Reviews of Fisherground Campsite

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Eskdale > Fisherground Campsite Reviews

Fisherground Campsite
Fisherground Farm
Eskdale
(lake District)
Eskdale
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA19 1TF
Tel: 01946723723  or  01946723723

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: 01/03/2021 to 31/10/2021
           01/03/2022 to 31/10/2022

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <5 miles   Wild Swimming <1 mile   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire <5 miles   Golf <5 miles   No Tennis
 Beach <5 miles   Watersports <5 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport   No Dog Walk

Reviews:  217 in total, now showing 201 to 210                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22

Reviewer: Jonycoupster 6 reviews from this member

May 2005
Just got back from a fantastic weekend at Fisherground. A perfect campsite for the kids in a picturesque setting. The new owners make you feel very welcome and really look after the site.

My only complaint however was that although I expected it to be busy on the bank holiday the owners let far too may people onto the site. This was made worse by inconsiderate people camping inches away from your tent. If I wanted that I would have bought a Glastonbury ticket. The washing facilities are more than substantial but not for the amount of people there. The hot water in the showers had run out by 8am and they cost 50p (hot or cold). However, they were always very clean as the owners kept on top of the maintenance.

Campfires are allowed on site (which made my weekend) and you can buy bags of logs on site for £3. There is however plenty of wood in the adjacent woods. It is advisable to get to the site early as fires are only allowed in existing fire pits, but these are plentiful.

There is a decent pub, the George IV, about 5 minutes walk from the site but for a good meal the Brook House Inn in Boot was much better. This is about 20 minutes walk or a very short drive down the lane just past the Eskdale miniature rail station.

Reviewer: Lava Lamp 3 reviews from this member

May 2005
Basic campsite in wonderful surroundings.
No need to book for this one, but it does get very busy so ensure you get there early.
The new owners, who took over this season are very friendly and wander around the site at least twice a day chatting to everyone.
One of the best things is the fact that you are able to have a real camp fire, branches are plentiful along the perimeter of the camping field, so you just go up and drag a few back and the majority of the pitches have a fire pit.
Logs are available from the site at £3.50 per bag, but this is the only item that is sold. Thatís the only shortfall I found, it would be much improved if there was a small shop for essentials, such as bread and milk and the odd newspaper available.
There is a 20 minute walk to the nearest shop.
I recommend you take an axe to chop up any logs you may purchase, only because they are so big they struggle to stay alight, this resulted in me bringing mine home to burn on a coal fire, next time the axe will be with me!
The showers and dish washing area is spotless the water is very hot, and the bins are emptied several times a day, the owners work extremely hard to ensure the place is clean and tidy.
A ride on Lil Ratty, the miniature steam train along the track which runs along the top of the site is a lovely trip out and a great experience for kids, the cost for a ticket to Ravenglass is £8.40 for adults and £5 for children, I thought this was very expensive, though it does stop at the top of the site which is very convenient.
There are no phone signals in this area due to the surrounding hills.
The childrenís rafting lake is great fun and several changes of clothing are required each day Ė they canít keep out of the shallow water!

This is one site that I shall look forward to visiting again.

Reviewer: Eltdjl 2 reviews from this member

May 2005
An excellent campsite run by a dedicated couple. Brilliant if you've got kids, although with kids you'll need to pack a lot of changes of clothes as the adventure park is right next to a big murky pond (you may find they spend some time in there!!).

Very busy site but, amenities stood up well due to the hard work of the owners who were consistently aparent during our stay. Field turns to mush in places when heavy rain falls so pick your spot wisely before you pitch.

Good for camp fires and 10:30pm noise rule was loosely followed (not regimented). Excellent minature railway adjacent. Post office shop not far in a car. Excellent washing up facilities.

A thoroughly good family stay!!

Reviewer: Kampcamper 1 review from this member

March 2005
My family and I visited this campsite over the Easter weeks (part in the Easter weekend and also before and after). We are a family of four, two adults and two children, a car, medium sized tent and gazebo. Our reviews are acurate and informative and written so that other families can get a good idea of what a campsite is like.
Why Fisherground then?

Fisherground is a lovely campsite in Eskdale, Cumbria. The facilities are very good and the new owners Mike and Alison are as keen as they come and ensure any problems are dealt with immediately. They also work every hour to maintain a wonderful clean site. The biggest bonus has to be that campfires are allowed in designated fire pits. You can't make your own but there are enough to go round even through peak season.

The peaceful location is great for walking, and though there is nothing commercialised for the kids on site (yeah!) a short drive away and you are in Cockermouth, Keswick, Coniston or Morcambe! We love this site because even at quieter times there are always a few kids for ours to play with and they generally amuse themselves. The kids love the wooden adventure playground which is set amongst the trees, over a small brook and raft pond (complete with rafts). The adventure playground has a zip wire, chain bridges, platforms, balance beams, rope swings, net walls etc. It is a little uneven on the ground due to exposed tree roots and we saw a few falls but nothing too serious. As long as you're aware, its fine. The only down side to this park is that you have to cross water to get to it, so it's best that children are accompanied as we all know even an inch of water can be extremely dangerous. Don't be put off though are there are enough pitches around the park area to be able to watch whilst at your tent.

The site comprises of two areas, a main circular field and another smaller area where the wash block, showers, loos and disposal points are. Facilities are really very good. There are six toilets for the women and I think four for the men and some urinals. Toilet roll is provided and never ran out even over Easter!!There are signs up saying not to burn the loo roll, so if this continues I think it will be a case of bring your own.

Showers: There are eight in total, four female, four male. They take a 50pence for about three minutes. Generally they are very warm to hot, but over the busier period they felt much cooler. I think it also depends on which you use and how the water is pumped from the boiler.
Washing sinks: There is ample washing facilities which have free running hot water but only two of these sinks have cold water for rinsing. Plenty of draining space.
Washer: A large commercial washing machine. It cost £1.50 for a wash and is generally good for a quick clean whilst your away.
Dryers: Take 50p. There are three and it will cost you about £1.00 to dry a small load. Dryer one is the best, though all do work fine.
Freezer: There is a chest freezer which you can freeze your ice packs, be sure to label your own and keep you eye on them, our friends lost theirs.
Iron and Ironing board: I never saw it used but there is an iron and board which I think again take 50p's.

There is a chemical disposal point, bins, water taps all round the site and also fire points with sand and extinguishers. Alison and Mike clean the washrooms at 7am 1pm and 7pm each day. The sign says "plus various other times". I think that in the week we were at Fisherground there was only a few times that I did not see them in the washroom. The toilets and showers are a marked improvement on last years cleanliness. We went last Sept for a weekend and I have to say I cringed at having a shower because they are situated in a breezblock building with a plastic roof and last year the roof was crawling with bugs, webs, and spiders, in fact the whole place was. This year I have to say I never saw one spider or bug the whole time. The new owners have swept, blasted, painted and really spruced the place up.

Over Easter there was over 170 pitches in use, so a lot of people using the facilities and despite this number of people the toilets and showers , sinks and wash facilities were never dirty. Ok a bit muddy underfoot, but NOT dirty. The owners were constantly cleaning, chatting, cleaning, emptying bins, cleaning, sweeping, mopping, cleaning..... they never stopped and that is the truth.

Fisherground has a the Ravenglass mini steam railway which runs along the top of the bottom field. It's worth a trip on it but it can be quite costly for a family. Your best to jump on the first train then jump on and off all day.
There is a pub about ten minutes walk, I promise it really is only ten minutes max. They have a non smoking area! Yeah!!! a nice beer garden, and are very friendly owners. I didn't see any play area for the kids though which would have been nice.
The post office in Eskdale Green (five mins in the car) 30 minutes each way on foot at least, sell camping equipment, clothing, groceries and of course postal items. They are open til 7pm most nights, but after this your nearest shop is the Texaco garage in Holmrook, about 10-15 minutes in a car.I think it is open til 10.

The campsite sells kindle and logs for the fires, £3.50 a bag for the logs, and the Texaco garage also sells logs. We found the local forester the cheapest at £2.50 a bag of logs and 50p a bag of kindle. As you are heading for Holmrook and the garage the foresters house in on the right. A small sign is just near his gate saying logs for sale.

Whats nearby?
Sellafield Visitors Centre, if you can pass on the contrversy, it is a great FREE day out. Very interactive and informative for the kids (and big kids too). The nearest amusements and commercialised kids stuff is in Silloth, basicall up the costal route as far as you get to the tip. Check your map. There is an arcade, paddle pool, childrens small fairgroud, beach, tea shop and it's quite a dainty town. Personally unless your desperate to spend your money, I wouldn't go. It took at least 45 mins+ in the car and all we did was spend, spend, spend.
Down the coastal route brings you to Morcambe, but again, there is not much there now unless your spending.
Seascale is pretty, if the weathers nice. Its about 10-15 mins in the car and theres a nice beach, rock pools, small park, shops and a Nat West bank. There is also a shop selling hardware and refills on Gas bottles.
Gosforth is quiet, a nice walk to Gosforth, but nothing for the kids, apart from the pies which have a yummy reputation.
We spent a day at the pencil museum in Keswick which was cheap but don't make a special trip there. Go if your in Keswick but other than that......
Cockermouth offers a Sheep and Wool centre which hides the Visitor information centre as well. I say hides because it was sold to us as the sheep and wool centre but other than the shop selling wool products and a few display boards, it is a centre about everything else in the area. The centre is free but you have to pay to watch the sheep show. We did, it was ok, the kids got to feed lambs and stroke the sheep. The centre has a restaurant and bar downstairs and the food is ok in quality and price.
The nearest hospital is in Whitehaven which has an A and E dept. The clinic in Cockermouth does not have a casulaty dept or Xray etc. My daughter broke her arm whilst we were camping and we were told by the sheep centre/info centre to go to the minor injuries unit at Cockermouth which we did, only to be sent to the Whitehaven hospital!!!!

Over all Fisherground is a fantastic site. Great if you are a family with kids who will entertain themselves, or a couple wanting peaceful walks. All in all a fabulous site with over keen owners, who really do never stop at all. I am reluctant to post this review as I want to keep the site to ourselves.

TIPS:
1) Take loads of 50pences.
2) DO NOT PUT more than one 50p in any machine as you still only get the time allowed for one. Wait until the first one has run out then add your other.
3)Take your wellies, especially for the kids. Then can paddle and play on the rafts.
4) Buy your logs outside of the area, at home, B and Q, better still go out log hunting with the kids! Its a conservation area, so don't pick or chop anyting down. You can burn anything that is already on the floor.
5) Take loads on newspaper and perhaps some firelighters if you want a fire, especially if it's wet.
6) No matter how high you hold your mobile, there is NO SIGNAL on site at all. There is a payphone over the road at the top of the feild. Find it in case you need it. The Wardens number is on the board near the loos. In case you need it.
7)In Peak season it's best toget there a day early and leave a day late to get thebest pitches and avoid the rush when packing.
8) Prices as of March 2005 are: Per adult £4, child £2.00, car £2.00 all per night. Visitors are charged also. The warden comes on site and collects money throughout the day and gives you a yellow ticket for your tent.
9)NO CARAVANS allowed. Tents, motor homes fine. BUT beware of the boggy bits, we saw loads of cars stranded in the soggy grass and had to be pushed off the feild. Time of season though!
10) finally, please, please respect the site rules. This is a lovely (mainly) family site which offers fab uncommercialised facilities. NO Groups, Dogs on leads AT ALL TIMES, NO unruly people, YOU MUST CLEAN UP AFTER YOUR SELF, NO Swearing, NO Smoking in toilets, shower rooms, etc.

I hope you found this review useful. I could tell you much more but it would be a really, really, long review then. Happy Kamping to you all!!!

Reviewer: The wilsons 1 review from this member

July 2004
Never been here before but had seen it from the train. We were delighted, especially as we could have a campfire.
We arrived on a Monday and it was quiet. It got busier as the week progressed and the weekends resembled Knebworth on a busy night so we would recommend Monday to Friday stays. Camp fire wood on sale in the village at a house - cheaper than the post office. We will probably take our own another time.
Kids paradise, we never saw our son but could hear him and the other kids doing what kids should do all playing together best of mates.
The pond is great, just wear pumps or something on the feet. The swings in the trees are never out of use and the ice cream man must be a millionaire with the amount of sales they make.
The dog meg is cock of the field and checks out every dog that visits.
Highlights are the train passing which the kids loveD and the fires. Take an axe to chop the wood and you will be very popular as everyone seemEd to forget about chopping wood.
Showers are acceptable but can get a bit muddy in bad weather. They are cleaned every day and the people who run the site are very friendly. We are going back for Easter.

Reviewer: Nicanders 7 reviews from this member

August 2004
This is a campsite on its own, I can understand why you don't see any caravans near this site. We have a trailer tent and it was a breathtaking ride to say the least! Its also on its own because I've never visited a campsite quite like it before.
_Good points_______
Campfires. The atmospere surrounded by the hills, entertainment by a group camping nearby with guitars, tambourines etc. Our family sat round a fire telling ghost stories.

Its very remote, we are a family who likes home comforts. This site taught us you don't need the telly, radio, mobile phones and also one night no electric!!

The pub down the road Gearge IV I think it was... that was the night with no electricity, then again we sat playing dominoes until the light failed and the husband had enough witches brew to sink a ship we gave up and went back to cook a pan of slop on the campfire.

The Downs
---------

Reading what I've just wrote I don't think there were any we had a great time.

Oh... there was spiders and cobwebs in the roof of the shower block so one smelly mum. Also if you have small children the play area is a bit dangerous I don't think health and safety venture this far. But it's great for older chidlren they can have so many adventures like we did when we were kids.

Reviewer: Polar69 4 reviews from this member

September 2004
Finally managed to get a break in the bad weather. The fisrt thing I will say about this site is "Follow the directions from the website" . Do not even attempt to come from Kendal and up Hardknot pass as unless you have a V8 Landrover you won't get up it. I tried in my 2 Litre Volvo and there was no way I would have got up with my clutch intact. The site itself is outstanding, large and spread out with no marked bays. The only real marking was the fire pits which got used when we played charades around them. The adventure playground is great for big and small kids and the pond is shallow enough for kids to paddle in. The showers and toilets are adequate and must have been clean enough as the wife did'nt complain.

As we went after the wettest summer I can remember the graound was sadly a bit of a quagmire in places but that cannot be helped, the only problem we had was getting tent pegs in as there seems to be a layer of cobbles about 3" under the surface.

Nice quiet site , friendly wardens and a pub down the road if it gets too grim. I will be returning as I promised the kids that next time they would be allowed on the rafts

Reviewer: Mikeybex 2 reviews from this member

August 2004
Come here as often as we can, every other weekend sometimes (when I have my daughter).
We wouldn't go anywhere else now, why should we go somewhere else when we already go to the BEST.
Excellent for kids and adults, good chillout time and the NO MESSING wardens/owners (karen and hubby) will have no back chat off young or old, or your kicked off site and rightly so! That makes it a nice site for every one then, with no louts (and yes these too can be over 55yrs, with no kids with them,)
Well done, very very good site.
Pros- everything about the site
Cons- none
Price- great but keep it that way,

Reviewer: Leannede3 1 review from this member

August 2004
This was our first visit to Fisherground after reading good reviews on the site.

We found the journey upto the site off the M6 extremely long (approx 1 hour from M6) and quite difficult in places as we were towing a trailer also, so not much room to turn around if needed as the lanes are very narrow. At some times you feel completely lost as there are very few signposts around and those that are generally weren't on our atlas map.

When you do eventually find the campsite, you literally feel that you are in the middle of nowhere. Although this is quite an advantage as the peace and quite and scenery are all worth the long laborious journey, you do have to travel a fair way to attractions in the vicinity, which all seem to take twice as long along the small lanes.

There is a small Post Office not too far away which is stocked quite adequately with all the essentials but can be quite expensive as you would expect and there is also a pub within walking distance which is comfortable with good food and ale, and a few more a short drive away left of the campsite.

The campsite itself provides great activities for the kids, whether it be rock climbing on the small rock mounds in the field, the activity park or the small paddling lake with tyre rafts, the kids always seem entertained. Great walks for all the family, most not too strenuous if you have small children with you and although expensive the railway is worth it.

Very tidy and clean campsite, toilets and showers are cleaned regularly with sinks, washing machine, dryers and freezer all available (freezer doesn't freeze too well, had ice packs in overnight and they were just about frozen). Midgies and wasps caused a nuisance, take plenty of bug spray and citronella candles. Very dark at night so a good bright lantern is needed.

Pro's :- Great fun for kids. No noise after 11pm a great advantage (and warden takes no messing). Showers, Toilets, sinks, washer, dryers and freezer. Seclusion.

Con's :- Awkward to get to and find. Midgies and wasps. When it's wet its a bog so beware (good idea to take a gazeebo or like if your tent isn't too big on living area).

Overall great hol and would return again.

Reviewer: Mrs R 7 reviews from this member

August 2004
Still scratching my midge bites even now!! Midges are the worst part of this site, even the citronella didn't have any effect on them. We left our light outsite watching the moths head butting the glass and sat in the dark in our porch it was that bad.

We found the site difficult to find and driving through miles upon miles of baron land made me feel travel sick. I believe that the scenery was amazing but having to concentrate on the roads as they are rather narrow, I missed most of it. Leaving the M6, it took us an additional 1 hour to reach the site!!

Local shop in Eskdale Green is very expensive so I would suggest taking a trip to Egremont where you'll find a Kwik Save and CO-OP plus other shops. Park behind CO-OP cost 50p but you get a refund in CO-OP. Drive further to Whitehaven and there is a LIDL, Safeway (Morrisons now) and cheaper petrol. Didn't get to see the rest of the town as it was rather late.

The visitor centre at Sellafield was a great afternoon out on a rainy day if you can ignore the propaganda behind the free entry. Lots of interactive activities for all to have a go at and the staff are really lovely and its FREE!!

Fisherground itself is a great site with pros and cons like all have.

Pros: Camp fires, very clean toilets & showers 50p(showers perfect temperature but you have to be quick if you're washing your hair, especially if it's long like mine, 5 mins is all you get) being able to pitch anywhere, scenery spectacular, extremely friendly site owners who seem to spend all their waking hours maintaining the site and chatting to campers, owners don't take any messing from unsociable campers and ensure all campers adhere to the no noise after 11.00pm rule, whole atmosphere is very friendly and not forgetting Meg the dog, made herself comfortable at our campfire.

Cons: For us was the drive to get there, lack of onsite shop for those essentials (beer, milk & newspapers)dogs barking and scrapping although this was the minority, most were well behaved and lovely.

The miniature railway is a must although expensive. It cost us for 4 adults, 1 child and 1 under 3yrs £36.00 for the day so if you do decide to try it out, make sure you start early and finish late and ride up and down the line all day to get your pennies worth. Also get to the train early to get an open air seat.

Previous     217 Reviews in total, now showing 201 to 210      Next

Is Fisherground Campsite child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Fisherground Campsite?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Fisherground Campsite dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Eskdale      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Paws in the Park, West Sussex 09/10 to 10/10
UK's largest outside dog show for working, trained and pet dogs held at the Ardingly Showground. Weekend camping available on site ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021