Visitor Reviews - Rivendale Holiday Park

Campsite Search > UK > England > Central > Peak District & Derbyshire > Ashbourne > Rivendale Holiday Park Reviews

Rivendale Holiday Park

Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Fishing On Site   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire 1 mile   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 5 miles  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  267 in total, now showing 241 to 250                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25   26   27

Reviewer: Dazkim 6 reviews from this member

September 2004
We have just returned from a 2 night break at rivendale and can recommend this site to you all . the pitches are all made seperate from each other from rocks from the quarry on which the site sits. The shower blocks are kept to a very high standard and always plenty of hot water . We went to the bar (Prancing Pony) one evening and found it to be a nice friendly place. They also accept well behaved dogs in the bar and also have a place where the little ones can be as well. All in all a nice weekend break .

Reviewer: Planty6 1 review from this member

July 2004
We camped in the overflow field at the end of July weather was glorious friday and saturday then the proberbial cats and dogs on sunday.

A lovely site but I have two minor complaints.

1) Showers on overflow field are portacabins and when anyone opened the outer door anyone getting out of a shower cubicle was in full view also these were not very clean especially on sunday.

2) The list of facilities shows a games room this does not exist. My 8 year old son would have been happy during sundays rain if there had been a games room. A pool table in the bar which does not open until 6pm does not constitute a games room.

Reviewer: lambsie 2 reviews from this member

July 2004
Visited this site 3 weeks ago and was impressed by the courteous staff and the location of the site, as its a great base to explore the surrounding area. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were given a layout of the park and instructions on how to locate our pitch, and paid a 5 deposit (refundable) for a key to the wc & shower block.

We liked the layout of the park and the individual pitches for caravans. We also liked the cliff - its not every day you get to camp in a disused quarry - the only grumble we had was the shale on the floor was quite large, uneven in places on the pitch and can be a bit tricky!
The pitch we had could have been a bit bigger, we didn't have enough room to erect our awning, although we did book quite late to get onto the site so can't complain.

The wc/shower block was very clean throughout our stay, no problems with hot water although I will say make sure you hang your dry stuff up high enough out of the way of the water from the shower so you don't get them wet! LOL!
There is a lovely bar there which is pleasant to sit in to while away a few hours on an evening. Children are only allowed in there until 9pm. The restaurant looked good as well, although we didn't sample anything from there.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and will be returning again one day!

Reviewer: MrGrumpy 4 reviews from this member

August 2004
Our trip started badly! I locked the bikes to the car and left the key at home!!!

Anyway, the site manager came to my rescue and used a hacksaw to take off the lock :)

Now to the point. We enjoyed the site a lot. Right from the check-in the staff were friendly and helpful (as I mentioned earlier!). Our pitch was pretty level and quite large, although I did bend a few pegs hitting stones just below the surface. It wasn't too quiet, but then again definitely wasn't too noisy.

The toilet block was (as has been said numerous times) immaculate, although the hot water in the sinks and dish-washing area was very slow at busy times. The showers weren't affected though.

The site was pretty well full when we went (the weather was beautiful), so there were a couple of occasions where you had to wait for a shower.

The bar was very pleasant and I don't think it was badly priced either. I didn't use the shop so can't comment on that.

The play area was a godsend - our kids spent most of the time on site there - but I suspect it was a bit noisy for those close by.

The Tissington trail is about 100 yards away making this an excellent choice if you want to explore on a bike

Reviewer: emgin 13 reviews from this member

July 2004
Just got back from Rivendale and quite enjoyed the campsite. As mentioned on numerous occasions before by others, the toilets were spotless, warm and sweet smelling. I did experience a problem with getting hot water though (first a trickle that actually slowed and stopped completely). There was nothing wrong with the showers at all though. The bar was fine as was the shop (expensive though - 75p each for a variety size pack of cornflakes). Staff were all lovely. We arrived late on the Friday evening so didn't have time to crank up the BBQ and ate in the bar instead. Food was spot on and not too badly priced. Apart from the fact that we had the worst weather in our personal camping history, we had a very pleasant weekend and will probably return to this campsite should we get the chance.

Reviewer: joanne76 1 review from this member

June 2004
You can not fail to be impressed with the steep cliff faces as you drive in to this site, as others have mentioned.
The shower toilet block was very nice, a very basic playground with a medium sized grass area for ball games. Would have been better with something for the younger kiddies. Could do with a leaflet with opening times for the shop and pub and cafe and a indication of where you can walk dogs.
Shop was basic but they sold lovely local sausages and bacon. There was a cafe and pub which were small but welcome. Very near to the Tissington trail, cycle hire well worth a visit. We will definately go back for the night.

Reviewer: Chris42 1 review from this member

June04
Visited this site on back of previous good reviews. It didnt disappoint. Smashing pitch and lucky enough not to be near play park which got a bit noisy and stayed that way till quite late on in the evening. Site on the whole was fairly quiet at night which is just what you need when you've put in a hard days walking!
I know readers of previous reviews may be getting bored with the repetition, but the toilet block was spotlessly clean, well lit and warm!! I personally had no prob getting hot water to wash in and it was probably luck of timing but we never had to wait to use washing up facilities. I must echo another reviewers comments on shop prices. 2.00 for a bloomin can opener! That'll teach me to pack properly!

Reviewer: mick68 2 reviews from this member

May 2004
I was not impressed by this site and will not be returning. I did come across it whilst looking for another AA rated one nearby and mistook this one for the one I had read a review for. As I arrived around 9pm (the one I was supposed to find was taking arrivals 'til 11pm), I was given an 'emergency' pitch, a distance away from all the other campers!!! The ground was very hard of course and I found it a bit fiddly to erect the tent, some pegs going in fine, others not. The pub and cafe never seemed to open even though there was a sign saying the bar was open from the previous week. the shop was expensive (2.65 for a pound of sausages and 60p for a box of matches) With plenty of other sites around this area, I will try a different one next time.

Reviewer: a sommers 1 review from this member

May 2004
Pleasant well laid out site, shower block very good, perfect for a weekend with v. good access to peak district, nice little shop and bar set apart from pitches, small/large pitches with price differential (small amount extra).

Reviewer: david 2 reviews from this member

May 2004
First time at this site. Nice facilities and friendly staff.

I quite liked the quarry look (as have many other reviewers) but my girlfriend hated it and prefers nice views. She thought it was like the set of a Flintstones movie! I think that it will be really nice in a year or so as the hedges and plants soften the boundaries.

Definately a good family site, although kids are quite noisy if you're used to really quiet campsites.

Dovedale walk was nice and not too taxing and the cycle trail is incredibly close.

Will be back with the bikes , but go elsewhere for walking I think.

Previous     267 Reviews in total, now showing 241 to 250      Next

Other Sites Near Ashbourne      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Derbyshire

Win Kids Camping Essentials worth 100! Win a BUZZ RACK Buzzpro Towball Platform

UKCS Meet Shackerstone Family Festival 31/08 to 01/09, Leicestershire
Includes arena entertainment, vintage cars, canal boats, planes, railways and much more! EXCLUSIVE Discounted weekend camping tickets ...more