Visitor Reviews - Sandwich Leisure Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > Kent > Site Reviews

Sandwich Leisure Park
Woodnesborough Rd
Sandwich
Kent   (Browse area)
CT13 0AA

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 Statics for Hire   Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant <1 mile   Wifi Access
 Fishing <1 mile   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool <5 miles   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf <5 miles   Tennis
 Beach <10 miles   Watersports <10 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   Dog Walk

Reviews:  126 in total, now showing 101 to 110                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Peter bell 3 reviews from this member

I stayed here for 4 nights and I have mixed feelings about the place, I arrived at 2pm at reception, there was a note on the door "working on site ring Jim and a phone number", not quite the welcome I was hoping for, I rang Jim to be told he would be there in 5 Min's, when he arrived no welcome, I just seamed to be an inconvenience to him, he took my reg of the car but the security barrier would only read my car coming in and not going out so more phone calls to Jim to let me out, he said the tree was blocking the camera but he never cut it back while I was there.

I would have preferred the grass on my site not to have been cut as I spent time every day sweeping out masses of wet grass from inside the tent and the inside of my car. It is a pretty little site and the loos are very impressive and clean, but on all the occasions I visited them the hot water was luck warm not hot enough for a shower and the same in the washing up area.

There was a lot of building work going on while I was there put in new bases for caravans which got started at around 8am with a lot of noise. I am an early riser so it did not bother me, but if you like a lay in not good news. I work on a holiday park and all our building work takes place in the winter months !

The pitches are a very good size with nice planting and a picnic table which was a nice touch, I was on pitch 48 which is close to the railway line and there is a lot of train noise.

Friday night was the worse night when the week-end. Campers arrived with loads of kids riding around the site on bikes shouting there heads off until late in the evening.

There is a very good supermarket close to the park, all in all not bad

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bickmos 1 review from this member

This was my first visit to Sandwich Leisure Park. On arrival on Friday evening my first impression was that the site looked very clean and the reception building as attractive as the website photograph. The reception staff were very pleasant and we were booked in with no fuss. The security measures for cars entering and leaving the site were very impressive. The pitch was ample for our 6m X 7m tent and the two cars that brought our party of 4 adults, 4 children and a dog. The site was serviced with electric hook up and its own water supply and the ground was nice and flat for the erection of out tent. The toilet block was particularly impressive being in very good condition, warm and kept very clean. The showers were all working with a good pressure of hot water.
The first evening of the three that we booked we decided to find a take away in the town as it was quite late by the time we finished erecting the tent. The town is very close and has a supermarket, Pubs, fish and chip shop and a pizza and kebab shop. During the day there are many little shops in the many streets of the town. The staff in the shops I found to be very friendly and helpful.
The playground kept the children amused as well as the games that we could play on the large area of grass opposite our tent pitch. At night the site is well lit as each electric hook up point has a light on it.
I would certainly recommend this site to other users and will definitely return.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Jondy 2 reviews from this member

Liked this site last year.† All†OK†,†last year but they†would†not take†telephone†bookings†then.† This year there are new owners†(very friendly) and they†do take†telephone†bookings.††† Much upgrading has been going†on including†excellent security.†††Lots†more trees being planted and many bird boxes set in the trees†all†David Bellamy inspired stuff and all the better for it.† The pitches (lots of them with electric, water and drainage and a light are great) are sectioned off into 2 unit bays with planting around them. Shiny clean loos but shower head could not be adjusted downwards enough†I thought.†Wife said†hers was†OK, might be me?†††
This site is just a stroll from historic Sandwich. Plenty of old pubs and eating places even an old fashioned cinema.† A lovely walk if you turn right and follow the riverside walk along the former old town walls to the river Stour and harbourside etc.† Turn left over railway crossing to a good superstore, the town also has lots of shops.
This is amongst my personal favourites now.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Quechua 1 review from this member

Stayed here for 5 nights in total over the Easter bank holiday '07. (though originally planned & paid†for 6 nights). As this was our 1st camping experience we did not have much expectation except to have the basic amenities at hand. I have a mixed review of this campsite but overall I would rate it as okay. Firstly, Sandwich town itself is beautiful and has definitely added to our experience. Its nicely located so within easy driving distance to Margate, Dover, & Deal. Local co-op, pubs and shop are within walking distance. (no shop on-site)

Okay, so here are the pro's and con's of the camp site.

CON'S
Our first morning the shower's did NOT work. Water trickled out (if you were lucky) but in my case†I hardly had any!. Half naked with a toddler in tow I had to gather all my belongings and run in and out of 7 shower cubicles before accepting defeat and resorted to rinsing the shampoo off my hair by†pressing my head against the tiled wall under the shower to catch water trickling down! Toddler did not have a shower that morning as the water was†scorching hot for him to wash in.

Every pitch has electrical hook-up. On our very first night we experienced problems with this. We had prepared for the cold nights, and had brought with us our portable heater. With everyone else on the campsite trying to keep warm the electrics kept tripping. We didn't have electric the 1st night, and exactly the same happened the 2nd night. Complained to owners that our electrical hook-up point was faulty, he came to test it and said it was our hook-up cable that was faulty not their electrical points. We decided to hook up on another empty pitch as our cable was long enough and not to our surprise it worked!†So on our†3rd night†there on, we were†able to sleep more comfortably in the†warmth.†During our stay I saw no evidence of them†fixing our electrical hook-up point, so it would not surprise me if the next campers experience some sort of problems.

If you are hoping for a tranquil & quiet campsite then I do not think this would suit you. I can only base my opinion on our experience and in terms of quiet & relaxing, it did not meet our expectations. You will hear trains passing by as the campsite is located next to a train line, at night you will notice this along with faint road traffic noise and aircrafts above. The only pleasant noise "pollution" that didnt bother me was the church bells that sound 24hrs of the day at every hour. However, we soon got use to this and hardly noticed it after a while.

As†our stay was†before, during†and after the busy bank holiday period we were able to experience the campsite when it was busy and quiet. I was very disappointed and let down†with the owners because after the "busy" Easter long weekend rush was over diggers & other JCB machinery arrived where they started building work on the campsite. Obviously the noise of digging, drilling was not acceptable so this really spoilt it for us. We were not warned before hand that building work was going to take place. It wasn't pleasant because it was in view in front and behind our tent and the noise was constant. After this we decided to cut our stay short by 1 night as we were ready to go home.

PRO's (yes there are some good points)

Shower block kept clean (though do expect to see grass on floor of showers, etc). They have a family section where the whole family can be together (note: bigger cubicles but still only 1 shower in each)

Adequate washing up facilities

I think there was a laundry facility on site but we did not use this.

Nice playground for the kids.

Owners were helpful despite our electrical problems and even agreed to charge our light in their office so we could use it at night.

Pitch was grassy and fairly level.

Did not feel overlooked or over crowded, spacing of pitches were acceptable.

Other things to take note of:

Dogs are allowed on this camp site so be aware. We did not allow our young toddler to roam too far as our fellow campers had very territorial dogs and barked at anything and anyone that walked by. They were on leads but none the less this was intimidating for my children.

Use† of footballs†& bikes were allowed on this site which were in our favour as our kids were kept entertained. Though this may not suit some.

Overall our stay was enjoyable as we made the most of our situation. We ventured out on our bikes to Sandwich Bay and other towns which we found easily accessible from this site.

Would we come back here? Probably, but not anytime soon as we'd definitely like to see other places and experience other beautiful towns that England has to offer.

Date of Visit: April 2007 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Russinkent 3 reviews from this member

I have been to this site a great number of times and this time I was very disappointed. The site looked like it was half finished and part of the shower block was closed early evening.
There is a plus side the site is clean and tidy and there's plenty of room for your units On our stay there must have been a problem with the electric because every night apart from one the site lost power.

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Sbond219 4 reviews from this member

We Stayed here the August bank Holiday for a week. We were really looking forward to staying at this site as the reviews were really good and no one had a bad word to say about this site.
I will agree that it is ideally located for a walk into Sandwich which is a great little town with plenty of watering holes. But on the negative side We did not like how the pitches are set out as one unit is in front of another so your back window over looks the other caravans front window rather squashed. The toilet block well this busy period let them down as the shower blocks were rather a mess and the staff could not keep up and the blocks were always dirty so all in all we did not enjoy our stay The other plus I could mention is that it is not far from dover to go and get your cheap drink

Date of Visit: September 2006 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Greyfox 16 reviews from this member

Having just purchased our camper and not been camping for 20 or so years we were looking for somewhere fairly local to try it out before the end of the season. Following a recommendation and with the help of this web page we chose Sandwich leisure park. The staff were friendly, helpful and the pitches were well spaced out with water, TV and electric hook up.
Shower block was clean and well equipped. Sandwich town was close with plenty of places to have a meal and a pint.On the down side there was no camp shop to purchase things like milk or papers, but the local coop was very near if you don't mind paying a premium for your shopping.
If you go keep an eye out for OZ and†her sister,†the camp†kittens and make sure they† are not asleep in you van before you pack up to leave lol. All in all a nice site for a weekend break.
The east side of the site does back on to a branch line so trains do pass by and sometimes I heard the local church bells chiming every 15 minutes, all of which fade into the back ground after a while. If you want to completely avoid it park up in the northwest corner. Will definitely book a weekend there next year

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Mart.b. 2 reviews from this member

We have stayed at this park on a number of occasions and can only say good things. Nice level pitches with plenty of room , nice play area for the children and the toilet / shower blocks are second to none. The town centre is only a short walk along the river path, once in town there are pretty streets with a variety of shops and pubs. A bit further into town there is a mariner with a riverside bar/hotel. Site 9/10 Toilets / showers 10/10

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Fozncaz 4 reviews from this member

We went here purely on the basis of some of the reviews, and we were not disappointed. The camping area was flat and lush and well spaced pitches.The toilet/shower block has been one of the best we†have†ever seen. The village is a very pleasant stroll(5-10 mins)away and is very quaint and peaceful,ideal for a meal and a pint to relax.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Touring Caravan
Reviewer: Melbee 3 reviews from this member

We've just returned from a 3 night last minute break as we had a Baker day from school and it looked like good weather to try our 2nd hand caravan and awning for the first time. We have a 6 berth so 2 friends came along for the experience. The campsite is lovely and the facilities are great - however - The campsite has undergone a change in management and this is quite obvious to those that have camped before at this site. The bins were all overflowing by the time we left, and the campsite wasn't even half full, the toilets were clean although maintenance hasn't been kept up with things like descaling shower heads etc, and the greeting you receive at reception when booking in or asking any questions is far from warm!

Previous     126 Reviews in total, now showing 101 to 110      Next

Save to Virtual Brochure  Add this Site to your Virtual Brochure                                Share  Google Plus  Email Link  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Other sites within 10 miles   -    All Sites in Kent   -   Search for a site

Three sets of AutoSock Car Snow Socks to be won Win a Weeks Holiday at Stafford Moor Fishery

UKCS Meet Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show 19th to 24th Feb, NEC
See the latest ranges of motorhomes, caravans, holiday homes, tents, awnings and accessories ...more