Visitor Reviews - Windermere Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Kendal > Windermere Camping And Caravanning Club Site Reviews

Windermere Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Ashes Lane
Staveley
Kendal
Cumbria   (Browse area)
LA8 9JS

Open: 07/03 To 06/01

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Kids Playground   TV Room   No Games Room   No Evening Ents
 Fishing 1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Beach   Watersports 1 mile   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 5 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  116 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Ratty 195 reviews from this member

I visited this site as I was heading deeper into the Lakes the next day to walk Illgill Head and Scafell and this was the best choice on the way for me. I also chose it based on the name, and foolishly did not research it properly as I wanted to stroll into Windermere from the site too. However this site is actually about 5 miles from Windermere, but you can still walk it if you like, but I did not have time, bit gutted but completely my fault.

Don't miss the turning off the A591 otherwise it is quite a long round trip to come back to try again, you shouldn't miss it as the sign is huge, but just bear that in mind.

On arrival I parked up and went into reception, the lady in there was really friendly and checked me in and explained where things were, where the pub / restaurant was and where I was to meet the next warden who will direct me to the pitch.

The reception also doubles as a shop and they had all the essentials, but I did not buy anything so cannot comment on the price of items.

The barriers are operated by a key fob and the gates are locked between 11pm and 7am.

I met the second warden who directed me to my pitch, he gave me a choice as it was midweek and I was only staying one night, so I chose one near the trees, but still got the sunshine into the evening.

As with most C&CC sites the pitches are quite close, and this is not normally my thing, however most people did not leave their caravans or motorhomes so it was not busy with people and dogs walking past.

This site is huge with many pitches to chose from, some in the trees, some in the open, some with and some without hookup and a tent only area too.

There were a couple of toilets blocks on site and these were spotless, each with plenty of toilets, showers, sinks and washing up. The showers are push button, but they lasted a while and the water was always hot.

There is also plenty of rubbish bins, with recycling point, chemical disposal, motorhome waste and water points.

The on site pub / restaurant looked nice and the prices were reasonable, however dogs are not allowed inside so this stopped me having a pint and something to eat.

Dogs are welcome on site, but the usual rules apply, on leads, clean up after them, restrict their barking, etc. There is not dedicated dog walk as such, however there is a path running down the side of the site and this leads to open countryside with stunning views of mountains and rolling hills. I took a 5 mile stroll and it was peaceful and there were sheep, so keep those dogs on a lead.

Locally Windermere is 5 miles away for you shopping, pubs, lake tours, etc. And the whole of the Lakes are on your doorstep.

A very friendly site, with great facilities and free site wide wifi. All this for 14 per night. Not my usual type of site, but I would defo recommend and I would stay here again as a stop off before heading deeper into the Lakes.

Date of Visit: September 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bluesjnr 4 reviews from this member

I have to wonder if the Caravan and Camping club carry out any checks on the standards at sites that carry their brand as this one tarnishes the reputation of this organisation and colours my view of sites that come under their umbrella.

Superficially, it looks lovely but when you start to look under the veneer, serious cracks start to become evident. Let me start out by saying that the staff I met were all very pleasant despite reports to the contrary in other reviews. What was made clear in the welcome pack is the fact that they are not willing to help you, out of hours, unless you are experiencing a 'blue light' emergency. I'm not suggesting they should be at every bodies beck and call 24/7 but being available to assist at odd times kinda comes with the job.

To my own observations. Our first morning walk with our dogs resulted in a rather unsavoury sight right outside the site gates. There were three vans parked up with people sleeping in them, one a plumber who's kit was strewn all over the road and who had empty beer bottles balanced all over his vehicle and whom we had the unfortunate experience of catching a glimpse of as he rolled out of the back of his van. I'll be kind and just say, perhaps he was having a bad start to his day. I'm confused as to why the staff and owners condoned this parking up? Clearly they were not staying on site and clearly they could have been moved on. If somebody had cared enough to do anything about it.

As we proceeded on our walk on a road adjacent to the site and onto which the tented area backed we were treated to yet another example of SOME of the the people who use this site. Somebody had used the lane as a toilet and the disgusting smeared toilet roll was clearly visible draped over a tree. It may have been lobbed over the wall by a camper. Who knows?

Talking of things toilet, my partner reported that in the ladies toilet a large gap in the stall doors and the arrangement of the stalls allowed a view of the person using the facility whilst going about their business. Many reviews have criticised the state of the toilets and this is yet another observation. In fairness and for balance, I found the male toilets to be OK but in need of modernisation.

Rules are something not taken seriously at Windermere Caravan Site as rule breaches are common and the most common breach is the most dangerous. Speeding. All staff whether on bikes or driving around in that noisy old tractor completely ignore the 5 mph rule. They care not one jot for your or your childs safety. They are fairly laissez faire about their own safety it has to be said as, more than once, the noisy old tractor buzzed past with a passenger standing on the draw bar. I would submit that this is a breach of H&S regulations and it's only a matter of time.

Machinery puttering about the site was commonplace as an even noisier dump truck was a regular sight, speeding around delivering God knows what to God knows where? We were regaled one morning with a 7. 5 tonne truck (from Palletline, I think it was) speeding around the site and, surprise, the driver finding those tight turns were just too tight for a unit of this size. This meant that he was required to reverse, which he did with gay abandon. Not for him (or the staff) the inconvenience of making sure nobody was behind him or trying to leave the site in their own vehicle.

The site clearly runs at a profit yet there is no evidence of any significant inner investment in the site and my observation seems to be borne out having read other reviews here. There is a feeling that you are crammed in and this situation could be mitigated if the site were to reduce the hard standing pitches by around 1/3 which would still offer a good level of income. A thorough coppice of the trees would open the site up more also.

Those trees gave the site a dank and dark feel and prevent the sun getting through to the grassed areas meaning that during our wet stay they were soon churned up into mud. Mud that was subsequently dragged in to our awning. The shedding of leaves litters the pathways and they soon breakdown creating more detritus to cling to your shoes which make it's way into your van. Admittedly it was wet when we visited but it looked like the place hadn't seen a leaf blower in quite some time.

Things being left to rot is, once more, a common theme here as they have little side pitches, tucked away in places which seems to be seasonal. One of which had what can only be described as a filthy unsightly van parked on it which hadn't seen a wash in many a year. It's another example of the low standards in the camp site.

One final gripe (I promise) is that they do not take debit cards, only cash. It's 2018 folks, come and join us!

I will certainly not be back as it stands and this site is a blight on the brand of the Camping & Caravan Club. With a bit of investment and an improvement in standards this site could be an absolute corker and the overarching feeling I have on leaving is that of being fleeced.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Truediamond 78 reviews from this member

This site has just about every option open: statics of varying sizes, seasonal pitches, tents, glamping and pods as well as space for caravans and motorhomes. It is such a large site with plenty of shade and spaces that it's probably difficult to feel squashed in. There are several amenity blocks but it can be a fair walk from the top end of the site.

The site itself is a bit of a misnomer, as others have said, as it's about 5 miles outside the town. We didn't go into Staveley, the nearest village and pub so can't give of a view on it. There are plenty of walks close to site, including the first few miles of the Dales Way, an 80 mile path to Ilkley. Surprisingly, no one on site seemed to know about it.

The site just about meets the typical C & C standards but is, we thought, in need of some expenditure. Everything is clean but a lot has seen better days.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sbandmecox 1 review from this member

Never disappoints. Friendly efficient book in. They always do their best to site you on the area you want.

Beautifully clean facilities and with the added bonus of a bar! Lovely centre for local walks and attractions

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Caravan47 7 reviews from this member

Stayed here for 2 weeks.

Friendly helpful staff. Site is well organised, grounds well maintained will grass cut to a very acceptable level. Shower and toilet facilities are placed at convenient locations around the site and are immaculate.

The site is a credit to all the staff. A reasonable travelling time to both Kendal and Windermere. Beautiful site location.

Whilst we do not have children, the children staying on the site did seem to have a great time.

Date of Visit: July 2017 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Reviewer: Nomadyane 6 reviews from this member

I've never stayed on such a large site and was a little apprehensive, but it didn't feel large due to its design. It was busy, but there were plenty of facilities so I did not have to wait for loos or shower. The night-time quiet rule was strictly observed.

Very friendly staff - nothing too much trouble. I wanted to go to a concert one evening which might have meant I was back after the 11pm lock-down, and as my campervan is my transport and my accommodation wondered what to do. No problem - the staff showed me where I could stop outside overnight, showed me where the electric hook-up was and even reminded me to take my cable with me!

I had a good meal in the Whistling Pig on my first night. Watch out for the access from the main road - it's a little tricky and would be quite challenging with a big rig.

Date of Visit: April 2017 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Daisy5 4 reviews from this member

First time in a CC club site so impressed by the high standards in all areas. I agree that the A591 is busy and you need to be ready to turn or do a you turn when coming from Windermere.

The shower/laundry block is clean and very warm. Ideal if the Lakes have given you a cold, wet day. Staff were very friendly and available to answer any questions. Often home made cakes in the clean and tidy shop. Spacious pitches and nice walks from the site. V

ery enjoyable stay. Thank you.

Date of Visit: December 2016 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: JainEm 8 reviews from this member

We arrived Christmas Eve and and it was our first experience of Christmas in the motorhome. We enjoyed it so much, the scenery was beautiful, although the weather was a bit drizzly and VERY windy. The pitches are a comfortable size and the toilet/shower blocks well appointed and spotless.

The little pub on site was very welcoming on Christmas Eve with mulled wine and mince pies. We saw other campers eating and the food looked good. On Christmas morning we woke up to the sight of several rabbits frolicking around in the grass.

We went for a 2 hour walk and came back through Staveley, to enjoy a 'proper' Christmas dinner in the motorhome. We left on Boxing Day to travel up to Scotland, but we'll definitely be back this year. Wonderful!

Date of Visit: June 2016 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Clarky213 11 reviews from this member

Returned here after visiting in 2015.

First of all, a big thank you to the staff who managed to accommodate me even though I had booked for the Kendal Site, not the Windermere site. They transferred my booking and contacted Kendal to let them know I wouldn't be arriving.

Site was as good as I remembered it last year, the weather certainly helps.

On-site pub is reasonably priced and had a nice meal here on the 2nd night.

Took the open top bus (799) from the main road into Bowness, then a boat up to Ambleside. Returned on the Open Top bus back to the Campsite.

Driver will stop on the main road (turn Left at the top of the road).

Bus & Boat ticket 15 gets you unlimited bus journeys & a 1 way ticket on the Windermere Red or Yellow line.

Spent the day around Ambleside. Youth Hostel by Ambleside Pier a fantastic location, cheapish beer and food (Looked ok, but didn't eat here.

Nice walk into Ambleside or a shuttle bus (2) if you can't walk the mile or so.

Lovely Cafe Bar called Stiles where we had lunch on the Main road into Amblesdide.

Plenty of Coffee shops and Pubs around the centre, we settled outside the White Lion which was a Sun Trap.

Toilet blocks were always clean. Only fault I could find was having to go up the hill with my waste water & Chemical Toilet.

Date of Visit: September 2015 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Reviewer: LBBK 42 reviews from this member

Beware of the A591 ! It is a fast road with difficult left and right turnings into minor roads including the one for the campsite. Sadly the footpaths that lead from the site into the rather nice village of Staveley also cross the road - be very careful.

The site itself is large with many little subsections so it didn't feel too crowded. Some tent pitches are more sheltered, some are more open to both the sunshine and the wind. I suggest you discuss on arrival with the site team which you would prefer. You pay a 10 cash deposit for the barrier key.

There is actually a small pub serving meals on site! We didn't use it so can't comment but others gave positive reviews. The small site shop sells all the basics. The backpackers 'shed' is a rather nice touch giving some indoor space on rainy days. There is also a large discount outdoor shop just up the A591 - walking distance, if you can cope with the traffic.

There is plenty of good walking from the site. We followed the Dales Way to Windermere, well actually Lakeland Plastics, and caught the bus back to Staveley. You could also catch the train. Delightful mixture of field paths and quiet lanes that was well signposted. Staveley is a village with a Spar and Post Office.

More exciting to many will be the Hawkshead Brewery and Wilfs Cafe - both on the industrial estate towards the River Kent. There is also a very large cycling shop.

Previous     116 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

Win a 299 Clarke IG1200B Suitcase Generator! Win an Outwell Electric Barbecue Package worth over 205

UKCS Meet Elvaston Steam Rally Camping Weekend 6 to 7th July, Derbyshire