Reviews of Palmers Farm Camp Site

Campsite Search > UK > South East England > Kent > Tunbridge Wells > Palmers Farm Camp Site > Reviews

Palmers Farm Camp Site
Check Digital TV coverage    See Weather Forecast

Share  Post on X / Twitter  Share on Facebook  Email

Open: 01/04/2024 to 30/09/2024

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Small Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics for Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 Toilet Facilities   No Showers   No Washing Up Area   No Bathroom
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <5 miles   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <10 miles   Wild Swimming <1 mile   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  No Dog Walk

Reviews:  29 in total, now showing 21 to 29                 Previous 10         Next 10

Write your own Review to win an Outdoor Revolution Screenhouse 4 and £150!

If you've ever visited this campsite please submit a review for your chance to win! Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win an Outdoor Revolution Screenhouse 4 worth £299 AND £150 of Amazon vouchers. Leave as many reviews as you can for more chances - it only takes a few minutes

Date of Visit: August 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Escapingbrown 3 reviews from this member

The 1st thing you should know is that if you put the postcode into your sat nav, it won't take you exactly to where the campsite is - it'll take you to the farm. If you're coming from the direction of Tunbridge Wells, the campsite is about 200m before the farm, on the other side of the road where the downward hill doglegs left.

It's a very large crop field which rolls gently down into a valley. The camping area stretches approximately halfway along the upper side with room for probably about 12-15 tents plus cars. The northwards view towards what I gather is the Medway Valley, is very beautiful - one of the best I've experienced from many a campsite I've been to. The sky above is fairly busy with air traffic coming and going in various directions, but felt nothing out of the ordinary for me in S. London.

The view and the rawness of this campsite are it's attractions; it has 1 standpipe (didn't see any more), a chemical toilet someway down the edge of the site and a large metal bin by the entrance (plus some odd old empty wagon made of wood). The standpipe is tucked away in the bushes to the left of the bin as you look at it. The bin was overflowing when we arrived and more overflowing when we left, but didn't see of hear any animals scavenging. I also didn't use the toilet - two out of the six of us camping did, the rest used the toilet at the Chafford Arms (will come to that in a moment). They returned shaking their heads, I gather it's essentially a bucket with a seat on it - I asked nothing more. The other feature worth mentioning is that quite a lot of the ground was a bit bumpy and uneven.

It cost us £6 to stay - collected by the farmer around 6-7pm. No firewood offered.

The Chafford Arms is a 1 mile walk away along the roads to Fordcombe. It's a lovely pub with a nice garden, a good selection of drinks and nice food but the head barman's demeanour definitely isn't the friendliest I've experienced. One of the local farmers I spoke with said the Spotted Dog north of Fordcombe is a much friendlier pub.

I'd definitely go back there with my mates again and/or a large group, but probably not with the wife and future kids.

Date of Visit: April 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Elliotbeken 1 review from this member

Excellent camp site for campers looking for a good time. The owner is very friendly and flexible.

Facilities are limited to one chemical toilet and fresh running water (drinkable) all me and my mates need.

I have stayed here many times and will stay many more. The local shops I have visited are 5-10 min drive in the car. The site is located in a fantastic valley.

Date of Visit: July 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: JSharp 9 reviews from this member

Dropped down here for a night earlier this month whilst I was travelling from the East coast to the West. I've stayed here previously in the past.

There's a few single track roads to go through to get here, which can be a pain, but it's not the worse. Also avoid the main road through Tunbridge Wells if you can, because it's a nightmare that I found to be on a par with central Bristol.

It had chucked it down with rain, so when other people arrived, they were reluctant to drive further up the pitch, making parking very limited and blocking access. In the end I got my car stuck faffing about for a space to fit my saloon.

A large family was staying at the other end of the pitch from me, who stayed up all night talking, drinking and singing and kept us awake. Then to add salt to the wound, their children were up at the crack of dawn, running around shouting and screaming and trampling the crops with a dog. Not the fault of the owner, true, but it was just an irritation.

Facilities are really limited, but I knew this and Palmer's Farm is an experience in itself really. The toilet is essentially a bucket in an old tin shed. Previous camper's waste is dumped just outside it in a pile. Best to pray that there aren't many people around when you need to go to the loo, because there's a huge gap in the door when you close it! A little more bleach in the bucket would be appreciated too!

Worth going to for the experience and the view, but not recommended if you have children or women on board because of the limited facilities.

Date of Visit: May 2012 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Ianladd 4 reviews from this member

Stayed here for a nights camping and a decent hike around the Kent countryside on Sat.

As previous reviews have stated, this is a very basic site:

1 chemical toilet. (Bit nasty but an amazing view with your poo!)

1 standpipe in a hedge. (Took a few minutes to find it!)

1 Field with an amazing view across the Medway Valley!

This one is all about the location. Perfectly situated for hiking along the Medway or into Tunbridge Wells. And what an amazing view to wake up to. I woke at about 6-6:30 to see the valley filled with morning mist, but an hour later the visibility was good for miles.

The Farmer who owns the site was friendly and helpful as were the other campers. Also, you are fine to have fires but the farm doesn't supply firewood. This was fine for others who turned up in cars but for hikers may be a bit more difficult.

Overall, a brilliant place if your happy with very basic facilities (We loved it) And perfectly situated for walking etc.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: ChanteF 1 review from this member

I have just visited this camp site with a group of friends and found the owner very welcoming and helpful.

The site is in a great location, although difficult to find, the scenery is lovely and the walk down the cornfield towards the river is beautiful. Being next to a cow field we were allowed to climb over the fence and visit the cows.

The toilet was not the best however perfect for the traditional camping experience. The owner of the caravan on site was quite a character and extremely friendly.

Would like to revisit the site, thank you for a lovely time.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: ShaniM 1 review from this member

I very much enjoyed my stay at Palmers farm. A short while after our arrival we were welcomed to the site and told about a river near the site, which we enjoyed taking a 10minute walk to.

As the website said, the camp was basic having one chemical toilet and one faucet that provided clean water, which was adequate for our one night stay.

There are lovely views from the top of the hill and a wooded area with a tire swing.

All in all, our experience at Palmers Farm was delectable and we all agree that we would happily return.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: RowanR 1 review from this member

Positives first.

Stunning views, campsite positioned along one side of a corn field so every pitch looks over the corn field that drops away and the valley below, only one other campers when I was there, campsite located off of a country lane (Coopers Lane) so no traffic noise (campsite sign tied to the farm gate).

The farmer pops in when heís passing if he sees someone has pitched a tent and collects the money which was £5 per person per night. He told me that thereís normally none to a couple of campers at anyone time other than at the odd bank holiday weekends when there can be quite a lot of regulars, but they normal use the adjacent field or if there a festival on at the Hop Farm and they put on a bus.

Negatives.

Thereís only a tap providing running water and a tin shed with a chemical toilet. Personally, I prefer the piece and quite and I imagine that if there was a shower block etc. The place would be packed but I appreciate thatís not everyoneís cup of tea.

Date of Visit: July 2010 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Bonniebumpkin 1 review from this member

Just as the owner warned me. Thereís a basic chemical toilet and a mains water tap, thatís it.

However, the views are fantastic and we had the whole place to ourselves.

We had a little trouble finding it as the postcode takes you to the Farm not the campsite but if you drive the length of lane you can see the campsite sign from the car.

The procedure seems to be drive in, pitch your tent and the owner drops in as and when. Sometimes with a milkfloat which is handy for milk and eggs straight from the Farm.

Date of Visit: May 2007 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Joanna W 5 reviews from this member

As there are no reviews so far for this site I thought it might be useful to put on some information, even though we didn't actually stay here in the end!†

We booked the site because everywhere else we tried was fully booked, and the owner did warn us that the site was very basic, with just a chemical toilet and no showers.† However, when we arrived the field was VERY bumpy (our three-year-old kept tripping over) and the grass was long.† There were a couple of other tents pitched here!†

The views from the site were lovely, and I should imagine for 'proper' campers it would be fine, but with our young children it would have been a struggle.

Previous     29 Reviews in total, now showing 21 to 29     Next

Share  Post on X / Twitter  Share on Facebook  Email

Write a Review of this Site to Win an Outdoor Revolution Prize and £150

Write a review of this campsite and you could win an Outdoor Revolution Screenhouse 4 worth £299 AND £150 of Amazon vouchers. Each month one lucky person will have their review picked at random and will win! Leave as many as you can for more chances - submit your review here!

Outdoor Revolution strive to facilitate precious family leisure time by creating the most reliable, practical and exceptional value for money Family Tents, Caravan & Driveaway Awnings on the market, together with our endless vision for innovation and quality! Therefore, there has never been a better time to rediscover camping and caravanning with Outdoor Revolution!

Is Palmers Farm Camp Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Palmers Farm Camp Site ?  There is a shop within 5 miles  View all facilities

Is Palmers Farm Camp Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Tunbridge Wells      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Kent

UKCS Meet East Anglian Game and Country Fair 27/04 to 28/04
All the fun of the Game and Country Fair taking place at Euston Estate near Thetford - you can even camp over for the weekend - enter our competition to win tickets Find out More

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2024