Visitor Reviews - Gwithian Farm Campsite

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South West > Cornwall (West) > Site Reviews

Gwithian Farm Campsite
1 Churchtown Rd
Gwithian, Hayle
St Ives
Cornwall (West)   (Browse area)
TR27 5BX   See Map

Open: April To October

Add this Site to your Virtual BrochureSave to Virtual Brochure

Shop <1 mile   Bar On Site   No Restaurant   Wifi Access
 Fishing   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach On Site   Watersports On Site   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Seaside Location   Dog Walk   Public Transport

Reviews:  246 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22   23   24   25

Write your own Review wo win a £150 Amazon Voucher!!

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: PLoDR1 6 reviews from this member

Nice family camp / caravan site but also very friendly to hikers.

We turned up as a group of students hiking the coast path and were made very welcome - quite a contrast to some other parks in the vicinity. Grass was good for pitching and pampas & aloe hedges made good shelter from both the elements and other guests. We were allocated far more space than we needed but for a decent price, and this allowed us to not disturb / be disturbed by other guests. Showers and toilets good although a bit of a way from where we pitched. Shop also very useful and the owner even offered me a spoon from his own kitchen! when unable to sell me one after mine broke. Plenty of water points so was nice not to have to walk miles for that. Washing up area was covered and had warm water. Pub just across the road served us well in the evening.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: J9withdogs 6 reviews from this member

What a gem of a campsite!

It stands on a gently sloping site but most pitches appear to be reasonably level. It is beautifully landscaped with plenty of shrubs and hedges creating garden 'rooms' which give a high level of privacy but allow views of the lovely surrounding countryside.

The shower blocks are modern and clean, with plenty of hot water. There are separate facilities for wetsuit washing, dish washing and clothes washing.

The staff are friendly, helpful and informative.

Dogs are welcome both on the site and on the beach which is a short walk across the sand-dunes.

All that and a pub at the bottom of the driveway serving great beer and food!

Locally, there is a beach cafe and sports centre a short walk from the site and St Ives is a few miles drive away.

Reviewer: Simondawn 2 reviews from this member

Stayed here last august weather was great. Pitches were a little close but had plant barriers between which was great small shop on size with freezing ice block facility. Site and toilets very clean and well cared for. A ideal place to stay with children sea and surf walking distance but a short drive is easier. Have rebooked for this year for a 1 and 2 week holiday, could be better with more electric hook ups for tents.

Reviewer: Tmif 8 reviews from this member

I can't really add much more to the reviews than what is already written here, but I will witter on for a while anyway.

This site was my first foray back into the world of camping, and I think I might have spoiled myself :)

We booked last minute, and apparently got the very last spot on the site. We arrived at about 6pm on Friday after work and was greeted by a very cheerful man who told us where we were to go, gave us a map, some wifi codes for our collection of electronic gadgetry and wished us a lovely holiday.

The arrivals/reception area was fine for us - but I only had a little car - I am not so sure it would have worked so perfectly if there were three or four caravans all arriving at the same time.

The actual pitches were lovely - all separated with pretty little fences and plants. (There were two together and then a little fence all the way along. )

It was extremely windy that first night. Really really awful. Not the site's fault, but perhaps something to be considered. If there bad wind forecast maybe consider slightly in land.

The location of the site is wonderful too. Near the beach, a short drive to an Aldi (for that continental camping experience), there's a little Co-op nearby too. If you go into Hayle there's a wonderful pasty shop. You can't go to Cornwall without sampling their traditional fayre - and Phillip's pasties are the best.

Back to the actual site - in my opinion it's perfect. I love it. I would go there all the time. Friendly owners, nice layout, flat pitches, well made roads/paths, beautifully clean showers - complete with adequate shelves/hooks for clothes and a little seat in the shower (for those moments when you can't get your socks on!) I can't remember if there is a shop.

There's a nice little pub in the village - but book. We tried to go twice and it was full. Food is lovely though, if you can get in.

My only small semi-moan is the booking process. I would much rather be able to actually book on-line in real time. Currently, you have to complete a form and someone emails you back - you then make further contact to pay the balance. I would just be happier having a little availability checker online which you can boo there and then. Nothing serious, would just make it better imho.

I don't have kids, but they all seemed adequately occupied. There were loads of them, darting about on bikes/scooters 'n' stuff. I don't know if there were or even should be rules about such things. I think there probably should be. A bit dangerous perhaps. Ride your bike/scooter, kick your balls and throw your frisbies in the play field kids. That's why it's there!

Love it there.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Grahamandsam 13 reviews from this member

Just returned from 17 day holiday at this site so was certainly present over the period of the negative reviewer below and am surprised by the comments over cleanliness of wash rooms and gangs of children.

The advantage of this website is that you get information from real people and it can be a valuable resource to look at members previous reviews as there may be a common theme in people's perceptions.

The site facilities are spotless, and were cleaned at least 3 times per day by two ladies who live on site.

I personally thanked them before leaving for how they kept the facilities so clean over the busy holiday period, I haven't made such a gesture before on other sites.

I did have to wait for a toilet/shower on a couple of occasions but only for a couple of minutes.

Site location, maintenance is spot on and it is very quiet after 9pm with an excellent pub opposite serving lovely food-you must book during summer season though if you want to eat.

I cannot fault this site and we will certainly return.

I have two young children who made lots of good friends and loved playing on the wide open field for ball games.

This is probably the best site we have ever stayed on and we had a fantastic holiday.

Reviewer: Dobs75 5 reviews from this member

This is the second year we have visited Gwithian Farm and we love it! We have already reserved a pitch for next year as we know how popular it is.

I am very surprised at the negative comments below. The site is excellently organised and very well maintained by owners, who are friendly, ready to assist and always milling around on site. The facilities are always clean despite the heavy traffic of the peak season. Yes, there is a short wait for showers at busy times but I would expect this as everyone leaves the beach at the same time each day. As there is quite a few showers you do not have to wait for long.

We stayed for 10 nights and had a pitch at the top of the field. We liked this pitch as you get great views of the surrounding countryside and very little passing traffic from other campers. We did not feel the toilet block was too far at all from our pitch, and neither did the 6 children in our party!

The site is mainly frequented by families and by about 9 - 9. 30 each night there was very little noise which was great. The lovely thing is hearing the sound of the waves each night. The pitches are of good size and nicely separated by planting, this gives quite a lot of privacy and you don't feel at all like you are surrounded by other tents. We took advantage of the fresh croissants sold 3 times a week and also the chef who comes on Thursday's selling homecooked curry (Chicken Korma and Lamb Dansak) which was delicious. We ate at Sand Sifter on Saturday and took advantage of their Saturday night BOGOF on burger meals which was excellent value for money.

The walk to the beach is via a footpath from the top of the site which is an easy stroll and takes about 10-15 mins. If you have a lot of kit and tired toddlers after a full beach day like we do, you may consider driving. The beach is stunning and in our view the best in Cornwall - must be about 2 miles of golden sand, never crowded due to it's sheer size. Surfing and rockpooling is fab and there are some great rocks to jump from in the middle of the beach, which our kids loved.

Nearby town of St Ives is lovely, but very busy. Parking is limited so you are best to catch the nearby park and ride train, or bus from the road at bottom of camp site. Fantastic fish and chips from Harbour Fish and Chips, but watch out for the hungry Herring Guls! We also had a day at St Michaels Mount which was lovely.

I would recommend this site to anyone. Can't wait to return next summer! Thank you again for another fab holiday

Reviewer: Salcaz 1 review from this member

This is the first time we have used this site and were very impressed.

The site is very well set out. As there were only 2 of us they put us in a quiet corner out of the way. There is plenty of room for campervans, caravans, trailer tents and general tents. Pitches are of a good size so you are not on top of each other.

The toilet & shower block is very clean and of a good standard. There are plenty of showers with a smaller area within the shower for getting dressed. There are mops and brushes left to clean the shower down after yourself so it is clean for the next person.

There are plenty of toilets which are well stocked with loo roll.

There is a disabled toilet & shower which doubles as a baby change. The only thing I would add to the disabled toilet/shower would be a proper shower chair with wheels. There is a plastic garden chair provided. I might be being a bit picky as I have worked for along time with people with disabilities.

Soap dispensers were well stocked and there are 2 good hair dryers in the ladies.

There is a sandpit, seating area and table tennis table for the kids. It is well kept and securely fenced off.

The shop is well stocked, they will charge your phone/ipad for free. Wifi is free but can be a little difficult connecting to it at times. You can freeze your ice blocks for free too.

The shop is well stocked & staff are helpful.

The ice cream man, chippy van, fish monger and other food people all visit on different days.

You can walk to the beach from the site but it is about a 20min walk up and down hill. The surrounding area to the camp site is beautiful. You are in a good location for visiting other places around cornwall.

There is a pub just by the campsite. It does serve food but is only small so booking is necessary. Half a mile down the road is The Sandsifter. The food is fab but again make sure you book, you don't want to miss out eating there.

Overall its a very well equipped site. I would recommend staying here.

Reviewer: Joannap2109 1 review from this member

Just returned from this campsite and can't rate it highly enough. The facilities are very good and more than adequate. We did queue twice for the showers but then it was at 5. 30pm at the busiest time, and we didn't wait very long. The easiest way to avoid queuing was to go during the quiet tines!

As for the groundsheets we used a breathable one and it was fine. Happy to do so as it definitely helps with the condition of the pitches.

The owners are very helpful and can't do enough for you. I saw the cleaners in the wash rooms several times and I always found the toilets, showers and sinks very clean.

There were lots of kids on site, not surprising given its the summer holidays, and its a family orientated site! My daughter loved the play area and the guinea pigs, and we felt it was a very safe site for her to play on.

The bakery stall every Mon, Wed and Fri was a nice touch and very popular, the danish pastrys were to die for!

This was our first visit (12 nights) and have booked again for next year.

Reviewer: Katebrown12 5 reviews from this member

As a family of 4 we have just returned home again from our fourth visit from this lovely site. It has always been great but it is nice to see improvements and investments over the years we have been visiting for example the work on the roads around the site. The owners are great as ever too and its nice to be recognised as a return customer as they must see hundreds of faces week in week out.

The location is perfect with an easy walk to the cliff tops and beach, a shop on site and also one just over the road. Not forgetting the local Red River Inn very close by. Facilities are great and I for the whole of my stay never had to queue for the showers or washing up facilities, perhaps it was my lie in! but if I kept hitting a peak time for them I guess I would have gone just a little earlier or later. I also never saw dirty facilities with the cleaners in there frequently.

The site was full, its August school hols, and to be expected but at no time to us did it feel crowded/over run with kids. The site has 2 separate play areas for kids and the vast majority abide by this.

We respect the site rules and don't have a ground sheet under our tent, and after staying 8 nights I just needed a handbrush to clean the bottom no fuss. Never saw anyone with one actually and at the end of the day if I was worried about a bit of dirt I wouldn't choose camping!

We had a pitch at the top of the site (our preference) and have had no problems with the short walk to the facilities block.

We absolutely love this place and after visiting Cornwall for many years have not found better value for money. We have already booked for next year, roll on 2014!

Reviewer: 628debc 2 reviews from this member

This has the potential to be a lovely site, but the facilities just aren't up to coping with the number of people on site during the summer holidays. There is only one shower/toilet block on the site and if you are pitched at the top of the field it is a long, dark walk to it in the night. During our 2 week stay I had to queue for the shower on most mornings (one time the queue went right to the shower block door), and usually had to queue for the washing up sinks too. I've never experienced this on any site before. The facilities weren't always very clean either - quite a lot of cobwebs about, and dirt around the plugholes which was easy to remove if you pushed your nail against it.

The other major issue I had was the vast number of children who congregated around the site late into the evening. The site has very limited lighting, and blind corners, and it was quite usual for children on bikes and scooters to be racing around the paths in total darkness at gone 10 o'clock. One evening as I drove into the site there was a group of about 8 children lying across the paths (which are also used by the cars), invisible in the darkness. Very scary! The owners did their best to encourage parents to take responsibility for their children but so many people ignored this. I feel sorry for anyone who has a pitch near to Reception. It will be noisy!

There is a great pub, the Red River Inn, just opposite the site. A visit is well recommended! The site has an ice cream van which comes round most evenings, a fish van on a Tuesday, fish and chip van on Wednesdays and Sundays, a curry van on a Thursday and a bakery van on Mon, Wed & Fri mornings.

The location of the site is excellent for body boarders and surfers, and indeed the majority of the people on site seemed to be there for that reason. The beach can be accessed via a footpath and the sand dunes; it's a challenging walk for anyone with young children or who isn't very fit! There is also access by car, but the carpark fills up very quickly on nice days. Gwithian beach is beautiful with plenty of space for all. Facilities are limited to a rather nice café and some toilets.

And if you were wondering about the ban on footprints specified in the terms of booking and on the board by the Reception. It's a bit of a joke! We duly left our footprint at home and have consequently come home with a filthy tent. And the grass looked just as wrecked too. We saw many people come and go however, and the vast majority seem to ignore the rule entirely. The only member of staff who is ever seen on the site is the guy cutting the grass so it is easy to get away with it. Apparently it's to preserve the grass but if you have a SIG on your tent the grass will still be damaged.

So, all in all, quite a nice site which is probably lovely outside the main holiday period. I've been to better however, and expected more for £31 a night; I guess Cornwall attracts a premium however, and you get more for your money elsewhere.

Previous     246 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Write your own Review wo win a £150 Amazon Voucher!!

Try our town listings   -   Other Sites in Cornwall (West)   -   Search for a site

Win a Kampa Portaflush 10 Portable Toilet! Win a 655ltr Waterproof Rooftop Bag worth £239

UKCS Meet Tribfest Festival 16th to 19th August, E Yorks
World's biggest tribute band festival. Family friendly. Discounted tickets and a chance to win some ...more