I've had on a campsite, although last day was a cold shower).

Going across on the Sea Bridge Ferry to knoydart was an experience in itself, once there had the most amazing seafood platter in the Old Forge pub. Visited Mallaig most days for fresh fish to put on the barbecue at nights.

This holiday has topped almost all foreign holidays I've had. One of the most amazing and beautiful places in all the world.

Can't wait to return and discover the many more sites Arisaig and its surroundings has to offer.

Previous     25 Review in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Inverness-Shire   -   Search for a site

Win a Clarke IG22000 2.2kW Generator worth 467.98! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Truckfest Peterborough
Exciting family entertainment, and you can make a full long weekend of them, by camping on site!Plus win tickets!