Visitor Reviews - Helwith Bridge Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > North Yorkshire > Site Reviews

Helwith Bridge Campsite
Helwith Bridge
Horton In Ribblesdale
Settle
North Yorkshire   (Browse area)
BD24 0EH   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m   1m

Pitches: 10 - 20

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes

Reviews:  15 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Chorleydave 7 reviews from this member

A field with a water tap that belongs to the house that overlooks it. That's it, unless you take into account the outhouse attached to the pub with one toilet, and sink with hot water which is open 24 hours and so handy if the pub door is locked.

What you get is 3 a night camping next to the best pub with the best beer and the best prices in the Yorkshire Dales, not to mention the enormous portions of delicious food cooked to order by the landlady. That landlord is one lucky fella! The views ain't bad either! Only negative (if this sort of thing bothers you) is the noise from the quarry wagons which pass within a few yards of your tent every few minutes from early morning until early evening.

A final point. If you arrive by camper van or trailer tent, camping is free on the large pub car park as long as you patronise the pub - and who wouldn't with that ale and that food at those prices!

Date of Visit: November 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Taxis Kendal 29 reviews from this member

Superb views! There is practically 360 degrees of view, if you use the second field, as we did. There is only one toilet and sink, and a tap in the field, but we didn't need them. With an overnight low of -5 Celsius, there were no midges, or other campers. The second field is best for views and lower road noise. This doesn't make 10 stars because there is quarry traffic.

Note: there aren't signs to this campsite. Park in the large pub car park. The camping fields are next to the quarry road. Pay 3 pp to the very nice lady in the proper sized house which backs onto the field.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: HannahsMenagerie 12 reviews from this member

A one-night stopover prior to climbing the little hill just up the road (Pen-Y-Ghent) as I didn't fancy a couple of hours drive on either side of the hill walk.

This is a small friendly site although the neighbours in the field next door found plenty to bleat about just after dawn but they soon settled down to graze and were quiet once more.

Facilities: Just the outhouse with one WC and a sink in it when the pub is closed. I don't know about hot water as it was too hot for anything other than a cold water wash for me. There was only once I had to wait but I wouldn't fancy it if the site was very busy.

Campsite: Not the flattest site in the world but all the more fun for having to think and plan where to pitch your tent. On the plus side I only hit one rock when pitching. The biggest downside for me was having to retreat into the tent to escape the midges that were determined to cover me in as many bites as possible.

Area: Stunning views all around. You are close to the river, railway and road so there is some noise but it is a quiet road so this drops off to practically nothing in the evening and overnight. I was there at a weekend so there was no noise at all from the quarry.

Pub: Fabulous food and dog friendly, there is even a little bar for the 4 legged companions. A word of warning, if it is busy get your food order in quick, when I was there they stopped taking orders at about 8pm as the kitchen was too busy.

A great little site that I will certainly use again if I am in the area and at 3 per person per night (dogs are free) it's fantastic value for money.

Date of Visit: August 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: TimMul 1 review from this member

This was a 3 day cycle camping trip and I didn't want to venture too far in case I couldn't do it. (It was 43 miles and first time cycle camping for over 30 years!)

The site is approx 3. 5 miles from Settle, where there plenty of places to buy provisions. Martin, the sites owner, came across and told me to camp where I chose and was friendly and helpful. There is a standpipe at the bottom of the field, one toilet, with a mirror and sink and hot water at most times, unless the pub is busy (this was explained to me) - the toilet block is attached to the side of the pub and uses the pubs plumbing, but I always had hot water. The field is well drained. The Settle Carlisle railway is close by and I saw a few steam trains pass. Scenery in the area is lovely and although there is a quarry not far away, the lorries weren't noisy (as there aren't many buildings to bounce the sound back at you).

The pub serves real ales and on Thursday nights they have a steak night, serving 8 or 16oz steaks at very reasonable prices - get in early, it's very popular. Also the locals are very friendly and welcoming.

So, finally, it is basic camping and Martin also emphasises this when you arrive. To me, it is how camping should be - indeed, how it used to be. It is a great setting, great location and not too far to go for provisions either -and it's only 3 a night (I paid 3. 50 to camp in the middle of Worcester race course back in 1985!)

Thanks Martin, I loved it.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sasara0 14 reviews from this member

A lovely little basic campsite. This is no frills camping which we love. The field is on a very slight slope and has wonderful views. Cars are not allowed onto the field. We found it to be a very quiet campsite. There is a tap in the field and some bins. There is only one toilet and this was clean and stocked with loo roll. The pub is less than a minutes walk away which sells really nice beers, ciders and lager at reasonable prices. The pub serves food but we had a BBQ so we didn't try it. The food prices seemed reasonable and there were tourists and local people dining.

At 3 per person to camp this is more than excellent value for money and we will definitely return. Thank you to the owners.

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: James breslin 3 reviews from this member

We came onto UKCampsite.co.uk looking for somewhere cheap n cheerful for the weekend. And came across helwith campsite. Some reviews poor some good. We rang and spoke to the owner who made it perfectly clear it was a field with a tap. And a toilet was available adjoining the pub next door. As we do a lot of walking it was ideal and we were clear about what was there. We arrived friday and was met by the owner who was happy to have a chat about the field and rule for dogs. We have 2. I have to say no glamping it does what it says on the tin. Spot on were happy with our weekend thank you. We called into the helwith pub and everyone briefly chatted dogs very welcome do good food

We ended up staying for a few more. Well done for such a friendly group of people to the exceptional landlord and landlady we will be back. There is no local shop settle is 5 miles away but the views are beautiful.

Previous     15 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in North Yorkshire   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018
Advanced booking discount plus we have 15 pairs of tickets to give away ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

Coming Soon!

24 Daily Prizes worth up to 100 and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth 500!
Get an Email