Visitor Reviews - Badrallach Campsite Bothy & Holiday Cottage

IV23 2QP   See Map
Tel: 07435 123 190  or  01854 613240
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches   No Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   Battery Charging   Gas Refills   Recycling Facilities
 Shop <10 miles   Bar <10 miles   Restaurant <10 miles   Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach <1 mile   Watersports <1 mile   Boat Launch / Mooring <1 mile
 Waterside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport <10 miles

Reviews:  13 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Date of Visit: October 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Romanay 1 review from this member

Came across a little sign for this wonderful campsite whilst driving round the west coast of Scotland deliberately getting lost as I had a bit of time to spare.

It's at the end of a 7-8 mile road that makes you feel like you 'travelling to the moon' as the campsite warden puts it. A very friendly welcome from the helpful (and handsome) warden when I arrived helped me decide to stay a couple of nights in spite of the first one being a tad windy at 50 miles per hour! When the morning arrived it was calm and clear, cold but sunny, a really beautiful day! The mountains across the loch are just something to behold - you really feel like you are away from all of life's stresses when you are here. My little dog enjoyed herself too. I was pleased to have so much space for her to run around -although there are sheep and cows all around the area. I saw dolphins on the loch and plenty of stags and deer. I even got to read my book which never happens! There was only one other camper who was staying in the bothy whilst I was there. I was grateful to know that the bothy was available if the weather got too bad to stay in the van. The two nights only cost me 15 too, 10 for me and 5 for the van which is a little VW.

If you are looking for peace and quiet and some surprisingly good facilities -good toilets and showers, then it is worth visiting this very beautiful very unique place. What a find- I'll be back!

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Summersmum 26 reviews from this member

We booked ahead via email and then discovered there was a new owner a few weeks before our arrival. Didn't meet him so the neighbour, Steve, is currently collecting pitch fees morning and evening. 8 miles drive from main road down single track but tarmac road. Tents welcome as are campervans up to 6 metres long. Hook up available and fire pits by some pitches. Toilets and showers fine but could do with a spring clean. No means of drying hands. Strange sliding door across shower which doesn't work well to keep water off floor and you need to be short and slim to climb in it easily! Beautiful views and very peaceful, loch a few minutes walk away and a pleasant footpath goes for miles when the road runs out. Great views from this out to sea and the Isle of Harris is a smudge in the distance. Lovely place to get away from it all especially if you come stocked up so you can just relax and enjoy the scenery. Dog liked it too.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Arniesdad 14 reviews from this member

Coming back from a trip to Durness on a fine Saturday late afternoon in mid-September, having rejected a couple of sites in the Ullapool area due to them being unexpectedly full, I travelled further to seek the solace of a site I had last used some eight years ago. A good decision! the only major change since then is the movement of the owners home up to the first croft in the village (where you are supposed to check in). The site is very peaceful, next to a bothy, with beautifully clean, and slightly quirky, facilities (I challenge you to have one of the gorgeously hot, free showers without flooding the floor!). The side road leading to the site and the entrance to the site, I'm pleased to say, could be tricky for large motorhomes and caravans, but this last part of the journey is spectacular in it's own right with stroppy Highland cattle showing who is boss around there. Two minor niggles in that the site does gently slope and the ground is quite soft, but who cares? a lovely little site in a spectacular setting. (I also would advise ringing before coming as the site is quite small).

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Kezereth 2 reviews from this member

My Husband and I stayed here for 5 nights. It took us nearly 11 hours to drive to this campsite from Wigan, so we were very relieved that it lived up to the expectations that we read about prior to planning our trip.

This campsite is tucked away, literally in the middle of nowhere. The 8 mile trip up a dirt track from the main road throws you a little bit when you first arrive, but the scenery is breathtaking all the way to the campsite. We checked in on arrival, the guy was pleasant and informative of where we could pitch our tent. We chose a pitch in the middle of the field, a reasonable distance from the toilets and the Bothy (which we didn't go in the entire duration of our stay, only because we didn't really understand it and felt a little bit intimidated by the people staying in it. So we just left it alone. )

There is an electric hook up on the site, however we didn't need to use this. Water is fed directly from the mountain through a filtration access point. It may be copper in color and look a little bit like a urine sample, but I guarantee it's the sweetest, purest water you'll ever have drunk. The toilet / shower block is very clean and tidy and I saw somebody cleaning it several times during our stay. Similarly, cleaning products and mops/squeegees are provided for guests to clean up after themselves which makes you more inclined to keep the place clean and tidy. The showers are probably the best showers I've ever experienced on a campsite. They are gorgeously hot and powerful and a very welcome end to any camping day. Baby change facilities are also available, along with a shaving plug in power point and a hair dryer, which I was very impressed with!

The location is just beyond words. Our tent was just a mere two minutes walk to the loch side and we spent many a happy moment taking in the views of the mountains and the low hanging mist. You can't get better views than that on a campsite anywhere in the UK I would happily say, hands down.

One thing I will mention about this site is the midges. They seem to carry baseball bats around there, and we were bitten to hell after our deet wipes proved ineffective to our needs, so we popped to the Tesco in Ullapool to get some more heavy duty midge spray. If you are susceptible to insect bites, take some spray with you!

The nearest supermarket is situated 25 minutes away in Ullapool. There is also access to a few camping shops should anything be needed for your stay. The petrol garage here also sells dry logs. A lot of the pitches on the campsite have fire pits. It unfortunately rained a lot of the time during our stay, so we cheated slightly, and rather than gather wet wood from the surrounding area, we picked up a nice dry bag of logs and had a pleasant night cooking sausages and marshmallows over the fire pit as we looked out over the loch.

I'd stay here again with no issues what-so-ever. If you are looking for a totally remote getaway, a 'back to nature' affair with no frills, then this is the place for you. I suspect if you are looking for somewhere suitable for children packed with things to do, then this campsite would be less suitable.

Thank you for a very pleasant and memorable getaway!

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Hurfs77 4 reviews from this member

Warning don't pay up front.

Came here hoping for a relaxing family holiday, but on arrival in high winds and heavy rain there was no one was at the croft! so went to the campsite which is a little down the road to find no pitch had been reserved for as even thought we had booked well in advance. Due the the weather all the pitch's were water lodged badly so we just picked one that looked a little less flooded and setup for the night (snapping a pole in the high winds).

Day 2 went to the croft to pay! Again no one in

Day 3 Went to the croft again and low and behold so one was there! not that she was very happy to see us and not very helpful

Day 4 high winds snapped another poll on the tent but this time ripped the fabric of the tent! It was bad and there was little to no hope of a fix for it (plus my young daughter was sick) so packed up to go home. AGAIN went to the croft just to let them no what had happen but yet again no one there.

Emailed them from home the next day asking for a refund as we had not stayed for the time we had paid (as most site are more then happy to do this) just to be told no, even thought there site does state the are human and will try.

As for the site it's OK has two women's and two men's toilets & two showers (which work fine if you can get in them! useless for small children) it could all do with a little TLC but works fine.

No real place for dish-washing for campers just the use of the kitchen in the bothy (which always had people in it, we used the stream in the end ).

But the location is stunning.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Gailyates 1 review from this member

Spend an idyllic week at Badrallach over the Easter break and didn't want to come home. The campsite is set on a quiet estate road, tucked away from civilisation on the banks of Little Loch Broom. Pitches are level on the main field and there are a number of additional pitches set in amongst gorse bushes, if you want a bit more privacy. The sun shone for our entire stay so we didn't really use the bothy, but we did check it out. Its a really homely little building with huge leather sofas, a fire and a wealth of games and books that can be borrowed. The kitchen can be used for pot washing and for cooking if needed. Facilities were fantastic, lots of piping hot water (free) for showers, which were welcome after a day on the hill. Mick, the owner, was around if needed and he's keen to have feedback on your stay.

All in all, Badrallach is a quiet little gem of a place, especially if you want to escape from life and while away the hours completely absorbed in the stunning scenery that the area has to offer. We will certainly be heading back.

Previous     13 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review to win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Highlands   -   Search for a site

Win a Colibri Lux Sleeping Bag and Sim Bundle worth over 270 Win East Anglian Game & Country Fair Camping Weekend Tickets!

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game and Country Fair 28 to 29 April
Thetford. Weekend Camping available. Plus win tickets in our competition ...more