Visitor Reviews - Tyddyn Du Campsite

Tyddyn Du Campsite
Bontddu
Dolgellau
Gwynedd   (Browse area)
LL40 2UA   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

5m  1m  1m  1m

Open: March To November

Reviews:  14 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!
Sponsored by Ordnance SurveyWin a 300 Prize Package including 100 of Amazon vouchers, courtesy of our sponsor Ordnance Survey If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Further info and prize details here

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: GoalPostHead 2 reviews from this member

What a great site. Camp fires on the floor, farmer sells bags of wood for 4 each and delivers plus allows you to pick up dead fall from the nearby woods.

Showers and toilet block - basic but clean.

Great location to visit Barmouth.

If you want a proper camping experience I would recommend and will go back myself.

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Jewsack 2 reviews from this member

Yeah, so my first review. This is absolutely my type of campsite, basic but very clean facilities, the owner buggers off and leaves you to it once you've paid. I saw him 3 times over my 3 nights. Fantastic location, really quiet. The showers as mentioned were great, not often you get on tap water to enjoy. 10 minutes drive to supermarkets in 2 directions. Surprised not to see the midges mentioned, take insect repellent and/or citronella and you'll be fine. I'll definitely go back.

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: NTP1 6 reviews from this member

This is now in our top 3 campsites. It is in a stunning location with views that are breathtaking

It is back to basics proper camping.

The facilities are basic but clean, the owner is very helpful, the pitches are excellent and flat and the scenery magnificent.

There are woods accessed from the site and these lead to river which can be crossed and then a footpath follows to the estuary which can be walked at low tide. Be careful as the tide can rise quickly though.

Real campfires every night, the owner will sell you bags of logs and you can get your own wood from the surrounding woods for smaller stuff to get it going.

The pub nearby (under 10 mins walk) is good with local real ale and good food in the evenings.

Recommend shell island as a day trip. Miles of beaches and sand dunes.

I was told midges can be a problem but it was very windy all week we were there so no issue for us.

We camped in the lower field near the estuary, but be careful as it floods on high tide. The owner is very aware and will let you know if it is safe when you are there.

Really relaxed. Just turn up, pitch and enjoy

Date of Visit: July 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sairywairy 1 review from this member

Lovely location.

Right on the estuary.

Fairly basic facilities- 1 F and 1 M shower. However never had to wait. Although basic- always clean.

Local pub easy walk- serves basic pub food.

The bottom field floods when there is a high tide - check before you pitch, otherwise you might have to move like we did.

This site is really all about the location and the stunning views of the mountains

Date of Visit: May 2014 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Daveukleics 21 reviews from this member

Lovely site. Great views. Toilet shower block very nice. Wifi good but you have to pay for it. On arrival I was told straight away that I could take my pick up on site to unload and then I would have to bring it off site and park outside the barrier. It's not a works pick up or even used for work, it's covered in at the back with no sign writing.

I was told it was for insurance purposes. Never been told that in the last 6 years of vanning.

We were escorted to our pitch and before I got out the groundsman was unhitching the van, he quickly spun it around towards the pitch which was at a steep angle, he continued to roll it into position when I heard a bang, I looked at the back of the van and one of the stabiliser feet had snapped off where the van had dropped off the edge of the road onto the grass. On closer inspection I realized it had cracked the corner of the van about 80mm long. They did replace the feet but if this had not taken the full force of the impact it would have definitely ripped the corner of the van off.

Our pitch was very steep, that steep the back of the van was touching the floor and could not drain my waste water into the hog.

I could not get the awning poles inside as one end was off the floor and the other was too low. Luckily it did not rain whilst we were there or it would have filled with water as it was in a dip.

If you get windy weather there be very very aware of your awning, .

The site views are lovely. Most of the pitches are level ish buts lots are not. Seasonal vans are literally 4ft in the air on blocks in places.

The site is well kept with lots of flowers and mown lawns.

The beach close by is ok but not the best, it's ok for walking dogs but you would not want to set a blanket and chairs up there. There is a pub just out of the gates.

I would not return due to how most of the pitches are and the fear of hitting a windy period but this is a nice site.

Date of Visit: April 2013 Unit:  Static Rating:
Reviewer: Luscombe 1 review from this member

Absolutely amazing views. The feeling of space is tremendous.

You can walk the hills, swim in the rivers, eat by the campfire. If you want to relax, then this is the way to go.

Facilities are fine. It's a place with a chilled atmosphere and enough room to suit those who love the outdoors life.

Local facilities include Coed Y Brenin, a nice beach at Barmouth and good cycle paths. A climb to the peak of nearby Cader Idris is recommended.

Previous     14 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Write your own Review for a chance to Win 300 of Prizes!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Gwynedd   -   Search for a site

Win 3 AutoSock car snowsock sets worth 49.95+ each Win an OLPRO Caravan Cover in your size

UKCS Meet Manchester Caravan & Motorhome Show 18 to 21 January 2018
Advanced booking discount plus we have 15 pairs of tickets to give away ...more

UKCampsite.co.uk

Coming Soon!

24 Daily Prizes worth up to 100 and a Christmas Day Star Prize worth 500!
Get an Email