Visitor Reviews - Conifer Lake Caravan And Camping Site With Fishing

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North East > York > Site Reviews

Conifer Lake Caravan And Camping Site With Fishing
Allerthorpe
York
York   (Browse area)
YO42 4RL   See Map                                 Share Google Plus  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook
Tel: 07568 546682  or  07766 821836

5m  1m  1m 1m  5m   5m

Units accepted:    Tents  Caravans  Motorhomes  Glamping

Reviews:  59 in total, now showing 1 to 6                 Previous 6          Next 6
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10

Submit your own Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of this site for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Date of Visit: June 2015 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Bobman 6 reviews from this member

Sorry to be boring, but another 10 star review for Conifer Lake.

Having had a bad back at the start of my weeks holiday I was fed up because I thought I wouldn't get away camping. Then I remembered the cabins at Conifer lake, I thought we would be able to just turn up with some food and bedding and that would be it. And it was!

We arrived early on Sunday afternoon, having easily followed the directions and were immediately in love with the location. We got settled into Squirrel cabin in a couple of minutes and were straight out exploring. The lake was gorgeous and the surrounding trees made it very sheltered and relaxing. The birdlife was varied, and as we found out early next morning, very noisy!

Having spotted the Plough pub on the way in we toddled off there for an enjoyable hour sat outside in the sunshine before heading back to camp for our meal, sat outside in the lovely warm evening with a bottle of wine.

Spencer the dog loved the walks, being a lurcher he was on full alert for his 11pm walk, he had his nose in everywhere, sniffing out the rabbits. When the dawn chorus woke him up at 3. 30 I bit the bullet and took him out again. I would recommend this to anyone, walking round the lake just before it was light was truly enchanting. There was nothing but birdsong, the dew on the grass made it look like the whole site had just been washed, and Spencer couldn't believe how many rabbits there were in the camping field.

During a hailstorm on Monday morning we were very cozy in our cabin and we thought that with a bit of improvisation with the eating arrangements you could easily manage during the winter months.

The afternoon was spent exploring the coast and countryside of the East Riding before heading back to camp. The petrol station service as Allerthorpe are just 2 miles away if you need any essntial supplies. Having forgotten to bring my fishing tackle I was lucky to borrow some from another camper and had a very enjoyable couple of hours, eventually catching, amongst others, a beautiful white koi carp off the surface. All the excercise and walks must have worn Spencer out because he didn't stir all night and we enjoyed a lovely lie in.

There weren't a great number of other campers, but everyone we met, especially Allison and Graham were lovely, and the facilities were spotless and adequate for the size of the campsite.

We had yet another walk around before we left with a heavy heart to go back to reality. We will be back, either in the tent or one of the cabins, which may be extended at the end of the season. We have been recommending the site to family and friends, well, at least the ones who would appreciate the tranquillity of the site.

Don't visit the site if you need loud music, bars, wifi and swimming pools, but if you like to sit back, relax and be constantly surprised by all the little quirky details then put Conifer lake on your 'to do' list.

Date of Visit: February 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Mucker1884 19 reviews from this member

(Couple - late 40's/early 50's - look for peace, quiet and tranquillity, but with a few mod cons).

Stayed 2 nights - Fri 27/2 to Sun 1/3.

This is our 4th visit to this site, and our third review.

Having just checked, all comments made in my previous review, from January 2014, still stand.

For the record, we were the only tent on site. There was one touring caravan, and it appeared that about 4 or 5 seasonal's were preparing themselves for the onrushing season.

As an update, there are a few changes around site, mostly minimal, and certainly none offensive!

First off, they are obviously continuing to remain busy!

Lots of trees around the lake continue to be well lopped, and it now seems that the wind can get at the water, and give it a bit of a stir. Apparently, these fisherman types like that, so I presume that's a positive!

New flower beds, some done, some being done at the time of our visit.

The most noticeable difference, for those familiar with the site, is the disappearance of 'The middle island'. We camped in there on our first visit. Basically an almost private/exclusive pitch, surrounded by low trees and shrubbery, but without the added benefit of EHU. Well, those trees and shrubs have now gone. Their potholes topped up with soil, and the surface grassed to blend in, so in effect, opening the whole field up. Whether they plan to allow non EHU units there, or now plan to keep all pitches to the outside edge, with this new open space in front, I don't know. Should have asked. Sorry!

Another noticeable difference was the lack of chickens/hens/cockerels or whatever they were (Can you tell I'm not from round these parts!) As in, there were none. Again, I didn't ask, so I've no idea whether they have gone for good, or whether chickens even hibernate, and will return when the sun comes out! I doubt that, as they were there 13 months ago! Their coops are still there though, on the same island in the middle of the lake!

It also appears that their website now states 'Adult only. No children', as opposed to the previous rule of 'No under 12's'.

If opinions count for anything, I'd now say they have enough mannequins/animal statue doodahs etc, and need to be careful of not overdoing it. 'Quirky' is great, 'Tacky' not so! Just my personal opinion, of course.

All the other stuff remains absolutely brilliant. Someone is being very artistic with the natural products, be that benches cut from chopped down trees, sliced logs for new peg number plates for the fishy-folk, or the massive, medium, and small home made insect hotels ( I had to google that. I had no idea there was such a thing, and thought it was just 'modern art'!)

Some of this is also for sale, if you fancy similar in your own garden.

The loo's/showers are still spotlessly clean, of course, and well stocked (Ooh, the soap dispensers are now fixed to the wall, rather than the (more than acceptable) off-the-supermarket-shelf type), and they still put the heating on in there for you, if you go at this time of year.

Again, as a personal preference, I'd say I'd like paper towels in there, and/or a blower, rather than a shared proper hand towel (We take our own in there, rather than share). I appreciate you then need to rely on folk (i. E. You and me!) putting them in the bin, rather than on the floor!

Always hot water. Never run out of soap/loo roll. Always a mop and bucket to do the decent thing, and wipe the floor on your way out!

The extremely pleasant, if not too short, walk around the fishing lake remains a post tea-time must.

The local village still has a pub. The local town still has pubs, takeaways, and shops/supermarket. And is still just a hop in the car away.

The seaside is still over to the right, just by the coast.

Back on site, the ground still holds out well on wet winter weekends, and again remains puddle-free throughout. And the prices still remain competitive at worst, and at this time of year, in a tent, still the cheapest we have paid, anywhere, any time. Hoorah for winter rates!

The booking in remains painless and informal (By phone, 2 days before arrival). The owners (We're not allowed to name names on here!) are still friendly, helpful, and approachable, when called upon, but if you want solitude, they're more than happy to leave you alone. We like that!

Being the busy type, I doubt we'll get back there this summer, or maybe even this year, but be back we will. Almost certainly Jan/Feb time next year, so I guess, we'll see you then.

Thanks for a wonderful site, and thanks for letting us stay.

Date of Visit: January 2015 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Bloomooning 6 reviews from this member

Fantastic site stayed in one of the cosy cabins for a change, really enjoyed it close to all major shops 10 mins drive. Toilets spotless campsite is well thought out with a touch of quirkiness, a credit to the owners who are very friendly and accommodating. Nice walk round the lake would definitely recommend

Date of Visit: October 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: Fermec 8 reviews from this member

Our second visit here this year, we came here in June and stayed in a Cozy Cabin for 2 nights, we enjoyed it that much we came again end of October into November for 6 nights and really enjoyed ourselves

We do a lot of camping and I have got to say this is the best site we have been on and we have been to a lot, Graham and Alison who own the site are very friendly and down to earth and have given the site there personal touch, the site is geared up for anglers (I got some nice carp) but you don't have to be into fishing to enjoy the site, the toilet / shower block is spotless there are washing up facilities and also a washing machine and drier that can be used at a small cost, and there is also use of a fridge freezer on site.

There is a gate at the back of the site which leads to a short walk to the local pub where the food is excellent, nearby is the local village Pocklington where there are many shops pubs takeaways and a Aldi and Sainsbury's.

All in All this is the best site and we will be back next Summer.

Pete & Anne

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Other Rating:
Reviewer: 40metreman55 2 reviews from this member

Just had a fantastic three night break at this gorgeous site. The Cozy Cabin was outstanding, you only need to take your food, clothes and bedding. Everything else is provided. The shower/toilet block was extremely well looked after, spotlessly clean and the showers are hot and powerful. The site is an anglers dream. Well marked pegs and some big carp. There is a gate at the back of the site that allows you to cut off a huge corner on the walk to the pub in Allerthorpe (The Plough) where you can get good food and real ales. We wanted to scope out the camping pitches for next year, they are quite large, most with EHU and all nice flat grass. We'll definitely be back, again and again.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Owenconnor 5 reviews from this member

Excellent camp site, owners very friendly and prices are fantastic to what you can pay elsewhere. Would definitely return and recommend to anyone. No play park for kids but as we didn't take ours, didn't really affect. Seems more suited to adults. Very large pitches and all flat and we'll looked after. Not far from York

Previous     59 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 6      Next

Submit a Review for a chance to Win £100 of Amazon Vouchers
Win £100 of Amazon vouchersSubmit a review of any caravan park or campsite, for a chance to win. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win £100 of Amazon vouchers!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in York   -   Search for a site

Win a bundle of VARTA camping essentials worth over £100! Win a Festival Starter Pack, worth over £100!

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 20th – 23rd August
The world’s biggest tribute band music festival in East Yorkshire - PLUS exclusive 10% discount on tickets!