Visitor Reviews - Thorntonloch Caravan Park

Thorntonloch Caravan Park
Innerwick
Dunbar
Lothian   (Browse area)
EH42 1QS   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  5m 5m  5m   5m  1m

Pitches: 20 (10 touring+10 tent)
Open: 1st March To End Of October

Reviews:  13 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Reviewer: Crainneag 8 reviews from this member

We wanted a quiet site not far from home for a few days break and picked this site as it doesn't have a club and is by the beach.

Our internet enquiry was responded to quickly and we paid our deposit by PayPal.

On arrival we were greeted and offered the choice of two pitches, we chose one nearest the caravan park with moderate views of the sea, interrupted by a few vans. The site is level and the grass is kept short, pegging out wasn't easy due to the limited soil depth but they all held.

The tent field doubles as the car park for the tourers so there is only room for 6 or so tents at any one time. The site was very quiet when we visited mid week.

The toilet/shower facilities were excellent, very modern, clean and with lashings of hot water, the showers are free and not timed. There is a wetsuit sluicing basin outside the main block.

There is a washing machine and tumble drier available, I don't know the cost as we were there for a few days only and didn't use them. There are no freezers available for freezing ice blocks and, whilst the warden froze them for us, she pointed out that it was in her personal freezer which I took to suggest that it was not the norm there to freeze blocks for campers.

The beach is accessed through gates at each end of the static caravan fields. It is superb with fine sand and, near the site and for some distance on each side, rock free. Walking south east takes you on to limestone pavement with some very interesting rock structures and impressive rock pools. Further along there is a sea cut archway but this needs good footwear and knowledge of the tides to investigate (a tide table is pinned up at the campsite).

To the north west is Torness nuclear power station, a large block structure which is shielded from tent field by trees. It is a bit of a blot but not enough to put us off the area.

Dunbar is 5 miles away, there is a supermarket and a variety of shops in the town, we parked free at the leisure centre. The harbour is worth a visit as is the town museum. Belhaven Brewery is in the town and, as well as brewing superb beers, it offers brewery tours, online booking is required.

If you are tempted to visit Doonhill and do not have a Landrover, tractor, hovercraft or helicopter then I wouldn't really bother, the road/track is atrocious.

Back to the campsite; On arrival we were presented with a welcome leaflet that detailed a long list of 'Do Nots', I have never experienced this at any other site and this is a negative factor; I have been to several sites that lack published rules and they worked fine and I expect this one would to.

I would recommend this site for mature campers or families with youngish children who are happy on the beach, older children/teens would probably find it to uninspiring unless they were into watersports; ball games, even in the large, central grass area are one of the 'Do Nots'.

Date of Visit: June 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Campbeg 6 reviews from this member

This is a nice campsite. Lovely views of the sea, but would not recommend it. Would take you all day to read the rules, only site I know where you cant sleep in inner tent in your awning or let your children play tennis because of no ball games rules. The amount of electricity supplied for price is unbelievable. The toilet block is very clean but freezing with no mats to stand on when coming out of shower so your feet are like ice. Got the impression if they could they would not have touring caravans or tents, only statics where everyone knew each other. Not very friendly to visitors.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Stevearty 7 reviews from this member

Bit of a mixed view on this site - to start with, Warning! If you have a big outfit, do not negotiate the gate, without removing the gatepost first, we didn't, because we didn't know it came out, and I now need to replace my wheelarch cover on my Conqueror 645, (not helped by the warden who watched me scrape it off, I have to say).

We liked the beach location especially for the dogs, 30 seconds to the waterfront. We didn't like the 'A' field spots with no outlook, but if you can get on the other field spots that look out over the beach then they are ok.

Facilities were fine, clean showers, well located grey water, fresh water and waste facilities. Some road noise due to proximity of the A1, and the odd train through the night, but not overly intrusive.

I find the 'no sleeping' in an awning rule slightly strange - If it affected me, I would've insisted on seeing the Fire Safety Certificate, which actually states that, as it is a rule I've never come across before!

We did not like the Nuclear Power Station next door, or more precisely my wife was terrified of it - I spent Friday night explaining how a Reactor creates electricity, which was fine, but I woke up around 0130hrs on the Sunday morning to find my wife in the lounge staring at a brightly lit power station working at full tilt for some reason, (picture lots of light, lots of steam, lots of noise etc), it took a lot for me to stop her hooking up and driving away there and then! (A reassuring, 'well if it blows, we won't know much about it' didn't help either).

Date of Visit: April 2012 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Firstclass67 34 reviews from this member

We have just had a lovely few days at this quiet site.

Plus points:

*very friendly wardens,

*fabulous views,

*access to beautiful dog-friendly beach from the site,

*fabulous views

*easy access from A1 but virtually no traffic noise as the site is in a dip and anyway the waves cover any other noise

*easy access to some lovely Scottish Heritage castles

*did I mention the fabulous view?

Neg points:

*the electricity is very low (5 amps) which meant we couldn't have the room heater on at the same time as the water heater, and we couldn't use our electric kettle at all.

*the loo block - access is by key, which is a pain when you are a family of four and your daughter has gone to the loo with it and your son needs to go as well - they would be better with a coded key pad system.

*showers - the block is unheated and they could do with mats both inside and outside the shower: inside because you have to step down into the shower tray and I slipped and nearly fell, and outside because the floor is unbelievably cold when you step back out again.

*You can put up a big awning to sit in, but for some strange reason you can't sleep it, which did not please my teenage daughter who likes to sleep outside the van in her tent with the dog.

We would go back and I would recommend this site to people who like a quiet site.

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: The Jug 7 reviews from this member

An excellent location, proximity to Dunbar for the shops etc and, of course the beach/fishing.

Despite the weather, we will be back as Peter and his wife were pro-active with our own issue where we were unfortunate to have the 'family from hell' neighbouring us but all was resolved quickly.

Toilets/showers on the tent field were, as reported by another member, were adequate yet better on the van fields which campers can access with their key.

Washing up area, showers and any need for hot water is very much dependent on if anyone is using the laundry as the washing machines consume all!

+ Points: Peter and Christina (not to forget to mention Cathy!), location, realistic camping fees and general 'ambience' of the site as a family camp site.

- Points: Disposal of rubbish? Where the skips could be located elsewhere and some lazy campers 'fly dumped'. Our originally booked pitch would have been an issue as it was directly next to the bins. A warden's 'tour of the site' @ 11. 00pm to ensure all was quiet, keys that worked first turn of the lock (always a challenge but certainly aids burglary skills!

The shop? Why so expensive and why is it only open at weekends at peak-time? Also, if you have Calor Gas, you need to refill at the Jet Garage north end of Dunbar. Not too much of a hassle perhaps.

This reads a lot of negatives, not so, as this is a great site and I understand that the toilet/shower blocks are to be upgraded even further.

We have no hesitation in either returning or recommending. We were unlucky with having selfish campers yet this was finally rectified. I rate this site 9/10 as even my selective wife would like to return and there is no higher recommendation than this, I can assure you!

Date of Visit: August 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Archers 1 review from this member

We stayed here for four nights. When we got there the warden was really helpful showing us to our pitch.

The site was clean with the exception of the shower and toilet block which was cleaned daily but was very aged so it looked grubby, the shower block adjacent to the caravan site is cleaner.

The bin area at the top of the field was overflowing and smelling a bit. The tents were really sheltered although the ground was hard to pitch on.

All that aside we had a really enjoyable time. The beach is lovely and clean and even better when the sun is shining.

Previous     13 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Lothian   -   Search for a site

Win a Sleepy - The Wearable Sleeping Bag! Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCampsite.co.uk Advent Calendar