Reviews of Waterside House Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > North West England > Lake District & Cumbria > Ullswater > Waterside House Campsite > Reviews

Waterside House Campsite
CA10 2NA

Share  Post on X / Twitter  Share on Facebook  Email

Open: 28/03/2024 to 01/11/2024

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 Glamping Units   Holiday Homes for Hire   No Statics for Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway On Site
 Fishing On Site   Wild Swimming On Site   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <1 mile   Cycle Hire On Site   No Golf   No Tennis
 Beach On Site   Watersports On Site   Boat Launch / Mooring On Site
 Sea Views   Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed
 Lakeside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  208 in total, now showing 181 to 190                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21

Write your own Review to win an Outdoor Revolution Screenhouse 4 and £150!

If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win an Outdoor Revolution Screenhouse 4 worth £299 AND £150 of Amazon vouchers. Leave as many reviews as you can for more chances - it only takes a few minutes

Reviewer: Sparklingdiamon 2 reviews from this member

Wecamped for just over a week andpitched right on the lake front, witha fabulous sunset most nights and a great view all day long. There is a public footpath that runs through the site to Pooley Bridge, so there are a few passers by and most of the campsite when they return from the pubs in the evening!
The site was wonderfully quiet and peaceful during the week, but was filled to bursting during the bank holiday weekend - no more than you'd expect I suppose, but it really did spoil the tranquility of the Lakes.
The toilets and showers were adequate, however it was a bit of a hike, or a car ride first thing in the morning if you were in the far field. ** OWNERS NOTE: Portaloos are now provided in the far field during busy times, on mains water and hot water They were cleaned after lunchtime, soafternoonshowering is amustif you like them to bespotless!
There is a small playground near the shop and a public telephone for outgoing calls only.
The lady in the shop was a bit grumbly for one reason or another. I mentioned that one of the freezer doors would not close properly, she said this was duetocampers putting in too many ice packs.
Overall, the lake and mountain views surpassed the overcrowding, so go when it's not a bank holiday and take a dinghy!

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Simontew 1 review from this member

Just got back from my first weekend away with a pair of 6-year-olds at this campsite (18th-20th May). I emailedWaterside first to check out whether I needed to book amongst other things, got a prompt friendly reply answering all my questions. I expected to arrive fairly late (got there a little after 9pm), and as per the email simply went and found a pitch and paid the following morning as the reception had closed by that time. This weekend wasn't particularly busy (I think the weather forecasts might have put people off) and Ifound a pretty flat pitch no problem. One of the pictures on their website shows what appears to be a long slope for pitching on. It seems to me that picture is deceptive, as most of the site seems pretty flat.
The weather on arrival was absolutely horrid, very strong winds and driving rain, and it carried on all through the night and into the next morning. I pitched next to adrainagechannelthrough which thewater wasflowingvery fast, and despite theawful weather,the system coped well anditdidn't turn into a mudbath, sowell doneWaterside.A couple of thepitchesright on thelakesidedid seem tobe waterlogged though, but more down to ruts in the grounds it seemed to me.
Given the amount of rain, the toilets wereabout asclean asyou could expect.Mud was coming infrom thefields(actually,more froma relatively shortsection fromthe fieldsacross partof the farmyard). I think that laying down somestone at this pointwould perhapshelpwith this. Thetoilets seemed to becleanedpretty regularly as far as I couldsee,but in the gents toiletsthey could do with putting in some(extra?) lightinginthearea farthest from the door.Didn't use theshowers, so can't comment, but there always seemed to be hot water in the toilets and for washing up,but the site was fairly quiet.Washing-up facilities are across fromtoilets and are covered-over but not indoor. Again, plenty of bins and sinks, plenty of hot water (scalding at times, so watch out), and all seemed pretty clean. The staff in the shop were friendly and the shop itself is pretty well-stocked food-wise and has stuff (toys, frisbees, fishing nets etc) for kids. There was also a separate catering 'wagon' adjacent to one of the fields which served hot food, though I didn't use it myself. The shop is also the place to hire a boat or canoe: they seem quite keen on safety for the stuff they hire out (by which I mean they take account of weather conditions as to what they'll allow, and have conditions on number of kids per adult in a canoe (1). There's a kids play area at the lakeside next to the toilet blocks, It's not huge but OK for a little while.
Thankfully, the weather improved, and we had a great Saturday (out and about) and Sunday (rowing boat, chilling and packing). I wouldvisit Waterside again.

Reviewer: Don Rose 3 reviews from this member

I turned up with my tent on my back. The reception was friendly and helpful. After reading the other reviews I felt that I had to say something. Whinge whinge you lot! Try PROPER camping. Leave the 3 piece suite and heaters at home.
This site was pretty good and quite cheap, compared to the other rip off in Pooley Bridge.
I'll be going back. Just hope I don't meet up with that moaning lot.

Reviewer: Cadmasa1 19 reviews from this member

First impressions not great when our reservation could not be found, the camp site was very busy and the staff could not cope with volume of people trying to book in . In the end we were told to just go and pitch - anywhere!. A very large camp site in an ideal location. A lot of the fields, many of which are uneven and not ideal for tents. The facilities are clean, but a long way to walk in the middle of the night. Not adequate for the number of campers on site (I would estimate approx 400 people and there's only 4 ladies showers!) Queues for showers in a morning were horrendous. A pleasant 10 minute walk to pooley bridge along the lake side. Nice enough if you are not fussy but I prefer a smaller site with a warm welcome!

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Trailer Tent
Reviewer: Driach 6 reviews from this member

Having just returned from this site ( August Bank Holiday weekend) I felt I must write in to counteract some of the negative comments written in previous reviews. Yes it was crowded (what else do you expect on a BH?) but not over crowded, we were on the third field where there was a massive space in the middle for our children to play. Yes there aren't enough showers - but you can survive for 3 days - being on the shores of Ullswater more than makes up for this. Yes at times there was noise from people chatting late at night but it was a holiday weekend - again, it's like that everywhere, at least there wasn't loud music pounding out (no electric).
The people in the shop were very polite despite the pressure of being very busy and the site was kept immaculate by constant rounds of collecting rubbish. There was always loo roll in the ladies! There is a great walk to Howtown, get the ferry back to pooley bridge. Will go again!

Reviewer: Alan Dykes 9 reviews from this member

The good thing about this site is its location by the lake. Apart from that it's somewhere between ordinary and poor.

It's a great base for walking or exploring Ullswater and that part of the lakes (Aira Force is a good walk within a short drive) but I came away slightly disillusioned for three reasons. Firstly, it is quite expensive - by the time you add in a car, gazebo, maybe an extra tent for the kids or whatever, you can easily be talking about twenty quid or more a night. Second, as others have said, the toilet facilities are inadequate. Either you camp near the toilet block and put up with the noise of the farm all night (cows mooing mainly) or you go to the far field where it is a walk of several minutes to the lavvy. Third, the grass was quite long which meant we all got wet feet when it rained. Fourth, the farmer came round in a tractor at 0845 and woke us all up.

Anyway, it's a busy site so other people seem to like it.

Date of Visit: August 2006 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Skillyb 7 reviews from this member

This site has a great position right on the shores of the lake and if you get a shore-side pitch the views are great. There is a pleasant walk along the lake to the pubs at Pooley Bridge. The staff were off-hand and disinterested - no explanation about facilities was offered when we arrived. We were charged extra for marking our pitch with a small tent when we moved our van. Were told to just 'find a pitch' and site was packed. Not enough showers for number of campers they pack in so had ages to wait for a shower and facilities were shabby. All facilities are by reception at the entrance to the site so it is a long walk to the loo. Might be OK out of season but in peak times would not recommend it.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Angietolo 1 review from this member

We visited this site a couple of weeks ago, just before the school holidays. Upon arrival the camp was very busy and we had to set up in the field farthest from the facilities. We found the site extremely noisy both on the week end and for a few days throughout the week due to a large youth group who were allowed to run around the field up to3.00 am. The staff who were with them did nothing to control them and furthermore neither did the site managers.

On the up - side when the site was quiet the facilities were ample and clean,with rubbish removed daily. We had a couple of quiet days and then Friday night came - what a nightmare! with the site owners obviously more money conscious than concerned about the quality of holiday the campers were having it was so crammed that people trying to drive off the site were accidently running over guy ropes. In future I would only visit this site mid week at quiet times of the year.

Date of Visit: July 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Emmanealy 2 reviews from this member

Spent my first family camping trip here and would recommend highly for location and setting. We were right on the lake with a Short walk into Pooley Bridge. Never had a pitch assigned so we were able to pitch all of our tents in circle (5 families) cowboy style. All the kids loved it because of the weather we swam in the lake twice a day and THIS WAS FANTASTIC! Some of our group said it was a tad expensive 36 for two nights 2 adult and 2 kids but I have nothing to compare it to so I don't know. Also they said the toilets / showers were OK but not great. Nice family Field and terrific location made up for anything. Would go again.

Date of Visit: May 2006 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: DizzyDi 1 review from this member

Whitsun BH weekend.

We went to Waterside farm at Ullswater at the weekend what a fab site (no EHU) but we pitched our tent about 50ft from the lake an absolutely amazing view when you wake up in the morning! The kids thoroughly enjoyed it, very safe there was a kiddies park, a tree swing over the lake, the showers and toilets were spotless and you could also hire canoes, boats etc.

On Sunday night we went down to the beach with a picnic and lit a campfire, we were there until about 11.30pm toasting marshmallows, a few cans it was very romantic and the kids also loved it, they were out on the lake with their wetsuits on. I must say this was an absolutely brilliant find and I would recommend it to anyone.

The site wasn't cramped just nice, kids all playing together we didn't want to come home, never mind my advice is if you want a site at Ullswater and aren't bothered about EHU go here it's absolute fab!

Previous     208 Reviews in total, now showing 181 to 190      Next

Share  Post on X / Twitter  Share on Facebook  Email

Write a Review of this Site to Win an Outdoor Revolution Prize and £150

Write a review of this campsite and you could win an Outdoor Revolution Screenhouse 4 worth £299 AND £150 of Amazon vouchers. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win! Leave as many as you can for more chances - submit your review here!

Outdoor Revolution strive to facilitate precious family leisure time by creating the most reliable, practical and exceptional value for money Family Tents, Caravan & Driveaway Awnings on the market, together with our endless vision for innovation and quality! Therefore, there has never been a better time to rediscover camping and caravanning with Outdoor Revolution!

Is Waterside House Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Waterside House Campsite?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Waterside House Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Ullswater      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game and Country Fair 27/04 to 28/04
All the fun of the Game and Country Fair taking place at Euston Estate near Thetford - you can even camp over for the weekend - enter our competition to win tickets Find out More

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2024

Play our
Easter Hunt

Easter Hunt

Follow the clues, find the answer, and win an amazing 12V and 240V 21.5" Full HD Smart WiFi TV with Satellite Decoder worth £399 provided by outdoor superstore Towsure!

Play Here