Reviews of Hertford Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > South East > Hertfordshire > Hertford > Hertford Camping And Caravanning Club Site Reviews

Hertford Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Mangrove Road (not Ball Park)
Hertford

No Kitchen Facilities   No Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point   Wifi Access
 Shop On Site   Bar <1 mile   Restaurant or Cafe or Takeaway <1 mile
 Fishing <1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Sea Views   Not Working Farm   No Campfires Allowed   Open All Year
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <5 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  86 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9

Date of Visit: September 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  With friends
Reviewer: Ratty 245 reviews from this member

Booking at this site was easy and can be done online or on the phone and the email confirmation came through quickly with details for arrival, etc. We arrived at the gate and were met by a friendly warden who gave us an info leaflet with the barrier code. He then cycled ahead of us and showed us where to pitch.

The initial pitch was quite shady, and a quick walk back to reception and a request to move and this was met with a helpful and friendly response and we got to choose our own spot in the rally field. The fields are all very flat and there is so much space. Half the site is wooded and the rest open space, this gave a really nice natural feel to the site and us and the dog loved the space, the wooded dog walk area and the site in general.

There are a few toilet blocks, however as our visit was late September only one was open, which was not a problem for us. I did use the toilet but not the showers and it was all very clean, well maintained, well stocked and Covid advice place prominently.

There are plenty of fresh water points, bins, dog bins, motorhome waste point and a lovely playground for the youngsters, however this was closed due to Covid.

Hundreds of pitches mixed between grass without electric, grass with electric and hardstanding. All were flat, well spaced and very well maintained.

There is walking from the site, but you have to leave the main entrance and walk the quiet road for a bit before hitting the footpaths.

Hertford is close by, and is walkable, however a quick taxi ride will get you there in 5 minutes. Hertford is lovely, it has plenty of the main big shops and also the smaller independents. Ware is close by. London is easily reached from Hertford Train Station.

The site is close to plenty of places to visit and also easy to get to being close to the A10, M25, A1M etc.

This is a slice of heaven that is very peaceful, relaxed and perfect for my needs. I will return time and time again.

Date of Visit: August 2020 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Fudge59 26 reviews from this member

Chose Hertford as our first Covid era break. Check in was efficient, staff waiting near reception who checked our booking and guided us to our spot, which we were able to choose as we'd been there before and didn't need EHU.

The site is in a lovely position about a 10-15 minute walk from the town centre. It's very spacious with plenty of room, the staff were very friendly and helpful. The facilities had a few of the showers, toilets and washbasins closed off, but didn't feel that busy compared to previous visits, I don't know if people were using their own facilities in their vans.

Noise wise, it was quiet apart from some music in the distance overnight on Saturday night (very late, from 0100-0500). We may have heard it once on a previous visit, so I don't know if there is some sort of outdoor nightlife somewhere in the vicinity on Saturday nights. It didn't keep us awake though.

There's plenty of pubs and places to eat in Hertford, and Ware (a walk/ride along the valley, or one stop by train) is also nice. We can particularly recommend the open air pool there, which would probably need to be booked in advance.

Date of Visit: July 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Extended family
Reviewer: Morris 1 review from this member

Nice peaceful campsite, with some great country walks on the doorstep.

Close proximity to Hertford town centre, but with out the noise.

Facilities partially restricted, due to cover situation, which is understandable.

Date of Visit: July 2020  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Cmlj19 1 review from this member

Easy to find and nice and quiet.

Clean, friendly, spacious and very professional.

Will definitely visit again.

Lovely surroundings and great for a chilled break

Date of Visit: July 2020 Unit:  Motorhome
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Pca1958 20 reviews from this member

So, with our last trip away being in Feb 2020, it was great to head out and arrive at Hertford. First time here, but met up with family who lived close by.

Check in was excellent, and we were shown a choice of pitches, we chose a hardstanding and flat pitch, without being under trees. Toilet blocks was clean, which we used a couple of times with a one way system in place.

Only point to mention is the wifi, whilst its free, on our pitch the reception was poor.

Would recommend site

Date of Visit: July 2020 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 4 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Adamedwardsteather 30 reviews from this member

This was the first week any campsite was open after the Covid19 lockdown, so interesting to see how this worked:

No reception, but we were met on arrival - friendly and informative staff - and guided to the area for small tents. This is close, but not too close to the first toilet block. The nearest other people must have been 30m away in vans.

The obvious changes were in that loo block: No laundry and no family room. In the loos every other cublical was locked out of use so only 2 of three showers, only 2 of three toilets. Entry was via the central lobby and exit by the end door. Lots of arrows on the floor to create a one way flow if needed.

The whole block shut for clearning from 09:00-10:30 and again in the afternoon. We got caught out by the 09:00 closure during which you have to hike to the other block where only the family room (which is a single loo plus baby changing spaces) was open. To judge by the chlorine smell in the loo block post cleaning there was some heavy disinfectant being used each time, which is good.

Most of the people on site were in caravans or motorhomes. I counted only 2 other tents. So I assume most people were using their own facilities, not the site loos. We were told the second block would be open for the next weekend as more people were booked.

In Hertford most cafes were doing takeaway. Fish and chips not a problem to get. It's a 5 min bike ride down hill. Use the footpath and back roads via the church to avoid the A414 inner ring road. (From the town centre you then have National Cycle Route 61 which runs west to easy with easy cycling off road. )

If you have a young family, the on site playground is closed, but the big town playground at Hartham Moor is open. I've reflected that in the score for child friendliness. If you have young children you will need to take them off site for things to do unless they want to cycle around the site roads.

We did a number of bike rides into the Lea Valley and a highlight was the cafe at the Old Mill, Broxbourne. Takeaway only, but next door is a picnic area and a spur off the canal, plus trains to spot. The all day breakfast bap or panini is highly recommended.

If you are cycling and heading for the Lea Valley, a useful tip is to head south along the road from the camp site and use one of two bridleways across Highfield Wood to get through to the road north of the Paradise Wildlife Park zoo. Both routes are fine for most bikes but not surfaced so not for slick tyres. Pushing up the hills is needed briefly on both routes unless you have super grippy tyres. If you then take the road to Nazeing Marsh you get to the cycle routes in the Lea Valley Park with the mimimum crossing through urban areas.

We did one ride using this route and then looping back along national routes 1 snd 61 to Hertford via Rye House (which is worth going to look at), plus another southwards to Waltham Abbey. Lots of water and ducks. You can cycle off road all the way to the Olympic Park in London if you are keen. Just allow time for narrow towpaths and people.

Finally, if you get south of the site to Monks Green go and read about the sad WWII tale of the doodlebug tragedy. There's an information board just south of the entrance to the Monks Green industrial park.

The site is quiet as you would expect. There is some noise from planes flying into Stansted and sadly some local traffic noise from the A414 as late at night the speed freaks are making use of the empty roads. But this at enough of a distance to be irritating rather than a real nuisance.

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 4 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: PedroPete61 22 reviews from this member

This was my first time here, having driven past it for years. It was a big site on the outside of Hertford but walkable to town 10-15 mins.

A selection of shops Big and small and a Brewery as well as spoons. Bus links as you would expect and food outlets. Easy to find but a busy area I did not here traffic as others and the odd Plane now and again.

Well worth another visit on my way either north or south. Nice staff and welcoming people

Date of Visit: March 2019 Unit:  Campervan
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Silversal 1 review from this member

Surprisingly busy for this time of year. Nice set up lots of space. Toilet block was excellent (although my wife said the female toilet smelt of drains. )

A dog walk available in a nearby field and the town of Hertford has everything you could want in terms of restaurants, theatre, pubs.

Potential for long walks along canals and footpaths.

Date of Visit: June 2018 Unit:  Tent
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Bridgeywidge 22 reviews from this member

I wanted a quick camping fix and decided on this site for a weekend break as it was only a 35 minute drive from home - allowing my husband to join me easily (if so inclined) after leaving work on Friday night.

The site is easy to find but, there is a bit of tricky junction to negotiate from the main road both ways - particularly if towing. I was greeted very efficiently at Reception - although someone had made an error and booked me in as 'grass only' when I had paid for EHU. This was quickly resolved.

I had a limited choice of pitches for a small tent with EHU - but picked a spot on what was termed 'the quieter area' nearish to Reception and the first facilities block, by a line of trees for some shade (it was a sweltering weekend). This backed onto the approach road but, after the rushhour rat-runs (not really busy) this road was quite quiet.

I had pitch 121 but noticed that there could be one in front of me also - which would have been cosy - but I'm wondering how often that would happen as the overall site is large.

The site is surprisingly expansive as I discovered on my circuits - 1. 25m around the site perimeter roads but, it is broken into tree edged 'paddock' areas each with a name. Caravans and motor homes are well-catered for with lots of hardstandings plus some grass only pitches. Most tents seemed to be in the further fields - the rally one and near the pond - although there was an enclave towards the centre with some trees providing morning shelter (I wish I'd had the option of one of those but I'm not sure they had EHU - it's not obvious from the site plan at Reception either - I looked several times for a potential future visit).

The whole site is really level, although as said the roads are a bit uneven in places. You are only allowed one car per pitch but, second cars can be left outside or on a grass area near to the children's play area (safer than it sounds as they have oodles of space and separated from the road by a hedgerow.

Watch out for children on bikes - the site is large and they enjoyed the freedom this gave to roam unfettered.

The pitches are open, not delineated by bushes or low fences as in some places which enhances the open aspect of the site, and there are lots of trees - including a little wood in the centre which seemed a Mecca for little explorers.

The two facility blocks have a good number of loos and washbasins but the number of showers (3 in each in the women's) seemed a bit low for the size of the site - although I didn't queue I could imagine one might at popular times.

The cleaning rota meant there was a 30-minute time slot where both were shut at the same time. Curious. The owners are making an effort with some floral displays which lifted the look (a bit of colour is always good and makes it look more loved and less functional) and there are some benches and picnic tables sprinkled near Reception in the sun.

My husband had too much work to do so opted to stay home after all, leaving me to fly solo. The site staff seemed aware of this and it felt kept an eye out for me - which felt good. They seemed friendly but busy (a hot weekend in June) and I cannot thank them enough for tracking down my mini pepper-mill that had dropped from my bag when packing to leave and not discovered until my return home.

I used to work in Hertford so it felt a bit odd to visit as a 'tourist' but there is quite a lot to offer the visitor both in the county town (which is small given it's significance to the county) and also in Ware. Lots of pretty old buildings.

I walked from the site to the town - a 15-minute walk downhill - and then along the banks of the river to Ware - an easy flat stroll beside water meadows and the river (I spotted an egret but not the elusive kingfisher this time) and numerous baby water fowl and vessels. A round trip without any refreshment stops (there are plenty in both towns) took me 2. 5 hours. Ware Priory gardens are worth a visit (and there's an open air pool).

There is an overriding background drone of the A10 and A414 which is most evident at night and when doing the walk above but, that said, the site is generally peaceful and I spent a very pleasant two nights there, sharing the stars coming out, and full moon coming up with a bunny family (so cute), a pheasant, bats, owls and birds.

I would recommend but, hideaway and small it is not.

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Campervan
Reviewer: Kevinsheldon 33 reviews from this member

Stayed over a weekend in mid May on a hardstanding pitch with electricity which was dead level and a good size to sit outside our 5. 99m campervan with the side awning deployed.

The polite receptionist dealt with us efficiently and guided us to our preferred well marked pitch.

Like most other roads in the country, the one running through the site is potholed and requires attention. Because we'd had lots of rain that weekend, the holes caused more trouble for me at night. The site is not well lit after dark and I didn't take a torch. Consequently, on my way to the toilet block late on, I was stepping into one deep puddle after another! Forewarned is forearmed!

The toilet block itself is functional but a bit unloved and would benefit from being updated.

The main reason for our visit was undoubtedly its location. A short walk gets you into Hertford town centre where there are numerous pubs, cafes and restaurants plus a rail link to London.

It's a peaceful site but within walking distance of a busy town. Ideal for a fit couple.

Kevin Sheldon

Previous     86 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Write a Review of this Site to Win a 150 Amazon Voucher!

Is Hertford Camping And Caravanning Club Site child friendly?  YES, it accepts children & has a playground  View all facilities

Where is the nearest shop to Hertford Camping And Caravanning Club Site?  There is a shop on site  View all facilities

Is Hertford Camping And Caravanning Club Site dog friendly?  YES  View all facilities

Other Sites Near Hertford      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Hertfordshire

UKCS Meet Truckfest W Midlands and Wales 03/07 to 04/07
Exciting family entertainment with weekend camping ...more

Please note we are not responsible for the content of external sites & any reviews represent the author's personal view only. Please report any error here. You may view our privacy and cookie policy and terms and conditions here. All copyrights & other intellectual property rights in the design and content of this web site are reserved to the UKCampsite.co.uk © 1999 - 2021