Visitor Reviews - Camping Moulin De La Geneste

Camping Moulin De La Geneste
Moulin De La Geneste
Condat Sur Ganaveix
Limousin   (Browse area)
19140   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 00 33 555 98 90 08

5m  5m  5m  5m  5m   5m  5m

Pitches: 25 + 4 chalets + 2 bell tents + 3 mobile homes
Open: 1 April - 30 September

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Statics for Hire  Glamping

Reviews:  28 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: SharronBarber 1 review from this member

What a fantastic place to wind down! My partner and I do not have a great deal of time to unwind and relax at home so 'Moulin De La Geneste' was a great find.

Where to start?? The campsite is the best I have stayed at. The owners Sharron, Stephen and young Harvey were very welcoming and made our experience a very memorable one! They always had very helpful advice and great knowledge of their local town, its attractions, places to visit and general excursions around the surrounding towns villages and cities.

The campsite is an idyllic place to relax, situated in its very own wilderness, there is always something to see and look at whether you are venturing out for a walk or simply want to relax and read a book down by the lake. There is plenty of activities for the family as well as for the adults. My partner and I always found ourselves having a game of ping pong and badminton. Although not much of a swimmer myself, it was nice to relax on the jetty and watch my boyfriend swim and play around on the boat in the lake.

The Owners Sharron and Steve have their very own little animal farm going on situated at the very bottom of the campsite which is fantastic for the kids. Ponies, goats, pigs, sheep and chickens all make for an interesting walk and visit for the kids.

The campsite itself was very clean, all shower blocks and toilets were maintained and kept clean on a regular basis and very pleasant to use.

We opted to stay in the wooden chalet of which I believe we were the first guests to do so. WOW

WOW WOW WOW! not only are these chalets attractive but an incredibly comfortable place to stay! we had our very own private area and decking to enjoy breakfast on. Breakfast was cooked inside as the chalets boast there very own little living areas and kitchen as well as somewhere for the kids to sleep. I would strongly recommend these for a stay! the chalet is built by the owner Stephen and you can see his passion and talent in his joinery and furniture making not only in the chalets but all over the campsite.

We are very delighted to have booked to return later on in the summer and cannot wait to enjoy some of the local wine in the sun again.

Thanks for an enjoyable stay Sharron, Steve and Harvey,

We will see you soon :)

Reviewer: LuckyNo13 3 reviews from this member

What can I say but wonderful!

We only spent four days here, but I wish we could have stayed longer.

The site is child heaven, set in woodland, with a lovely playground, fairy woods, a river for splashing in, a lake with boats to borrow (not pay to hire) and nature in abundance.

I was worried about the lack of pool on the site, but I shouldn't have, because the swimming lakes nearby at Masseret and Seilhac are fantastic, with lovely beaches, clear waters and they are generally warmer than many of the pools we went to after this site.

Sharron and Steve are lovely and very hard working. Nothing was too much trouble and when we needed something they were amazingly helpful and kind.

Their honesty shop is great and Sharron even delivers the morning bread to your pitch if you order the night before.

Out pitch was nice and shady and marked by trees and bushes. It was long enough for our tent and extension, with plenty of room in front to play and park the car too.

It was quiet and peaceful at night - the perfect get away from it all.

It's hard to find any negatives, but if you shower late then the water is cold, but that's what you expect for being late!

The showers were always clean and we along with everyone else cleaned up afterwards. It wasn't requested, everyone just did.

There is also a fridge to store food, a BBQ to use and many more things I have probably forgotten!

We will definitely return.

If you are reading this Sharron - thank you for a lovely start to our holiday.

Reviewer: Familybousfield 4 reviews from this member

Really, really liked it here.

Upon arrival Sharon welcomed us with a smile and was always happy to offer help at any time.

Our kids loved it, we had just spent 4 days at a site with a pool and were worried the lack of pool would be an issue but not at all. Kids were happy running all over the grounds and playing in the fairy garden.

On top of being a nice site it is well located for discovering the surrounding areas, particularly the inland beaches, of which there are plenty. Just ask Sharon or Steve (I think) and they will point you in the right direction.

Only issue (and it is a minor one) is that hot water was not in abundance so pick your shower time carefully.

Would return and certainly recommend

Reviewer: M4rtfax 1 review from this member

Well this is an easy site to review. It is an absolute cracker! The owners are brilliant, obliging, welcoming and friendly. We had 14 nights at this site, mainly because it was such a fabulous place and we had such a relaxing time.

Being holiday deprived teachers with a return to work lined up tomorrow I am going to keep this review short and simple. This is easily in our top 3 French sites and we have stayed at over 70 all over France!

Steve and Sharron are terrific. Just because we hail from Halifax as well doesn't mean we got special favours. I think they just genuinely want to make the camping experience for all guests a top notch experience. Steve's joinery is great and is evidenced all over the site. Sharron is the techie one I guess and she rustles up a very palateable curry. 25 Euros a night for a family of 5 (all adults with electric hook up) was very good value.

The fishing was good fun, though I'm only a novice. I caught fish every time I rodded and I guess in a few years there will be some woppers there. My kids loved the grafitti bridge and hammocking in the shade. The large sit down chess sets were brilliant fun.

When we raised a minor issue of limited hooks in the showers, they were sorted straight away. Other things like courtesy loo roll and hand wash was a welcome touch. They even host a vide grenier (car boot sale): today coincidently. Don't hold your breath though on bargains there: french boot sales are a rip off and full of old tut. But a great cultural experience.

Will we return: you bet. What a find. Nice one Sharron and Steve. Good luck with the developments over the next year.

Reviewer: MrsClemo 1 review from this member

My husband and I and our 5 and 3 year old boys have recently (sadly) returned home from a 10 stay at the campsite and I find myself saying every day 'I wish it were two weeks ago and we had just started our stay' or 'a week ago we were just having the donkey delivered'! (More on that later. )

When we arrived from our long journey (we did Kent to La Geneste in one hit - the roads are easy, but you can get caught up around Paris, so go the Rouen route to avoid this), we received the most friendly welcome from Sharron, were greeted by name which was lovely, and shown to our reserved pitch. Sharron knew we had children and a relatively large tent so had picked a spot close to the shower and toilet block and under the shade of two lovely big trees so we wouldn't get blasted by the sun all day.

I must admit to my first thoughts being that although the site looked lovely and green and there was definitely a friendly and peaceful atmosphere, I couldn't quite understand why the reviews were as amazing as they were. I was to discover the reasons over my stay!

Sharron and Steve work tirelessly to make their campsite as friendly (not just from their welcome, but also the other campers on site) and as hospitable a place as it is possible to stay. I don't need to talk about all the things to do around the campsite (pure heaven for two little boys that love to go on their own adventures) and in the local area, of which there is an endless list, as other reviews have covered that, but do need to say how the owners go so far above and beyond just running their site as a business, but genuinely want their visitors to enjoy their time away from home as much as it is possible and for everyone to become friends - it really is a very special place. There are no rules at all here, which I think made the guests more conscientious about things - no one took the micky with the hot water, everyone mopped the floors after their showers, cleaned the sinks after their washing up and even more importantly just spent time with their families - we made friends with the other guests that had children of similar ages to ours, and we'd all end up playing with them down at the lake, or if someone was busy, another parent would take a group off for a walk round the lake, or to feed the pigs or to do some fishing. The campsite had the most amazing feeling of safety for the kiddies and you knew that if they disappeared from your sight for a while (and mine regularly did!) it was because they'd found a friend and were playing with them somewhere in the 10 acres. Those of you with children will know, that a happy child makes for a happy parent on holiday!

A couple of things to recommend - on a Friday evening in the summer, Uzerche has a food market which is DEFINITELY worth visiting. Local producers bring their wares which you can buy and then for 1 buy a plate, cutlery and plastic cup and take your food (particularly notably a river trout and some delicious duck and fig kebabs amongst other things in our case) to the BBQ area where some jolly men will cook them for you. Amazing! It seemed the whole town arrived to enjoy the evening, from very young to very old and with musicians playing made for one of the most memorable evenings. It was quite telling, that the campers from La Geneste all ended up sitting together - more proof of the wonderfully friendly atmosphere of the campsite and that Sharron, Steve and Harvey managed to make it down to the market too as they said they knew virtually the whole campsite had gone down there. It was nice to see them enjoying time away from their campsite, rather than just doing things to make us visitors enjoy ourselves (even if it did end up with Sharron driving people back to the campsite when we found out the taxis had stopped running!).

Also, on a Wednesday Sharron spends the whole day rustling up the most amazing 3 course curry. They have a limited number of guests, 18 in our case, for dinner on the drive outside their lovely home on the site, which was a great opportunity to sit down, not have to cook yourselves and chat to the other guests and question Sharron and Steve about anything and everything, while their son Harvey entertained all the children on his 160 year old wooden cart! Sharron is a fantastic cook and it was 12 well spent for us - her onion bhaji's are without doubt the best I have ever tasted.

It was while we were at the curry night that another guest mentioned they hired a donkey, so with that Sharron makes a phone call for us and for 30 we have Rodeo delivered to the campsite for us to take care of for the next 4 hours! She was a beautiful 8 year old donkey that our two boys could ride and lead around the local footpaths and the campsite. Very docile and placid - I guess she needed to be with two excited boys hopping about around her, and made for an afternoon to remember for all of us. I'm not sure that in the UK you could just be 'given' a donkey for an afternoon!

We were lucky enough to be here during the annual meteor shower too and with no light pollution had the most amazing views of the night sky - the shooting stars just added to the magical feel of this campsite. We used to put the boys to bed in the evening, grab a bottle or two of red wine and some other campers and head down to the communal bbq area, pull the bench out from under the giant umbrella (yes, Steve, Sharron - it was us that kept moving it!) and sit and watch the stars flying past - simply bliss, safe in the knowledge that we could still see and hear our tent should our boys stir from their slumber (something they didn't really do, as they had spent the entire day running around, feeding goats, stroking rabbits, catching fish and rowing one of the boats out on the lake and generally wearing themselves out).

Just these few short lines cannot convey all the positive feelings I have about this campsite, and although the toilets and showers are slightly dated (do not be deterred, they are very clean), that is the ONLY point I have to raise as anything that could be even slightly improved, but given Sharron and Steve's constant work (albeit apparently effortless - not sure how they managed it!), I know the campsite is still a work in progress for them, so will be improved in years to come.

Writing this review has made me relive all these times and think 'I wish it were a week ago. '

We'll be back next year (or next month if I had my way).

Caroline, Steve, Theo & Toby

Reviewer: JimClews 2 reviews from this member

We just returned from an idyllic week with friends at Moulin De La Geneste.

From the first friendly greeting (the warmest greeting at any campsite I've stayed at, UK, Italy, France, South Africa) to the departure, Steve and Sharron were perfect hosts. The site itself is shady and terraced, with lots of privacy.

The whole site is massive, but with just over 25 pitches a couple of static vans, two yurts and some chalets it's not at all crowded and there's acres of space to explore - paths though the woods, a play area and chickens, goats, rabbits and sheep. There's a large lake with boats provided and we had some good fish out of it too, although some life jackets to go with the boats/canoes would be a good addition.

There's an honesty shop providing drinks, ice creams and other items and daily bread/pastry delivery in the morning (except Monday) which was delicious - the white Pain is exceptional. The washing up block has lots of sinks, a free fridge and a washing machine (3 per wash) and freezer blocks can be re-frozen in the ice cream fridge in reception.

The unisex toilet block was kept clean, although there were times of no hot water which is pretty normal in my experience and not a problem once you avoid the busy morning rush.

The local town, Uzerche is a 15 minute drive away and is very picturesque as well as having supermarkets, bars and restaurants (we dined at Le Charmant which was excellent and good value at 17. 50 for a 3 course set menu - the Confit de Canard was amazing).

Our kids wanted to go horse riding and LES ECURIES DE LA VEZERE is a 30 minute drive away, Ghyslain couldn't have been more accommodating, is a great teacher and obviously loves his work. The girls had a brilliant ride - you will need to speak French a little although his English is better than he thinks and great value at 32 for two kids on an hour trek.

This is easily the best site I've stayed at in France (and possibly world wide, some of the sea side sites in the Eastern Cape in South Africa were pretty special too!)

I'd recommend this site to anyone, and I will be telling my camping friends this is a must visit site!

Previous     28 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Limousin   -   Search for a site

Win a Wisport SilverFox 30L Rucksack Visit the UKCS shop for exclusive discounts and offers

UKCS Meet Tribfest Music Festival 14/08 to 17/08 East Yorkshire
An affordable, fantastic weekend away listening to some great live Top tribute bands. Claim discounted entry!!