Reviews of Windermere Camping And Caravanning Club Site

Campsite Search > UK > England > North West > Lake District & Cumbria > Kendal > Windermere Camping And Caravanning Club Site Reviews

Windermere Camping And Caravanning Club Site
Ashes Lane
Staveley
Kendal
Cumbria   (Browse area)
LA8 9JS

Open: 07/03 To 06/01

Tent Pitches   Caravan Pitches   Motorhome Pitches   Glamping Units
 No Statics for Hire   No Statics on Sale   Seasonal Pitches  Caravan Storage Caravan Storage
 Chemical Disposal   No Battery Charging   Gas Exchange   Recycling Facilities
 No Kitchen Facilities   Freezer / Fridge    Motorhome Point
 Shop On Site   Bar On Site   Restaurant On Site   Wifi Access
 Kids Playground   TV Room   No Games Room   No Evening Ents
 Fishing 1 mile   No Wild Swimming   No Indoor Pool   No Outdoor Pool
 No Beach   Watersports 1 mile   No Boat Launch
 No Waterside Pitches   Public Transport 5 miles  Offroad Dog Walk On Site or Direct Access

Reviews:  122 in total, now showing 1 to 10                 Previous 10          Next 10
Jump to Page   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13

Date of Visit: September 2019  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Nights stayed: 2 Travelling as:  Family with young children
Reviewer: Siobha23778vgq 1 review from this member

We camped at Park Cliffe campsite for 2 nights in a VW camper van.

The toilet / shower facilities were really clean and well maintained and we enjoyed a great cooked breakfast in the bar / restaurant.

The staff were all friendly and helpful and we would definitely visit again if we were staying in the area.

Date of Visit: September 2019  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Annxsm31507spp 1 review from this member

Well laid out site with little clearings in the woods for small cozy groups of 6 or so units

All services pretty close by,

Lots of paths for walking the dogs.

Date of Visit: August 2019  Confirmed Booking Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Tonym324621uy 1 review from this member

Nice campsite with plenty of room to pitch tent

Good facilities on site

Bit expensive to stay but would return

Good for family's and couples

Nice pub on site and little shop

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Tent Rating:
Nights stayed: 3 Travelling as:  Mature couple
Reviewer: Adewicks 4 reviews from this member

We arrived at Windermere CCC to a warm welcome and were quickly checked in and showed to our pitch near reception.

After setting up we had a walk around the site which is huge but because of the layout never felt that way.

The toilets and showers were spotless and although the site was busy we never had to queue. No one is going to complain that the showers are cold, I found them to be uncomfortable hot.

We had a lovely day out on the Windermere train and boat, £24. 80 each, £2. 00 all day parking at Haverthwaite Stn, train up to Lakeside then boat to Ambleside and return. We had a lovely meal over looking the lake at the Waterside Inn Ambleside.

From the site the little village of Staveley is about a 30 minute walk where you can catch a train or bus to Windermere in one direction or Kendal in the other.

We had planned to walk up Striding Edge to Helvellyn but had to call it off due to the weather. Itís a nice touch that the site put a mountain weather report near reception.

We had a couple of meals in the nearby Whistling Pig which were ok but pretty average to be honest.

We had planned to stay for 5 nights but decided to cut our stay short due to noisy neighbours partying all night.

All in all a nice site.

Just a word of warning I used Waze which took me to the wrong end of Ashes Lane via crook road, I then used Google Maps which found the right way off the A591.

Date of Visit: August 2019 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Nights stayed: 7 Travelling as:  Retired couple
Reviewer: Only one stasia 2 reviews from this member

We were having trouble finding a late availability site, lucky for us we came across this one. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly bunch of wardens, given the choice of several pitches.

We were quite close to the exit into the dog walk which was handy for us with two Westies, but it was also a distraction as people were passing with their dogs. We had booked for 6 nights but asked at the last minute if we stay an extra night.

The facilities as always on C & CC sites were immaculate. Hot water was a bit on the hot side for me I would have liked to turn it down a-bit but the push button didnít allow for that. We didnít use the on site pub.

Site is well laid out with small grouping, it is quite away from the hustle & bustle of the more popular areas. Will definitely go back at our first opportunity.

Date of Visit: May 2019 Unit:  Campervan Rating:
Nights stayed: 1 Travelling as:  Solo traveller
Reviewer: Ratty 204 reviews from this member

I visited this site as I was heading deeper into the Lakes the next day to walk Illgill Head and Scafell and this was the best choice on the way for me. I also chose it based on the name, and foolishly did not research it properly as I wanted to stroll into Windermere from the site too. However this site is actually about 5 miles from Windermere, but you can still walk it if you like, but I did not have time, bit gutted but completely my fault.

Don't miss the turning off the A591 otherwise it is quite a long round trip to come back to try again, you shouldn't miss it as the sign is huge, but just bear that in mind.

On arrival I parked up and went into reception, the lady in there was really friendly and checked me in and explained where things were, where the pub / restaurant was and where I was to meet the next warden who will direct me to the pitch.

The reception also doubles as a shop and they had all the essentials, but I did not buy anything so cannot comment on the price of items.

The barriers are operated by a key fob and the gates are locked between 11pm and 7am.

I met the second warden who directed me to my pitch, he gave me a choice as it was midweek and I was only staying one night, so I chose one near the trees, but still got the sunshine into the evening.

As with most C&CC sites the pitches are quite close, and this is not normally my thing, however most people did not leave their caravans or motorhomes so it was not busy with people and dogs walking past.

This site is huge with many pitches to chose from, some in the trees, some in the open, some with and some without hookup and a tent only area too.

There were a couple of toilets blocks on site and these were spotless, each with plenty of toilets, showers, sinks and washing up. The showers are push button, but they lasted a while and the water was always hot.

There is also plenty of rubbish bins, with recycling point, chemical disposal, motorhome waste and water points.

The on site pub / restaurant looked nice and the prices were reasonable, however dogs are not allowed inside so this stopped me having a pint and something to eat.

Dogs are welcome on site, but the usual rules apply, on leads, clean up after them, restrict their barking, etc. There is not dedicated dog walk as such, however there is a path running down the side of the site and this leads to open countryside with stunning views of mountains and rolling hills. I took a 5 mile stroll and it was peaceful and there were sheep, so keep those dogs on a lead.

Locally Windermere is 5 miles away for you shopping, pubs, lake tours, etc. And the whole of the Lakes are on your doorstep.

A very friendly site, with great facilities and free site wide wifi. All this for £14 per night. Not my usual type of site, but I would defo recommend and I would stay here again as a stop off before heading deeper into the Lakes.

Date of Visit: September 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Bluesjnr 4 reviews from this member

I have to wonder if the Caravan and Camping club carry out any checks on the standards at sites that carry their brand as this one tarnishes the reputation of this organisation and colours my view of sites that come under their umbrella.

Superficially, it looks lovely but when you start to look under the veneer, serious cracks start to become evident. Let me start out by saying that the staff I met were all very pleasant despite reports to the contrary in other reviews. What was made clear in the welcome pack is the fact that they are not willing to help you, out of hours, unless you are experiencing a 'blue light' emergency. I'm not suggesting they should be at every bodies beck and call 24/7 but being available to assist at odd times kinda comes with the job.

To my own observations. Our first morning walk with our dogs resulted in a rather unsavoury sight right outside the site gates. There were three vans parked up with people sleeping in them, one a plumber who's kit was strewn all over the road and who had empty beer bottles balanced all over his vehicle and whom we had the unfortunate experience of catching a glimpse of as he rolled out of the back of his van. I'll be kind and just say, perhaps he was having a bad start to his day. I'm confused as to why the staff and owners condoned this parking up? Clearly they were not staying on site and clearly they could have been moved on. If somebody had cared enough to do anything about it.

As we proceeded on our walk on a road adjacent to the site and onto which the tented area backed we were treated to yet another example of SOME of the the people who use this site. Somebody had used the lane as a toilet and the disgusting smeared toilet roll was clearly visible draped over a tree. It may have been lobbed over the wall by a camper. Who knows?

Talking of things toilet, my partner reported that in the ladies toilet a large gap in the stall doors and the arrangement of the stalls allowed a view of the person using the facility whilst going about their business. Many reviews have criticised the state of the toilets and this is yet another observation. In fairness and for balance, I found the male toilets to be OK but in need of modernisation.

Rules are something not taken seriously at Windermere Caravan Site as rule breaches are common and the most common breach is the most dangerous. Speeding. All staff whether on bikes or driving around in that noisy old tractor completely ignore the 5 mph rule. They care not one jot for your or your childs safety. They are fairly laissez faire about their own safety it has to be said as, more than once, the noisy old tractor buzzed past with a passenger standing on the draw bar. I would submit that this is a breach of H&S regulations and it's only a matter of time.

Machinery puttering about the site was commonplace as an even noisier dump truck was a regular sight, speeding around delivering God knows what to God knows where? We were regaled one morning with a 7. 5 tonne truck (from Palletline, I think it was) speeding around the site and, surprise, the driver finding those tight turns were just too tight for a unit of this size. This meant that he was required to reverse, which he did with gay abandon. Not for him (or the staff) the inconvenience of making sure nobody was behind him or trying to leave the site in their own vehicle.

The site clearly runs at a profit yet there is no evidence of any significant inner investment in the site and my observation seems to be borne out having read other reviews here. There is a feeling that you are crammed in and this situation could be mitigated if the site were to reduce the hard standing pitches by around 1/3 which would still offer a good level of income. A thorough coppice of the trees would open the site up more also.

Those trees gave the site a dank and dark feel and prevent the sun getting through to the grassed areas meaning that during our wet stay they were soon churned up into mud. Mud that was subsequently dragged in to our awning. The shedding of leaves litters the pathways and they soon breakdown creating more detritus to cling to your shoes which make it's way into your van. Admittedly it was wet when we visited but it looked like the place hadn't seen a leaf blower in quite some time.

Things being left to rot is, once more, a common theme here as they have little side pitches, tucked away in places which seems to be seasonal. One of which had what can only be described as a filthy unsightly van parked on it which hadn't seen a wash in many a year. It's another example of the low standards in the camp site.

One final gripe (I promise) is that they do not take debit cards, only cash. It's 2018 folks, come and join us!

I will certainly not be back as it stands and this site is a blight on the brand of the Camping & Caravan Club. With a bit of investment and an improvement in standards this site could be an absolute corker and the overarching feeling I have on leaving is that of being fleeced.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Motorhome Rating:
Reviewer: Truediamond 83 reviews from this member

This site has just about every option open: statics of varying sizes, seasonal pitches, tents, glamping and pods as well as space for caravans and motorhomes. It is such a large site with plenty of shade and spaces that it's probably difficult to feel squashed in. There are several amenity blocks but it can be a fair walk from the top end of the site.

The site itself is a bit of a misnomer, as others have said, as it's about 5 miles outside the town. We didn't go into Staveley, the nearest village and pub so can't give of a view on it. There are plenty of walks close to site, including the first few miles of the Dales Way, an 80 mile path to Ilkley. Surprisingly, no one on site seemed to know about it.

The site just about meets the typical C & C standards but is, we thought, in need of some expenditure. Everything is clean but a lot has seen better days.

Date of Visit: July 2018 Unit:  Trailer Tent Rating:
Reviewer: Sbandmecox 1 review from this member

Never disappoints. Friendly efficient book in. They always do their best to site you on the area you want.

Beautifully clean facilities and with the added bonus of a bar! Lovely centre for local walks and attractions

Date of Visit: May 2018 Unit:  Touring Caravan Rating:
Reviewer: Caravan47 7 reviews from this member

Stayed here for 2 weeks.

Friendly helpful staff. Site is well organised, grounds well maintained will grass cut to a very acceptable level. Shower and toilet facilities are placed at convenient locations around the site and are immaculate.

The site is a credit to all the staff. A reasonable travelling time to both Kendal and Windermere. Beautiful site location.

Whilst we do not have children, the children staying on the site did seem to have a great time.

Previous     122 Reviews in total, now showing 1 to 10      Next

Other Sites Near Kendal      Other sites within 10 miles   -   All Sites in Cumbria

UKCS Meet Motorhome and Caravan Show 15/10 to 20/10, NEC Birmingham
All the new 2020 products, including caravans, motorhomes, trailer tents and folding caravans Ė plus 1000s of accessories ...more