Visitor Reviews - Gorsebank Camping Village

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > Scotland > Dumfries and Galloway > Site Reviews

Gorsebank Camping Village
Greenhill Farm
A710 Coast Road
Dalbeattie
Dumfries and Galloway   (Browse area)
DG54QT   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  5m  1m  5m  5m  5m  1m  1m

Units accepted:    Tents  No Caravans  No Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  12 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a £300 Prize Package including £100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Stevonatron 4 reviews from this member

My girlfriend and I have recently returned from a fantastic long weekend in Dumfries and Galloway. This despite regular downpours, alleviated by short spells of sunshine. The location of Gorsebank campsite is perfect for exploring the surrounding area, our favourite was the little nearby seaside town of Kippford, and Dalbeattie provides good shops and takeaways. We went to the gem museum 40mins away and visited Threave Castle as well as other lovely excursions. We'll definitely return to the area in the future.

So why the low score?

We stayed in a Landpod, located on a hill-top, identified on the website as 'Amazing Views'. Indeed the views are quite nice, but you're surrounded by Gorse bush which protects you from the wind but obscures most of the view. I joked that we need step ladders to see this amazing view.

But the main problem with our stay was that our Landpod had not been treated for water-proofing, so whenever it rained (and it rained a LOT), the contents within the tent got soaking wet - water was running down the inside of the canvas and drops of water were falling on us through the night.

Then there's the temperature. The Landpod had no inner-tent to provide insulation - so we were so cold through the night it was almost unbearable. Yes it is mid-April, but I've wild-camped mid-winter in my own tent and felt FAR more comfortable (and dry). This is a major design flaw by the pod producers.

Beside the tent is a wood-burning stove, which we found to be completely incompatible with our needs. We couldn't cook on it and by design, it didn't produce much heat for us (the heat is contained within the stove). Luckily I had brought my own gas cooker for meals, though we ate out most of the time to try and keep warm.

The men's showers flood due to poor drainage - so make sure to keep everything off the ground.

The other facilities were adequate.

So my first experience of 'glamping' turned out to be far more harsh than any rough camping I've enjoyed in the past. I'm sure the other pods provide a completely different experience with their wooden walls and internal heating/lighting, but I would advise caution if you consider staying in a Landpod. They're arguably torturous in the wrong conditions.

Date of Visit: January 2017 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Gennine88 1 review from this member

Just came back from a 3 night stay in bothy 1 with my fiancé and two young boys. We were a little concerned as it is only heated by a wood burning fire however we didn't need to worry as even in January it was more than warm enough. Shower/toilet block was spotless. The site is absolutely gorgeous! Owners could not do enough for us and were very pleasant and friendly. Will definitely be returning.

Date of Visit: October 2015 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Tedthebudgie 26 reviews from this member

Stayed in a timber tent for one night. £25 which was good value. However, be warned, the timber tent is the most basic option on the site - light, socket and small heater only; no bed or sleeping mat. All this is made clear when you book so no complaints. I took my inflatable mat which is superbly comfy in a tent on grass. However, on a hard wooden floor it gave for a very firm night's sleep! I've stayed in a good number of pods all over northern England and Scotland and this was the first without any form of bed or mat. Like I said, I was aware of this beforehand but wouldn't stay again without something thicker to sleep on.

Picnic table and fire pit outside. Male toilet block very clean with sufficient facilities. Two large male shower rooms which were basic but perfectly fine with lots of space.

Really good kitchen area with microwave and crockery. Very handy in the wet.

Superb view of the night sky when the clouds cleared!

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: JaneEd 1 review from this member

My girlfriend and I stayed in a Jumbo Pod which was spacious - outside had a fire pit and a picnic table. The womens showers were nice however the male showers were very basic. Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here and would definitely recommend.

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Raftguid1977 6 reviews from this member

We stayed in a timber tent.

Shower and toilets immaculately clean and free showers.

Kitchen and drying room real handy cooker kettle and some dishes for those who forget few tables to eat as group as well was spotless.

The owners were amazing (car broke down miles from nowhere got it sorted eventually over weekend)

Owners said we could stay past the 11 am leave time and use all facilities till we found out over the car that day. Which was muchly appreciated.

The site is in a amazing area for all outdoor sports.

7stanes mountain biking course is close with bike hire on the site.

Fishing lakes and fly fishing pond.

Few rivers grade 3/4 in area for kayaking.

Plenty of walks in the local and wider area.

Astronomy well galloway has dark skies I recommend Clatteringshaws visitor centre its got the best horizon view of the centres we visited and is something to view.

The timber tent was ok for 2 The firewood is only 3. 50 a bag (enough for a good night)

The pods and Bothy are nicely set out.

Very quiet site.

Cant wait for the next trip up.

I would advice to take basic foods as dalbeattie is nearest place great take out as well.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Petermara 5 reviews from this member

Just returned after spending three nights in a Wigwam. Excellent facilities, very well maintained and kept very clean. A tranquil setting yet so close to the road yet no traffic noise. The Wigwam was comfortable and the heating was more than enough. We stayed here because of its proximity to the Dalbeattie Trail centre, about 500 yards up the road. Excellent yet challenging Red Route. Also only 30 or so miles from Kirroughtrees Trail centre, another exciting Red Route.

Kippford close by with top rate food at The Anchor and with beautiful views along with nearby Rockcliffe. These places are as unspoilt as they were 40 years ago.

If you want the location but not the crowds then Gorsebank is well worth a try.

Previous     12 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win £300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Dumfries and Galloway   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth £49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018