Visitor Reviews - Graffham Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite and Caravan Park Search > UK > England > South East > West Sussex > Site Reviews

Graffham Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Great Bury
Graffham
Petworth
West Sussex   (Browse area)
GU28 0QF

Open: 01/04 to 03/11

No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   No Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 No Shop   No Bar   No Restaurant   Wifi Access
 Fishing   Wild Swimming   Indoor Pool   Outdoor Pool
 Horse Riding   Cycle Hire   Golf   Tennis
 Beach   Watersports   Boat Launch / Mooring
 Waterside Pitches   Public Transport <1 mile  Dog Walk

Reviews:  111 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: WHeaps 7 reviews from this member

We have been meaning to visit this site for ages, and really pleased we finally got around to staying. We had previously had a look when passing, and decided to ask for one of the grassy pitches when booking, which we got. A lovely site, really peaceful and secluded. Quite different from other club sites we have used, as it is much less 'regimented', but still all the advantages of a friendly efficient welcome, and spotless excellent facilities. Yes, you need a torch (and good sense of direction) to get to the main loo block after dark, but that is the fun of camping.

Location is perfect. South Downs literally on the doorstep, but don't ignore the fantastic heath-land walks immediately out of the campsite entrance.

Graffham village has an excellent (if rather up-market) shop and a nice pub (both of which set prices and range of goods to suit the rather affluent local population, but much better than driving miles for supplies)

An excellent site which we will visit again.

Date of Visit: April 2018 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Tanyacat 2 reviews from this member

We spent 2 nights here during a warm spell in April. We took our van and awning and our 2 young kids.

The campsite was easy to find down a long, fairly well maintained road. On arrival we were met by one of the campsite staff who allocated us a spot and then walked us to it. We found the staff very welcoming and helpful.

Our large level pitch was tucked away on its own which was very nice. The whole campsite seems to be like this - with bigger sections of a few pitches where you could camp with friends and family. It is very woody, so perfect for not getting to hot in summer! The ground was fairly easy to put pegs in but you would need a mallet.

The wash facilities were clean and well maintained and, above all, heated which really makes a difference in the colder months. Hot water was plentiful.

There was a fish and chip van that came on Friday evening. We didn't try the fish but the chips were amazing!

It is worth noting that you cannot do any charcoal BBQing here as it is woodland and therefore under strict fire rules. You can use a gas stove however, to cook things.

For walkers there are loads of lovely trails directly from the campsite that we loved.

We will definitely be back!

Date of Visit: September 2017 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Vivebunny 3 reviews from this member

Myself and my 2 teenage daughters stayed for 2 nights. Unfortunately it rained for 90% of the time. No doubt more experienced campers than I would have looked at the weather forecast and not bothered turning up. More hardy campers than I wouldn't have minded the horrible weather.

Whilst the site is very pretty I did come home with a lot of mud, sand and leaf debris because the pitches are woodland and not grass. I also had a lot of condensation in my folding camper - more than any other trip.

The Site Owners were lovely and very helpful. The facilities are great; clean; well organised and when 1 set is being cleaned the other set remain open. The site is very, very pretty, lots of walks and nearby attractions (but we are local so didn't do them). I went on a short walk that was well signposted, into nearby National Trust property.

I'm not sure I'll come back here. I camped for 2 days but cleaned up and dried out for 3. I'm notching this trip up to experience. I think I'm a grass camper at heart.

Date of Visit: August 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Cactusprawn 3 reviews from this member

Slightly bumpy pot holed approach road. Site set in a wooded area on different levels with small ‘lay-bys’ off the main access road through the site. Mainly hard standing (ie not grass but hard earth some a bit sandy). Very pretty in the woods and many very private. Some share two plots. Staff very helpful and show you to the site on foot or on bike if it’s a bit far away. Small shop selling essentials and ice creams. Two sets of toilets / facilities. Site pretty dark at night (no street lighting) so take a torch. Lots of birds (robins) to feed. Great fun and you really feel tucked away in the woods. Nice pub about an hours walk away (?) and do stop at Graffham village shop which is well stocked and interesting to look around. We had a great stay and will return if we are in the area again

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Kateandjames 46 reviews from this member

A lovely rustic site nestled at the bottom of the South Downs and open

and wooded heathland. Plenty of walking with pub lunches. Pitches aren't particularly level, chocs advised for vans, but all pitches are nestled into the woodland. A site that apparently was left to the CCC by an ardent camper, there are still some of the original facilities which complement the modern toilet, shower facilities. My only negative, if its dry dust gets in every corner of your van, if its very we then I'm guessing it could be a bit muddy, but I may be wrong.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Smelljeffshand 7 reviews from this member

Just spent an amazing weekend here. The weather was stunning. The walks brilliant (South Downs way is a must) them wardens where the friendliest people you could wish for. The loos spotless as was the rest of the site. You could see them working hard on and off all day( the wardens that is. Not the loos).

The site itself is amongst the forest and the pitches are huge. Divided by bamboo and rhododendrons bushes which gave quite a lot of privacy. You can pick up footpaths straight from the site. And there are many. I walked from the site through Westland stud farm then into seaford collage and up on to the Southdowns which was wonderful.

Of course site rules apply and I saw no one abusing them. Very quite after 11.

For my overall experience I would give graffham 10/10

My only gripe. The entrance sign was so small I missed it first time round

Graffham I applaud you 👍

Date of Visit: August 2016 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Waggyfromderby 34 reviews from this member

Too organised a site for me, too many rules, too far to the showers and like a maze to find them. Not a site for me. But I think its a good site for families especially for kids to meet and play with others. The walks in the surrounding woodland/ Marshes great for the dog but make sure you have a sat nav on your phone, its very easy to get lost. No pubs within walking distance. Nearby NT place not dog friendly, however café Tiffin's tea room is, this is a great place for lunch or afternoon tea. Lots of lovely walks around the town, follow the town trail (leaflet from Tiffins), visit the ancient cemetery, fascinating, but watch the fast road you have to cross.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Pmaynard 10 reviews from this member

If you only like wide open spaces and lots of sunshine DONT visit here. If on the other hand you fondly remember Scout or Guide camps in natural surroundings amongst the trees then this is almost certainly for you. No open play areas but acres of woodlands for children to enjoy building camps.

Wherever you are pitched you will be amongst trees and shaded to some or a greater extent. The ground gets a bit gritty when it has rained. The main toilet block is spotless but a little dated and you could find yourself a long way from it. The second block without showers is very basic. The staff were great and Friday night's fish and chip van a real treat. A very pleasant walk through trees & across fields or along the road to the local pub and wonderful village shop. The surrounding area is beautiful with many interesting places. Best of all is the peace and solitude. We liked it very much.

Date of Visit: July 2015 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Amy1447 10 reviews from this member

Before I start this review, I would like to state that over the years my husband and I have camped, then bought a small 2 berth caravan and worked our way up to a twin axle. We have just arrived home from an 8wk trip and had a fantastic time staying on both Camping and Caravan Club Sites and the Caravan Club sites. On our fifth week we arrived at Graffham Camping and Caravan club site. On arrival we booked in and as the norm were then shown to our 'pitch ' and were taken round a narrow track which had a tight corner and was advised to try and avoid some tree roots sticking out of the side of small banking. After turning down another small track we were told that 'this is your pitch will leave you to it!and that muddy patch will dry out' and off he went on his merry way. The pitch (if you could call it that)was a little further down a small banking with another caravan occupying a space very close. There was no way we could reverse out and the only way into the pitch was for hubby to do about 20 manoeuvres to get the caravan into position. It was already on my mind how the in the world were we going to get out at the end of the weeks stay. We then went to fill the aqua rolls. This was another adventure, over tree roots, terribly uneven tracks to find the water tap, waste water and also the chemical disposal point, which had seen better days. This was also where our 'toilet block ' and washing up sinks were based. The actual shower block was in another area. We had been told 'it was up the track to the left of the office at the top '. We asked another caravanner where the block was and with a grin on their face just said keep going up the hill. The block was spacious and clean, but the showers need upgrading. When showering, the cubicle fills with water, the clothes hooks are placed on the side walls and from experience do not accidentally catch your towel or clothes as they will fall into a pool of water. During the week the shower was always luke warm with low pressure. We would have showered in our van if it had been easier to fill up the aqua rolls. If you are pitched near to the shower block then I don't think there are as many issues. But if you are shown to pitches to the right of the office then there are I think plenty of issues. The tracks are very uneven with stones and tree roots sticking out. If you have difficulty in walking then you would struggle. The toilet block nearest to us was little more that a basic breeze block building with a plastic corrugated roof that needed a good cleaning. At night it was pitch black with no lighting to assist if you needed to go to either the toilet block or the shower block. This surely must be a Health and Safety issue? If you like camping and going back to basics then this is the site for you, but should be at reduced prices, you are paying the same as sites with first class facilities. I could go on. But to end I would say that this site is not a suited for twin axle caravans, the pitches need to be made into proper designated pitches, with either grass or hardstanding. If the club handbook had made it clear the position of the shower block if you are to be placed in a certain part of the site, the condition of the pitches, tracks /road! and that it could be very tight manoeuvring large units, we would not have booked. Also before anyone comments that Graffham is a woodland site, we had stayed at a wonderful woodland site the week before and our next site after Graffham was a woodland site, which again was beautiful. The site was certainly one to put down to experience and we most certainly will not be back.

Date of Visit: May 2015 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Lizziehood 8 reviews from this member

I really enjoyed the woodland camping experience. The site is surrounded by places to visit. Midhurst is beautiful and has a lovely walk from the Cowdray Estate (which also has a great cafe, farm shop and superb wine shop!). The local pub, The Foresters Arms, does beautiful food, wine and has very friendly owners. The setting of the site is very peaceful and all the pitches offer privacy. However, some more showers would have been good. The site has around 90 pitches and only 3 showers in the women's block, which although spotlessly clean, made showering quite difficult and a queue could normally be found. Also, the site has just one washing machine. If these things do not really bother you however, I would say this site is pretty much perfect. I would definitely come back again.

Previous     111 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Save to Virtual Brochure  Add this Site to your Virtual Brochure                                Share  Google Plus  Email Link  Tweet This!  Share on Facebook

Other sites within 10 miles   -    All Sites in West Sussex   -   Search for a site

Three sets of AutoSock Car Snow Socks to be won Win a Weeks Holiday at Stafford Moor Fishery

UKCS Meet Caravan, Camping & Motorhome Show 19th to 24th Feb, NEC
See the latest ranges of motorhomes, caravans, holiday homes, tents, awnings and accessories ...more