Visitor Reviews - Sykeside Camping Park

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Site Reviews

Sykeside Camping Park
Brotherswater
Patterdale (lake District)
Penrith
Cumbria   (Browse area)
CA11 0NZ

This site has an availability calendar. You can check for availability here

Chemical Disposal   Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   No Recycling Facilities
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   No Wifi Access
 Fishing 1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Horse Riding   Cycle Hire 5 miles   No Golf   No Tennis
 No Beach   Watersports 5 miles   Boat Launch / Mooring 10 miles
 No Sea Views   Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 10 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  132 in total, now showing 61 to 70                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Scousersontour 3 reviews from this member

Fantastic setting in the lakes with a great on site pub. Shower block was very dated and the fella who drives around in his land rover flouting the on site speed limit was very quick to point out that dogs must be kept on a lead.

Be sure to scout the area where you are going to pitch your tent for dog muck. Not a site I would go back back too.

Date of Visit: July 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Dilbert1968 5 reviews from this member

I've stayed on this site about half a dozen times over the last 20 years and it hasn't actually changed much in that time. That's not a bad thing though - it's a nice flat site with beautiful views from every angle.

The toilets & showers are usually fine though they can get a bit messy (plus they shut for an hour or two in the afternoon for cleaning which can be a pain - literally!)

There is a decent shop, ample indoor washing up facilities plus a laundry room and a freezer.

There is a bar on site (OK but a little expensive) and a connected pub at the top of the site road (200 yards) which is very pleasant.

It was very busy when we stayed and someone decided to pitch almost touching our tent when we were out for the day. He then parked his car in front of our door and sat watching us as we struggled to get in. Unreal.

Odd selfish folk aside, this site is up there with the best of them and I will no doubt be back again soon.

Date of Visit: June 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Muddie 1 review from this member

Arrived mid-afternoon on the Friday, checked into friendly reception & was given ticket for tent & code [needed at night] for shower/toilet block. Majority of pitches were flat & we found space round the edge by the wall.

In the block there's the showers & toilets [separate male & female that seem to be heated 24/7], a room with washing-up sinks and another room for laundry. All areas kept reasonably clean. To be sure of a hot shower you need to go outside peak times. [I understand there's a freezer to re-freeze ice packs but didn't use that, or the chemical disposal.Thingy.]

Ate at both Barn End Bar & Brotherswater Inn & both were good - the Inn is a little more expensive, I think. Barn End seemed to be the busier and has a quiz on Saturday.

We didn't have children with us, but there was no separate play area for them so they played where they could around the tents. Maybe we were lucky but this didn't cause us [or them] problems.

The shop stocks basic food supplies and a selection of camping gear [e.G. Airbeds, pegs], maps, toys - certainly more than I expected.

No need for alarm clocks for an early start - the ravens [crows?] took care of that with raucus abandon. I took the opportunity to get an early, hot, shower. But then went back to bed!

All in all, this is a friendly site with good facilities in the middle of some beautiful country and excellent walking. I would certainly go again.

Reviewer: ThePatFamily 3 reviews from this member

Stumbled across this site on Easter weekend when our usual haunts were full. And so glad we found it - we really love this site.

Apart from the fabulous setting, surrounded by mountains and a stones throw away from Brotherswater, the staff are really friendly and will help out with any queries. They pointed out some lovely local walks for us directly from the site. The shop is well stocked and reasonably priced. We had some local sausages from there.Yum!

The site is very flat and not too big with easy access (though a bit steep at the entrance) from the Kirkstone Pass road, right next to Brotherswater Inn. Tents can pitch freely in the centre of the site, vans/hook ups around the outside. We were able to see our children playing from one side of the site to the other. One downside is that there is no open space for ball games so if the site is busy the children end up playing on the track around the site - luckily there isn't any traffic to speak of!

The washing facilities are clean and abundant. If you are desperate for a steamy shower go at quieter times, otherwise fine for a quick wash. No token/coins required. I managed myself and two children in one cubicle quite easily so there would be plenty of room for one! There are hooks on the back of doors so bring a hanging soapbag as no shelves in cubicles. No hairdryers but ther is a socket for your own.

Free Freezer for blocks though some of ours went AWOL so make sure you have your name on your blocks. Plenty of space and sinks for washing dishes. Laundry room looked fine, too.

Though we haven't yet visited the Barn End bar we were told that the real ale there was good! We liked the site so much that we returned the following weekend and have booked to go back August Bank Holiday.

Be aware, there is a three night minimum at Bank Holidays but the site is so good you won't want to stay fewer nights!

Reviewer: Mel Camper 11 reviews from this member

We booked here from good Friday to may day so ten nights in all. The campsite staff were really helpful during the booking process and gave me information about the facilities and bars.

We could pitch where we liked on arrival and the site was around 70% full. The site has good toilets and showers - the temperature of which varies depending on demand - so shower at off peak times. The laundry / washing up area is ample and there is a freezer where you can freeze your ice packs.

On site there is the pub the brothers water inn which is open all day / year. Food and drink both good. Also inside is the bunk bar which was open over the bank holiday weekends it served food and ha

Is a quiz on Saturday nights.

Also the shop is well stocked with bacon, eggs and sausages but some other meat would have been welcome.

Lots of walks from the campsite we did almost all the valleys and peaks, and close to glen ridding and patterdale too.

No problems at all during our stay other than really busy site on royal wedding weekend - some groups could have pitched more considerably but there was no real bother.

Reviewer: Lahha12 1 review from this member

Just returned from four days camping at Sykeside. The site is fairly small with an unbeatable location. The site is lovely and flat for tents. Great walks starting and ending at the campsite and only a short distance by car from Ullswater and Ambleside.

All the staff were friendly and helpful and the shop was well stocked. The Brotherswater Inn and The Barn End are both great for meals and drinks although The Barn End is only open at the weekend. There are also numerous plug sockets so you can charge your phone.

The toilet and shower blocks are adequate but a little dated, nowhere to put your stuff when showering, the water was usually hot but went a bit cold on the Saturday but the campsite was full.

Also a freezer where you can just freeze your ice packs at no charge. We all had a great time and will definitely come back.

Date of Visit: February 2011 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: ChrisFromWigan 7 reviews from this member

Sykeside is at the north end of Kirkstone pass, south of Ullswater. I visited at the end of February and, as it was out of season, those with tents were asked to pitch on a well drained terraced area just above a small car park.

This was reasonable as the main camping field was still very wet from the winter weather. The entrance to the site is at the Brotherswater Inn on the main road, which is where you check in during the out of season months, sine the normal reception building and shop were closed.

The main utility block, which includes toilets, showers, pot washing and laundry facilities is 100 yards from the pub down a steep drive. The same utility block houses the reception/shop and Barn End Bar, which is not open all year round. A further 50 yards gets you to the camping field.

The staff were very welcoming and provided me with helpful advice about the site.

I took plenty of food with me for this trip but on seeing what the Brotherswater Inn had to offer, I did not do much cooking. The pub is open all day and provides breakfast and dinner. Although the breakfast was a reasonable price, the evening meals were a bit expensive, but the quality of the food and cooking made it worth the expense.

The owners did warn me to get to the pub early for food (6pm) as it gets very busy. And guess what? It did! The pub also sold the local brew from the Jennings brewery (well it has to, if it is in the Lakes!).

A very good camp site, which I hope to re-visit later in the year.

Date of Visit: October 2010 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Metalhead 27 reviews from this member

Spent two nights at Sykeside in what has to be one of the Lake Districtís most scenic and beautiful areas right at the foot of Kirkstone Pass. We took my mother-in-law, who stayed at the Brotherswater Inn who run and own Sykeside, while we camped at Sykeside, so everyone was happy.

We were met with friendly staff within the hotel and down at the campsite too. The campsite has a decent shop with the Barn End Bar tagged on the rear of the building. Early October now but the bar was open late afternoon for a quick pint or two. Nice to see the campsite bar has an ale or two different to the main Inn though we didnít eat in the Barn End Bar, choosing to sit in the Brotherswater Inn and admiring the high up vantage point.

The campsite itself is well laid out. All the vans in one side parked around the edges where the hook ups are. The central portion looked a bit boggy but we had heavy rain the previous week. There was another camping field off to the left anyway.

The site has a dog walking area, and thereís a nice path at the end of the site that leads to Brotherswater and on to Patterdale in one direction, and up into the hills the other way. You could probably find endless walks from this campsite.

The facilities were clean and tidy. I saw the site warden in there mopping the floors at 10 in the evening, making sure they were kept clean. The toilet cubicles were a little cramped but not really a problem. The showers were included and although some have said they had issues with the water temperature, I had a shower one of the evenings and it wasnít a problem.

There are warning signs as the water is sourced from the fells. Despite the site getting busier through the weekend, the facilities never looked too busy. Main downside to the showers is the fixed head. The spray reaches the door and anything hanging up on it with no shower curtain to protect anything. It became a bit of a juggling act to stop my clothes getting wet while I showered.

Iíd recommend strolling up to the main Inn for breakfast. It sets you up for the day, and the views from the panoramic windows are spectacular. I could never tire of a breakfast view like that!

We were happy with the site and wouldnít hesitate to recommend it, or return ourselves. The location is gorgeous. Mum-in-law loved the main hotel too. It seems the area was popular with walkers, cyclists, families, just about everyone really.

Date of Visit: September 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: I_eric 2 reviews from this member

This was 3rd time camping and first time on this site. We had driven by it last time we were up in The Lakes and thought we would give it a go purely because of its location. It's in a stunning spot with spectacular fells surrounding it.

It's a nice size site, not to big or small, and has that feeling I like of being a bit out of the way. It really chucked it down through the week prior to us getting there, and when we were there, so the ground was a bit soggy in the middle, but we found a nice little high spot that was dry.

The facilities are good. The shower/toilet/laundry block was perfectly adequate. Seen some others say there wasn't much hot water. Not this time. It was piping and plentiful. All the facilities are free, except washing machines, at point of use and were of a good standard and are regular cleaned.

The shop is well stocked with essentials and the staff were very helpful and nice to boot. There is a cracking pub, which I think is run by the site, at the entrance which sells fabulous food, which was hot, loads of it and served promptly. We didn't use the little Barn End Bar but it looked cosy and busy.

Would we go back? Yes. Would we recommend it? Absolutely

Date of Visit: August 2010 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Minsterman64 4 reviews from this member

Visited this site for the about fifth or sixth time though not been for about 10 years so I was curious to see what changes if any had taken place. The only change to previous visits was that we had to put the tent up in the rain. Having been camping for many years I suppose I should count myself as fortunate that this was the first time I'd ever had to do this and we all got soaked to the skin.Not that I'm blaming the site for this!

I was pleased to see that very little had changed and it was pretty much as I recall it.

So the plus for me without a doubt are the spectacular views you can get on this site. Definitely the biggest reason for pitching up here. Whilst the ground got very wet as we had 24 hours of showers and heavy rain with little break it soon drained.

Toilets and showers were fine, hot water was variable. It's either very hot or very tepid depending on when you go the showers though I never had to queue for either showers or dishwashing facilities. One thing to be wary of in the mens showers ( and I'd guess the same in the ladies) is that a plastic bag to put your clothes in is handy as the cubicles are quite small and the showers certainly send a spray out. If you hang your clothes on the door you may find they get damp!

The shop was fine and sold handy packs of bacon.Think it was about £1.80 for six rashers which was great for bacon roll at breakfast.

We also ate in the pub at the top, Brotherswater Inn, and did find it busy, maybe more so as the bar on the site was closed until the weekend ( we camped mid week).The food was the usual pub fare with maybe a pound or two stuck on the price. Certainly had one or two nice real ales though which was great.

My top tip. If your after a cheap meal then I'd recommend heartily the pub called Lakeview ( I think) which is in the modern building near where the boats depart from in Windermere.( How on earth did they get planning permission for that.It looks so out of place?) We had a carvery meal there which cost £3.49 each and was excellent value with a nice view over the lake. Got to admit the pub has seen better days but for just over £3 I'm not going to complain too much!

Despite all the warnings about the badgers we never saw a single one though ten years ago we did.My youngest was gutted!

Previous     132 Reviews in total, now showing 61 to 70      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

Win a £299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win a Holiday at Woolacombe Bay Holiday Park

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire