Tent and Awning Reviews Competitions Caravans and Motorhomes For Sale Shopping Diary Advent Calendar

Reviews of Baysbrown Farm Campsite Chapel Stile

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Ambleside > Baysbrown Farm Campsite Chapel Stile Reviews

Baysbrown Farm Campsite Chapel Stile
Chapel Stile
Great Langdale
Ambleside
Cumbria   (Browse area)
LA22 9JR

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Open: 01/03/2021 to 31/10/2021
           01/03/2022 to 31/10/2022

Tent Pitches   No Caravans   No Motorhomes   No Campervans
 No Glamping Units   No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches
 No Electric Hookups   No Hardstandings   No Fully Serviced Pitches   Show Full Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge   No Motorhome Point   No Wifi Access
 Shop <1 mile   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 No Fishing   Wild Swimming <1 mile   Indoor Pool <1 mile   No Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding <5 miles   Cycle Hire <1 mile   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Beach   Watersports <10 miles   No Boat Launch
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  111 in total, now showing 31 to 40                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Camp2walk 3 reviews from this member

Just returned from a weekend staying at this site. No advance bookings just turn up, rates are reasonable. TOP location with great views. A mix of tents, caravans, motorhomes, campers. All welcome. The site is huge so everyone was spread out between the different fields, we stayed in the top field closer to the toilet/showers which were spotlessly clean throughout our stay. Showers were free and hot enough. Local co-op shop two minutes walk and Wainwrights Inn bit further down the road selling decent ales & food. The site is the perfect location for walking the Great & Little Langdale Circle with some spectacular views of the Langdale Pikes. Would definitely stay here again.

Date of Visit: June 2014 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Odin883 5 reviews from this member

Was really looking forward to staying here after reading some good reviews and knowing that it's in a stunning location.

But having stayed for one night, I'm left with a mix of emotions. It's great value for money at just £5 per person (plus £2. 50 per vehicle) regardless of tent size.

The site is huge, the further fields are all flat and mowed, the one's closer to the amenities were a little more sloped but still well kept.

The views are just stunning and as it's a little way from the road it's very peaceful and relaxing.

My only gripe is with the toilet and shower block.

As others have mentioned the sinks are a little high, and there are no hooks, shelves or benches at all in the shower cubicles so you can only put your things on the dirty floor which makes showering a really annoying juggle; trying to balance all your clean and dirty clothes on top of your shoes.

All that I could deal with, for just £5 you're getting to stay in a fantastic location.

What I can't deal with is the drainage. There is a channel drain running through all four shower cubicles that takes the waste water out. Fair enough, except the first user of the same drain is the urinal. So all the p*ss coming from the urinal runs through all the showers.

I'm no prude, but showering in the smell of other people's leavings does not a fun time make. Why the urinal wasn't put at the other end, after the showers I don't know.

I would probably return despite this because everything else was so good and this site is literally half the price of the Great Langdale National Trust campsite just down the road.

Reviewer: Hmfrost 3 reviews from this member

Camped here last weekend as a party for four adults and two dogs. The campsite is deceptively big, spread across five or six different fields. There's only one toilet/shower/wash up area, so if you pitch up on a far away field you've got a long walk to the loos. The campsite is clean and quiet. The showers were always clean and the water was nice and hot, although there are absolutely no frills. Think concrete, agricultural sheet aluminium and not much else. The farmer and his wife were very friendly. Everyone on the campsite seemed to go to bed bang on 10pm, so it was eerily quiet after that - we felt like we'd be disturbing everyone if we carried on chatting so turned in at the same time. We were really happy with our experience here. There's a public bridleway signed from the campsite which takes you on a nice walk along the valley. The local pub serves lovely food, and the local co-operative shop was very handy.

Reviewer: Ntulele 3 reviews from this member

Have stayed several times at Baysbrown over the last 4 years. Just love this site. Huge free camping area in a stunning location. I know some people complain that the toilet/shower blocks are very far from the lower field but we have never found this a problem. We go the Lakes to walk. Magnificent views of the Langdales. We have always found the owners very helpful. They are willing to refreeze your freezer blocks, charge phone etc. We do not visit over weekends/bank holidays, so the site has usually been quite quiet when we have visited and the toilets / showers have always been clean. Lots of hot water. Showers are on a timer and there is plenty of room in them so your clothes don't get wet when you are showering. Our favourite campsite in the Lakes. Great value for money. A no frills site in an amazing location.

Reviewer: Wheelsy 29 reviews from this member

I stayed at the site over the Bank Holiday weekend to do some walking in the area. Normally I'd stay at the National Trust site up the road, but as this was all booked up so I thought I'd give this place a try. I called the owners and they didn't mind me turning up around 10pm, unlike at the National Trust site where you can't get past the barrier at a reasonable time for anyone coming from a fair distance away.

Although it was a Bank Holiday the site wasn't too busy and there was plenty of place to pitch up on the bottom field. The top field, which is nearer the amenities, was full. One thing to bear in mind is to avoid pitching too close to the road leading up to the facilities - it's quite a trek and lots of people were driving their cars up and down both late at night and early in the morning rather than walking to use the loo. The bottom field did get quite boggy on the second day, presumably after it having rained all night, whereas the top field didn't seem to suffer this problem. It was nice to be able to park the car right next to the tent though.

The facilities themselves seemed well kept, but it felt distinctly like using a set of public toilets, or perhaps what I imagine it would be like in prison. The duck egg green walls and metal cubicles weren't particularly cheerful. As previous reviewers have mentioned, there weren't any hooks to hang anything up on in the showers, which isn't brilliant. The showers were push operated (never understood why campsite owners don't trust people to use taps like they do at home) and had a ridiculously short time before they needed to be pressed again. I counted and it was 8 seconds, which didn't make for a relaxing and enjoyable shower, although it was nice a hot. There also were weren't any hooks near the sinks and the sinks themselves were unnecessarily high - admittedly I'm short at 5'3', but they came up to my nipples! I watched a young lad come in with his father and the sink was above his head height, so I don't know what he was going to do to brush his teeth. A couple of step stools for kids would probably have solved the problem, but I didn't see any around.

Overall, the campsite was OK, but I wouldn't be in a rush to go back there again. The location is good, but doesn't quite have the wow factor of the site up the road, and the facilities need a rethink.

Reviewer: Tenohfive 4 reviews from this member

This was our 4th (and the longest) visit to Bayesbrown Farm - each year we talk about trying somewhere else but Bayesbrown really does suit us down to the ground so we keep going back. Mostly for the views - I've yet to find a campsite in a more beautiful location.

We've always avoided the slightly more popular top fields nearest the amenities block in favour of a bit more space around us in the bottom field, at the expense of a 5 minute walk to the shower/toilet etc. Despite recent heavy rain we had no issues avoiding the boggy areas and finding a flat and dry spot for a large tent. There are no set pitches - you can choose your own spot. It's worth staying about 30 yards from the little stream alongside the woods on the bottom field as we were eaten alive by midges camping alongside it one year, but they only bothered us when very close to the water.

The views down to the Langdale Pikes are excellent but all round is lovely, and sitting outside watching the sun go down over Harrison Stickle with a drink in hand is reason enough to go back. There's also a lovely walk through some (currently bluebell covered) woods alongside Great Langdale Beck on the edge of the campsite, and of course there are 'serious' walkers routes within reach - the Cumbria Way runs along one side of the campsite and gives easy access to the Langdale Pikes or Mickleden etc.

The toilet/shower block is kept clean and the showers are free and always hot. The hanging points in the showers have been removed which is a shame - the only minor niggle was not having enough in the past - but it's not a major issue and can be worked around. I believe the owners will charge phones and freeze iceblocks for a small fee but I've never had reason to use that. There's a small but well stocked Co-op with a good (but pricey) cafe above about 5 minutes walk from the campsite. And the Wainwrights Inn is a decent gastro-pub about the same distance away. Ambleside (with the range of shopping and eating options) is a 10 minute drive away.

It's just a beautiful place with a very relaxed attitude towards camping. If you can live without electric hookup it's perfect.

Date of Visit: October 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Taxis Kendal 29 reviews from this member

This is a decent site in a great location. Views are spectacular in one direction, good to very good in the remaining directions. There is little road noise, with the upper field being 300 metres from the road.

It is difficult to find a level spot in the top field, especially if other campers have found them. But, we did, on a Monday in October, and the grass was a perfect springiness, with our tent pegs going in easily enough, yet securely. Drainage appeared to be good, too.

The bottom field, which apparently is level, is about 300 metres from the toilet block and the well signposted drinking water tap.

It was good to see a price list - £5 per adult plus £2. 50 for the car, with pleasant service, and we found it good value. We were also pleased to see a sign saying that same sex groups over three were unwelcome. This was a quiet, scenic site.

The toilet block is unheated, with free push button showers, but clean and to a good standard. More hooks could be put in the shower cubicles, and somewhere to put the soap etc, but they were hot enough, with an acceptable flow rate.

The sinks in the toilet block had hot and cold water, as did the super washing up room, with hand soap and toilet roll in the toilet block, and detergent provided for washing up. There were four shower cubicles, four sinks, four toilets, and a long urinal in the men's, and my partner was delighted with her facilities.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: DerbyDog 7 reviews from this member

I have just returned from a lakes trip where I used the Baysbrown site as a base. Idyllic location of course, close to the village of Chapel Stile with pub, shop and café. The shop is a well stocked co-op with helpful and friendly staff. The pub is very good, the food was well prepared and a comfortable place to enjoy it. I didn't use the café.

Entry to the site is via a long track which has a lot of potholes. This issue is being addressed with sections now concreted. I paid the fee for three nights at the farm house door. This is very reasonable and not like some sites where you need to take out a second mortgage for a patch of grass to kip on. The owners are friendly and welcoming. I could pitch where I liked. I did fancy a little solitude so had a look around the bottom fields but these were very wet. So pitched in the top field. The ground was pretty moisture retentive but it wasn't a problem.

If I was to make a constructive criticism it would be concerning the shower block. Though the hot showers are great, the whole block kept clean, I had to think that the place was constructed with giants in mind. In the shower cubicle there are no shelves to put anything on, eg specs, soap etc. On top of the cubicle are two vertical spikes, presumably to hang clothing on. At Five foot three, no chance. And no box for us shorties to stand on either. The second things are the sinks. To offer some perspective I stood against the sink surround and it came just below nipple level. No chance of shorties using them. God only knows how kids get a wash.

Other than that I had a fine time and if only for the reasonable pitch fees and laid back attitude to where you choose to pitch I would definitely recommend this site.

Date of Visit: September 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Darkwi 2 reviews from this member

I was really looking forward to the stay here because I'd heard about the friendliness, the large amount of space, and above all, the views.

Pulling into the farm I wasn't disappointed. The views and scenery truly are spectacular. It's a great setting.

The rates here are very cheap, it was just £5 for me and my tent for the night, plus a car fee of £2. 50. Having paid I was told to 'pitch your tent wherever you fancy', and seeing as I wanted some space and privacy I chose one of the lower fields - the nearest tent to mine was about 100ft away. Bliss.

The walk to the toilets and showers was a long one, but that's the choice you take for going into the lower fields. Inside the toilets and showers were clean and there were enough of them to not worry about having to queue.

Sadly that's where the positives of this trip stop. In fact it ended up being the worst night's camping I've ever had. And bearing in mind I camped in Sarajevo at the height of the Bosnian war as part of the UN force, it's saying a lot.

The problem was someone playing music, very loud music. All through the night till twenty past six in the morning. Thumping bass-filled music. There is supposed to be a no noise after half ten rule, and for the life of me I can't understand why nothing was done by the site's owners about the noise, although I wasn't 100% sure it was coming from one of the campervans or tents. I did look to see if I could see exactly where the music was coming from but couldn't, but it meant that me and lots of others no doubt didn't get any sleep at all.

Sad really because the site itself is stunning - but if it's the local village where the music was coming from then I wouldn't go anywhere near there again, and if it was indeed a tent where the music was coming from all night then the owners should have taken action. The fact they didn't would make me not want to go here again.

Date of Visit: August 2013 Unit:  Tent
Reviewer: Laura230389 1 review from this member

Just got back from 5 nights here during the summer holidays.

A fantastic campsite with some beautiful views of Langdale, surrounded by mountains.

The toilet block consists of plenty of showers, toilets and sinks and a washing up area. All are kept lovely and clean throughout the day, never had an issue with the cleanliness! Seemed to always be hot water, even if It took a couple of minutes for it to warm up, understandable when you realise they are solar powered showers!

We camped up in the upper fields, highly recommended, to save the legs. It's a long walk when you need the loo from the bottom fields! The chickens wandering around created some entertainment for us!

The people at the farmhouse are really nice, really helpful and happy to help with anything. It is a working farm, so expect to hear tractors and 4x4 vehicles driving round early/lateish. Wasn't a issue for us!

A 10 minute walk away is the fantastic Wainwrights Inn pub. Stunning food, great people and a good pint! We weren't sure about the prices but actually, we considered it very good value. Great food, very decent portions and we couldn't find any fault with anything we had. We ended up there twice during the week it was that good!

The co-op and Brambles cafe is good, a good breakfast in the cafe at good value, and the co-op stocks everything you might need if you remember something you may have forgotten. Some good, local meat is available, which is definitely worth a try!

All in all, a fantastic campsite, at £12. 50 a night for 2 adults and a car, an absolute bargain too :) with Ambelside, Windermere and Keswick not far away your spoilt for choice as to where to go :)

Previous     111 Reviews in total, now showing 31 to 40      Next

Is Baysbrown Farm Campsite Chapel Stile child friendly?  YES, it accepts children  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Baysbrown Farm Campsite Chapel Stile?  There is a shop within 1 mile  View all facilities

Is Baysbrown Farm Campsite Chapel Stile dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Ambleside      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Scottish Caravan / Motorhome Show 03/02 to 06/02
Compare and contrast the latest caravans and motorhomes from the country’s leading manufacturers ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021

UKCampsite.co.uk

24 Daily Prizes worth up to £599 each PLUS a Christmas Day Star Prize worth £1,999

Open Today's Window